Raj's Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDi Style Plus MY16

Thread Starter #1
Starting a Thread in TAI after a long time. Its all about my Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI MT Style Plus(MY 16)
Search for a New Car
The search for a new car begins an year back but due to the certain reasons, it came home on 28 Dec 2015.
Our research on new car began a year back, Now we just booked Rapid and took delivery.

Cars Considered
Myself a sedan guy. Whatever Low GC it may be and how much ever unfit they may be for our road conditions i still Love sedans. So SUV's were striked off the list.

Priority
Power and Handling with good suspension.
Ablilty to corner hard with minimal body roll.
A proper build quality Along with safety features.
should cruise easily in triple digit speeds as its driven in highways most of the time, as we may get a hatchback for city.
Moreover i was keen to get a European or American car.

Chevy Cruze
Pros
A head turner.
Power and torque figures.
sunroof ( I just love cars with sunroof!)

Cons
Not so spacious cabin.
New Facelift on the way, which may make older models much bad.

VW Vento
Pros
Power
superior interiors when compared with Rapid
offered with blapunkt Touch screen infotainment
Availablity of ASS in Pondicherry

Cons
A little bouncy when compared to rapid.

Skoda Rapid
Pros
Better Suspension When compared to Vento.

Cons
Unpleasant service experience by Owners.

Delarship Experience
Booked car at vellore Gurudev motors as chennai was flooded at that time.
Sales Manager Mr Jones Offered me some 70K Discount which was comparetively lower with all the quotations i got from skoda sales in Tamilnadu.
Being a year end none was ready to offer me a White MY 16 Rapid. Everyone wanted to sell an MY 15 with the same discount. Even some people convinced for different colour which i hate the most.
Delivery was given at the promised time. Went for delivery with our member Cooldhaya.

Difference Between MY16 and MY15 Rapid
MY 16 has 4 revised feature list such as
ORVM integrated indicators with Auto-Fold
Dimming IRVM
Cooled Glovebox
Rain Sensing Wipers

Power
Skoda rapid powered with 1.5 TDI engine which gives out a 105 PS @ 4500 Rpm and 250 Nm of torque.
Moreover companies owned by VW grp shows their power output from wheels directly and not from fly wheel.So this means while the power maybe less on paper , on road it feels very powerful!
Initially I really didn't feel its a big upgrade from fiesta but its not true. Rapid did wonders in our trip with Jetta and Abarth, it maintained a good pace with this two beasts. As we were doing triple digit speeds all the time In 4 lanes. The car is well quiet in speeds below 140 Kmph. Moreover did a top speed of 182 Kmph after completing my Run in period.

Suspension, Ride Quality and Handling :
Suspension is not so stiff nor soft, Good combinantion for a city and highway ride. Ride quality is excellent in highways till 140 kmph after which it starts to show the speed inside cabin.
Handling wise its good with zero body roll. im not used to electromechanical steering in rapid as i used hydralic power steering in fiesta. So i felt the steering response was good in fiesta than Rapid. In terms of city Driving Rapid's Steering is best.
With the convoy of Abarth followed by Rapid and Jetta we did a good 120 Kms in Ghat road in 2 Hours

Build Quality
Its one of main reason to select a European car. The THUD noise u hear each time you close the door makes us feel secure.
The feel when you look at the doors feel so solid.

Comfort
Seats feel atmost comfortable with a good under thigh support. Driving position is good. You can never feel tired after driving or travelling a good distance. Ac is real chiller, even in summer it keeps the cabin cool, Addition im using 20% VLT sunfilm.
Rear seat can accomadate 3 adults but due to AC vents, Only 2 can sit comfortably. Back seats have enough of under thigh support and leg room. Quite enough for my family. But when its compared to scala or sunny it has only a limited space then. Can't expect much space in rear seat of a drivers car.
It really has a good engine noise insulation and vibrations are controlled. Can cruise in 120 kmph in four lanes without any engine noise, speed masking needs to be mentioned specially here, one can never feel the car speed as 120 kmph until they look at the speedo, feels like 80 kmph. After 140 kmph you will start to feel the speed and engine is on breath till 160 kmph. beyond which it strains.

Drive Experience

At first entering into a sedan! Sat very low when compared to fiesta , dashboard was higher and entering into a european car, Im sure everything is focused for driver point of view. The center console was focusing me. Easy usage of HU and AC controls
Cranked the engine ! Feel from the ford to german was totally different.
Cabin was totally insulated even the floor didn't feel any vibration, Specially need to be mentioned here Rapid has rev limiter of 2.5k RPM.
Depressed the clutch and slotted into
Gear 1 : When you take your foot of the clutch, car started to move, there was much torque than i thought. But there is a lag in turbo.
Gear 2 : Again taking the foot of the clutch must of done carefully as the torque may cause jerks inside the cabin. Again there is a lag till 2 k RPM.
Gear 3 : From gear 3 the lag wont be felt much heavy ! Easy to push it beyond, in 3 rd gear 40-80 kmph with turbo is bliss ! Tall gear to be used much.
Gear 4 : which, im not using frequently !
Gear 5 : becomes a able cruiser in 5 th gear.
80 Kmph@ 1900 RPM
100 kmph @ 2300 RPM
120 kmph @ 2600-2700 RPM
140 kmph @ 3100-3300 RPM
Beyond which engine noise can be seen and i haven't noted the RPM figures below

Final answer about mileage (as per MID)
City 10-14 Kmpl
Highway (sprited driving) 17 Kmpl
Highway If driven sedatly got 22.1 kmpl
In my recent trip to karnataka got an average of 18.2 kmpl including ghat driving ! Guess it isn't bad !

Overall View
Really a good car of this price tag. say 10-12 lacs for a manual variant.
Not so enthusiastic as 1.6 TDI.
suspenion needs to little more stiff when your out with 2 powerful cars on a highway.
effective highway cruiser.

Feature List
Rapid Style plus MY 16 comes with
Halogen projector lamp with separate high beams.
Climate control AC with Rear AC vents.
ORVM integrated indicators with Auto-Fold
Dimming IRVM
Cooled Glovebox
Rain Sensing Wipers
Rear defogger
Leatherotte seats.
newer 15 inch Alloy wheel.
Dual Airbags
ABS
Dual Din Audio system with USB SD card and bluetooth with steering control.
Cruise Control.

So as of now it has completed 8K on ODO and completing 6 months with me. Its being used only on weekend and thunderbird is doing its duty on week days.

Will post the pics of my ride shortly and keep updating this thread regularly. Please feel free to ask if you have any queries , will be happy to answer.

Some teaser :
DSC_0042.jpg
IMG_7687.JPG

Last edited:
I am Rapid petrol user for last our and half year . Its really a fantastic car . I myself drove it at 120kmph with ease . Never darree to try it more than that as roads here are not that good .
If the third passenger in rear is a child its ok , but for adult its a bit uncomfortable . and direct rear ac vent is not that comfortable for a child .
The instrument cluster should have gps navigation .

Thread Starter #3
I am Rapid petrol user for last our and half year . Its really a fantastic car . I myself drove it at 120kmph with ease . Never darree to try it more than that as roads here are not that good .
If the third passenger in rear is a child its ok , but for adult its a bit uncomfortable . and direct rear ac vent is not that comfortable for a child .
The instrument cluster should have gps navigation .
Haha ! No kids here ji. most of the times only 3 on board.
Skoda has to think about giving a good touch screen infotainment.

Congo,
I agree with most of the points mentioned by you. For suspension you can install Urathane cushions on the springs, it improves GC considerably & imparts firmness to the soft suspensions.

Is it MT or AMT?
Post some pics of present HU.

Does your car comes with 'kick down' feature for quickly overtaking purpose.?

Congratulations Sir on your purchase.
There is no denying that you white beauty is really build like a tank.

My uncle have driven his Skoda Rapid (1.6 Diesel) more than one lakh kilometres without any issues.

One question can VW mirrorlink ICE be installed in Rapid.

Thread Starter #7
Congo,
I agree with most of the points mentioned by you. For suspension you can install Urathane cushions on the springs, it improves GC considerably & imparts firmness to the soft suspensions.

Is it MT or AMT?
Post some pics of present HU.

Does your car comes with 'kick down' feature for quickly overtaking purpose.?
Mine is a Manual variant ! Sorry its my bad i should have mentioned.
Ill post the pics once i clean my car. As of now its raining!
No plans to any mod in car as of now.
Kickdown feature is not in my rapid! Hope its with DSG

Congratulations Sir on your purchase.
There is no denying that you white beauty is really build like a tank.

My uncle have driven his Skoda Rapid (1.6 Diesel) more than one lakh kilometres without any issues.

One question can VW mirrorlink ICE be installed in Rapid.
Thanks bro !
Please dpnt call me sir !
Ya we can install mirrorlink ICE in Rapid.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Skoda Rapid. Wishes to clock many more miles without any issues.
Thank you so much bro !

Thread Starter #8
Some Pictures Do the justice
At The Delivery Of Rapid @Gurudev Motors Chennai
1.JPG
The Cabin
17.JPG
The Artificial Leather Seats
11.JPG
The Steering Wheel with audio control
3.JPG
Center console with HU and AC controls