It’s time for me to write my ownership review of a new Urban SUV – “EcoSport” Titanium Diesel Silver colored owned by me.
I am still surprised or shocked on my decision since till date I have been using only small cars like Santro & Beat.
Details of my previous cars can be reviewed here My White Beat - LT Petrol
I have still not improved myself on writing a good review so I will be copy pasting few lines from few other posts. The main idea is not to steal anybody else review but try to give a positive insight about what I feel about the car and if anyone else is planning to buy similar car my review should be able to help them in making right decision.
I have a habit of changing my car after every 5 odd years once the warranty is completed or car has reached more than 50 K on ODO. What I have in mind is for every change I should go with new brand, new color and higher segment. Like earlier I had my dad’s Cream color Fiat. I then purchased Red Santro (1100 CC), followed by white Beat (1200 CC) and now a high jump on EcoSport Silver color (1500 CC).
Although my Beat was less than 3 years old I had not even thinking slightly that this is time to change my car. One of my friend was looking for a SUV for him and so was I roaming with him to help him in buying a new one.
In one of the show room when we were waiting for TD vehicle I just happened to talk with the exchange person on how much I can get for my Beat which is just 26 K on ODO and less than 3 year old without a single scratch on it. Although the figures he gave were not exciting but then it became my habit to get the resale value checked in almost every show room where I went with my friend. Somehow I got the best deal from FORD and at same time I & my wife (who sponsored for my new SUV) liked EcoSport the most & decided to go ahead with the purchase.
As like others it was tough to decide on which model we should go for and the fight was between Trend model vs Titanium model and more fight on Petrol vs Diesel engine. My average running calculated was around 1000 odd kms; we somehow managed on Diesel option but getting confirmation on Trend vs Titanium was a big mess. The issue (I guess) with almost all of us is we tend to demand more and more but always lack with few hundred bucks when it comes to Vitamin M. But then me and my wife decided that in any case we are taking a big jump lets go with the one with top end version.
We booked the ES on 28th March and in order to save on new costing & new RTO rates the only option we had was White Trend or Silver Titanium.
For any other models or color we had to wait for 1 month which will anyway come at additional cost. So we finalized and paid the amount on Monday and got the delivery on 1st April. I did tell about the news to my friends and family members but all of them took it as April fool’s joke.
I got my SUV from Sai Sakshi Ford, Wakad, Pune. The buying experience was pleasant enough and got a perfect deal which no other dealer in Pune was ready to offer. Of course this was possible because of some good reference we had. On Road price outside Octroi came to 10.62. I got 3rd year extended warranty, 5 K as discount, free standard accessories (mud flaps, matins etc.)
I checked on VIN number before making the payment and found that car DOB was February 2016
Till today I have done 2700 Kms and thought it would be a right time to discuss about my initial review. Note that yesterday I had also done the first free servicing which was due for 2500 Kms / 3 months.
Exterior: This is better leave up to readers since today when the industry is flooded with too many cars each individual have their own perspective. I personally judge the car by its performance, maintenance cost, FE & very important the budget I have.
Interior: The car gives you a definite feel of premium segment. The 2 tone interior with a huge dashboard is what I loved at first sight. The Seats are way too comfortable and in my experience I have not seen the comfort level in same segment cars / SUV. The Leg space at back is equally spacious and overall who enters the car just says best about it. The Clutch, break accelerator and gear positions were perfect and even though driving the vehicle nonstop for odd 340 Kms was very comfortable.
About the SUV – This is my first experience with Diesel vehicle. I have read thousands of posts from the day I had booked my vehicle on how to drive a Diesel engine. What I gathered was the ES has one of the best driving comfort and is true driver’s car. The pickups, the silence (when all windows are closed) are too excellent for Diesel engine. Of course do not dare to start the vehicle with Bonnet open. You get a feel that you are owning tractor. Of course all Diesel engines would have a great amount of sound pollution but it depends on how the NHV levels are setup. At a speed of 90 Kms I still felt the ES to be comparatively silent.
Es is equipped with a long list of features. Of course it might be common for any high end vehicles but for me it was like feather on my cap to see all the features. None of my cars used till date had so many features. You can always get the list of features online so I am not listing all the features here but will surely like to comment on the ones which we liked the most
1. Keyless entry & start Stop button.
2. The MID on Meter console
3. The best in built music system
4. SYNC which connects to mobile and its hand free feature. – Although there are lots of settings required I guess it will take some time for me to get used to it. I read it online that one can share INDAI MAPS from our mobile to screen provided in ES but yet to get how this can be done. RnD is in progress & shall probably write details once I get my hands on using it.
5. Speed Lock Alarm
6. Front 2 air bags
7. Follow me headlamps – Earlier I thought if I would be using this feature but last week when I had travelled for one of my relative marriage & had to park vehicle at a no light zone I got the real essence of follow me light.
8. Charging Socket at rear seat along with one in front. The best part is you can charge you’re mobile even after you have switched off or locked your car.
9. Reverse Sensors – The best part is it considers the Stepney tire located at back plus the distance required to open the dickey door.
Coming to main part – “FE” - Somehow the FE on MID and the one calculated using tankful method is almost same. MID showed 18.2 whereas my tankful returned 18.5 KMS/LTR.
The only strange thing for me is this FE was returned for first 1200 Kms and then now suddenly the FE is been dropped recently to 15.8. Note that the car from day 1 is been used almost at similar location, same speed or same driving pattern; but then most of the experts said that this FE is good for a new car and will surely increase after 5 K odd Kms. I guess looking at my long drives and holiday season planned ahead it will be take just 2 months for me to reach this mark. I shall keep this thread posted on regular updates.
As said above all cars come with its own positive and negatives I am just listing the negative parts which I thought they are negative. This shall help the prospective buyers to decide if they can live with these negatives.
1. Right A pillar is way too thick for safety purpose. Having said that one needs to be extra cautious for traffic coming from right side. This is worst blind area and I guess it will take months to get used to it.
2. The Spare Tire is on dickey door making it hard to open. Also the dickey door opens out so one has to ensure you have sufficient distance at back for the door to open. In bumper to bumper parking slot one may not be able to open the door.
3. The engine sound from outside seems as of one has started tractor.
4. Clutch is not much smooth. I had same issue in TD vehicle but had neglected it assuming this is only on TD vehicle. Might be a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic.
5. Sometimes pick up on 2nd gear tends to too low especially on speed breakers one has to compulsory switch into 1st Gear which for me is annoying.
I agree this thread is not complete without the pictures. So here are some of them which I have clicked. I shall upload few more over this weekend.
As said I will ensure that this thread is alive and posted with updates as I run more miles.