New Maruti Suzuki Swift DDiS: First Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all doing great.

There was a lot of research and activity that was involved before I chose Swift VDI to be my car.

Decision Making
Initially I owned Santro and being frequent highway rider, I decided to own a diesel car. Later, I bought Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCI from second-hand car dealer. This was a big mistake I made, the reason being it was way beyond 2Lac kilometres and has alrdy come to bore. The seller and dealer both had cheated me and I had to pay price.

I thought of repairing it however with friends and my parents advice decided against it and bearing a huge loss, I decided to exchange with best market car show-room dealer.

Choosing the right Car
As you all guessed already by now, I want a diesel hatch back which is currently a trend-setter and value for money. Looks have to be good, should give good mileage, should be a good highway car and maintenance should be very less.

Keeping all these in mind, I started with the below car options:

a) The new figo TDCi
b) Elite i20 CRDI
c) Honda Jazz i-Dtec
d) Swift DDis

Lets go one-by-one briefly and write down what I liked in them and what not.

a) The new Figo:

Me and my friend visited Ford showroom and asked for new Figo TD. Within 5 minutes, we got the car. Test drove the car and specially liked its space inside, air-bags and ABS being standard across all variants, diesel 1.5TDCI is absolute delight to drive (I drove it on highway). However, I was really shocked to see the new delicate body of Ford as against its solid-build models from past.
Also, the Ford service quality is still not on par with the market leaders like Maruthi, Hyundai. Having wounded badly on service front in the past decided not to go ahead with Ford.

b) Elite i20:

This car had just made me go weak in my knees. What a design, I am absolute fan of fluidic design offered by Hyundai. This is a head-turner on the road. I took the TD (CRDI model) again on highway. I liked the build quality, space and up-market feel of this car. Coming to drive, I didn't feel the steering feedback which I am badly obsessed with. The wheel has zero feedback and is very light even at speeds of 100+ kmph and body-roll at 60+ is clearly evident. Being a premium car and Hyundai s expensive service (it is true, they are costly) made me hesitate to choose this car. A small rub in traffic to the tail lamp you should be ready to shell out thousands just to replace the tail lamp. Finally, decided not to go with it.

c) Honda Jazz:

First thing in Jazz is space, wow !! and awesome 1.5 i-DTec engine. But, the high price, and heavy body-roll at 100+ kmph, High noise of diesel enigne, skinny tyres and very few Service Centres for Honda were strong factors acting against it. The design, quality and features are the best and on par with elite i20. This car gives a sedan feel when you drive. However, the above factors acted against it for me.

d) Swift DDis:

This was last thing in my list, but I understood when I did TD of this car why its a top seller and commands top resale in Indian market !

My friend came in his VDI one day to my house. I took a spin in his car and immediately fell for it. I decided I will buy it and there was no second-thought.

What I liked:
a) The car drives holding road even at 120KMPH as if it is going at 60. Front seat Cushioning is splendid and top class in its segment.
b) Maruthi service is absolute bliss.
c) Diesel engine is almost silent and feels like you are riding Petrol version.
d) Decent and executive like interiors as opposed to Hyundai s dual tone and extra tid-bits (I personally like a single color and am against too much extravaganza like in Hyundai)
e) Amazing mileage of 22kmpl on highway and 17kmpl in city (hard to miss)
f) Last and most importantantly - resale Value !!

You might be thinking, there should be something that I will not be liking. Yeah your guess is right. Here you go:

Dislikes:
a) Rear bench space is less (ignorable situation for me)
b) Boot space is less (ignorable again)
c) Plastic quality is ok types when compared to Hyundai/Honda.
d) Premium price for what is being offered

still Swift diesel with its 1.3 fiat multi jet is amazing when it climbs on road, pure fun to drive and hard-to-catch car and makes you forget all the Negatives.

I will now let the pictures do the talk.

1) Car did alrdy 60KM on the delivery day, but I like the cool console, best in its segment

speedo.jpg

2) All tied-up and ready for the delivery
RFD.jpg

3) Perfect water-fall ICE and dimly lit orange, that I fell in love with.
WF.jpg

2) The rear stance that does make heads turn
rear_compress.jpg

3) The new DRLs provision given on front looks absolutely cool

DRL_compress.jpg

4) The graphite grey color looks just awesome from this angle
Best_compress.jpg

5) One thing that I didnt like being fitted with cheap JK Tyres (165/80 R14)
jk_comp.jpg

I hope you liked my first review.

Few modifications that I have in my mind for car:

1) want to change the JKTyres to best in industry tyre brands like Michelin/Bridgestone/Continentals, which I will be doing shortly in a span of few days.
2) Fit alloys (could be long term plan but for sure)
3) Fit the DRLs with DRL lamps.

Swift is one such car that every time I look at it in garage I always feel like sitting in driver seat and taking it for a ride. The heart misses its beat, when you drive it on highways. So Comfortable, Cushiony and absolute delight to drive it

I will be posting further as and when changes are done.
Dear Automotives - Your comments are most welcome

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all doing great.

There was a lot of research and activity that was involved before I chose Swift VDI to be my car.

Decision Making
Initially I owned Santro and being frequent highway rider, I decided to own a diesel car. Later, I bought Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCI from second-hand car dealer. This was a big mistake I made, the reason being it was way beyond 2Lac kilometres and has alrdy come to bore. The seller and dealer both had cheated me and I had to pay price.

I thought of repairing it however with friends and my parents advice decided against it and bearing a huge loss, I decided to exchange with best market car show-room dealer.

Choosing the right Car
As you all guessed already by now, I want a diesel hatch back which is currently a trend-setter and value for money. Looks have to be good, should give good mileage, should be a good highway car and maintenance should be very less.

Keeping all these in mind, I started with the below car options:

a) The new figo TDCi
b) Elite i20 CRDI
c) Honda Jazz i-Dtec
d) Swift DDis

Lets go one-by-one briefly and write down what I liked in them and what not.

a) The new Figo:

Me and my friend visited Ford showroom and asked for new Figo TD. Within 5 minutes, we got the car. Test drove the car and specially liked its space inside, air-bags and ABS being standard across all variants, diesel 1.5TDCI is absolute delight to drive (I drove it on highway). However, I was really shocked to see the new delicate body of Ford as against its solid-build models from past.
Also, the Ford service quality is still not on par with the market leaders like Maruthi, Hyundai. Having wounded badly on service front in the past decided not to go ahead with Ford.

b) Elite i20:

This car had just made me go weak in my knees. What a design, I am absolute fan of fluidic design offered by Hyundai. This is a head-turner on the road. I took the TD (CRDI model) again on highway. I liked the build quality, space and up-market feel of this car. Coming to drive, I didn't feel the steering feedback which I am badly obsessed with. The wheel has zero feedback and is very light even at speeds of 100+ kmph and body-roll at 60+ is clearly evident. Being a premium car and Hyundai s expensive service (it is true, they are costly) made me hesitate to choose this car. A small rub in traffic to the tail lamp you should be ready to shell out thousands just to replace the tail lamp. Finally, decided not to go with it.

c) Honda Jazz:

First thing in Jazz is space, wow !! and awesome 1.5 i-DTec engine. But, the high price, and heavy body-roll at 100+ kmph, High noise of diesel enigne, skinny tyres and very few Service Centres for Honda were strong factors acting against it. The design, quality and features are the best and on par with elite i20. This car gives a sedan feel when you drive. However, the above factors acted against it for me.

d) Swift DDis:

This was last thing in my list, but I understood when I did TD of this car why its a top seller and commands top resale in Indian market !

My friend came in his VDI one day to my house. I took a spin in his car and immediately fell for it. I decided I will buy it and there was no second-thought.

What I liked:
a) The car drives holding road even at 120KMPH as if it is going at 60. Front seat Cushioning is splendid and top class in its segment.
b) Maruthi service is absolute bliss.
c) Diesel engine is almost silent and feels like you are riding Petrol version.
d) Decent and executive like interiors as opposed to Hyundai s dual tone and extra tid-bits (I personally like a single color and am against too much extravaganza like in Hyundai)
e) Amazing mileage of 22kmpl on highway and 17kmpl in city (hard to miss)
f) Last and most importantantly - resale Value !!

You might be thinking, there should be something that I will not be liking. Yeah your guess is right. Here you go:

Dislikes:
a) Rear bench space is less (ignorable situation for me)
b) Boot space is less (ignorable again)
c) Plastic quality is ok types when compared to Hyundai/Honda.
d) Premium price for what is being offered

still Swift diesel with its 1.3 fiat multi jet is amazing when it climbs on road, pure fun to drive and hard-to-catch car and makes you forget all the Negatives.

I will now let the pictures do the talk.

1) Car did alrdy 60KM on the delivery day, but I like the cool console, best in its segment

View attachment 200994

2) All tied-up and ready for the delivery
View attachment 200995

3) Perfect water-fall ICE and dimly lit orange, that I fell in love with.
View attachment 200996

2) The rear stance that does make heads turn
View attachment 200997

3) The new DRLs provision given on front looks absolutely cool

View attachment 200998

4) The graphite grey color looks just awesome from this angle
View attachment 200999

5) One thing that I didnt like being fitted with cheap JK Tyres (165/80 R14)
View attachment 201000

I hope you liked my first review.

Few modifications that I have in my mind for car:

1) want to change the JKTyres to best in industry tyre brands like Michelin/Bridgestone/Continentals, which I will be doing shortly in a span of few days.
2) Fit alloys (could be long term plan but for sure)
3) Fit the DRLs with DRL lamps.

Swift is one such car that every time I look at it in garage I always feel like sitting in driver seat and taking it for a ride. The heart misses its beat, when you drive it on highways. So Comfortable, Cushiony and absolute delight to drive it

I will be posting further as and when changes are done.
Dear Automotives - Your comments are most welcome
Hi Car On, Swift is an amazing car and feels even great when we start driving it, congrats on your Swift VDi, the granite grey colour looks cool in the swift, and have a lot and lots of happy as well as safe miles ahead with it. Nice set of pics, And did you get any freebie from the dealer as accessories.
I think the alloys and DRL's are one of the perfect upgrades. I too Own a swift VDi but the pre facelift one torque blue color so far clocked 25,700Km on ODO. I too Have a ownership review on my swift VDi Attaching the link:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ue-rockstar-enters-home-maruti-swift-vdi.html And i also have a ford fiesta and its ownership review link is: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../24444-ford-fiesta-1-6-prince-comes-home.html
Do see it thank you[:)]
Attaching a picture of my Rockstar:

Attachments

Hi ,
Congrats for your new car.[clap]
Can you please post on road price and detailed features list that Swift VDI have.

Thread Starter #5
Hi Car On, Swift is an amazing car and feels even great when we start driving it, congrats on your Swift VDi, the granite grey colour looks cool in the swift, and have a lot and lots of happy as well as safe miles ahead with it. Nice set of pics, And did you get any freebie from the dealer as accessories.
I think the alloys and DRL's are one of the perfect upgrades. I too Own a swift VDi but the pre facelift one torque blue color so far clocked 25,700Km on ODO. I too Have a ownership review on my swift VDi Attaching the link:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ue-rockstar-enters-home-maruti-swift-vdi.html And i also have a ford fiesta and its ownership review link is: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../24444-ford-fiesta-1-6-prince-comes-home.html
Do see it thank you[:)]
Attaching a picture of my Rockstar:
FordFiesta 1.6 - I have seen your thread, well written. To my suprise wow so many mods to your swift shows your passion for the car.

I got Seat covers, Teflon coating, Car body cover, perfume/idol, car floor mats as freebies.

Few questions:
1. what size are your alloy and tyres ? Currently am desperate to change only tyres and alloys later
2. I want to attach DRLs to the fog-lamp DRL outlines. Do you have any idea on it?
3. The chrome strips to front-grill is best looking for your car, how much did you shell out for it?

Happy miles a head [:)]

Congratulations for new Car, wish you lot of happy miles.
Parveen - Thanks a lot for your wishes. I hope you have a passion for cars and your response shows it.

Hi ,
Congrats for your new car.[clap]
Can you please post on road price and detailed features list that Swift VDI have.
Nilesh - The On-road after the exchange bonus + corporate discount + original discount amounted to 7.3 lac to me.

The VDI I took has following features:

a) First thing I got freebies - Art seat leather covers, floor mats, Teflon coating, Car body cover
b) Features include - built in music system, ABS, EPS, Bottle holders, USB chargeable option, Auto-fold mirrors, Extra Coke can holder, ticket holder, all four power windows, split seat behind that is very much useful in case of extras.

FordFiesta 1.6 - I have seen your thread, well written. To my suprise wow so many mods to your swift shows your passion for the car.

I got Seat covers, Teflon coating, Car body cover, perfume/idol, car floor mats as freebies.

Few questions:
1. what size are your alloy and tyres ? Currently am desperate to change only tyres and alloys later
2. I want to attach DRLs to the fog-lamp DRL outlines. Do you have any idea on it?
3. The chrome strips to front-grill is best looking for your car, how much did you shell out for it?

Happy miles a head [:)]
Hi Car on, and thanks for your appreciation on my car's passion, and yes those are a good lot of freebies.

Answers for you question:
1.My alloy size is the same default 14", and the alloys are from of MGA i bought it set of 5 iand it costed me approx 22,000/-

2. Tyres are the same stock ones i would better suggest you to fit the alloys first and use the stock tyre till they get wear out as i use the same stock tyres, after changing the drum rims to alloys i saw significant width increase in tyres. so that i thought we shall use the same tyres till they get ware out after that i am going to upgrade the tyres to 195 section and apollo brand. i would suggest you to fit the alloys for now and change the tyres later.

3. There are DRL's for the swift which is mounted on the fog lamp let me attach a picture of it for your reference and it costs around 4,500/- - 5,000/- here in coimbatore i would better suggest you to buy the units online and fit it in your local accessories shop as in online it costs around 2,500/- -3,500/-

4. Talking about the chrome strip on the grill its a complete roll costed me around 450/- i bought it from rediff online shopping website attaching its link for your reference link:Buy 20m 10mm Car Auto Chrome Diy Moulding Trim Strip For Window Bumper Grille S Online | Best Prices in India: Rediff Shopping

And one small suggestion a MGA rear spoiler would really Jazz up the rear sporty appeal of your car [:)].

Foglamp DRL's Links:
1. Maruti Suzuki Swift NEW 2015 LED DRL FOG Lamp Cover Tube Type | eBay
2. MARUTI SUZUKI SWIFT 2015 LED DRL(DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS) FOG LIGHT COVER: Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike

Fog lamps pics:

Again Congratulations on your Swift [cheers].

Attachments

Thread Starter #7
Hi Car on, and thanks for your appreciation on my car's passion, and yes those are a good lot of freebies.

Answers for you question:
1.My alloy size is the same default 14", and the alloys are from of MGA i bought it set of 5 iand it costed me approx 22,000/-

2. Tyres are the same stock ones i would better suggest you to fit the alloys first and use the stock tyre till they get wear out as i use the same stock tyres, after changing the drum rims to alloys i saw significant width increase in tyres. so that i thought we shall use the same tyres till they get ware out after that i am going to upgrade the tyres to 195 section and apollo brand. i would suggest you to fit the alloys for now and change the tyres later.

3. There are DRL's for the swift which is mounted on the fog lamp let me attach a picture of it for your reference and it costs around 4,500/- - 5,000/- here in coimbatore i would better suggest you to buy the units online and fit it in your local accessories shop as in online it costs around 2,500/- -3,500/-

4. Talking about the chrome strip on the grill its a complete roll costed me around 450/- i bought it from rediff online shopping website attaching its link for your reference link:Buy 20m 10mm Car Auto Chrome Diy Moulding Trim Strip For Window Bumper Grille S Online | Best Prices in India: Rediff Shopping

And one small suggestion a MGA rear spoiler would really Jazz up the rear sporty appeal of your car [:)].

Foglamp DRL's Links:
1. Maruti Suzuki Swift NEW 2015 LED DRL FOG Lamp Cover Tube Type | eBay
2. MARUTI SUZUKI SWIFT 2015 LED DRL(DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS) FOG LIGHT COVER: Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike

Fog lamps pics:

Again Congratulations on your Swift [cheers].
Hi Fordfiesta 1.6,

Alloys will definitely take time but is certainly on chart. Currently, I ride heavily on highways atleast 2000 km per month (atleast for me this is high) and want to get rid of JKTyres asap, possibly this week or next.

I noticed 165/80 R14 having less grip at top speeds and looking at 185/70 R14 Continental/Michelin after some research in various websites.

Next plans are:

1. Fix DRLs and thanks for the links, the amazon link looked cool.
2. The Chrome strip is fantastic and I am going to fix it.
3. The rear spoiler am searching for graphite grey ones and yet to find it online.

I have a question - How about front silver grill for swift, many are fixing it now-a-days ? Whats your opinion ?

Posting few pics of my beauty (Insides):

Inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

inside3.jpg

inside4.jpg

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Swift. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Whether you contacted that used car dealer? you should have returned the car to them and get the money. Kindly dont believe any car dealers while buying an used car. Check with the showroom about the car service records and get a clear picture about the car before making the payment.

Hi Fordfiesta 1.6,

Alloys will definitely take time but is certainly on chart. Currently, I ride heavily on highways atleast 2000 km per month (atleast for me this is high) and want to get rid of JKTyres asap, possibly this week or next.

I noticed 165/80 R14 having less grip at top speeds and looking at 185/70 R14 Continental/Michelin after some research in various websites.

Next plans are:

1. Fix DRLs and thanks for the links, the amazon link looked cool.
2. The Chrome strip is fantastic and I am going to fix it.
3. The rear spoiler am searching for graphite grey ones and yet to find it online.

I have a question - How about front silver grill for swift, many are fixing it now-a-days ? Whats your opinion ?

Posting few pics of my beauty (Insides):

View attachment 201106

View attachment 201107

View attachment 201108

View attachment 201109
Hi Buddy, First of all sorry for the delay in reply, and i think you could fit rear spoiler with the dealer itself because it would be safe as it comes from the house of maruti[;)]. And IMO Its better not to fit the chrome silver front grill because the swift's main beauty is its grill and the entire front look the OEM ones are already looking cool, And after you add the chrome strip on the front grill it will surely jazz up the look elegantly yet sporty. So i would say a big no for the front chrome grill. But yes as you said the 165 section tyres lack stability on above 140Kmph we have to hold the steering tight to prevent the car from losing its grip surely the tyre upgrade is important as you told that you'll travel a lot on highways. Why can't you try the 195 section tyres as i am also planning to upgrade to the same. And a small suggestions as your car has as dark color better try some chrome like a window lining chrome, boot lid end chrome or even a chrome door handle. And a "S" badge on the grill like i have done in my fiesta which was bought on aliexpress. view the last page in my fiesta's thread to know how it looks.

Congrats for the new rides glad you choose a different color here in punjab every swift is white . wish you many happy miles with the car i was in your position too few months ago i too tested these car but i chose figo titanium TDCi because i got it for 7.27 OTR so decided to go for it.

Thread Starter #13
Hi, FordFiesta1.6 -

Yeah the 195mm is good but may not fit my stock rims, I should look at alloys.

But for swift 185mm gives sufficient stability and decent mileage. 195mm may protrude outside the car and to me that looks bit awkward [;)][;)]

Silver mesh yeah I too dont like it.

Next action items:

a) Fit the leather wheel cover (today or tomorrow)

Will keep posted.....

Congrats for the new rides glad you choose a different color here in punjab every swift is white . wish you many happy miles with the car i was in your position too few months ago i too tested these car but i chose figo titanium TDCi because i got it for 7.27 OTR so decided to go for it.
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your wishes.

Figo I did TD, yeah its value for money. I was bit scared on the service front from Ford as I had a very bad experience with my old Fiesta 1.4 TDCI.

I hope you will enjoy Figo and hopefull Ford improves its service and spares.

Swift is only one thing to me - 'PEACE'

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Swift. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Whether you contacted that used car dealer? you should have returned the car to them and get the money. Kindly dont believe any car dealers while buying an used car. Check with the showroom about the car service records and get a clear picture about the car before making the payment.
Hi Ambylovers -

Thank you for the wishes, already clocked 5k [:)]

I called up dealer and he asked me to get car to his outlet and said he will call the seller also. By that time, the car was already transferred to my name and I have been running it for almost 3 months.

I clearly know the dealer gimmicks, he will simply waste my time making me do rounds and the seller may very well end up saying - 'I only might have tampered'. Its just waste of my time and energy.

Only thing I should have done is - Verify the car credentials before buying it which I haven't.

Anyways, its Past and am enjoying my swift now :)

Hi, FordFiesta1.6 -

Yeah the 195mm is good but may not fit my stock rims, I should look at alloys.

But for swift 185mm gives sufficient stability and decent mileage. 195mm may protrude outside the car and to me that looks bit awkward [;)][;)]

Silver mesh yeah I too dont like it.

Next action items:

a) Fit the leather wheel cover (today or tomorrow)

Will keep posted.....
Yeah now i too think that 185/70R14 section tyres are the best fitting for the swift now i'll also go for the same thanks that you reminded me the tyre protrusion problem with the 195 section tyre. 185 section tyres are the best for swift. Yes the leather steering grip is important as you travel mostly on highways at hi speeds you need a nice grip feel with the steering i too have a steering leather grip attaching it picture for your reference as it have a good level of grip on high speeds [:)].

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
Hi car_on,

Have you installed AC cabin filter ? please check below link

Swift/Dzire AC Cabin Filter DIY
Parveen - Thanks for such enlightenment...I was clueless about the air-filter !! I will make sure I get one and installed. I will update soon...

I have seen your link and it is very clear described.

Yeah now i too think that 185/70R14 section tyres are the best fitting for the swift now i'll also go for the same thanks that you reminded me the tyre protrusion problem with the 195 section tyre. 185 section tyres are the best for swift. Yes the leather steering grip is important as you travel mostly on highways at hi speeds you need a nice grip feel with the steering i too have a steering leather grip attaching it picture for your reference as it have a good level of grip on high speeds [:)].
wow thats soo cool wheel grip ---

Going out now in few hours...and getting one. I will keep posted !

Top Bottom