Honda City VX CVT (Carnelian Red Pearl): Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
City Comes Home!!

Background : Have been looming over moving to an automatic car for a while now. Driving in Bangalore traffic at 9 in the morning & 6 in the evening was getting tougher. To top it, my left knee has been paining on and off for a while, which seemed to aggravate after these traffic busting sessions. I have been using Ols/Uber where ever possible & would avoid driving because of this..

Current Car : Though sold now, I still miss my Brio.. What a gem of a car.
I used it a little less than 4 years and did about 27k Kms (Yea, I know its very less) in it. Never had a slightest niggle or rattle. Had to give it away with a very heavy heart.

The complete biography of my Brio is captured in my first ownership review here.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...7395-new-honda-brio-smt-ownership-review.html

Decision Making
I initially wasn't sure of which car/segment I would go for, but was sure of one thing that it had to be automatic. I was open to both Diesel or Petrol, thugh petrol suited my needs more due to less driving and low maintenance. The small cars with the auto boxes like i10, celerio etc were ruled out because, if I was changing my car, it had to be a bit of upgrade at least.

Looked at Tata Zest, but no one in friends friends & family seemed to like the idea, and I could not convince myself of owning a TATA car either.
Took a test drive of Polo GT & Jazz which was the new kid in the block. Loved Polo for its performance, but Jazz made more sense as an overall package, considering it had paddle shifts and was almost 2 Lacs cheaper. Jazz at that time was 10L & Polo was touching 12 OTR.... I know Bangalore car prices are crazy.. thanks to the tax structure here.

Looked at Verna, but it wasn't inspiring when I drove my fiends 4 speed automatic. They need to step up the game here, others are way ahead with their automatic transmissions...

A couple of months passed by pondering over the idea, and there was a price hike in Jan 2016 followed by another price hike announcement in the budget of March 2016.

Having Hondas in the family, Jazz always on the mind after a few thinking sessions, made up my mind to go for Honda SV CTV as it was roughly 2.5 L more than Jazz and a worthy upgrade..

Then started the drama. Budget Price Hike was announced by dealerships, and could not get a car with the choice of colour at pre-budget price. A lot of whites were available, but home minister was totally against white (she says, it will look like a taxi, no offense to white car owners here).
By the time had made up my mind for Honda City already, so did some quick maths and figured out that after the price hike and after adding the stuff that I would put in immediately after the purchase (like leatherette seat & steering covers, reverse cam etc) the difference would be close to 1.5L. And also considering the fact that I would get the paddle shifts, Sun roof etc, decided to take the plunge and go for the fully loaded VX CVT.

Couple of shots from Day 1.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
We call her "Cherry"

The buying experience at Whitefield Honda, Bangalore was just OK. The Sales guy couldn't answer most of my questions and would try to dodge them... I was OK, as I had all my queries answered in online forums like this one.. Price breakup was as below.

Ex Showroom : 1178301.00
Road Tax : 222345.00 (This one drives me nuts [frustration])
Reg/Handling : 8500.00
Insurance : 31553.00
RSA : 4690.00
Zero Dep : 7511.00
Honda Connect Device : 2999.00
Corporate Discount : -7000.00

Total Cost : 1448899.00

I did not opt for the extended warranty, as it can be added anytime later.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Got Side Step Scuff plate from the dealership as an accessory.
Paid 5592.00 for that including installation.

I wanted the corner protector and outside door/body protector too, but it was out of stock, so it will be done in 1st service.

Realized that the Beige carpet getting dirty on the first day itself, so rushed to 3m the next morning for mats. The dealer ship gave some crappy transparent mats for free which I threw away.
Paid 7961.00 for the mats

Attachments

Thread Starter #4
After reading lots of online reviews, decided to upgrade Cherry's shoes.
Got Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60/R15 and gave away the Stock Bridgestone 175/65/R15.
Paid 16000.00 for the swap of four tires.

The ride has definitely become better, with less noise and more road grip.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Have done about 700 Kms till now mostly in the city and a couple of ring road runs, touched 120KMPH a couple of times. The Sports mode Manual is a delight. [:D] Here are some more pics.

I will keep the updates coming as and when they happen. Till Then Cheers Guys!!

Attachments

Hello sudeep.roy,
Congratulations on the Cheery Pearl Honda City.I love the new gen city due to its nice design.I hope that Honda after market service is good as I did not have any problem with my 2009 Jazz till date.Good that you have upgraded the tires,wish many many happy miles ahead with your Cherry.
P.S.:If I am right,your car is the top variant with the sunroof.
Thanks,

Thread Starter #7
Hello sudeep.roy,
Congratulations on the Cheery Pearl Honda City.I love the new gen city due to its nice design.I hope that Honda after market service is good as I did not have any problem with my 2009 Jazz till date.Good that you have upgraded the tires,wish many many happy miles ahead with your Cherry.
P.S.:If I am right,your car is the top variant with the sunroof.
Thanks,
Hi Shrijit,

Thank you for your wishes buddy. And yes it is indeed equipped with the sunroof.
I have posted a Pic (The second last one). Sun roof is nice especially in the mornings and evenings.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Honda City. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
I see you mentioned there was not a single niggle in Honda Brio and obviously it should not in 27000 kms. My uncle is having a Brio which crossed 1,10,000 kms and still its doing very good without any unwanted noise or interior fading etc.,

Thread Starter #12
Hi,
Congratulations on your new Honda City. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
I see you mentioned there was not a single niggle in Honda Brio and obviously it should not in 27000 kms. My uncle is having a Brio which crossed 1,10,000 kms and still its doing very good without any unwanted noise or interior fading etc.,
Hi Ambylovers,

Thank you for your wishes. And I am not surprised with your experience with your Uncle's Brio. It is a solid vehicle!! Through I drove it less, I can vouch for it any day. After all its a Honda!

Congrats Sudeep for the Oh-so-awesome Cheryy [clap]

Wish you many miles ahead and keep us updated.

BTW , what are the service intervals of auto cars ? same as normal city's ?
Thanks a ton for your wishes Vishnu. I will keep the thread updated for sure.

Also,

I took a picture of the Maintenance schedule from the manual. Looks like the service intervals are same. The only difference I can see is the replacing of Transmission fluid schedule. In CVT it is at 24 Months or 40k Kms whereas in MT it is 3yrs or 60K Kms.
I can't spot any other major differences.

Attachments

Thanks a ton for your wishes Vishnu. I will keep the thread updated for sure.

Also,

I took a picture of the Maintenance schedule from the manual. Looks like the service intervals are same. The only difference I can see is the replacing of Transmission fluid schedule. In CVT it is at 24 Months or 40k Kms whereas in MT it is 3yrs or 60K Kms.
I can't spot any other major differences.
Thanks for the clarification. Mine was changed two months ago and while going through the thread , came this doubt.[:)]

Have you tried the paddle shift ?

Thread Starter #15
Congrats Sudeep on your new car.
Thanks a lot Gandhi. Your Thread on "Vasantha Asthra" was inspiring and crucial to decision making. [:)]

Thanks for the clarification. Mine was changed two months ago and while going through the thread , came this doubt.[:)]

Have you tried the paddle shift ?
Ohh yeah, paddle shift is wicked [evil]. On city traffic conditions its of no use, apart from a situation where you need to use engine braking to slow down/stop fast. The paddle shifts can be used to come down to lower gears quickly.

But in open roads, its a different game. Especially in the 'S' mode when paddle shifters are used, the car goes to a manual mode. That means the car wont move to the higher gear automatically until you shift up. This brings out the raw power and engine grunt which I love. Downshift happens automatically though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom