Feel The Josh: My New Maestro Edge Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Search for a New Scooter

I have been in the lookout for a Scooter since middle of November 2015. I have visited TVS showroom and seen the Jupiter. I already own a TVS Wego and I know the most of the details of Jupiter, I did not ask many questions nor did ask for a test drive. TVS showroom guys were well known to me (I already bought two vehicles from them since last 5 years (TVS Jive and TVS Wego) and even ready to bring a Jupiter to my home for test drive. They didn’t have the latest Jupiter ZX model and the old one looks very old ( without any change of features) for me. (Even the latest TVS Wego comes with Combi Breaking System which was missing on my Wego, but the Jupiter missing that too).

Then, I went on to check the websites of scooter manufacturers and Automobile Forums and noticed that Hero Motors launched two new scooters few months back, namely Hero Duet and Hero Maestro Edge. So, I did some comparisons of both Scooters along with others (in terms of Engine/performance/features etc) mainly like TVS Jupiter, Mahindra Gusto, Yamaha Ray, Suzuki etc.

My main requirements are External fuel filling, Digital (Digi/Analog ok) Console, Pass switch, Side Stand indicator etc.

Mahindra Gusto has all these features except external fuel filling and also they don’t have a service station near my place (only showroom) hence did not consider this one.

TVS Jupiter has Pass switch, external fuel filling, 12” wheels but old model console and no Side stand indicator and CBS or IBS.

Yamaha and Suzuki Scooters – As said above, did not consider them because none of their models comes with External fuel filling feature.

Did not try Honda, because many of my neighbours have Honda scooter and some of them are not happy with After sales service(too much crowded)....

Eventually, I have shortlisted Hero Duet and Hero Maestro Edge (also kept an option of Jupiter but not with much preference)

Towards end of November 2015, I have visited the Hero Showroom to see the Maestro Edge which was my first preference but they told me Maestro Edge yet to be launched in Kerala(or whole of South India) hence they shown me the Hero Duet. Most of the features are almost same of Maestro edge except the wheels of Hero Duet are 10’’ instead of 12’’ for front wheel and 10’ for rear wheel on Maestro Edge. I got quotation for Hero duet and told them that I will wait for few days to see if Maestro Edge will be launched in Kerala...?

In the meantime, I sent an email to Hero motors regional office and after waiting about 7/8 days time, got reply from them advising that Maestro Edge will be launched in Kerala in January 2016. I have decided to wait till January 2016, not only for the launching of Maestro Edge, but also I don’t want to buy a vehicle in the year end (further, I bought the Tvs Wego during February 2015 and don’t want to buy another one in the same year).

On 4th January 2016, I got a call from Hero showroom here (from whom I took the quotation for Hero Duet), advising that they have got some news that the Maestro Edge launch delayed and likely will be launched only in March 2016. I have sent another email to Hero Motors (from whom I got earlier reply) to clarify the situation. They also confirmed that Launch of Maestro in Kerala is further delayed and now they expect some time in end February or first half of March 2016.[anger]

In the 2nd week of March 2016, I received an Email advising that TD vehicle has arrived at the dealer showroom(main office) and the vehicle will be possibly launching by end of March or early April 2016.

On 22nd March,2016, I have received a call from the local dealer advising that they have received few vehicle and booking can done, if interested. Accordingly, I have visited the showroom and paid Rs.1000 as advance however they told me that the vehicle will only be officially launched in Kerala only on 29th March 2016 and they can deliver my vehicle on 29th March or later..!. But unfortunately Black color was not readily available and I was told to wait around 10 days time for the next shipment on which they expect more Black color.

On 6th April the dealer called me that fresh shipment arrived and asked me to make payment. Accrodingly made full payment on same day evening, but they were not in a position to advise when the registration can be done since there are some technical problem with the RTO (software problem or proceedural delay due to recent ruling from the MVD that Free helmet, ladies guard.,ladies foot etc to be given to the customer without any extra payment but none of the dealers were not willing to accept this and thereby total chaos in the RTO).

Finally Registration was done yesterday (12th April), and I got delivery of the vehicle today noon time. On delivery the ODO meter shown only 3.5kms (may be the distance covered from the dealer office to the RTO). After taking delivery I drove around 3.5 kms i.e the distance from dealer office to my home.

Between the speed at 20 to 30kmpl, it seems the scooter vibrating little bit but after that the engine is very smooth. May be the vibration will be stopped after 1st service..!!?

Pictures will follow soon...

Thread Starter #2

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Re: Feel the Josh - My new Maestro Edge, Ownership review

The Scooter comes with 5 Year Warranty

Maestro Edge is warranted for a period of 5years or 50000 kms, whichever is earlier, from the date of purchase.

It is mandatory to avail all free services from the Hero MotoCorp's authorized Workshop only, as per the recommended schedule, to be eligible for warranty benefits. So, basically what they saysl is that if we miss one free Service, then we will lose the warranty benefits..[confused]

The Scooter comes with Maintenance Free Battery with Warranty for 18 months or 20000 kms or 21 months from the date of charging (whichever is earlier). 3 months idle period is allowed from the date of charging to date of sale on vehicle.

The Scooter comes with 6 Free Services covering 18 months or 15000-15500 kms whichever is earlier.

Thread Starter #3

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Some SS:

(Console -Digi/analog)

(Ignition Switch)

(Underseat storage)

(Fuel Tank Cap - fuel tank lid open condition)

(Fuel tank lid closed position)

(ODO/Trip meter, Fuel gauge)

(Mat)

(rear side of rear view mirror)

(Handle bar with brake lever)

(Exhaust Muffler)

(Boot light)

Some SS:

(Console -Digi/analog)

(Ignition Switch)

(Underseat storage)

(Fuel Tank Cap - fuel tank lid open condition)

(Fuel tank lid closed position)

(ODO/Trip meter, Fuel gauge)

(Mat)

(rear side of rear view mirror)

(Handle bar with brake lever)

(Exhaust Muffler)

(Boot light)
Congrats once again @Nairrk, some interesting things I observed.

Exhaust : looks like a bike, super.
Instrument Console : informative, do check it out in the afternoon sun.
Air Pressure : 22psi for 12" front & 29/32psi for 10" rear?

Enjoy your ride.

Vinod

Thread Starter #5

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Fuel Gauge

The approximate amount of fuel quantiy available in the fuel tank is indicated by the number of vertical bars in the display. Each segment display approx 1.0 litre of fuel. If all the vertical bars are displayed it means fuel qauantity in the fuel tank is 5.5 litres.

if only one vertical bar is displayed and blinks, this indicates that the fuel quantity is low and the fuel tank should be refilled as soon as possible.

Immobilizer

This scooter is provided with an immobilizer system. This is an anti-theft device built into the ignition system, which prevents the engine to start without an authorized key.

Catalytic Converter

The Scooter is equipped with a catalytic converter in the muffler. So, they recommend to use unleaded petrol.

USB Charger

A USB Charger with a cap is provided in the scooter to charge mobile safely while riding but there are no mobile holder or stand nearby which means while on move the mobile can be moved/rolled here and there due to vibration?

The Scooter is equipped two luggage hooks - one is located in the front and another one in the year.

Congrats Nairrk. Nice review. Maestro Edge is loaded with features.

You can cover your mobile with a clean micro fibre cloth which will prevent it from scratching even if moves. You can also check if keeping the mobile in an anti skid mat helps.

Thread Starter #7

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Congrats Nairrk. Nice review. Maestro Edge is loaded with features.

You can cover your mobile with a clean micro fibre cloth which will prevent it from scratching even if moves. You can also check if keeping the mobile in an anti skid mat helps.
I have found 2 small compartments in the side of the underseat storage area where the mobile phone can be kept without rolling or moving it even if we sudden brake the scooter.

Here are the compartments:

54.jpg

(Tool kit/First Aid kit holder)

55.jpg

(Document Compartment)

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Scooter, Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.

Mods : Kindly move to Two wheeler section to get more visibility of this thread.

congrats nairrk... even am in market for scooter. How did you choose between duet and edge? only tyre size warrant higher price?

Thread Starter #10

Nairrk

Honoured Member
congrats nairrk... even am in market for scooter. How did you choose between duet and edge? only tyre size warrant higher price?
Maestro Edge and Duet are almost same in Engine capacity, power etc. Only few changes in VX models are:

Duet comes with full metal body and because of this it weighs 6kgs more than Edge. As such there will be slight variation(about 2kmpl as per Hero) in mileage.

Other extra features in Maestro Edge are:

-External fuel filling with flap cover
-12'' front wheel (duet has both 10'' wheels)
-Alloy wheels
-Built-in immobilizer

Also the Edge gives a bigger boy look among other scooters..! (as commented by others)[roll]

Thread Starter #11

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Update:

Its one week now since I took delivery of the Scooter, but not much running (too hot to go out in the day time). As of now total run 68 kms.

2 things I found so far:

-I have filled up 3 liters of Petrol immediately after taking delivery (the gauge was blinking and the guy told me to fill up oil quickly). Now the fuel gauge again started blinking which means total 66 kms run for 3 liter petrol which equals to 22kmpl only? May be new engine and it behaves like this?

- When de accelerating there are some sound like ''crrrrrrrrrrr'' coming from engine or from rear side of the body - What could be the reason??

Update:

-I have filled up 3 liters of Petrol immediately after taking delivery (the gauge was blinking and the guy told me to fill up oil quickly). Now the fuel gauge again started blinking which means total 66 kms run for 3 liter petrol which equals to 22kmpl only? May be new engine and it behaves like this?
The gauge starts blinking at around 2 litres. So tankfull to tankfull method will be the best way to calculate FE.

Update:

... -I have filled up 3 liters of Petrol immediately after taking delivery (the gauge was blinking and the guy told me to fill up oil quickly). Now the fuel gauge again started blinking which means total 66 kms run for 3 liter petrol which equals to 22kmpl only? May be new engine and it behaves like this?

- When de accelerating there are some sound like ''crrrrrrrrrrr'' coming from engine or from rear side of the body - What could be the reason??
Congrats Nairrk.
I don’t think FE of Edge is only 22KMPL. It gives atleast 50KMPL I guess.
As Rahul mentioned the best way to calculate FE is through full tank to full tank method.
Again in the first fill it is bit confusing to calculate. So from next fill onwards you get an idea on how much of mileage your scooter gives.

Is your ‘crrrrrr’ noise resolved?
Please check if something is stuck in engine area or in rear tyres. If sound continues please visit the showroom and ask them to rectify it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Congrats Nairrk.
I don’t think FE of Edge is only 22KMPL. It gives atleast 50KMPL I guess.
As Rahul mentioned the best way to calculate FE is through full tank to full tank method.
Again in the first fill it is bit confusing to calculate. So from next fill onwards you get an idea on how much of mileage your scooter gives.

Is your ‘crrrrrr’ noise resolved?
Please check if something is stuck in engine area or in rear tyres. If sound continues please visit the showroom and ask them to rectify it.
Thanks

Yes, I have again filled with 3.0 liters of petrol and set the trip-meter to '0'. Let me see how it works out now.

Regarding the noise - it seems the noise is reduced but still feeling some kind of vibration at low speed. I think it is better to report all these minor issues during the first service..!

Thread Starter #15

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I have tried to decode the VIN number of my Meastro Edge..

Their manual says as :

Frame No: MBLXXXXABYZXYYYYY

MBL - Manufacturer code
XXXXAB - Vehicle Description
Y - Year of manufacturing
Z - Assembly Plant
X - Month of manufacturing
YYYYY - Serial Number

On the basis of above, I have tried to decode as under:

VIN Nmbr: MBLJF33AAG4C22641

MBL - Manufacturer Code (Hero)
JF33 AA - MAESTRO EDGE VX (If last 2 letters are AB, then its LX variant)
G - 2016
4 - GURGAON (Assembly Plant)
C - March
22641 - Vehicle Serial Number

So, this Vehicle manufactured/assembled in March 2016.!

(I presume above decoding is correct[roll])

Top Bottom