Tata Zest Platinum Silver - My Little Volvo Bus

Thread Starter #1
"All cars have their own purpose"

Before coming to the tata zest review, one statement I would like to make is that if ford was selling the 1.6 petrol ford fiesta classic or the new generation 2014 fiesta while I was in the market to buy a car I would have bought either one of those and this thread wouldn't even exist.

Tata !!!! Why tata ? said my friend

Are you mad ? said my colleagues

Why don't you go for a maruti ? said my well wishers

Tata zest is a waaasssttttte car !!!! said my neighbours driver whom I thought of taking to the showroom to book the fiat linea.

Tata zest can't hold a candle to the honda jazz sir, why are you cancelling the honda jazz please rethink ? said the sales advisor of honda cars after I told my decision to him.

Tata makes cars out of garbage and screw them to run as a car said my FNG mechanic

These were the statements made by many when I said I was looking to buy a tata zest.

Now many of you would be thinking why I used fiat linea and honda jazz as options and why did I go for a zest which is way cheaper than fiat linea.

This is something you will come to know once you read this review.

By the time I paid the booking amount of the zest

- I had test driven almost 10 cars of various segments

- I test drove the zest for 3 times from 3 different dealers

- My blood pressure increased by 4 units

- I gave headache and heartache to all my friends and relatives (depending on how they took the news) [lol]

- My parents gave up on me that I was going crazy .

Sorry to keep you waiting and let's get started.

Before 2013 I never thought I would even own a car.

Yup , you read it right.

Though I learned how to drive a car I wasn't sure of ever owning it.

In my family no one even knows how to drive and I was born to drive.

The car I first drove was a 230 grams toy car that I used to zip across the walls and floors of our house in my childhood. :lol!:

It all started when my uncle was looking to sell his santro and offered to sell it to my dad.

My dad didn't know that I already was ripping the hell out of different cars of my friends on our roads and hesitatingly accepted as it was an old car and any damage to it won't bring much of a heart pain to anyone as he felt I would be learning to drive a car.

And the first car came to our house in march 2014.

Fast forward october 2014, we covered tirupati, nagarjuna sagar, coastal andhra including vijayawada,machilipatnam and godavari districts, alampur, wargal, medak, warangal, ramappa, laknavaram, mahanandi, kalahasti and all local places in and around hyderabad.

My dad was so sad and said many times "had I known you would drive so well, I would have bought a new car".

Twist in the plot

While returning from tirupati in oct 2014 towards hyderabad we had crossed cuddapah when there was a particular 4 lane stretch where an auto was stopped in the slow lane. I was hitting 80 kmph continuosly when I saw a buffalo jumped on to the road and I didn't expect it to come on to the highway, but it did.

I hard breaked the car and honked but the car didn't stop as anticipated and the buffalo hit perpendicularly while it was in running over the left headlamp of the car and its horns made a big crack on the windshield and it rolled/somersaulted in air 180 degrees grazing the left side doors and fell on the road.

I had to hit the buffalo and didn't even try to swerve as I would hit the auto if I took a left and hit the divider if I took a right. The car slowed to 55 kmph after hitting the buffalo. You can understand the impact both the buffalo and car took.

We all were safe and no one was hurt.

The santro took the beating well with the left headlamp gone kaput, left bumper broke, cracked windshield and the left doors got jammed due to the impact. We continued on to the journey with one headlight till hyderabad in the same condition. We got it repaired and used the car well.

The last long trip in the santro was to vemulawada in 2015 and it performed flawlessly.

Santro was reliable and inspite of being 13 years old car it would go on at 90 kmph all day long. Even if we didn't use it much the car would still go on and on and on and all it needed was a twist of the key.

This made me firmly believe that my next car should have strong build quality and have good brakes and airbags.

It took almost 6 months to buy a new car and in this time I test drove many cars and spent many sleep less nights, hours of discussions with my near and dear and lots of research online.

You will see me comparing the santro with these cars, that's because I was looking for its replacement. No offence to any owners and the opinions are my own.

My requirements from the new car

- Should be abuse friendly, as I would be the one abusing it [evil]

- Strong build quality, which is an absolute must given our increasing traffic conditions and risks associated with it.

- Good ride quality, as most of the roads I drive are either undulated, broken or potholed thanks to the ongoing metro rail works in hyderabad.

- ABS and airbags

- Good music system, the santro didn't had a music system and I didn't even care to install one as I usually prefer to drive in silence, but my priorities changed.

- Powerful enough for our expressways, which is one area where the 3 cylinder engine of the santro fell short.

- ease of maintenance and reasonable priced spare parts.

- spacious and comfortable.

Nissan Sunny

Space Space Space

The petrol sunny was very poor in performance and had one of the worst gear ratios I have ever seen. It had good low end torque but beyond the 3rd or 4th gear the engine was dull.

The diesel sunny had very negligible turbo lag and the car was very driveable.
Pathetic after sales and skinny dealer network along with delicate build and soft suspension set up of sunny made me do away with it.

Tata zest AMT

Though one doesn't feel the pressure of using the clutch, the car is not fun to drive, had massive turbo lag. The gearing is difficult to tackle on inclines and the car would roll back inspite of accelerator inputs.

Wagon r

Another hatchback of the same segment as santro and didn't feel like an upgrade.

Honda Jazz

Poor low end torque of the petrol, stinginess of quality and features from honda and its inability of handling bad roads when compared to the linea and zest.
Me and my dad really loved the jazz due to its all rounded nature and wanted to ignore these short comings and go for it.
Jazz was overpriced by honda for what they were offering to the customers.
The SV variant of jazz had almost the same features of the xms variant of zest, but after offers and discounts by both honda and tata, the difference in price was a huge 70,000 INR. Had it been give or take 10,000 INR we would have bought home the jazz.

Fiat linea

The t jet petrol had insane turbo kick and acceleration and was a super VFM considering the discounts fiat was offering.
Since the linea would be used mostly in city, the t jet was not that fun as it was very rare to cross the 2000-2500 rpm mark. The difference between the economical diesel linea and t jet was just 40,000 rupees.

The diesel linea had massive turbo lag, needed lots of gear shifts the turning radius was something one needs to get used to.

The ride quality was light years ahead of all the cars I have driven and the build quality was superb. You can literally feel it to move like a tank on the indian roads.
I wish they should have corrected the gearbox and make it slicker.

Toyota etios

We hear some wars were waged for years. Here is one war that is the longest to have made in this buying process. It is the etios vs zest war. The etios was a strong contender till the day before I booked the zest.

The petrol was superb, I scared the hell out of the SA when he saw me overtaking vehicles in the etios. This car is a gem. It had space, huge boot space, durable and reliable and is cheap to maintain.

The first thing was toyota was charging a premium for this car, the car was very delicate and the usual knick and knacks and dents would be a pain on this car. I had to get all accessories done again separately even after paying more than the zest. The petrol owners complained that it was not fuel efficient and there is this air-con issue which was being brought to notice.

Many complaints that airbags were not deploying hit the final nail in the coffin.

Ford Figo aspire

The petrol aspire is a proper commuter car and is just there to do its job. The difference between the variants of zest and aspire variant to variant was ranging from 50,000 INR to one lakh for the top variant !!!

The aspire was not spacious like the zest in the rear seat and ford has made a mass market car for india. If it were some other manufacturer I wouldn't have cared, but it is ford we are talking about and I was seriously disappointed with the ride and handling of the aspire after looking at fiesta classic and new fiesta.

I am not including other cars as they are not worth the mention.

We got the best deal for our santro due to exchange bonus by tata and various discounts.

Test drove it 3 times from 3 different dealers, and didn't like the revotron.

I said to myself that these must be test drive cars and are usually neglected a lot.

The NVH levels were good and the car was very comfortable.

The ride quality was good and it handled bad roads very well.

The music system was excellent.

I went for the xms variant as I didn't find the touch screen that important for the music system and the features I would be losing were not that substantial.

The difference was almost 60,000 rupees.

But it ticked all the boxes and so I went for it as this was keeping in mind a family car and not only for me in particular.

Stay tuned to this thread when I come back with my driving experience, pics and important observations.

"All cars have their own purpose"

Before coming to the tata zest review, one statement I would like to make is that if ford was selling the 1.6 petrol ford fiesta classic or the new generation 2014 fiesta while I was in the market to buy a car I would have bought either one of those and this thread wouldn't even exist.

Tata !!!! Why tata ? said my friend

Are you mad ? said my colleagues

Why don't you go for a maruti ? said my well wishers

Tata zest is a waaasssttttte car !!!! said my neighbours driver whom I thought of taking to the showroom to book the fiat linea.

Tata zest can't hold a candle to the honda jazz sir, why are you cancelling the honda jazz please rethink ? said the sales advisor of honda cars after I told my decision to him.

Tata makes cars out of garbage and screw them to run as a car said my FNG mechanic

These were the statements made by many when I said I was looking to buy a tata zest.

Now many of you would be thinking why I used fiat linea and honda jazz as options and why did I go for a zest which is way cheaper than fiat linea.

This is something you will come to know once you read this review.

By the time I paid the booking amount of the zest

- I had test driven almost 10 cars of various segments

- I test drove the zest for 3 times from 3 different dealers

- My blood pressure increased by 4 units

- I gave headache and heartache to all my friends and relatives (depending on how they took the news) [lol]

- My parents gave up on me that I was going crazy .

Sorry to keep you waiting and let's get started.

Before 2013 I never thought I would even own a car.

Yup , you read it right.

Though I learned how to drive a car I wasn't sure of ever owning it.

In my family no one even knows how to drive and I was born to drive.

The car I first drove was a 230 grams toy car that I used to zip across the walls and floors of our house in my childhood. :lol!:

It all started when my uncle was looking to sell his santro and offered to sell it to my dad.

My dad didn't know that I already was ripping the hell out of different cars of my friends on our roads and hesitatingly accepted as it was an old car and any damage to it won't bring much of a heart pain to anyone as he felt I would be learning to drive a car.

And the first car came to our house in march 2014.

Fast forward october 2014, we covered tirupati, nagarjuna sagar, coastal andhra including vijayawada,machilipatnam and godavari districts, alampur, wargal, medak, warangal, ramappa, laknavaram, mahanandi, kalahasti and all local places in and around hyderabad.

My dad was so sad and said many times "had I known you would drive so well, I would have bought a new car".

Twist in the plot

While returning from tirupati in oct 2014 towards hyderabad we had crossed cuddapah when there was a particular 4 lane stretch where an auto was stopped in the slow lane. I was hitting 80 kmph continuosly when I saw a buffalo jumped on to the road and I didn't expect it to come on to the highway, but it did.

I hard breaked the car and honked but the car didn't stop as anticipated and the buffalo hit perpendicularly while it was in running over the left headlamp of the car and its horns made a big crack on the windshield and it rolled/somersaulted in air 180 degrees grazing the left side doors and fell on the road.

I had to hit the buffalo and didn't even try to swerve as I would hit the auto if I took a left and hit the divider if I took a right. The car slowed to 55 kmph after hitting the buffalo. You can understand the impact both the buffalo and car took.

We all were safe and no one was hurt.

The santro took the beating well with the left headlamp gone kaput, left bumper broke, cracked windshield and the left doors got jammed due to the impact. We continued on to the journey with one headlight till hyderabad in the same condition. We got it repaired and used the car well.

The last long trip in the santro was to vemulawada in 2015 and it performed flawlessly.

Santro was reliable and inspite of being 13 years old car it would go on at 90 kmph all day long. Even if we didn't use it much the car would still go on and on and on and all it needed was a twist of the key.

This made me firmly believe that my next car should have strong build quality and have good brakes and airbags.

It took almost 6 months to buy a new car and in this time I test drove many cars and spent many sleep less nights, hours of discussions with my near and dear and lots of research online.

You will see me comparing the santro with these cars, that's because I was looking for its replacement. No offence to any owners and the opinions are my own.

My requirements from the new car

- Should be abuse friendly, as I would be the one abusing it [evil]

- Strong build quality, which is an absolute must given our increasing traffic conditions and risks associated with it.

- Good ride quality, as most of the roads I drive are either undulated, broken or potholed thanks to the ongoing metro rail works in hyderabad.

- ABS and airbags

- Good music system, the santro didn't had a music system and I didn't even care to install one as I usually prefer to drive in silence, but my priorities changed.

- Powerful enough for our expressways, which is one area where the 3 cylinder engine of the santro fell short.

- ease of maintenance and reasonable priced spare parts.

- spacious and comfortable.

Nissan Sunny

Space Space Space

The petrol sunny was very poor in performance and had one of the worst gear ratios I have ever seen. It had good low end torque but beyond the 3rd or 4th gear the engine was dull.

The diesel sunny had very negligible turbo lag and the car was very driveable.
Pathetic after sales and skinny dealer network along with delicate build and soft suspension set up of sunny made me do away with it.

Tata zest AMT

Though one doesn't feel the pressure of using the clutch, the car is not fun to drive, had massive turbo lag. The gearing is difficult to tackle on inclines and the car would roll back inspite of accelerator inputs.

Wagon r

Another hatchback of the same segment as santro and didn't feel like an upgrade.

Honda Jazz

Poor low end torque of the petrol, stinginess of quality and features from honda and its inability of handling bad roads when compared to the linea and zest.
Me and my dad really loved the jazz due to its all rounded nature and wanted to ignore these short comings and go for it.
Jazz was overpriced by honda for what they were offering to the customers.
The SV variant of jazz had almost the same features of the xms variant of zest, but after offers and discounts by both honda and tata, the difference in price was a huge 70,000 INR. Had it been give or take 10,000 INR we would have bought home the jazz.

Fiat linea

The t jet petrol had insane turbo kick and acceleration and was a super VFM considering the discounts fiat was offering.
Since the linea would be used mostly in city, the t jet was not that fun as it was very rare to cross the 2000-2500 rpm mark. The difference between the economical diesel linea and t jet was just 40,000 rupees.

The diesel linea had massive turbo lag, needed lots of gear shifts the turning radius was something one needs to get used to.

The ride quality was light years ahead of all the cars I have driven and the build quality was superb. You can literally feel it to move like a tank on the indian roads.
I wish they should have corrected the gearbox and make it slicker.

Toyota etios

We hear some wars were waged for years. Here is one war that is the longest to have made in this buying process. It is the etios vs zest war. The etios was a strong contender till the day before I booked the zest.

The petrol was superb, I scared the hell out of the SA when he saw me overtaking vehicles in the etios. This car is a gem. It had space, huge boot space, durable and reliable and is cheap to maintain.

The first thing was toyota was charging a premium for this car, the car was very delicate and the usual knick and knacks and dents would be a pain on this car. I had to get all accessories done again separately even after paying more than the zest. The petrol owners complained that it was not fuel efficient and there is this air-con issue which was being brought to notice.

Many complaints that airbags were not deploying hit the final nail in the coffin.

Ford Figo aspire

The petrol aspire is a proper commuter car and is just there to do its job. The difference between the variants of zest and aspire variant to variant was ranging from 50,000 INR to one lakh for the top variant !!!

The aspire was not spacious like the zest in the rear seat and ford has made a mass market car for india. If it were some other manufacturer I wouldn't have cared, but it is ford we are talking about and I was seriously disappointed with the ride and handling of the aspire after looking at fiesta classic and new fiesta.

I am not including other cars as they are not worth the mention.

We got the best deal for our santro due to exchange bonus by tata and various discounts.

Test drove it 3 times from 3 different dealers, and didn't like the revotron.

I said to myself that these must be test drive cars and are usually neglected a lot.

The NVH levels were good and the car was very comfortable.

The ride quality was good and it handled bad roads very well.

The music system was excellent.

I went for the xms variant as I didn't find the touch screen that important for the music system and the features I would be losing were not that substantial.

The difference was almost 60,000 rupees.

But it ticked all the boxes and so I went for it as this was keeping in mind a family car and not only for me in particular.

Stay tuned to this thread when I come back with my driving experience, pics and important observations.
You have made a good choice and I am especially eager to read your comments on your neighbor's and every other person's reaction after they actually saw and felt the car in person. Herd mentality is mind-poison!

Hi,
Tata Zest is a very good car. kindly dont think the tata before 5 years. Now they are too keen to introduce good models to compete in all segments.

Looking forward for the pictures.

bhvm

Honoured Member
zest is such an underrated car!
wish you many Happy miles with the car.

do post pics of the beast.

Congrats Buddy. ZEST is very good car and I owned Diesel one from 1.5 years. I haven't face any problem.

Good choice ... Happy Driving

Thread Starter #6
Sorry to keep you guys waiting. Here comes the second part.

We already have an awesome official review and ownership reviews of tata zest in our beloved TAI.

I will try to focus on the finer aspects of zest here and try my best to share my experiences. The views expressed may sound a bit harsh, but they are the facts on how zest is built.

Revotron Engine

To be honest the only petrol engines that can justify the zest's kerb weight is the 1.4L K-series engine used in ertiga and ciaz or the 1.6 sigma duratec engine used in the earlier fords. The 1.4L for fuel efficiency and the 1.6L for all round performance and driveability.

This engine is not enough to carry the huge 1115 kgs kerb weight of the xms petrol.

When I say not enough it doesn't mean zest is sluggish, it means the engine has some short comings when being used in this vehicle.

Tata has tried its best to make use of the turbo, the reason is to extract more fuel efficiency from it.

This turbo is small so there's no insane turbo kick that one finds in chevrolet cruze or the vento- rapid brothers or the fiat linea t-jet.

The power delivery is good in the initial 2 gears which helps driving in traffic but the TA 65 gearbox is nowhere sufficient for this car.

The power delivery is not linear and you need to keep the revotron on boil if you want to keep on the smooth delivery of power on old school 2 laned highways, especially while overtaking.

The mid range is strong enough for overtaking only when the rpm is maintained at 1750-2000 rpm atleast. If there is a drop of the rpm then the driver has to hunt for gears to keep things going.

This engine is an old school cast iron engine and the inherent properties of the aluminium engines are not translated here viz. low weight, ease of repair.

The main reason for tata to use this cast iron block is to "keep costs in check". They already had the xeta engine and reworking the engine was all that was needed.

Cast iron engines are old school engines that are very durable and have advantage at economies of scale but are very heavy which shows its impact on performance.

This engine is good for indian conditions for traffic and other durability aspects and the zest petrol is not a sports car but a good family compact sedan which does its job in city and occasional highway runs.

I appreciate tata for this and wish they extract more power from this unit.

The major blame should be given to Indian automobile rules where duties are levied on petrol engines above 1200 cc. This makes almost all hatches and compact sedans with petrol engines handicapped in the performance department.

The only petrol engine that can cope up with bigger petrols is the explosive 1.2 GT TSI engine and 1.0L ecoboost.

Overall the engine can hit speeds upto 140-160 kmph as proved by other zest petrol users and is enough for our Indian roads where going 100kmph all day long is suicidal.

The gear ratios are something tata has worked hard.

1st gear :

This gear is the only saviour on inclines, especially when moving from standstill. The zest's heavy kerb weight shows its ugly head and strains the revotron engine where it needs to lug the whole car with limited power bandwidth.

0-20 kmph is enough for this gear on plains where the rpm crosses the turbo zone by now and 2nd gear can be slotted.

2nd gear:

The transition between first and second gear is not that smooth. Especially people used to driving naturally aspirated petrol engines will find this transition a bit difficult.

In heavy traffic there is a constant switch between first and second gear. When the car slows down to let's say 15kmph from very good speeds, the car finds it tough to move in second gear and you have to drop dead down from fifth gear. It is here that one needs to slow down even more to slot into first and then keep on moving.

The one stated above is a one off case and doesn't repeat that often. The second gear can be used to cross at slow speeds to cross speed breakers but repeating it way too often is not recommended.

3rd gear:

There's no point in using this gear if the rpm is way below 1200-1350 rpm. One is straining the engine unnecessarily and increasing the fuel intake. These gears (2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th) must be toggled at 1750 rpm where the turbo spools in and the car works its way smoothly.

4th gear:

Tata have used a very tall gearing with the fourth gear. You can drive in this gear from 35kmph to 120 kmph. On many occasions one doesn't need the fifth gear. The fourth gear avoids the need to change gears and keep the car moving at a steady pace at the same time. This gate has been carefully chosen so as to improve the power delivery on open stretches.

5th gear:

This gear is optimum when used only after 60-70 kmph. No two sides of that. Many zest petrol users might be driving at 50-55 kmph in fifth gear, but there is no point in doing that as turbo charged engines deliver good fuel efficiency when driven at "proper revvs" and not at "proper speeds".

In older generation cars 50-60 kmph might be good speed to drive for good fuel efficiency, but its not the case with today's cars.

Here is the link where I got very good fuel efficiency at speeds well above 80-85 kmph and most of the time I waited till 80 kmph to shift to fifth gear from fourth.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...est-review-pictures-zestful-endeavour-76.html

To sum this up the only way to drive zest is sedate. There's no point in revving it beyond what it is supposed to do. Its not built that way.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
your observations arrange spot on.

1. the stupid rules are dire enemy to enthusiasts & layman alike. take a look at bans on 2L engines. how do you expect 1.2 & 1.5 engines to lug large cars?

2. take at look at remapping/ ecu tuning from petes or so to extract better performance from the engine after warranties.

3. Any reason you went for petrol vs diesels? a diesel today has far more performance & punch than petrols.

Thread Starter #8
your observations arrange spot on.

1. the stupid rules are dire enemy to enthusiasts & layman alike. take a look at bans on 2L engines. how do you expect 1.2 & 1.5 engines to lug large cars?

2. take at look at remapping/ ecu tuning from petes or so to extract better performance from the engine after warranties.

3. Any reason you went for petrol vs diesels? a diesel today has far more performance & punch than petrols.
Tata has already mapped with different ecu settings and named them eco,sports

The scope for any improvement in performance is doubtful.

My running is less than 10,000 kms per year hence I went for petrol.

I was disappointed with the aspire so I didn't go for it, else the 100 bhp diesel is superb.

Tata has already mapped with different ecu settings and named them eco,sports

The scope for any improvement in performance is doubtful.

My running is less than 10,000 kms per year hence I went for petrol.

I was disappointed with the aspire so I didn't go for it, else the 100 bhp diesel is superb.
Has your stalling issue with AC on solved now? On team bhp the solution for that problem similar to yours seems to be replacing the oil , fuel and air filter plus the latest software. Also has the hand brake been tightened now?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Has your stalling issue with AC on solved now? On team bhp the solution for that problem similar to yours seems to be replacing the oil , fuel and air filter plus the latest software. Also has the hand brake been tightened now?
Handbrake is better. I have reflashed the ecu with latest version.

Pick up is sluggish with a/c

No stalling till now but had a doubt last week, it didn't stall though

Last edited:
Is the pick up sluggish in city and sports mode too? If you want the best AC performance use the sports mode as it is designed to not let the AC compressor cut earlier. This happens usually in bumper to bumper traffic where the lack of low end torque doesn't allow the AC to perform optimally in eco and city modes. Once on open roads you can shift to city mode.

I drive 99% in city mode.

The revvs drop too quickly when the car slows down.

This was not the case last week
May revvs are dropping fast due to the higher load of the AC compressor which does not reach the optimum cooling to cut off. Did you check this revv dropping in cooler environment like early morning and with AC switched off?

Thread Starter #14
May revvs are dropping fast due to the higher load of the AC compressor which does not reach the optimum cooling to cut off. Did you check this revv dropping in cooler environment like early morning and with AC switched off?
Early morning I don't use a.c

Will check, the revvs and pick up is usually fine

Top Bottom