My New Age Silver Mahindra XUV500 (2016): Buying & Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first ownership review so please bare with my writing skills. This thread is going to be about my buying process and decision of buying XUV500.

INTRODUCTION

So last year our Hyundai Fluidic verna turned four years old also, our family grew slightly bigger. The Verna is not really an ideal car for seating 5 adults in comfort and so is the suspension, its only suited for a two people and strictly not for those heavily loaded highway runs. All of that meant we needed a bigger car, probably it was time for Verna to become a substitute car. Nevertheless , verna is a very good city car considering the engine and gearbox combination.

THE NEEDS

• Good space for 5 adults and 7 seats for additional practicality
  • Good driving dynamics and ride quality
  • Good service back up
  • Not very high floor for easy seating

THE SEARCH FOR NEW CAR

My dad and I had already made up our minds to buy an SUV/MUV as the next car way back in 2012. We decided on to buy something that had more than 5 seats and had good space on offer and not to forget good highway manners.

CARS CONSIDERED

• Toyota innova
  • Mahindra XUV500
  • TATA safari storme

We did not consider scorpio because the space is just a big joke for the size of the vehicle and it lacked the appeal.

Toyota Innova:

I have always liked the innova for its space and driving dynamics/ride quality. And not to forget the bullet proof reliability of Toyota vehicles. But innova simply didn't appeal to anyone in the family because of its taxi image and secondly the product itself being very old. Also, Innova was turning out to be the most expensive vehicle in the list. The price and age of the vehicle were simply not convincing. I did not want to wait till the launch of innova crystal because we wanted to buy the car in the month of march 2016 and i knew innova crystal would be even more expensive. The MUV looks didn't convince either.

Mahindra XUV500:

This is one car that had always excited me right from day one. The car was launched on the day when we booked Verna. So pretty much ever since I had been following Ownership threads. Which meant i knew every bit about the car and its issues. Test drove this car couple of times and everyone in the family seemed to like it. Especially the fact that it was great value for money proposition. It also felt the most car like to drive among the three.

Tata Safari Storme:

Many of my family members have owned safari previously and I knew what to expect from this car. The ride quality and space on offer are commendable. safari literally makes the driver feel like a king because of the driving position. The whole vehicle is very high which meant its not an easy business to get in and out of the car. For someone who wants pure ruggedness of a SUV the safari makes great sense. Family members also felt just like the old safari and there was nothing 'new' in the car. I also knew Tata After sales service is a gamble.

THE FINAL DECISION

Among the three XUV was decided and everyone in the family seemed to like the car. I wanted the added practicality of AWD but since we bought the car through CSD canteen, the AWD version was not available so ultimately decided to get the W10 variant.

Many would argue that XUV has too many issues and niggles. I just feel life is too short to be driving boring cars :cool:. I had been following XUV right since day one and one thing that I realised was that Mahindra is very good when it comes to backing up a product and the Extended warranty meant its was a risk worth taking. The XUV covers up for that by being a brilliant VFM and complete package.

DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE

We booked the car through India garage here in chennai. The sales advisor was a very nice person and kept us updated throughout the buying process. The car reached dealership on 15th of march. We wanted to wait till Easter for taking delivery. I called for PDI before the car went for registration and made sure the VIN number was right. Finally took the delivery on 28Th march in the evening. We took a bunch of sweet packets and separate gifts for our sales advisor. The delivery experience was great at the dealership. Its one of the bests that one can see in any brand. Kudos to Mahindra for that.

IMG_20160329_203452 (1).jpg

INITIAL DRIVING EXPERIENCE

NOTE: I won't be concentrating on very detail aspects because there are many extensive reviews on the internet. Especially in our forum http://http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/test-drive-reviews/22042-mahindra-xuv500-facelift-manual-diesel-driven.html

The first thing that strikes is the refinement levels of the car. Its surprisingly very refined . The steering is weighed perfectly. The ergonomics of the car are pretty good, everything falls within reach. From the drivers seat XUV feels like any other car. Drop the clutch and truck like feeling creeps in. The clutch is very deep and 1st and 2nd gears are pretty notchy (Spoilt by hyundai verna gear shifts). The ride quality is very good. Neither very stiff nor very soft. Where the XUV really comes into its own territory is the highway. The highway stability is brilliant and so is the punch from the engine. No matter in any gear floor the pedal and theres instant power which is perfect for mile crunching.

INTERIORS

The interior is a very pleasant place to be. though the car on the whole feels tough the interior fit is not that great. Especially when compared to a Hyundai or Toyota, leave alone the germans. The interior at night looks brilliant and features on offer will keep everyone happy for a long time. Not to forget the sunroof which seems to excite everyone in the family.

EXTERIOR

I honestly feel the new look of the car is a lot more mature and stands out from the regualr crowd. It manages to look proportionate unlike other Mahindra's, especially the recent ones.

CONCLUSION

XUV fits most of the needs perfectly and is a great all rounder. A great product from an Indian manufacturer. #makeinindia #buyindian [:D]

Attachments

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: My 2016 New age silver XUV500 Buying and Ownership experience

Note: Thread now live. Congrats on your new ride, Jerwin!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congratulations on your new ride That is ''The New Age XUV5OO W10"Have a lots and lots of happy smiling and safe miles ahead. And the car looks lovely in Silver shade, the interiors are always the best in segment, i personally love the Dual tone dashboard and its design always looks a segment ahead than it is. So far want are all the mods have you planned for your XUV? And i am also going to buy a New age XUV5OO Along with Vento, Ciaz or Elite i20. and how is the car to drive and how does it feel to ride on high speeds. And my last question so far how many Km have you clocked on your ODO.

Congratulations on the ride.[cheers]

Thread Starter #6

Note: Thread now live. Congrats on your new ride, Jerwin!

Drive Safe,
350Z
thank you!

Congratulations for the silver surfer.Welcome to the xuv clan.Drive safe.
thank you! Hope your XUV is going well. :D

Congrats on the new ride jerwin!
Thank you madhu ji!

Congratulations on your new ride That is ''The New Age XUV5OO W10"Have a lots and lots of happy smiling and safe miles ahead. And the car looks lovely in Silver shade, the interiors are always the best in segment, i personally love the Dual tone dashboard and its design always looks a segment ahead than it is. So far want are all the mods have you planned for your XUV? And i am also going to buy a New age XUV5OO Along with Vento, Ciaz or Elite i20. and how is the car to drive and how does it feel to ride on high speeds. And my last question so far how many Km have you clocked on your ODO.

Congratulations on the ride.
thank you! I have not planned any mods as of now. Might go for a different set of Horn soon. The car feels good to drive except for the gear shifts. High speed stability is great. This car inspired a lot of confidence.

thank you!

thank you! Hope your XUV is going well. :D

Thank you madhu ji!

thank you! I have not planned any mods as of now. Might go for a different set of Horn soon. The car feels good to drive except for the gear shifts. High speed stability is great. This car inspired a lot of confidence.
That's Great Jerwin, And sir One small suggestion add Under Chassis coating to your mods list as your car is an SUV i think Under chassis coating adds some more protection to your lovely XUV's Chassis.[:)]

bhvm

Honoured Member
welcome to the gang bro.
feel free to ting in case you need any info or Help on this. isn't this the regular 2.2 version or 1.9 one?

wish you many Happy miles with the beast.

welcome to the gang bro.
feel free to ting in case you need any info or Help on this. isn't this the regular 2.2 version or 1.9 one?

Bhvm Sir actually IMO this is the regular 2.2L because as i asked the dealers here in coimbatore they told that the 1.99 L diesel XUV5OO and scorpio is only for delhi and in rest of the india the XUV and Scorpio will be sold with the Regular 2.2L mhawk engine only.[:)]

Thread Starter #11

That's Great Jerwin, And sir One small suggestion add Under Chassis coating to your mods list as your car is an SUV i think Under chassis coating adds some more protection to your lovely XUV's Chassis.[:)]

thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking to do the the anti rust coating because of the coastal weather chennai cars are prone to rust.

welcome to the gang bro.

thanks you @bhvm, mine is the 2.2L version

Congratz For your new machine..
Enjoy riding and post some more pics with your driving experience...
thank you @Farhan

Congrats Jerwin, the baap of all soft roaders, am sure as the newest member in the large XUV gang on TAI, any help needed will be easy.

Enjoy your ride.

Many congrats Jerwin for XUV 5OO. What a coincidence i also own verna fluidic which is four year old. I also planned to buy new age XUV but couldn't proceed due to unforeseen reasons. Enjoy your ride and keep updated.

On other note i am going to change coil spring with specially manufactured stiff coil spring tomorrow. Lets see what could be the result.

Top Bottom