Tata Nano XTA : The Roadrunner Comes Home...Beep Beep!!

Thread Starter #1
A bit of background on how and why we decided to buy a Nano:
We are a small family with my parents, wife and a 5 year old son. I have a Ford Ecosport TDCi to meet our travel needs. This is also the same car I go to office in.

We also have a couple of scoters – Activa and Wego, which are the primary rides for my wife and father. At times when I am not around and the family had to visit any place or anyone, they were completely relaying on the scoters, which wasn’t going down to well with me.

Not too long ago we also had a Maruti Alto which my father would drive sometimes. As less as some few hundred kilometers in an entire year. However, with his age, he wasn’t very confident of driving the manual transmission Alto anymore and would just go around on the Wego.
So finally I put my foot down and convinced my parents and my wife that we need a second car, which would also serve as the city run about. Trust me, Ecosport can be a handful in traffic conditions like Hinjawadi or crowded market areas.

The only option which made sense was the Nano GenX XTA. With a projected running of not more than 300 to 500 KM a month, this was the perfect choice. I did not even look at the Alto AMT, though it is a worthy competitor, was due to the price difference.

Coming down to the booking and delivery experience:
I first visited Pandit Auto in my locality and even after a lot of haggling; there were no discounts on offer. The price quoted was around 3.62L on-road. This kind of put me off.

Decided to visit the Concorde Motors, Balewadi showroom. I had a few known people there since I had helped my friend get a Zest Revotron from there.
There were a few discounts on offer, like free insurance, AMC for two years, corporate discount etc. Additionally if I decided to buy a Dec 2015 model, there were further discounts. Considering that I do not plan to sell this car for atleast 5-7 years, I was fine with Dec-15 model.

The final Price came to around 3.43L on-road. This was mouth watering and instantly signed the dotted line. With the down-payment of 10K done, I wanted to have a look at the car before I made the full payment. The representative there obliged and I did a through PDI of the car at the yard.

Fully happy, I made rest of the payment as the long weekend, 24-27 March was just around the corner. This was to ensure that I get the car registered before I take the delivery today i.e 4th April. But as fate might have it, the taxes are paid, however the number has not been allotted as yet. Might get it in a couple of days.

Delivery Experience:
Nano is my 5th car and trust me, the delivery experience has by far, been the best!! I know it might be hard for a few to believe, yet, it is what it is! Maybe I am plain lucky!!

The other cars I have bought are Figo, Ecosport, Alto and Spark. The way my representative managed the entire delivery was outstanding. A full 10 on 10 to his efforts. Not just him, the other support staff was equally courteous and welcoming.

The service adviser was present at the time of delivery. He introduced himself and handed over his visiting card to me, in case if I needed any assistance during the regular servicing or otherwise.
Customer relations manager was also present throughout the process and kept us updated of what will follow next.

The car was spanking clean, with all the foot mats in place (I did not order any other accessory). I was also gifted a glass look alike Ganesh idol, which looks great, a car perfume, a box of chocolates and file with all the documents neatly arranged and labeled for quick reference. They also clicked a picture while handling over the keys, which they framed and handed over to us in not more than 10 mins!

Way to go TATA!!! [clap]

Initial Drive experience:
The low fuel warning was flashing, so with a very light foot took the car to the nearest HP bunk and filled the tank to auto-cut. The car was real thirsty and gulped 24 liters of petrol. As per the attended there, the car could have taken another half a liter. All this while I was thinking the tank capacity is 24 liters!

The DTE now showed me a range of 458 KM before the next re-fill. Satisfied that there is no other concern, we started to drive slowly towards the temple, through moderate traffic. This is where the name Roadrunner to my mind. Blow the horn with all the glasses rolled up and all you would hear is a beep beep sound. Reminded me of the Roadrunner show which used to be aired on Cartoon Network!

I could manage to take the car only till around a max speed of 40 kmph in 3rd gear. There is a slight jerk when the car moves from standstill. Maybe because it’s brand new, with only around 14 KMs on odo when the keys were handed over. Other than the initial jerk, the drive was fine and since I usually drive with a light foot, did not feel the gear changes to be too obvious. Took the blessings and headed straight home.

Once I reached home, took out the manual and skimmed through it. Did some settings on the music player, changed the display brightness and set the clock.

It was too hard to contain the excitement of driving this small wonder and again took the car on a short spin. This time I took it to the roads where I knew the traffic would be sparse to enjoy the drive. This car just rocks!

A small issue that I faced during this short drive was the car tends to upshift to 3rd and 4th pretty quick and it can be unnerving during an overtaking maneuver. Maybe I’ll need some time to get used to it.

Other than that, for the price paid, I feel I got a lot of car! A few positives and not so positive initial impressions:

+ Perfect city run-about car
+ Has good space for four on board with slight luggage
+Good music player and the convenience of Bluetooth
+ Some cool features like the DTE, trip meters, Clock etc are class leading
- Jack position is a little tricky. Below the front passenger seat. Though it’s intelligent use of space, yet it might need some getting used to.
- Cannot dial numbers using the head-unit. Not a very big concern as long as I can receive calls
- Fuel filler location. Would have been great if it was more conventional rather than opening the bonnet.

Time for some pics!!

Attachments

Re: Tata Nano XTA : The Roadrunner comes home .. Beep beep!!

The car is very cute looking in White with black accents. The interiors are very very elegant and does not look like nano at all. pretty impressed with the interiors. (or is it that you have done some photoshop? ;) )
The car is a great car with more than enough space for a small car like that.

Wish you many many happy miles with you roadrunner. Beep Beep.

Now if pocket willing you can put a glossy black 3m Sheet on the top to give a 2-tone appeal. Put in some nice cool not too shouting by good alloys, and may be a Projector headlamp. (but it may void your warranty Using aftermarket alloys and projector set up) so taking back my words.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

The car is very cute looking in White with black accents. The interiors are very very elegant and does not look like nano at all. pretty impressed with the interiors. (or is it that you have done some photoshop? ;) )
The car is a great car with more than enough space for a small car like that.

Wish you many many happy miles with you roadrunner. Beep Beep.

Now if pocket willing you can put a glossy black 3m Sheet on the top to give a 2-tone appeal. Put in some nice cool not too shouting by good alloys, and may be a Projector headlamp. (but it may void your warranty Using aftermarket alloys and projector set up) so taking back my words.
Thank you for your wishes!

Well, I haven't done any photoshop at all! The credit for the clean interiors go to TATA and Concorde for ensuring they were absolutely clean!

I usually like my cars to be as stock as possible, but the suggestions you have given are too tempting. Maybe somewhere down the line I might think of projectors!

@Wanderer, congrats on your GenX Nano XTA, a superb VFM for your family, I am sure the Ecosport & 2 wheeler's will be put on the back burner, and this will be your primary mode of transport, this is so addictive.

For the wheel upgrade, in case you do go for it, now with the Kwid also available with 3 lug nuts, am sure you will have options in 13" also.

All the best

Vinod

Welcome to the Nano family. Concorde TASS is the best in Pune. Had some good experience there. Stock lights are good for city use. Genx Nano is much refined, specially the cabin noise and the suspension. Get alignment done once every 2500 Kms else front left tyre will go for a toss. I have upgraded my horn to windtone using couplers. Due to couplers, wires were not cut and warranty is in place.

Congratulation on your new purchase.[clap] wishing you very happy and hassle free journey. Keep updated about ride experience and performance in city traffic.

Thread Starter #7
@Wanderer, congrats on your GenX Nano XTA, a superb VFM for your family, I am sure the Ecosport & 2 wheeler's will be put on the back burner, and this will be your primary mode of transport, this is so addictive.

For the wheel upgrade, in case you do go for it, now with the Kwid also available with 3 lug nuts, am sure you will have options in 13" also.

All the best

Vinod
Thank you for your wishes! Today was my first day when I drove roadrunner to office and fell in love with it all over again!
As much as I want to make it my primary drive, I want my father/wife to also enjoy this new bundle of joy!

Tyre upgrade is not on the cards anytime soon. However, your suggestion is highly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Welcome to the Nano family. Concorde TASS is the best in Pune. Had some good experience there. Stock lights are good for city use. Genx Nano is much refined, specially the cabin noise and the suspension. Get alignment done once every 2500 Kms else front left tyre will go for a toss. I have upgraded my horn to windtone using couplers. Due to couplers, wires were not cut and warranty is in place.
Thank you Rahul! Yes, I too feel this car is put together a lot better than the previous versions. The cabin is quite silent for a two cylinder engine.
The wheel alignment complaint is something I have been reading at a lot of places and this is something I will take up over the weekend for sure!

Congratulation on your new purchase.[clap] wishing you very happy and hassle free journey. Keep updated about ride experience and performance in city traffic.
Thank you Nilesh!
Yes, I am planning to keep this thread updated as much as possible n the coming days with my impressions of the car.
Day One Impressions:
- While I was in bumper to bumper traffic today and was on a slight gradient, I let go off the brake expecting the car to move forward in a couple of seconds. However, the car just stood there. It did not roll forward or back. I gave a small A pedal input and it suddenly leaped ahead. That was a very nervous moment as a two wheeler was pretty close to me. Hit the brake pedal hard and stopped.
On the next occasion, I just used the hand brake trick and rest of the ride was good.
- The A pillar is a bit thick. Not the Ecosport kind off thick, yet it is pretty hindering. Will have to get used to it.
- I thought of testing the sport mode on a open stretch with a slight climb. The car performed flawlessly. However, when I dis-engaged the sports mode, the upshift from 3rd to 4th gear did not happen around 41-42 KMPH, which is normally when it happens. I checked again to make sure the sport mode was dis-engaged and it indeed was. A few minutes later the car returned to it's normal behavior though.

Signing off for today. I be back with more updates shortly! Till then drive safe and don't forget the seat belt!

Thank you for your wishes! Today was my first day when I drove roadrunner to office and fell in love with it all over again!
As much as I want to make it my primary drive, I want my father/wife to also enjoy this new bundle of joy!

Tyre upgrade is not on the cards anytime soon. However, your suggestion is highly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Thank you Rahul! Yes, I too feel this car is put together a lot better than the previous versions. The cabin is quite silent for a two cylinder engine.
The wheel alignment complaint is something I have been reading at a lot of places and this is something I will take up over the weekend for sure!

Thank you Nilesh!
Yes, I am planning to keep this thread updated as much as possible n the coming days with my impressions of the car.
Day One Impressions:
- While I was in bumper to bumper traffic today and was on a slight gradient, I let go off the brake expecting the car to move forward in a couple of seconds. However, the car just stood there. It did not roll forward or back. I gave a small A pedal input and it suddenly leaped ahead. That was a very nervous moment as a two wheeler was pretty close to me. Hit the brake pedal hard and stopped.
On the next occasion, I just used the hand brake trick and rest of the ride was good.
- The A pillar is a bit thick. Not the Ecosport kind off thick, yet it is pretty hindering. Will have to get used to it.
- I thought of testing the sport mode on a open stretch with a slight climb. The car performed flawlessly. However, when I dis-engaged the sports mode, the upshift from 3rd to 4th gear did not happen around 41-42 KMPH, which is normally when it happens. I checked again to make sure the sport mode was dis-engaged and it indeed was. A few minutes later the car returned to it's normal behavior though.

Signing off for today. I be back with more updates shortly! Till then drive safe and don't forget the seat belt!
I'm sure your father, once he gets the hang of the AMT will grab the keys instead of the Scooter, and it will bring a smile to your face.

Enjoy this Smart Nano, may your tribe grow.

All the best.

Thread Starter #10
I'm sure your father, once he gets the hang of the AMT will grab the keys instead of the Scooter, and it will bring a smile to your face.

Enjoy this Smart Nano, may your tribe grow.

All the best.
Thank you once again for your wishes!! Father has started driving the car for past three days. He is still trying to get a hang of it and we drive a few kilometers in the early morning hours when the traffic is sparse. I know from his expressions that he is lovin' it!!

Congratulations Wanderer, welcome to the club, Nano is a big little car. Big in terms of space for such a tiny frame.
Thank you Kinshuk! You nailed it! It is really a BIG small car.

==========================
For a past couple of days I am noticing a intermittent tick tick sound coming from somewhere in the driver side foot control area. It is similar to A.C compressor switching on and off. However, I am not able to make out what exactly is it? Has anyone else noticed this sound?

Apart from this, today I was about to reach home and got a call which I answered on the music system's Bluetooth. Accidentally I switched off the car, yet the call did not end until I disconnected!! Though I have seen this feature in other bluetooth enabled cars, I did not know that even Nano offered the same! Another feather in the cap!!

Got artificial leather seat covers installed at an accessory shop this morning. Total cost : Rs. 4k
Craftsmanship, I would rate it just about average. Though I liked the quality of the seat covers. The seats are wafer thin, though they provide adequate support for short stints. Post the seat covers, the thickness has increased a bit which is welcoming!

A few pics of the install.

Rear seat taken out. Notice the rear bench:
IMG_20160408_102316.jpg

Rear backrest and the seat covers to be installed:
IMG_20160408_102410.jpg

Work In Progress:
IMG_20160408_103530.jpg

Next follow the front seats, removed:
IMG_20160408_112133.jpg

Front seat almost complete. Just the headrest needs to be put in place:
IMG_20160408_112854.jpg

How the rear seats look after install:
IMG_20160408_114636.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations for your little wonder, i too went for a test drive and would like to say that with 5 people on board the car behaved very well and is definitely a better car than alto(very less interior space, low grade quality at higher price than nano) obviously keeping aside the badge(does not bother me though). Have fun and lakhs of happy kms in the little red wonder. :)

bhvm

Honoured Member
congrats on the road runner!.
it's a cute lil name & cute lil car!
the Interiors are simply top notch. I Really didn't expect biscuit/walnut combo in nano!. the seat covers are also fantastic.

Thank you once again for your wishes!! Father has started driving the car for past three days. He is still trying to get a hang of it and we drive a few kilometers in the early morning hours when the traffic is sparse. I know from his expressions that he is lovin' it!!

Thank you Kinshuk! You nailed it! It is really a BIG small car.

==========================
For a past couple of days I am noticing a intermittent tick tick sound coming from somewhere in the driver side foot control area. It is similar to A.C compressor switching on and off. However, I am not able to make out what exactly is it? Has anyone else noticed this sound?

Apart from this, today I was about to reach home and got a call which I answered on the music system's Bluetooth. Accidentally I switched off the car, yet the call did not end until I disconnected!! Though I have seen this feature in other bluetooth enabled cars, I did not know that even Nano offered the same! Another feather in the cap!!

Got artificial leather seat covers installed at an accessory shop this morning. Total cost : Rs. 4k
Craftsmanship, I would rate it just about average. Though I liked the quality of the seat covers. The seats are wafer thin, though they provide adequate support for short stints. Post the seat covers, the thickness has increased a bit which is welcoming!

A few pics of the install.

Rear seat taken out. Notice the rear bench:
View attachment 198558

Rear backrest and the seat covers to be installed:
View attachment 198559

Work In Progress:
View attachment 198560

Next follow the front seats, removed:
View attachment 198561

Front seat almost complete. Just the headrest needs to be put in place:
View attachment 198562

How the rear seats look after install:
View attachment 198563
Nice set of seat covers, the first time I have seen the bare interiors of the Nano without the seats, the battery is securely covered, as well as the jack is in proper place, and not haphazardly placed as a juggard.

The color combo on the center console & speaker surround looks neat.

Enjoy your ride.

Let me first congratulate you on your purchase of this lovely car. The seat covers look good & hope you & your family have a many more miles with this cute looking wanderer.

Top Bottom