Hyundai Grand i10 Ownership Review: Our First Family Car

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAIgers
This is ownership review of my Hyundai Grand i10. Covering buying and a little ownership. Right now the ODO meter reading is 3463 KMS. Please bare me as review will be longer.

The story began at the middle of year 2015 when We(me, mom, dad) finally decided to buy our first car.

The First qus.: Petrol or Diesel?? (I couldn’t sort it till now by the way), As per dad our car would be making hardly 500-700 KMS. monthly so Diesel was out of option but i was keen to diesel as i love the turbo kicks in and the way car behaves in open road so i was in plan of diesel.
Budget: I was assuming that dad will at least go till 8 to 8.5 lakhs but in conversation with our family friend they told them for about 5 to 5.5 lakhs, So it was fixed at 5.5 lakhs MAX.
Expectations from Car:
Me: Good in cabin feel, ABS at least 2 airbags good interior space and a good AC & last it should have road presence as well as brand value, So sorry for DATSUN GO+
Dad: Should be people mover 5+, good mileage, Petrol and the list was long
Cars Considered:
MARUTI EECO: DAD was in love with her but me & sis was like EECO really for a family naah...!!!
HONDA MOBILIO: DAD was also in love with her but me, mom & sister didn't liked it so drooped it coz after all the car was coming for me...hehe
HYUNDAI I20 ELITE: I was literally FLAT on this car but as in our budget magna variant was fitting perfectly as ABS and airbags were top in the list i have to drop the beast with hard heart.
MARUTI SUZUKI CELERIO: Dad and family uncle quite liked the car but the petrol top model ZXI(O) was costing around 6.45 Lakhs after discounts and i felt like 3 pot engine and that looks is not worth for our money 6.45 lakhs so i refused to get that car.
MARUTI SUZUKI SWIFT: I was fan of her since last decade, liked the car and mom also but dad don't want a swift as there are too many on road.
This dilemma of which car had ran about quite a few days and we've decided to buy the car in diwali. Dad was in training at Udaipur and uncle was on phone taking regular updates from me. I was stuck to elite i20 but the budget was also a concern. Once i got a call from uncle the conversation was as follows

Uncle: Hi dear how are you
Me: Fine uncle you say
U: i want to ask you something
M: Uncle i want i20 that's all why dad can't stretch the budget why should i compromise every time ?
U: Dear they have to stay in family and they have to bare the occasions like your marriage and also needed to be part of all the occasions financially.
M: Hmm
U: What do you think about grand i10 it has all bells & whistles you want and ya mainly it is in our budget my colleague had just bought the sportz variant
M: Let me see uncle
U: Ok take a look and take a test drive and tell me
M: Ok
I was having a soft corner for grand i10 as my previous boss was having it. It was Diesel sports variant back in 2013. I've seen all the videos of grand i10 on youtube and after lots of research i settled down for Grand i10 Asta(O) petrol. I called up uncle and the conversation was as follows.
M: Hi Uncle How are you
U: Hey dear M fine you say
M: Hmm uncle i liked the grand i10's top most model Asta(O) & i want that
U: Why asta(O) and why not sportz...? sportz is having everything
M: Uncle Asta(O) is having ABS, Airbag Diamond cut alloys key less entry and go with push button start it is having long list of features
U: What is the OTR....?
M: 6.8 Lakhs OTR without discounts
U: With Discounts..?
M: Around 6.20L
U: We want under 6L
M: Let me try with my friends i will get you back. can You plz talk to dad for this
U: OK

Then very next day i visited the dealer Called Sharma Hyundai with my colleague & got the test drive & quotation. The car was butter smooth even after 25.5k on the ODO and the price in quotation after discounts was 6.2L. In the evening i talked to dad about that and they told me ok and hanged the call saying that we will talk about that in weekend. dad's training was still left for about 8 days and diwali was coming closer. On the weekend dad arrived home for 2 days and called up the dealers for final price at my home. Sharma Hyundai has given 6.18L Final with AHMADABAD registration (GJ01). The another dealer planet Hyundai had given 6.14L with AHMADABAD registration with freebies like matting, mud flaps. I asked dad to get the deal as its a good deal. But dad want more discount so i told Planet Hyundai to hold. Dad called their maternal uncle as their brother in law had good reputation at Gandhinagar's dealer Punjab Hyundai. With the name of them we got a deal of 6.09L with Gandhinagar registration(GJ18) with freebies like matting, mud flap, Fabric Seat cover & Car cover. Dad zeroed on that bill and paid booking amount of 25001/- for Hyundai Grand i10 ASTA(O) 1.2 pure white color with Punjab Hyundai Gandhinagar. Receipt Image below.

The name of sales executive was Mr. Viral Solanki who was kind enough that he bring the demo car to my place on booking date and promptly given long test drive. After that the delivery date was fixed to 9/11/2015 Dhanteras. The wait for first new car started it was hard to believe that our car is coming. The time from 28/10 to 8/11 was spent in payment formalities and loan procedure. We made down payment of 1.67L including booking amount and got loan from ICICI bank for remaining amount. I called uncle and said them the we've booked Asta(O) with 6.09L. now the long wait was started. Initially we want loan from SBI as it was Dad's salary account but later we swapped our decision to ICICI as it's branch was nearer to our place and approach from the staff was awesome so took loan from ICICI and it approved in no time.

THE D-DAY: The time for getting the delivery was fixed on 5 o'clock(mahurat and all). On the D-Day at around 1 o'clock i got a call from SA saying that he still not received the sanction letter from the bank and without it he won't be able to give the delivery. Now dad called the manager of the bank and told to dispatch the sanction letter to the dealer but he said that it is holiday so the guy who signs for final dispatch of letter is not available right now he will be available only after 3 o'clock . I was worried about the deliver as today was the last day otherwise the delivery will be only made after labh Pancham(7 days later). Suddenly dad got call from bank that your sanction letter is signed and the guy from the bank said that he will send the letter wherever we ask. So i asked dad to mail to my mail id and i will forward it to SA so that we could leave for the dealer as the dealer was 32 KMS. away from our place and we've to reach our 50 KMS. away village for pooja before dawn. After receiving the letter we (me,mom,dad,sis and our neighbor uncle) headed towards dealer in their SANTRO for delivery. On the way we took a copy of sanction letter from the bank. We reached to dealer at 3 o'clock. The car was ready at outside waiting for us but it was not washed properly. I asked the SA to wash it again, he said that sir there are too many deliveries for toady so we can't wash it properly, Bring sometime later we will wash it properly. We got 5 ltrs. of free petrol and all accessories but mudguards were not fitted due to no stock. dad's name was written on the wind screen and some pics of car in next post.

payment Receipt.jpg

Posting few pics of the car Here
1. Yours truely with the car
2. From left to right mom, Sis & Me
3. After the fitment of HSRP from RTO Gandhinagar

Done the Puja at village and i took the driver seat drove her to home.

P_20151109_162516_1_BF_p.jpg

P_20151109_162322_1_BF_p(1).jpg

P_20151218_200700_1_p.jpg

Contd....
On the Next day early morning we visited Hanumanji Temple located 45 KMS. away from village called Dabhoda as it was Kali chaudas and i took the driver seat again[;)]. On the return drive dad took the driver seat. We all enjoyed the short trip. It was diwali and we were about to stay at village for some days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Update on ownership of my grand i10

Hello guys Odometer now stands for 4k+ KMS. no niggles, issues till date except the one that the AC under hard acceleration in 2nd gear trips for a while (3 to 4 secs) if anybody is facing the same or its probably from my car only.

One incident also happened with the car when dad was alone driving. Dad was going to our village on last weekend and they were on the ORR circle for taking the exit towards rural road and a zen tried to overtook dad's car and while overtaking there was a truck coming from opposite side and to not to get the hit from the truck he banged dad's car from back as dad was in speeds of 10 to 20 KMPH dad was safe but the result to the bang the HSRP number plate is got bent, rear bumper has took the bang to it and there was a dent and 2 of the parking sensors are lost(May be hanging with the harness) in the bumper. Bloody zen driver. Dad can't argue with them as they were not carrying the driving licence at that time so they let him go.[confused]

After the incident 2 days later i spoke to the nearest dealer Sharma Hyundai for quotation and showed the car to him. He tried to fix the dent but nothing happened. He told me to change the bumper under insurance claim. I spoke to dad and they told me to that to inquire for repair outside the dealers before claiming insurance. I obliged and asked the SA for preferable shops for bumper repairing he gave me the address. I reached there and the guy called heera done a decent job. All the dents are gone and sensors fixed like factory and bumper fixed again. Everything is fine now except few paint scratches at affected area. The total bill for repair was 100/-. He was asking for 350/- bucks but then settled to 100/-. Pretty cheap though he he (A la Maruti :p)

I'm constantly getting mileage of 14 to 17 KMPL in mixed driving conditions fully sedated driving. Mileage drops a bit whilst Dad drives as he is a newbie so.[surprise] But all n all the car is going very good in terms of ownership. The first service was also done the cost of service was zero as it was just general inspection and fluid topups only

Last edited:
Hey, Congrats! I am an old customer of Hyundai. I bought EON Era+ in 2014 and enjoying ride and services of Hyundai. In my experice, Hyundai Customer services is one of the best. Enjoy you ride in Grand I10

Welcome to The Automotive India nikunj and wish you a very happy stay.
Heartiest congratulations for your grand i10.Wishing you many happy miles with it.If you are into the accessible area to neighbourhood motors nr pakvan cross roads they are good chaps for hyundai servicing and authorised service centre.
Follow the forum rules and ping us for any assistance you need.Drive safe.

Thread Starter #6
I will surely ask you for any assistance vijay i just want to ask you one thing is that possible to link horn with Central locking like present in Elite i20

Thank you so much for wishes autoguy Hyundai is best automobile manufacturer in india.....

Thread Starter #7
Update after 6 months and 4.9k+ on the ODO :

Hello guys its been 6+ months since we bought the car. Absolutely no niggles issues faced so far, car is doing preety well and giving 13 to 14 KMPL in city with dad's driving[roll]. I can feel that the engine is opened now and acceleration is far more linear. Once visited the Gandhinagar workshop as i was feeling that the clutch free play is more but the SA said that it is ok but i insisted him and he tightened it. Now the clutch is feeling good to operate.

The clutch play is increasing as it dad is a newbie. I know its bad for clutch but what to do.[confused]

Now the ODO stands at some 4.9k+ KMS. and car is doing fine. For the clutch issue i want to install a dead pedal in my car. Any idea Grand i10 owners your advice will be welcome.

Thread Starter #9
LATEST UPDATE OF 6000 KMS.

Hello Guys Its loong since i've updated the thread. The car is nearing 6k mark and doing its duty very well. I've made a trip to Kutch-Bhuj in my friends' Ford Figo diesel it was 5 years old with 83k on the ODO. After driving it for around 1100 KMS. I fell that the hyundai cars are far more stable at high speed and clutch-gearbox is smooth to operate. Yes i know that my car is not run that much but i feel that Hyundai Is Hyundai[clap][evil]

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Hello Guys Its loong since i've updated the thread. The car is nearing 6k mark and doing its duty very well. I've made a trip to Kutch-Bhuj in my friends' Ford Figo diesel it was 5 years old with 83k on the ODO. After driving it for around 1100 KMS. I fell that the hyundai cars are far more stable at high speed and clutch-gearbox is smooth to operate. Yes i know that my car is not run that much but i feel that Hyundai Is Hyundai[clap][evil]
Lol. I don't think your observation is correct regarding the stability. Or your friends car really need maintenance.

Hi nikunj,

On any given day Figo will offer much more stability then hyundai grand i10 (completely my personal opinion, no offence to hyundai owners).

And I do agree with allhyundaicars, the figo must be needing some maintenance...lol

Thread Starter #12
Lol. I don't think your observation is correct regarding the stability. Or your friends car really need maintenance.
Sir i'm not saying that Figo is bad car in terms of handling because ford is only known for its handling and high speed stability but i felt like that in that trip. I think it needs suspension replacements casue it was hitting every single bump on the road

Hi nikunj,

On any given day Figo will offer much more stability then hyundai grand i10 (completely my personal opinion, no offence to hyundai owners).

And I do agree with allhyundaicars, the figo must be needing some maintenance...lol
Sir the Figo i've driven was diesel and its kerb weight is more then Grand i10 so in terms of high speed stability Diesel makes more sense then petrol i've the petrol though. Sir do you think that maintenence is more in figo diesel as i'm planning for new Diesel hatch

Congrats man for the i10 and very well write up. Choice of color is too good and looks the best.

Wish you many more miles ahead .... vrooomm

Thanks,
Satyajeet

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Sir the Figo i've driven was diesel and its kerb weight is more then Grand i10 so in terms of high speed stability Diesel makes more sense then petrol i've the petrol though. Sir do you think that maintenence is more in figo diesel as i'm planning for new Diesel hatch
Check my figo diesel thread. Second service costed me 1800 rs. Check the first page and you can compare the parts prices with maruti's car.

Top Bottom