My Make-in-India Workhorse: Tata Indica eV2 LX

Thread Starter #1
Dear Members of TAI,
It's my first long post in this forum and my first ownership in my lifetime. So it might not seem flawless, seeking apologies for that in advance.
So here it goes.

REASON FOR NEW CAR:
Had been using an alto LX since 2007. Honestly speaking, the number of problems faced from then till date is : ZERO.
The only negative factor about the vehicle is the Petrol engine (with the sudden upsurge of unit price of fuel to Rs 78/ L Kolkata)

Also, due to change is residence , my daily commute increased from 17 kms to 30 kms. And driving an 800 cc without power steering (at times sweating like a pig was....let's say...not a pretty sight)

Hence , a New Car,...A New Diesel Car.

WHICH CAR?
Must have features for my replacement ride:
a. Should not cost a fortune
b. Unrealistically high mileage
c. ALL FOUR POWER WINDOWS AND POWER STEERING.
d. easy available servicing outlets.

Options:
1)ford figo
2)suzuki swift diesel (Oh Yeah)[:D]
3)Indica Vista
4)Indica eV2

Figo:
Good brand. Good build. Average looks. Boot space can hold a few dead bodies. Service? Pretty uncharted territory as far as Kolkata area is concerned. Value for money image.

Test drive experience shared by friends informed about the lack of interest and zeal shown by Kaikan Ford guys.

Swift:
only model coming within my budget was LDi. I was getting the swift package no doubt. But it was a very plane-jane thing. No rear power window. Non adjustable ORVMs. So...NO.

Vista:

Never got a chance/not really interested due to weird looks.

eV2 LX:

Has been hanging around since eternity. Cheapest option available.[clap] Has all the bells and whistles one can possibly ask for. Proven mileage.

Now the buying process.

K.B. Motors was the closest to home as I stay in Kasba area. Paid a visit. A blunt faced guy unwelcomingly attended to our queries. Arranged a rickety car for TD.
First Impressions:
Roomy interiors. Good leg space. Comfortable seats. Neat arrangement of power window buttons. Adequately fine and crisp steering movement. ORVM can be controlled electrically (although cannot be folded/extended).

Ergonomics:
Huge disappointment. High placed accelerator, brake and clutch. Gave me leg cramps after driving for a couple of kms.

Engine Responsiveness:
Sweeeet. Acceleration is in a word-great. Cr4 diesel engine is an underrated powerhouse which never seizes to impress. Good braking ability. No ABS.

Others( Small yet important features):

Below the steering column is a space to keep your cell phone.
Glove box has good amount of space. Can accomodate a 1L bottle and a few files with ease.
3-speed wipers providing adequate visibility in need.
The air conditioning system is good. Can beat the Bengal heat after 5-10 minutes after switching on (keeping fan at 2-speed).
[:)]

IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT:
Feature rich console, equiped with FM tuner, CD, Aux, USB and Bluetooth pairing. Only two door speakers. Separate space for tweeters on the front.
Quality of the sound output is PATHETIC. Needs upgrading the moment you bring it in. What's sad is Tata Showroom also does not provide better alternatives (Or maybe mine was a dud).
THE JOURNEY SO FAR:
Brought the vehicle home in Jan'14. Has been steadily serving my purpose without much niggles (contrary to the popular belief).
I have been receiving a steady mileage of 15-16 kmpl in city (with AC 100% on).
Short individuals may have problems initially with the visibility.
The leg cramps I was talking about is now gone. Journeys are fast and comfortable.

Have tested the suspension of horrid road conditions and it is pretty impressive for the price I paid ( Rs. 5.5 lac OTR)

Service:
K B motors authorized station is located in difficult location interiors of Park Circus . Not so friendly people. Do not pay attention to detail . One of them even told me "Sir, you should have bought maruti. They are awesome."
That was a shock.

Now I have started resorting to B.B. Motors off Beleghata Crossing to cater to my needs. Have been a happy client ever since.

So far it has been a pleasure driving this vehicle around. My opinion is , If you want a vehicle for daily use with proper features, without shelling out a lot of money, you can easily go the Indica. And about the Tata service network, it does depend on luck. But the wide using of tata merchandise in both commercial and personal segments, luck isn't that hard to find.

Here, I end my amateur attempt of an ownership review. Enclosing some pictures. Critics welcome

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Members of TAI,
It's my first long post in this forum and my first ownership in my lifetime. So it might not seem flawless, seeking apologies for that in advance.
So here it goes.
The good ol' Indica was a fortune maker for TATA. Among the most reliable cars ever made by TATA. Seeing a well maintained example like your's is a pleasure. Do keep updating your report and about the review, with the kind of writing flair you have, I am sure you'll certainly write more and more descriptive details hereon. Have a great time with this Indica!

Regards

Akash

A sensible buy indeed for the price. The other cars in the price segment can't seat five nor are available with diesel.

Indica has been thoroughly updated over the years. The engine is one of the unsung heros of our car market, lost in the maze of high profile phoren brands. The true worth of the car still valued by a lot of cab drivers in many Indian cities as well as abroad too. In Philippines it is being sold as a 2016 model suitable for cabs!
Indigo | Tata Motors
It might amaze a lot of people here that the same engine was subjected to a 14000km non stop run way back in 2012 by autocar india.
The Tata Indigo eCS enters Limca Book of Records! | Tata Motors Limited
Indigo eCS Mileage-Endurance Run - News - Autocar India Mobile Edition

Isn't it amazing performance from a totally indigenously developed engine unlike others who solely depend on the Fiat Multijet or the Renault DCI? Now waiting for the repeat performance from TIAGO!

Last edited:
Tata Indica- The Aging Warrior! Even after close to two decades of launch, this design is loved by many. An ageless design I must say. At Rs 5.5 Lakhs OTR, this is a huge VFM car, with all the necessary features. Have a happy and safe ownership buddy.

Cheers

Last edited:
you should have bought maruti.
Rear power windows and adjustable orvm's are just 10-15K worth of aftermarket addons.
You'll end up paying a lot more with the indica in terms of reduced mileage,depreciation, service quality (vs swift)

Saying as someone who took the same decision 9 years ago

Thread Starter #7
Thanks a ton for your reply, dear members.

My monthly usage is around 1500 kms. I end up paying around Rs 5000 (actually less) per month in terms of fuel expenditure.

One great point that I forgot to mention is that the car is very abuse friendly.
Or may be it's because of the very same reason it gained credence in the cab scene.

A problem I faced soon after buying was black smoke from the exhaust, mostly during heavy acceleration.
Took for service. Got the engine decarbonised. No more problem.

After a few days the same problem occurred. Changed my gas station. No more black smoke since past 1 year.

you should have bought maruti.
Rear power windows and adjustable orvm's are just 10-15K worth of aftermarket addons.
You'll end up paying a lot more with the indica in terms of reduced mileage,depreciation, service quality (vs swift)

Saying as someone who took the same decision 9 years ago

Dear Sir,
I agree with as far as the depreciation is concerned. But I generally don't change my car frequently. So that worry I don't have.

And about the reduced mileage bit. Appropriate speeds, matched gear shifts and maintaining a proper service history are things that every car must be subjected to. Be it jaguar / swift/ indica.

Now coming to service.
The kind of apathy from K B motors was a disheartening/appalling experience for me. At times I did feel bad for not going for a Maruti.
But now that I have changed my caregiver, my ride is JUST ACES (touchwood)

But thanks for your views. Made me more careful.

Cheers

don't think that the car is abuse friendly - while it will not complain while you are abusing it, in a few years you will get hit with hefty suspension repair bills and uneven tyre wear, broken mechanicals etc.

Usually the car gets carbon buildup if you drive slowly without revving too much. Running the engine flat out (near full rpm) on a highway etc for a sustained time will clear the carbon out by itself (search for italian tuneup on google)

Check your user manual and use system D if recommended

Last edited:
@ greenhorn have you owned a Indica if yes you would have known that it is the only car which can manage on any road of india. yes the initial cars had the problem of wheel dics getting bent on patchy roads. which was rectified in the later model,

my family has owned 2 indicas one from 2003 and another in 2007 which have served us very well only when it crossed 1.5 lakhs on the odo it started giving a few issues, but which diesel car doesnt. after about 1,60,000 even Swifts have given problems to their owners, puntos as well as chevy's so its across all brands.

but for the price range its a paisa vasool car,

@docraj wish you happy miles ahead bro, Drive Hard, Drive Safe. cheers.

Last edited:
Congrats on your Indica A well known a well respect deserving car indian hatchback car, Have lots and lots of happy miles ahead with it.[:)]. A neat sweet ownership write-up. Have you planned for any Mods for you indica?. Frankly speaking Indica is a great car when i was launched it was a hot selling hatchback but IMO TATA's name As well as indica's name also got spoiled when they gave the car for sale to taxi's otherwise they would have been in a high positions now.

Thread Starter #12
Congrats on your Indica A well known a well respect deserving car indian hatchback car, Have lots and lots of happy miles ahead with it.[:)]. A neat sweet ownership write-up. Have you planned for any Mods for you indica?. Frankly speaking Indica is a great car when i was launched it was a hot selling hatchback but IMO TATA's name As well as indica's name also got spoiled when they gave the car for sale to taxi's otherwise they would have been in a high positions now.
Yes boss. So far I don't have seat covers. Didn't need it much because I always keep my windows rolled up.

And the speakers do a poor job. I was wondering if replacing the two door speakers will be enough. One aftermarket guy showed me a pair of Infinity speakers costing 5k. Oval rear ones. Promised that it will mAke me HAPPY .

But expert opinion from this forum is much needed. And appreciated.

Thanks guys

@docraj:

Congrats for your New ride. many people are Fan of Indica(including me) and it is a proven car.

wish you millions of Happy miles with your mile muncher [:D]

@ greenhorn:

sad to hear about your experience with Indica. At the same time, all the Indica's are not bad. I previously owned a Black color TATA Indica DLS(2004) model and Currently owning a TATA VISTA VX(2012 Model) with 1,06,000Kms on ODO and still going strong(Touch-wood).

My Inidca's Ownership Thread : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...6-tata-indica-v2-dls-1-00-000-kms-review.html
My Vista's Ownership Thread :http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...rand-new-sedan-class-1-00-000kms-3-8-yrs.html

Recently I had driven Swift VXI for 2 weeks and not satisfied with its breaking/Build quality/Comfort/Space.I have no confidnece when I apply break on Swift.

We sold my Indica DLS to family friend, still it is running fine as a daily commuter and clocked more than 2L kms. I saw more number of Indica's which is still running like Gem even after 1,50,000kms.

I too agree, old TATA cars used to give some troubles, but will run till the Last breath. But current generation TATA cars are well matured and it will be a perfect company for our each and every drive.If we take care of car with proper service, it will take care of You.

BTW, recently heard a Turbo failure on Brand new XUV with 15K kms on ODO, does it mean all XUV's are bad?

Last edited:
Hello friends,

I am being offered April 2017 Indigo ecs LX variant (Diesel) and the dealer is offering huge discount, should i go for that variant as it is discontinued.

Regards
Harshit

Hello friends,

I am being offered April 2017 Indigo ecs LX variant (Diesel) and the dealer is offering huge discount, should i go for that variant as it is discontinued.

Regards
Harshit
Is it already discontinued but you can buy if warranty is offered. Also ask them to change all fluids and make sure the car was not a TD car.

Do proper PDI , before you confirm to buy.

Top Bottom