Tata Safari 3.0L Dicor: Ownership Report

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys , I am not good writer but will try my best . I will write a simple report

My relative brought safari 3.0 dicor in 20 November 2006 . But some how they changed there mind and put it on sell . I purchased from them at good discount. When i brought it its already covered 500KM so it was still brand new.

Till now it has completed 48570 KM . Happy with it except few problem which are famous.

Exterior :

Well i have golden colour safari and its muscular look made me fall in love with this SUV . With alloy wheels its look more dada giri SUV [gun].

Interior :
We all know Tata famous cheap interior nothing special to talk about it . while buying from owner i forgot to see that there was no roof AC [frustration] but still this car keep everyone enough cool in summer that they don't complain .I liked it Seat position even when scorpio is standing near me because seat it appear my car is more taller

Driving :
Driving this beast is lot of hard work in city like delhi But still no one dare to come infront of it so makes easy for me to drive :P . Gear is bit hard sometime get stuck told this to tata but still no solution . Its so much comfortable that my father and mother always sleeping while i take it through rough road . max. speed i have taken it is 150kmph . steering is light looking at such huge car which makes easy for us .

emergency Braking is good till 80kmph after that i never checked and don't have enough confidence to even check.

Pick up is not good but seeing other revive they improved in 2.2

Fuel consumption: at starting it was not good . i even started thinking it has huge monster consuming my fuel but after 5k hit it improved . So now i am getting 11-13kmpl in city with deadliest traffic it go down to 8-10kmpl With AC . On highway its 15-17kmpl with AC . But still after driving CNG car even this mileage look bad to me .

Maintenance : Well here is the real problem as after sale service is not good but if you can fight with them you will get best service like i get. Maintaining this car is costly because of TATA ASS else its a great SUV for its money

Pro :
Comfortable
spacious
Good looking even after 10-12 years old design

Cons:
Gear
cheap plastic
ASS

Will post more detail later

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Rahul: Nice writeup.
Nice car you own.
And your car has been maintained in good condition.
Those alloys give a distinctive look.[thumbsup]
Could see that your's car is running on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's 689.
How far have you clocked on these shoes?

In the 1st pic the wipers look tilted, Is this a normal condition?

Last edited:
Glad to see another TATA Safari owner finally here! Those alloys are looking fabulous!

I have rear roof AC which is really useful during hot summers in Chennai! The only thing even i and many people like about the Safari is the commanding seating position! Yes gearing sometimes gets stuck and i wont be able to engage 1st gear sometimes , complained many times but no use! Trust me , braking is not good beyond 120kmph , lacks the bite!

And hey the FE which you get is amazing , don expect anything better from an SUV. I get around 14-15kmpl with AC ON in highways.

My suggestion get rid of the car around 80-85k kms , it will start giving lots of problems beyond that! Trust me i have spent close to 1Lakh only for maintenance repairs this year alone till now! Check out my ownership report too here!

If not for TATA'S poor A.S.S this SUV is such a great car!

Thread Starter #4
@ Rahul: Nice writeup.
Nice car you own.
And your car has been maintained in good condition.
Those alloys give a distinctive look.[thumbsup]
Could see that your's car is running on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's 689.
How far have you clocked on these shoes?

Ya i tried my best to maintain this car .
you have eagle eyes or what . Also my first tire didn't even lasted till 30k due to rash driving always in hurry .
In the 1st pic the wipers look tilted, Is this a normal condition?
no idea about wiper i have look at it never noticed [sleep]

Glad to see another TATA Safari owner finally here! Those alloys are looking fabulous!

I have rear roof AC which is really useful during hot summers in Chennai! The only thing even i and many people like about the Safari is the commanding seating position! Yes gearing sometimes gets stuck and i wont be able to engage 1st gear sometimes , complained many times but no use! Trust me , braking is not good beyond 120kmph , lacks the bite!

And hey the FE which you get is amazing , don expect anything better from an SUV. I get around 14-15kmpl with AC ON in highways.

My suggestion get rid of the car around 80-85k kms , it will start giving lots of problems beyond that! Trust me i have spent close to 1Lakh only for maintenance repairs this year alone till now! Check out my ownership report too here!

I was thinking of selling it off and buying new safari but father saying no [cry] . CNG has taken control over brain of my father . Safari has completely spoiled me i don't like driving low floor car . Well only option left is too keep it . there is no petrol option also so that i can make my father to buy safari showing them that you can fit CNG my evil plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Just came across this thread which seems to have buried down due to other active ones. A great vehicle you own, mastersquall. I have to agree with most of the points mentioned, and I am a fan of its looks too. Tata Safari actually appears to be the real monster when running on roads while Mahindra Scorpio has its own charm amongst Indian audience. These images are not enough, share some interiors pictures as well, in daylight and also keep adding maintenance / servicing cost details which sure would help many out there.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Nice car you own Rahul . Except for A.S.S i love this SUV. Share some interior pics of your ride. Also tell us what all aceesories have you got onboard. Needless to say the led strips are looking great.

Thread Starter #7
Just came across this thread which seems to have buried down due to other active ones. A great vehicle you own, mastersquall. I have to agree with most of the points mentioned, and I am a fan of its looks too. Tata Safari actually appears to be the real monster when running on roads while Mahindra Scorpio has its own charm amongst Indian audience. These images are not enough, share some interiors pictures as well, in daylight and also keep adding maintenance / servicing cost details which sure would help many out there.

Drive Safe,
350Z
sorry for late reply after that day i forgot about this thread [frustration]

well problem is that i am not a person who keep too much record .

but i can tell you that till today i have invested around 58k which include recent oil change of my safari which costed me around 20k .

will post tomorrow some interior photo

Nice car you own Rahul . Except for A.S.S i love this SUV. Share some interior pics of your ride. Also tell us what all aceesories have you got onboard. Needless to say the led strips are looking great.
well for me ASS was good may be because they might be scare from me as there 2 employer lost job as they didn't do there job properly

really TATA ASS is improving lot compare to ASS when i brought safari

well when i brought it . i had installed pioneer cd player + 4 Sony speaker+ 2tweeter + sony subwoofer + 4 channel amplifier + 2 channel amplifer both sony (biggest mistake i did was going after sony )

but sony is backstabber for me why all things kept killing them self one by one i think they were lovers. so couldn't lived without each other

but now pinoor is still working + 2 front speaker . rest both tweeter were changed + rear speaker jbl + subwoofer of pioneer champion series +4 channel amplifier(sorry forgot the company name) recently cost me around 16k [anger] without bill as i know shop keeper very well . will take some photo tomorrow

now time to report some event
while returning form village area i notice some sound from suspension when safari was bouncing too much due to lot of quick up and down . no idea what is it will go to ASS check there .

one more thing about that area its perfect place if you want to check your off-road suspension . i also advise never go there with full stomach. else you will be setting outside car because of so much up and down .
this is my village where i was resting then head back after that much off-road

my safari 4x2 never made me think that i made wrong decision while buying .
one more thing my front left power window stopped working ASS was quoting me around 2450k where outside its 1260 at local shop still thinking which one to go

any advice

The only thing even i and many people like about the Safari is the commanding seating position! Yes gearing sometimes gets stuck and i wont be able to engage 1st gear sometimes , complained many times but no use! Trust me , braking is not good beyond 120kmph , lacks the bite!

yes definitly safari looks and feels awsome .i have been eyeing safari since ages . seating position followed with wide wind shield .
but for the overall engineering being very poor . driving experience makes you feel like you are driving a bulky truck. i wish tata could put more effort into otherwise great car to make it unbeatable . i think they great did it in ARIA!!!

Thread Starter #9
ok today when to market to get my window checked from another mechanic i knew . he told me power window motor is ok its other thing which is not working i forgot the name look at pic

It cost me around 430 + 100(mechanic) = Rs. 530

13112010062 by MasterSquall, on Flickr

and this is the shop i brought my item

13112010063 by MasterSquall, on Flickr

Note : this photo is Geo-Tagged so you can see location of shop in map

Even i have Sony HU and a Sony two channel amplifier in my Verna! Never know what is going to happen![lol]

What kind of noise do you get from the suspension? I have never experienced any noise from the suspension so far in my Safari till now.

Thread Starter #11
Even i have Sony HU and a Sony two channel amplifier in my Verna! Never know what is going to happen![lol]
well sony was never good with me . even my sony HU in santro stopped showing display as soon as warranty got over and also don't forget sony speaker [sleep]

What kind of noise do you get from the suspension? I have never experienced any noise from the suspension so far in my Safari till now.
it is like squishing sound . i don't know its normal or not but i only hear when i am offroading
-----------Next Post-----------
yes definitly safari looks and feels awsome .i have been eyeing safari since ages . seating position followed with wide wind shield .
but for the overall engineering being very poor . driving experience makes you feel like you are driving a bulky truck. i wish tata could put more effort into otherwise great car to make it unbeatable . i think they great did it in ARIA!!!
i think tata will answer your question with new safari as what i am hearing they are building on same platform as aria

Last edited:
Oh yes even i have heard that sound while going over some humps. I have even heard that in Scorpio. I thought it was normal.

Thread Starter #14
Nicely maintained! Your subwoofer has occupied almost the whole boot!

And no plans to get a steering cover? I kinda feel odd to hold that steering wheel without the cover and so got one for mine.

Top Bottom