Honda CB Unicorn - Review of the Black Cheetah

Thread Starter #1
This is my first ownership review in TAI. So please bear with me.[:D]

They say, “If you don’t stop and turn back to see your vehicle after parking it, you have bought a wrong one”. But in my case, I sometimes sit and stare at my vehicles.

Bikes are the first dream for the middle class guys. I waited till my first job and then applied for the loan and got the first bike. It was a like a dream coming true. But it was a short lived dream. Why?

Initial Days:
My first bike was TVS star city ES. My biggest mistake. My hard earned money went kaput. Right from the first day, there were lot of problems. Gear issues, electrical issues, bike turning off frequently, engine seizure, all happening within 6 months of ownership. The bike was clearly a lemon and the dealer never accepted it. Finally fed up and sold the bike in just 9 months and incurred a loss of 20000 RS.

Then I decided, this time it’s not going to be TVS. After seeing many good reviews, went to book Unicorn. But sadly, the waiting period was 8 months. I can’t wait 8 months as I don’t have a bike in hand. So settled with Unicorn Dazzler. It was good and I was happy with the decision. At the end of 2nd year, when I was standing in a red signal, a biker behind me has not noticed the signal and hit me from behind. The speed was so high that my bike hit another bike in front. The damage was big. bent Fork, bent handle bar, right hand side switch,broken RVM’s, drive chain damage. Being shocked of the bill quote provided, I sold my bike to the dealer and booked unicorn.

Why unicorn?

Having a good relationship with Honda service manager and a good experience with dazzler, I decided to settle with Unicorn. And there was no waiting period. So booked one and got it immediately on March 2012

Buying process: The buying process was smooth except for the bank loan (HDFC). The person just included the HDFC general insurance form along with the loan forms and its my bad not reading the whole forms and I just signed it. Result: 200 Rs extra per month for the sake of insurance.

IMG_20160120_085614.jpg
IMG_20160120_085637.jpg

Followed the run-in period and never crossed 50 kmph. And the below were my observations after 4 years of usage. And her birthday is coming soon.

KMS clocked till date. Seems a bit low for 4 years.
IMG_20160120_085807.jpg

What I like:
Engine: I am not talking about the technical specs as it can be found in many websites. The engine is among the best engines available. It is silent, have enough power and torque to ponder around in city and also in highway. I can easily take off in 2nd gear with minimal clutch slippage. There is no sudden surge and it picks up gradually. The bike can run smoothly all day. The maximum speed I achieved is 100 kmph in Chennai-Trichy highway, that too only once. I never cross 80 Kmph in highways, so that I can have a peaceful drive and the engine is also not stressed too much.

The heart:
IMG_20160120_085707.jpg

Gear shift: The gear shift is direct and precise. It is butter smooth. Coupled with a smooth clutch, the gear shift is a cake walk every time. Finding neutral is not at all a problem in unicorn and newbies will surely appreciate this. The gears are sure-slotting. I changed the gear lever from single lever to the usual heel and toe one. My lee cooper takes a hit every time when I shift gears in single lever.

The upgraded heel and toe lever:
IMG_20160120_085929.jpg

Seating position: I choose unicorn because of the upright seating position. I am not a fan of sporty seating position. All I want was a comfortable riding position. Clocking 30 kms daily, I want a good seating position. Unicorn satisfies me in that. I never had back pain while riding her. Once I rode her continuously for 250 Kms with a single break. At the end, I didn’t have any sort of discomfort.

IMG_20160120_085650.jpg

Suspension&stability: The front shocks and the rear shocks do the job very well. The main thing is that the rear suspension makes the ride planted. There are 3 settings provided, hard, medium and soft. I always keep it in hard. The ride is slightly stiff in rougher roads, but the balance of the bike is good. I could easily control her and she is stable. And yes, there is a difference in hard and soft mode when driving with a pillion. What I don’t like is while in soft mode with pillion is, the rear feels unsettled and there is a vertical movement in patchy roads.

IMG_20160120_085734.jpg
P.s. What’s with Honda and the rear shocks?? I feel the vertical movement with pillion in my activa too. And in my city too (with 2 passengers in rear seat).

Mileage and build quality: I get 50 KMPL regularly. It is a good mileage for a 150cc heart. I don’t feel high fluctuations in mileage. May be a difference of 2 to 4 kmpl here and there.
The bike looks classy for me. There are light touches of chrome in the dome and the side panels. It has a timeless look. Nothing flashy and the looks don’t offend anyone. I would say the build quality to be good. It could have been better. There are considerable amount of rough edges if you look closely like the bottom of the petrol tank, around the speedometer and below the dome. But it is not visible to normal eyes. The petrol tank is huge and holds 16 litres of petrol with 2 to 2.5 litre reserve. The bike looks huge and tips at 149 kgs. The chain sprocket is fully covered thereby not allowing the dusts to settle in. It is very useful in our dusty conditions.

A parting shot:
IMG_20160120_085743.jpg

Well. Not every bike is perfect. There may be some things which we don’t like too.
So coming now to the things I don’t like.

Service: Here I would like to split it in two.

Period 1: As I had good relationship with the service manager, the service quality was good during the first 3 services. Nothing to complain at all.

Period 2: The service manager has been changed. And all the problems started. The service has become poor from good. Not even a single complaint will be rectified. They have spoilt the front suspensions and the engine too. During one of the paid service, I think they have removed the engine for checking the valve clearance and then they have closed it without the gasket. Result: Engine oil leak and timing chain gone kaput. And the irony is while picking the bike from service and returning home, the bike switched off and never turned on. Well, now stranded in the middle of the road. Found a mechanic shop nearby and the thing was spark plug has gone and ASC has not changed it.
Finally found a good mechanic near my home and the bike is in complete good shape.

Tyres&breaks: I am not satisfied with the rear drums. The stoppage power is not enough. The front disc does the job well. Overall, the braking power is satisfactory and could have been better (May be I am accustomed with the rear discs of my previous bike).

The disc. Think its Nissin.
IMG_20160120_085720.jpg

Coming to tyres, the stock was Mrf zapper. What is happening with MRF nowadays? The grip levels were not satisfactory. And there was road noise in the tyres(If listened to keenly). So after 30000 kms, changed it to Michelin Sirac. The tyre is good with no road noise and ample grip. The braking is also good and confident inspiring now rather than with the MRF’s.

IMG_20160120_090004.jpg

Switch gears: The switch gears are of poor quality. There are no soft actions and sure slotting switch gears. The indicators pass switch and the headlight beam switch are of poor quality and I changed them twice in 4 years and still they are not sure slotting. Many a times, these switches get struck in between and it gets annoying. Honda should really concentrate here and provide good quality switches. The same problem is faced with my activa too.

The poor quality of the switch gears:
IMG_20160120_090039.jpg
IMG_20160120_090047.jpg

Tail light rattling: And the infamous tail light rattling is there in my unicorn too. This is common in all generations of Unicorn, so I didn’t pay attention to that. It is not that annoying too. So left it as it is. Don’t want to open it and increase the rattling.
So overall, I am satisfied with owning the bike and I am very happy with it. I treat her well and in turn she too treats me well.

Will I recommend Unicorn to others? Yes.

Why? It’s a no nonsense 150cc commuter bike which is light on pocket and has good performance and mileage combined.

So how do I maintain my bike?
I will never miss the service intervals. I am using shell synthetic oil and the engine feels smoother and better. Will wash the bike regularly and sees that the rusting doesn’t takeover. Also regularly cleaning and lubricating the drive chain makes the drive a breeze and increase the life of the chains. And I have befriended the local mechanic and he does a very good job for my bike.

Drive chain info:
IMG_20160120_085942.jpg
Vista chain lube. Lubricates well.
IMG_20160120_102332.jpg

P.S. Always wear a helmet while riding. A nice saying, “Please protect your brains while driving, if you have one”.

The keychain.. Superman[:)]
IMG_20160120_090058.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Good report mate[clap]
I own Honda CB Unicorn since last 1.5 years and is nice bike to ride in traffic and on highway gives too much fun.
Now a days in Pune giving bike to servicing to garage is very risky. one of my friend is also having experience of part replacement during servicing. Very strange.
My daily running is 25KM in Pune city. Till date my bike is running without any major problem except suspension. Mono suspension is too hard and gives me back pain while driving. I observed that this is the case only when I drive a bike alone. When I drive double seat then shocks are absorbed and wont give back pain.
Is there any way to soften the suspension?
Please suggest.

Thread Starter #3
Good report mate[clap]
I own Honda CB Unicorn since last 1.5 years and is nice bike to ride in traffic and on highway gives too much fun.
Now a days in Pune giving bike to servicing to garage is very risky. one of my friend is also having experience of part replacement during servicing. Very strange.
My daily running is 25KM in Pune city. Till date my bike is running without any major problem except suspension. Mono suspension is too hard and gives me back pain while driving. I observed that this is the case only when I drive a bike alone. When I drive double seat then shocks are absorbed and wont give back pain.
Is there any way to soften the suspension?
Please suggest.
You can adjust the suspension to soft. Please refer the owners manual and adjust the suspension to soft. It will be better.

Yes I too hear this from my friends who have Honda bikes and its fact.

What they do is; when you give your vehicle for servicing, they take out a part that is in good condition and put it in another vehicle which has that part problem. Then that problematic part is fitted into your vehicle.

The vehicle that has part problem will have no warranty (expired) so the owner cannot claim part replacement instead service center guys do above thing and make few bucks. Say new part costs Rs. 3000 but they take 1000 from owner saying I can get you a new part from outside with cheap rate.

Now you'll have that problematic part which you wouldn't notice for time and when you do, it will be replaced under warranty otherwise the service center guys do same thing as I told above. Get a working part from other vehicle and charge you few bucks. Next the other guy has to suffer so it goes on like this.

We cannot prevent this from happen because most of service center don't do servicing in front of you.

@Nag2fat

Nice review and you have kept your ride very well. Keep it up [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Yes I too hear this from my friends who have Honda bikes and its fact.

What they do is; when you give your vehicle for servicing, they take out a part that is in good condition and put it in another vehicle which has that part problem. Then that problematic part is fitted into your vehicle.

The vehicle that has part problem will have no warranty (expired) so the owner cannot claim part replacement instead service center guys do above thing and make few bucks. Say new part costs Rs. 3000 but they take 1000 from owner saying I can get you a new part from outside with cheap rate.

Now you'll have that problematic part which you wouldn't notice for time and when you do, it will be replaced under warranty otherwise the service center guys do same thing as I told above. Get a working part from other vehicle and charge you few bucks. Next the other guy has to suffer so it goes on like this.

We cannot prevent this from happen because most of service center don't do servicing in front of you.

p.s Nice review Nag2fat and you have kept your ride very well. Keep it up [thumbsup]
Thank you Cracing. All honda bikes and scooters comes with 5 years warranty. They include the extended warranty package along with the on road price and they are not agreeing to cancelling the extended warranty. They are forcing their customers to get the extended warranty. However I am not able to make a single warranty claim from them. They will never replace the parts in warranty and they will charge. When they changed the fork set of my bike, it is covered under the extended warranty as per the warranty booklet. However they refused the warranty claim and they made me to pay for it. And guess what, when my local mechanic opened the front shocks, the springs are damaged which is still fishy for me and him as how it happened. [frustration]

Thank you Cracing. All honda bikes and scooters comes with 5 years warranty. They include the extended warranty package along with the on road price and they are not agreeing to cancelling the extended warranty. They are forcing their customers to get the extended warranty. However I am not able to make a single warranty claim from them. They will never replace the parts in warranty and they will charge. When they changed the fork set of my bike, it is covered under the extended warranty as per the warranty booklet. However they refused the warranty claim and they made me to pay for it. And guess what, when my local mechanic opened the front shocks, the springs are damaged which is still fishy for me and him as how it happened. [frustration]
Yes same here, when I had bought my Honda Dio they said extended warranty is compulsory and cannot be refused.

I haven't claimed any warranty till date but my Dio has starter problem lately. No matter how much I ride, it refuses to start the vehicle and I have to kick start every time. I have checked the voltage of battery and its full. That means the starter is faulty and I'm sure it was replaced when I had give it for servicing. [cry]

May be front shocks or springs in your bike could have replaced as well.

btw; what is that dial below odometer needle? That shows 099 0

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Yes same here, when I had bought my Honda Dio they said extended warranty is compulsory and cannot be refused.

I haven't claimed any warranty till date but my Dio has starter problem lately. No matter how much I ride, it refuses to start the vehicle and I have to kick start every time. I have checked the voltage of battery and its full. That means the starter is faulty and I'm sure it was replaced when I had give it for servicing. [cry]

May be front shocks or springs in your bike could have replaced as well.

btw; what is that dial below odometer needle? That shows 099 0
It is the trip meter. Stop servicing in Honda ASC. It is next to useless. Give it to a trusted mechanic who takes care of bikes well.

Hi,
I heard that this Unicorn model was stopped and it was replaced by half mask type? Is it true.
Yes. The unicorn model is stopped. It has now been replaced by CB unicorn 160 with slightly modified power and torque figures. The looks are ok(not that stylish) but I think the performance will be same as Unicorn. I have not got a chance to ride it. And Honda now launched CB hornet(which is also a modified version of Unicorn) for competing with FZ .

Honda's are proven in the segment.
But as you mentioned do chain lubing regularly,as its chain tends to become loose within 2 weeks of service.I think its an issue with chain tension(The material and kinks in the chain is linked with tension).

Engine oil of honda is best,provides optimum performance and mileage.

Also at 10k intervals top up the suspension fluid,to avoid suspension overhaul jobs.

It is the trip meter.
Analog trip meter. [shock] Till now I believed trip meter feature is only possible in digital technology.

But how does it reset to zero? Does it rewind with a motor? [thinking]

Stop servicing in Honda ASC. It is next to useless. Give it to a trusted mechanic who takes care of bikes well.
I thought to do same but we cannot get Honda engine oil outside, which is supposed to be the best oil for their engines. Other brand oils may not be as optimum.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Honda's are proven in the segment.
But as you mentioned do chain lubing regularly,as its chain tends to become loose within 2 weeks of service.I think its an issue with chain tension(The material and kinks in the chain is linked with tension).

Engine oil of honda is best,provides optimum performance and mileage.

Also at 10k intervals top up the suspension fluid,to avoid suspension overhaul jobs.
Yes. I think I should stick with 10k km suspension fluid change. Thank you. It will surely increase the life of the springs. Till now I think I changed the oil only once while changing the springs. Maybe if I changed the oil regularly I should have saved some money.

Analog trip meter. [shock] Till now I believed trip meter feature is only possible in digital technology.

But how does it reset to zero? Does it rewind with a motor? [thinking]

I thought to do same but we cannot get Honda engine oil outside, which is supposed to be the best oil for their engines. Other brand oils may not be as optimum.
All original honda spare parts, including honda engine oil is available in after market here in Chennai. May be then it will be available in all locations.

If you look closely between the speedometer and tachometer, there will be a black button which is for resetting the trip meter. But I am not sure of its mechanism.

Actually i say that Honda ASS is comparitively better than roadside mechanics (If you get a qualified mechanic then surely go for it), some shops don't have Bike ramps to carry out major works,so they turn down the bike and they will do the job,this can damage the bike.

Thread Starter #13
Actually i say that Honda ASS is comparitively better than roadside mechanics (If you get a qualified mechanic then surely go for it), some shops don't have Bike ramps to carry out major works,so they turn down the bike and they will do the job,this can damage the bike.
Some ASC are good. Here in Chennai, some ASC are good, but they are too far away from my home. So finally ended up with a good local mechanic. He understands me well and treat my bike well. He has the ramp in his workshop, but yes many local mechanic's don't. So we need to be careful here. Usually I go and sit and watch while bike while servicing(except for times when I am busy with other works).

Top Bottom