2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The Story Of My Pre-worshipped Car

Thread Starter #1

Prelude:
My First vehicle was Hero Honda Splendor which was bought in 2000. It served me three years and on one bad day, It was stolen and sofar not traced out. Then in 2006, I’ve bought again a Hero Honda but this time Passion Plus which is IMO, a fantastic and trouble free two wheeler and still serving me. In 2012, we purchased Ford Figo Diesel Titanium Car which was the first car in our family. We enjoyed every bit of it travelling nearly 18,000 Kms in it. I loved it for its handling and awesome hydraulic steering feedback. IMO, it’s a delightful car for any enthusiast. Unfortunately, due to some personal reasons, we had to sell this car in mid 2013.

For a brief time, I considered another car and even TD’ed few cars. But then we were already started building a new house and thought this could be difficult to manage the money. So, dropped the idea of buying a new car. So, I concentrated in building the new house and never really had enough money or time to focus on other car. Constructing a new house never was an easy thing. It actually doubled my budget as I didn’t compromise on the quality. However, I successfully completed the new house and we moved into it in December 2014.

My office is just below 4kms from my house and I prefer to go in two wheeler to office. But, to move with family to some place without a car has become difficult. Moreover, our new house is in semi urban place. And Yes, the driver in me woke again. :) So, I thought of owning a car again. So, too many calculations and the end results were negative. Most of my salary is going for house loan EMI and if I buy a new car, life becomes too tight. So, dropped the idea to buy the new vehicle and am in the market to buy a "Pre-Worshipped" car.

Cars Considered:

Ford Figo: Like ‘The First Cut is the Deepest’, since I loved my first car so much, I thought of getting figo again. I even TD’ed a Figo which was in good condition and maintained a good service history. Later, I thought why not to consider another car which may even more good driving dynamics with good steering feedback to satisfy my soul further. :D

Fiat Grande Punto: I actually was intend to buy this one back in 2012 but dropped the idea, especially since some of my friends horrified me with their experiences. Since, it was my first car, I couldn’t dare to experiment. Now, it’s time. One of my colleagues has this car and I drove it sometimes and I loved its driving dynamics. I saw few advertised cars in Olx, Quicker etc. But, the budget was not allowed me to go for it.

Fiat Siena: Awesome Car. I encountered one in my town of 2004 model. But the guy was asking too much for it. So, I dropped it.

Fiat Palio: I know this car, But, honestly, don’t know much details about this car until I found few advertisements in Olx and in Quicker. I dig forums and come to know this was fantastic car. I looked for Palio 1.6 (Petrol) and Palio D 1.9 (Diesel). I intentionally avoided Multijet ones because they were priced higher in the market. Moreover, Iam considering a new Fiat car in the years to come.

So, I zeroed on Palio and the search was began.

001.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Test Drive Impressions

I found few really good maintained cars in Olx and Quicker but were demanding too much money for them. But in the last week of September 2015, I saw one Palio D 1.9 ELX advertisement in Olx which pulled my attention. I immediately called the owner who is from Hyderabad and he was patient enough to answer all my queries and sent few pictures in WhatsApp. He said he was the second owner who got this car a couple of years ago and now wanted to sell it since he got another car and has no space to keep it. Surprisingly, he even advised me not to buy the car since my place has no service points or availability of spares. However, I liked his honesty attitude and wanted to test-drive the car. It’s a 2004 modeled ‘Glacier White’ colored car which has 1910 CC naturally aspirated diesel engine and has 65 BHP@4500 rpm and 120 NM torque@2500 rpm. It has few more goodies like all power windows, adjustable mirrors, folding rear seats with decent boot, rear wiper & defogger, tachometer, Hydraulic Power Steering etc.

First Look Of the car in Olx
01 - First Look.jpg

Owner & Me
02 - Former Owner & Me.jpg

Pollution Check
03 - PolluChecks.jpg

Meantime, I contacted ‘hillram aka Ram Kiran’, the awesome Fiat lover and the founder of ‘Hyderabad Fiat Classic Club’. He was friendly, co-operative, and very helpful who gave me many suggestions. On my request, He even forwarded his trusted mechanic number. Next, I travelled Hyderabad and had a test drive the above car and My First Impressions were as below.

Positives:
• The engine Power and the torque is awesome and the ODO is just 86470 kms
• The steering feedback is awesome
• All four Tyres are Yokohama A Drive tubeless and are in very good condition.
• It’s Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engine, hence no Turbo Lag. So, It’s a pure bliss to drive this car even in city roads.
• Driver seating position is comfortable to me although it doesn’t have seat height adjustment.
• The brakes are fantastic even though it doesn’t have ABS.
• The back seats are comfortable and have decent leg room.
• Adequate Boot which could swallow everything you may need for a weekend trip.
• All Power Windows and their Control Switches are accessible to driver.
• Height adjustable seat belts
• Deep Glove box with Cup holders.
• Cigar Lighter which can be used as Mobile Charger.
• Ash Tray Near Cigar Lighter. Since Iam not a smoker, It can be useful to keep Papers/Mobile.
• Driving Mirror with Anti Glare Position which could be helpful in night driving.
• Default wiring to install 6 speakers (2 on front doors, 2 Front Tweeters, 2 On Parcel Trey)

Negatives:
• The Car looks bad from outside as it has scratches and dents on almost every door and one deep scratch on bonnet. Perhaps need to repaint the vehicle.
• The AC is not working (Owner said, A gas refill would be enough). One of the central AC Vent is missing and other vents are in bad condition. Perhaps, I need to change them all.
• Vibrations and Rattles, especially more in Idle Condition.
• Heavy wind and engine sounds in the cabin.
• No Boot lamp Provision.
• No Music System/Speakers.
• Only One Manual Key is available. Remote is not working.
• Lapsed Insurance and I need to pay for that
• ORVMS are in bad condition and need to replace them.
• No Bottle Holders what so ever. You need to put the bottles in the back seat covers only. Perhaps, Fiat might think their customers are over joyous in their superb driving dynamics cars and forget to drink water. :D
• Rear Windows Control Buttons Located near the Gear Lever is not working.
• Cabin Lamp is not working. Need to change the bulb
• Antenna was Broken, Need to be replaced.
• Front and Rear Wiper Blades are weak and need to be replaced.
• Spare tyre is Bridgestone normal tyre which is in average condition
• Broken Wheel Caps

Thread Starter #3
Palio D Become My Car

Besides all those negativities, I liked the car for its driving dynamics and especially for its superb steering feedback. So, I decided to buy it. Since I trusted this owner, I paid the full amount to him who assured me to send NOC as soon as possible. We exchanged few essential documents and had some photos and left to the mechanic suggested by 'Sri Ram Kiran Garu'. The mechanic accompanied me and had a long drive before he conclude what need to be done. I wanted to focus on mechanical things first and suggested the mechanic to pay attention on engine running condition and to replace all oils. Since, I need to attend an urgent office project, I left the car with mechanic and requested ‘Ram Kiran’ garu to supervise the work, who kindly accepted that. After Five days i.e on 10.10.2015, again I went to Hyderabad to pickup my car. In the meantime, ‘Ram Kiran’ garu has supervised the vehicle and made sure all mechanical parts are in working condition and even had a test drive and impressed with its engine and running condition. I met him and saw his amazing Fiat Vehicles. I simply wonder-struck with his Fiat & Vespa scooters collection, and it was the first time, I have seen such a big automobile fan. Before I leave, we had few photos and then I thanked him humbly for helping me. I must say, without the co-operation and suggestions of him, It wouldn’t be the same. A million thanks to you 'Ram Kiran Garu'. [clap]

'hillram aka Sri Ram Kiran Garu' & Me
05 - Ram Kiran Garu & Me.jpg

Then, I bought some cheap wheel caps (Rs. 550 including fitting charges), Checked the Air pressure in all 5 tyres, had a full tank of Diesel and zoomed to my place. Hyderabad traffic was heavy on that day, but I didn’t feel any trouble driving in the city since the car can move on any gear without any trouble, moreover AC is working now. Once I get rid of traffic, I intend to test the car.

At 3000 RPM car reaches 100 kms speed. Although Manual says 155 km/h is the maximum allowed speed for Palio 1.9 D, I’ve observed it won’t go beyond 125 km/hr. Is it normal for Palio D or some kind of lock in it? Folks, Please throw some light on it. :please:

06 - With Hanuman.jpg

After some 80 kms of journey, suddenly AC and Fan stopped working. I stopped the vehicle and checked all fuses. Fuses are fine but no help. Since I couldn’t find any mechanic, I continued my journey without AC which was quite discomfort. However, Once the Sun passed, cool breeze helped me to relax a bit. When I reached home, the trip meter showed 416 Kms. The whole journey was awesome. But, had it been AC working and had Music System, the journey would have been more joyful.
P.S: When I reached home, I've observed two wheel caps fall down somewhere. [frustration]

07 - When I reached Home.jpg

Thread Starter #4
Installing Music System, Speakers, Wipers & New AC Vents

The next day, I took the Car to local AC point. They did few tests and found the Gas has leaked and also found it have some loose connections. They fixed all these things. Next with the kind co-operation of my friend SunnyBoi, I could able to purchase Central and Side AC Vents. Many thanks my friend. clap:

AC Checkup
08 - Ac Check.jpg

Next, I drove to local Car Decors shop and selected the following things.

Sony MEX-N4150BT Single Din Head Unit: The main reason to select this one is because it can play FLAC format. Moreover, it can handle some typical things such as Blutooth, Mp3 and other stuff.
JBL Component Speakers i.e. JBL CX 650 CSI: I don’t know anything about this particular item but just put my faith on the brand. I purchased the speakers for front side only. In future, I may update with Rear Speakrs + A decent 4 Channel Amplifier.
Antenna for Radio: Since I couldn’t find the original one in my place, I had compromised with locally available one which comes for Rs. 300/- (Including Fitting charge). Unfortunately, It was broken on the second day itself. So, I had ordered one in 99 RPM For Rs. 1000/- (Including Nuts & Bolts), which is Made in Brazil one.
• Also bought New Front Wipers from Paytm costed Rs. 211.

Let the Pictures Tell You the Story.

Music System & Speakers Installation:
11- Sony.JPG

11a - Remote.JPG

11d - JBL.jpg

11b- JBL 2.jpg

11c - JBL 4.jpg

11e- JBL3.jpg

11f - JBL4.jpg

11g.jpg

11h.jpg

11i.jpg

11j.jpg

11k.jpg

11l.jpg

11m.jpg

11o.jpg

11p.jpg

You can see there's absolutely no way you can keep a water bottle there at driver side's door.
11n.jpg

Front Wipers Installation
11q-wipers.JPG
11r-wipers.jpg

New AC Vents Installation
12AC.jpg

12b.jpg

12c.jpg

12cd.jpg

12d.jpg

12f.jpg

12g.jpg

12e.JPG

Thread Starter #5
Inside & Outside Of the Car

That bonnet has some special appeal. Ain't that sexy, although it's too old? :)
A09 - Bonnet.jpg
A09a.jpg

B09 - Rear View.jpg

C - Side Profile.jpg

D- Side 2.jpg

E- LH Mirror.jpg

Look at the hill. It resembles the trunk of Lord Ganesha
F09b - Ganesha.jpg

And Look at this very same hill in different angle. It resembles a woman head lay down on the ground with her beautiful hair and two other hills resembles like her breasts.
F09b-Woman.jpg

G09g- Central Gril.JPG
Engine Bay with 1910 CC Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engine. Now, one of the Last and rare breeds.
H09h - Engine Bay.JPG

Under Body - Front Side
I09j - Under Body Front.JPG

Under Body - Rear Side
J09i - Under Body Rear.JPG

Door Moulding & Stone Guard
ZC09k - Door Moulding & Stone Guard.JPG

3 Spoke Steering Wheel which is fantastic to hold & Control Stalks. LH Stalk have the controls of Washer and Wipers and RH Stalk have the controls of Head Lights and Turn Indicators.
K10.jpg

Handbrake, Seat Belt Holders & Front Seats Pushback adjustments
L10a- Handbrake & Seat Pushback adjustments.JPG

Power Windows Control Buttons @ Driver Side
M10a.jpg

ABC Pedals & Dead Pedal which is still missing in some costly cars. Kudos to Fiat for including this back in 2004. [clap]
N10aABC Pedals.jpg

Provision for Cigar Lighter
O10a-cigar.jpg

Cigar Lighter can be used as Mobile Charger
P10a-MobCharger.JPG

Control Switches for Rear Power Windows
Q10a-RearControls.jpg

3 Step Glove Box
R10b - Glove Box.JPG

Deep Glove Box with Cup Holders
S10c Glove Box.jpg

Driver Side Sunvisor with Document Holder
T10d-DriSunvisor.JPG

Passenger Side Sunvisor with Mirror
U10e-PassSunVisor.JPG

Rear View Mirror
V10f- Rear View Mirror.jpg

Cabin Lamp
W10g - Cabin Lamp.JPG

Mirror Adjuster from Inside, One of the first cars came with this option back in 2004.
X10h - Mirror Adjuster.JPG

Height adjustable seat belts. It's still missing in some costly cars.
Y10i- Height Adjustable Seat Belts.JPG

Bonnet Releaser
Z10j - Bonnet Release.JPG

Boot & Diesel Cap Releases
ZA10k- Boot & Diesel Cap Releasers.JPG

Height Adjustable Headrests
ZB - Height Adj Headrests.jpg

Three Belts Provision at Back Seat
1 10m - Three Belt Provison.JPG

Back Seat Comfort. You can also see the back seat covers with zippers. That's the only place we can keep water bottles.
2 10O- Back Seat Comfort.JPG

This is the rear space after I adjusted my driving position
3 10p - Back Seat.JPG

Minimum Rear Leg Room
4 10q- Minimum Rear Legroom.JPG

Maximum Rear Leg Room
5 10r- Maximum Rear Leg Room.JPG

Rear Window, That's the maximum we can roll down
6 10s- Rear Door Window.JPG

Rear Head Room
7 10t- Rear Headroom.JPG

Rear Left Side Window With Power Windows Button, Door Handle, Door Opener & Ash Trey
8 10u - Rear Door.JPG

Ash Trey on Rear LH Door (Close-Up)
9 10v- Ash Trey on Rear Doors.JPG

Roof handle with a hanger, useful to hang a bag/shirt.
10L- All three sides gets this.JPG

Decent 260 Liters Boot Space
1210x2aboot.JPG

Boot Space After 1 row down
1310x3bootwith 1row down.JPG

Complete Boot Space with 950 Liters Capacity. You can also see the provision for rear speakers on both side of parcel trey
1410x1complteboot.JPG

Cabin. You can see rear fixed head rests.
11 10x4cabin.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Installation Of Radio Antenna & Fiat Blue Logo Wheel Caps

Few days back, the Car Crossed 90,000 Kms and It's gone through a little celebration. [:D]

15-90K.jpg

15awash.jpg

15bwash.jpg

Received the Original Radio Antenna (Made In Brazil), Thanks to 99 RPM. :)
16 antenna.jpg

16a.jpg

16b.jpg

16c.jpg

16d.jpg

16e.jpg

16f.jpg

Wheel Alignment.
16g.jpg

16halign.jpg

Original Fiat Palio Blue Logo Wheel Caps. Quite expensive but looks very good. Thanks to my friend and, SunnyBoi
16i-Align.jpg

17 -wheelcaps.jpg

17a.jpg

17b.jpg

17c.jpg

17d.jpg

17e.jpg

19a.JPG

Present ODO: 90,216 Kms.
19-PresentODO.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
My Experience with Car, Future Mods & Plans

My daily usage of the car is about 30 kms which covers office and for other things. But I also like to use it for weekend trips and for highway cruise. So far, I covered nearly 3800 Kms in more or less 45 days. Mileage is at an average of 17/18 kms per liter as per tankful method.

In my experience, this car pulls great, but noise levels are too much, albeit riding is a pleasure since the handling and steering response is awesome. Few other things like below are causing inconvenience.
• AC is tripping very often.
• Black Smoke from Silencer
• Rattles, Vibrations & Too much of wind and engine sounds

Iam planning to Do/Change in Future as below:
• Total Body Paint (Either White Or Ferrari Red)
• Front & Rear Logos
• Installation of Boot Lamp
• New Front Head Lights, Tail Lamps, Side Indicators
• New Set Of ORVMs
• Changing Of All Rubber Beadings/Moldings
• Customized Leather Upholstery
• 14” or 15” Tyres with Alloy Wheels
• A decent 4 Channel Amplifier + Rear Speakers
• Damping
• Installation of Fog Lamps
• Rear Spoiler
• Sporty Metallic Pedals

I thank you for reading my ownership review. Please shoot your advises too. [:)]

Parting Shots:
20a.jpg

20b.jpg

20c.jpg

20-Parting.jpg

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thanks for the comprehensive Report Raaj. Palio is still one of enthusiast friendly car and your's has been kept in very good condition. I told you to keep the review simple and put lot of pics. You certainly have done a great effort. Do keep updating it regularly and have a great ownership now on.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the comprehensive Report Raaj. Palio is still one of enthusiast friendly car and your's has been kept in very good condition. I told you to keep the review simple and put lot of pics. You certainly have done a great effort. Do keep updating it regularly and have a great ownership now on....
Thank You Dear Akash for your kind words. I shall surely update the thread with changes/services.

Hi,
Congratulations on your used FIAT Palio. Welcome to FIAT family.
Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Thank You Ambylovers for your heartfelt words. Like you said, hopefully, the car will gives good time for me and I shall take care of her. :)

Thread Starter #14
That is a nice way of loving a car.Keep it white itself. All the parts are available through website.Keep revving!
Thank You Generalmax. :)

Yes, most likely I shall keep it white.

How about All White except roof and ORVMS as Red Colour?

Top Bottom