Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2015 Zeta (Petrol): Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
This is New Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2015 ownership review. Covering buying, ownership and maintenance experiences.

Hello Guys,

I am a happy owner of Suzuki Baleno Petrol.I booked the car on 28 th October 2015 and got delivery on 2nd november from Nexa Mandovi Mangalore.I have driven 250 kms plus till date on all kind of roads.I will write a brief review of my new car.[:)]

EXTERIORS:
When i first saw spy pics of Baleno,I hated it and called it "funny" looking Swift.Gradually the looks have grown on me.I love the rear and side look of Baleno.Maruti could have given a better front end and good alloys.Car looks like a mixture of VW polo and BMW 1 series from behind.Though not a fan of front look,I can say it looks balanced.Also Zeta and Alpha variants gets chrome belt line on windows and rear chrome strip.Paint quality is superb and panel gaps are tight.I expected build quality to be average for a car weighing just 890 kgs.But I was shocked and impressed with build(not on par with Germans).Doors do not feel light and tailgate is heavy[clap]

INTERIORS:
Baleno gets all black interiors and I am really happy about it.I hate beige interiors and very difficult to maintain.Interior quality and fit and finish is good for a Maruti car(Hyundai/VW have better quality plastics).Steering is leather wrapped and looks sporty.MID looks really cool and has advanced functions in Zeta and Alpha variants.Front seats offer good all around support.Baleno is the most spacious in it's class.Maruti could have given better under thigh support for rear seats.Boot space is huge,but has a high loading lip.

ENGINE AND GEARBOX:
Baleno is powered with 1.2 L K series engine.It feels more refined than Swift.It is difficult to know whether car is on or off at idling position without looking at Tacho.NVH is well controlled and absolutely zero vibrations.Coming to power delivery,there is good low end torque.Car picks up speed from 50 kmph in 5 th gear.I am used to driving turbo diesel cars.Baleno needs to be revved above 3k rpm for performance.Engine doesn't sound coarse or strained even at higher rpm's.Gear shifts are butter smooth and Maruti has given good gear rations to extract the juice out of engine[:D].Clutch is light and works without any issues.I have not crossed 120 kmph since it is a brand new car.I usually stick to 80 kmph,just revved it once because i couldn't control to feel the power.I have driven 250 kms plus and MID is showing 17.5 kmpl mileage,Impressed!!

RIDE AND HANDLING:
Maruti has got the right balance between ride and handling.Ride quality is really good,neither too stiff or soft.Road undulations does not unsettle the car.GC is adequate and did not kiss the bottom on bad roads.Handling is good too,but not as sharp as swift(which gets Rally Based Sports Supsension).Body roll is well contained and tyres offer adequate grip.Car feels planted at high speeds even with weight of just 890 kgs.

FEW ADDITIONAL POINTS:
1.Zeta loses projectior lamps,but headlights offer good illumination.(Osram bilux bulbs as stock)
2.ECU is small in size compared to diesel and made by BOSCH India.
3.ABS is Bosch China make and Airbags by Takata India
4.Spare tyre is non alloy and smaller size too,gone are the days when maruti used to provide all 5 alloys(like in my sx4)
5.Baleno brochure misses few feature comparison between variants.I will list down a few
a.Vanity mirror illumination present only in Alpha
b.Alpha gets different tail lamps too.
c.No Tweeters in Delta variant.
d.No rear chrome strip and chrome belt line in Delta.
e.Both Zeta and Alpha gets 16 inch alloy wheels.

Guys,if you have any doubts or want particular pics, please let me know.

IMG-20151108-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20151108-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20151108-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20151108-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20151108-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20151108-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20151108-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20151108-WA0014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: First Baleno of TAI:Premium Silver Zeta Petrol!!!

FEW ADDITIONAL POINTS:
1.Zeta loses projectior lamps,but headlights offer good illumination.(Osram bilux bulbs as stock)
2.ECU is small in size compared to diesel and made by BOSCH India.
3.ABS is Bosch China make and Airbags by Takata India
4.Spare tyre is non alloy and smaller size too,gone are the days when maruti used to provide all 5 alloys(like in my sx4)
5.Baleno brochure misses few feature comparison between variants.I will list down a few
a.Vanity mirror illumination present only in Alpha
b.Alpha gets different tail lamps too.
c.No Tweeters in Delta variant.
d.No rear chrome strip and chrome belt line in Delta.
e.Both Zeta and Alpha gets 16 inch alloy wheels.

Guys,if you have any doubts or want particular pics,please let me know

Congrats on your new buy and Happy miles ahead.

Are you sure that Zeta too has 16 inch alloys.
To ky understanding only Alpha would get 16inch and spare wheel of 15 inch.

Can you check once if Zeta too would get 16inch ? Also please check the spare wheel if it is 15inch.

Thread Starter #3

Congrats on your new buy and Happy miles ahead.

Are you sure that Zeta too has 16 inch alloys.
To ky understanding only Alpha would get 16inch and spare wheel of 15 inch.

Can you check once if Zeta too would get 16inch ? Also please check the spare wheel if it is 15inch.
I own zeta variant and tyres are 16 inch alloys.Spare is 15 inch MRF tyres in all variants.
Cheers

Congratulations on your new car!

Did you enquire whether the projector setup can anytime be fixed as an accessory in the zeta variant? Also how is the bench like rear seat? Do people tend to slide a lot ? Are you planning to get it re-bolstered with more under thigh support and contours? Is a rear arm rest addable to the seat back?

Thread Starter #5

Congratulations on your new car!

Did you enquire whether the projector setup can anytime be fixed as an accessory in the zeta variant? Also how is the bench like rear seat? Do people tend to slide a lot ? Are you planning to get it re-bolstered with more under thigh support and contours? Is a rear arm rest addable to the seat back?
Dealer said they won't upgrade it to projectors and suggested to me do outside.I did not get accessories,even mats and mud flap.He told they will give during first service.Rear seats are not bad,there is humongous space.Little more under thigh support and more recline would have been awesome.Can we change rear seat bench??

First Baleno of TAI:Premium Silver Zeta Petrol!!!

Congratulations for the Baleno, nkonamme. Hope you enjoy lots and lots of miles with smiles in your car. Yes the seatback much be replace-able but I doubt it would be easy to fit in some other car's seatback or modify the existing one. Let it be and enjoy the car. Did you find it too uncomfortable? How does it compare with Dzire's backrest?

How is drivability in traffic? Does the A Pillar block view too much? Also how is overall visibility once seated in the cabin? How was the dealership experience from NEXA? Was it leagues apart from you'd have experienced while buying your SX4 from normal dealership?

And regarding the alloy wheel confusion, both the Zeta and Alpha get 16" alloy wheels. Its a different thing that the alloy wheels look no better than basic wheel covers.

Dealer said they won't upgrade it to projectors and suggested to me do outside.I did not get accessories,even mats and mud flap.He told they will give during first service.Rear seats are not bad,there is humongous space.Little more under thigh support and more recline would have been awesome.Can we change rear seat bench??
It's such a shame that the projectors can't be added as an accessory even! But yes, you can get maybe an exact replica from after market shops if the need be or even a nicer one![:D]

You can definitely get the seats upholstered and bolstered from a reputed firm. They can probably do a neat job of increasing thigh support with more cushion and padding and they can also add seat bolsters, meaning contoured sides to more hug you in place and make you more comfortable. They can also probably add a rear armrest into the existing seat back. Though in the pictures I've seen the seat back seems to be thin and not sure if it can be incorporated with an arm rest. If you have a lot of journeys with rear seats occupied i would suggest you visit the best upholstery people in your town.

The amount of space in the rear seat, the good ride quality and even the rear charging socket makes it a great family car for long trips, but it warrants better bolstered seats and a rear arm rest to make it just about perfect. Don't you think so?

Last edited:

What mileage you are getting?

Thread Starter #9

Congratulations for the Baleno, nkonamme. Hope you enjoy lots and lots of miles with smiles in your car. Yes the seatback much be replace-able but I doubt it would be easy to fit in some other car's seatback or modify the existing one. Let it be and enjoy the car. Did you find it too uncomfortable? How does it compare with Dzire's backrest?

How is drivability in traffic? Does the A Pillar block view too much? Also how is overall visibility once seated in the cabin? How was the dealership experience from NEXA? Was it leagues apart from you'd have experienced while buying your SX4 from normal dealership?

And regarding the alloy wheel confusion, both the Zeta and Alpha get 16" alloy wheels. Its a different thing that the alloy wheels look no better than basic wheel covers.
I have only sat in drivers seat till now.I can tell the comfort of rear when I go for long drive with passengers.Sx4 had blind spot due to right A pillar,no such issues in baleno.Not much difference with Nexa and maruti experience.Nexa gave a box of Ferrero rocher and 10 litres of petrol.
I never liked petrol engines due to poor low end torque and frequent gearshifts.But baleno is really good at low end torque.Drivability is pretty good.

@EDDY MID shows 17.5 kmpl for previous 110 kms ride

Congrats.. Looks quite elegant in this color. I wasn't aware Zeta also gets 16 inch wheels. That's a refreshing info. Now only if those projectors can be installed somehow. Sure it can be done outside bit then warranty goes for the toss.
Anyways, very good mileage till now for a petrol engine. Have fun!

Thread Starter #11
Congrats.. Looks quite elegant in this color. I wasn't aware Zeta also gets 16 inch wheels. That's a refreshing info. Now only if those projectors can be installed somehow. Sure it can be done outside bit then warranty goes for the toss.
Anyways, very good mileage till now for a petrol engine. Have fun!
Thanks buddy!! Silver in baleno and s cross is called premium silver which is different from silky silver offered in other maruti cars.It looks like greyish silver and classy.

Thread Starter #12
Posting few pics which I clicked at night.
Pics 1-3:MID and interior illumination
Pic 4:Welcome lamps situated under front door
Pic 5 & 6: Low beam & high beam

Attachments

How is the riding position? Are you able to adjust to an ideal position with great front visibility and a proper sense of proportion of the car? That is, knowing the exact boundaries of the car, where it ends.? Also it being a very wide car, how is it in traffic and small roads?

Congratulations Buddy.

The Baleno surely looks a winner and it is likely to take away crown from Hyundai's i20.

Maruti finally have a car in premium segment with all the ingredients. Looks like the Baleno might repeat the Swift Story.

This color looks terrific and I always hated silvers & whites for being sober but in this color it looks mean.

I hope the famous rattles won't come up until you sell the car. Few question I have for you,

1. How is the drive feel, is it any different compared to Swift ?
2. How is the entry/exit of rear seats ?
3. How are Front Seats ? Are they as good as Swifts ?
4. Do you feel the potholes, bumps filter to the cabin (both in terms of sound/ moment)
5. What is the biggest thing Baleno has impressed you ?

bhvm

Honoured Member
congratulations on the. first baleno on tai!!
can you explain more about MID modes? I heard there's a torque chart as well.

Top Bottom