Finally I Bought a Car, Nope its an SUV, the 'New Generation Mahindra Scorpio S10'

Thread Starter #1
You must read my introduction to complete this reading (no, I am not driving traffic to my introduction page!)

As promised, a few glimpses of my life experiences. To start with, why the hell did I buy such large a vehicle (rather a boat, just kidding), being my first car.

In fact I used to loathe people who went in those large vehicles (for that matter, any car) with only one/two occupant(s). Since I have given so much (scoldings), time to be in the receiving end, I guess. Guilty, as charged.

Long before buying decisions, I (who, me?) had already decided on Mahindra Scorpio. I was sold long ago (when the 'walk into a car' ad came). But I (rational, 40+ years old me) had to look for reasons for justifying the decision (to myself, then others).

So the story began with researching information, reading reviews, watching countless videos on YouTube and visiting / reading (only!) in forums. Most difficult was watching YouTube car reviews. They tell so many things in just 8-10 mins. I had to pause, understand one sentence, pause again & repeat this in cycles. FYI, I have by-hearted almost all reviews of Mahindra Scorpio in YouTube.

Learnt a few punch statements such as 'it tends to grow on you', 'pedal to the metal', 'ruling the roost for a long time'. I found Renuka Kirpalani's review very useful, very direct & to the point. I also found Ashish Masih's 'classic headroom, knee room test' funny. He does this on all car reviews, very diligently. Whether I remember my daughter's height or not, I will remember his height, 5' 10".

I had collected all information about Scorpio, XUV 5OO, Terrano, Duster, Ecosport and Ertiga. Started in Jun 2015. This phase ended in mid-Sept. Please do note that I wasn't considering any new launches.

Remember (from introduction. Yes, I indeed wanted to check if you have read my intro thread!) that I am still a rookie driver, just got my license 2 months ago. Hence test drives were very limited (except for Scorpio). What was I doing test drives for? I am just collecting information to justify myself! That is me, many contradictions & getting too deeply involved. By the by, excepting Ford / Mahindra, none of the sales guys ever called me back. So not much hard feelings, except for the Ford lady.

Stop, stop, stop. This is supposed to be an ownership review. CS, please get back on track. But, allow me for just one pit stop.

This happened to me when I was test driving Scorpio (of all vehicles).

I open the door. Insert the keys. Press the clutch pedal, change to neutral. Hold the brakes. Press the clutch pedal + ignition. Engine starts. Press clutch pedal again + first gear. Slowly release the clutch pedal + slow accelerator. Jerk. Engine stops.

One more time the same routine. Press the clutch pedal + ignition. Engine starts. Press clutch pedal again + first gear. Slowly release the clutch pedal + slow accelerator. Jerk. Engine stops.

Now again, again, and again. About 10 times. By this time, I was frantically explaining that I was a new driver, etc. And the sales guy (got out of the car, seeing the hungama) went to bring in another sales guy (who knew driving!). The other sales guy entered in the 2nd row. And I turned back to greet him.

Oh, damn! The handbrake is ON. I burst out laughing & at the exact moment, he (the new sales guy) also said 'Sir, release the handbrake'!

The question of choice of Scorpio wasn't too difficult to justify. All I had to do was to come up some explanation which was logical. And that's it. And being in IT field, you are so used to determining patterns. With the new launches of Creta, S Cross and other options such as Xylo, Innova, Safari Storme, Lodgy, all I had to do was to come up with a divide & rule strategy. Like the British, so cleverly did capture the whole country.

First category was seating options. 7/8 seater is a must (Am I a taxi or what!). This rules out Ecosport, Terrano, Duster, S Cross, Creta. In any case, even in my original list, the Creta / S Cross were not there. By the by, I had trouble differentiating i20 (new one, is it Active?) & Creta when viewed from the back. I had to look at the labels to see which car it was.

Second category was Bold appeal / Road presence (I do like it). This ruled out Ertiga, Xylo, Innova, and Lodgy.

Third category was money. Not more than 15L (it was slightly higher though). This ruled out XUV (W10 especially, 19L++, others were not in contention) & Safari Storme (OTR was 16.5L++). You have to make an exception somewhere for Scorpio. All said & done, I do envy the Safari Storme owners. A very very proud bunch.

Excellent, now I have shortlisted a car. Wow, finally. Hurray. I had compared only top-end models (or did I?). So naturally it was S10.

After all hard work done, then I watched this movie 'Moneyball', when I was flipping channels. These sequences of dialogues made me wonder what I was doing (Ah man!).

Very impressive dialogues (although a completely different context).

"Billy Beane: I don’t think we’re asking the right question. I think the question we should be asking is, do you believe in this thing or not?
Peter Brand: I do.
Billy Beane: It’s a problem you think we need to explain ourselves. Don’t. To anyone.
Peter Brand: Okay. "

No, definitely, no. I am not going delete the post I had just written. It took me time & countless revisions, man.

CS, please get back on track. This is in the edge of acceptance of ownership reviews. OKAY, moving on.

Now, to the dealership experience.

During the period of Jun - Sept 2015, I had developed contacts with 3-4 guys in Anant Cars, Mysore Road, Bangalore. A bit enthusiastic guys. Very young, impulsive, energetic bunch.

Test drives were arranged in a jiffy. Quotes given in a jiffy. Accessories cost took them 2 weeks to finalise. They pulled all strings to show seat cover designs, materials, reverse cam, speakers, etc. They gave me all costs in the 1st week of Sept. I took about 3-4 weeks to finally decide to jump in (waiting for license. Why? It is another life experience worth sharing, may be another thread).

I booked the vehicle on 23rd Sept. I had submitted all documents on 23rd Sept morning (along with advance). Remember that the next 2-3 days were part of long weekends.

But on 28th Sept itself (actually, Monday, the next working day), my loan was sanctioned & all paperwork done (SBI). Lightning fast. Who was complaining about nationalized banks?

I was also informed that for my special number request (license plate) I needed to give a DD to them. That was also arranged on 28th Sept. So all formalities of booking done.

There were 5 guys (in all) whom I had to interact with. 1st one for car & quotes. 2nd for test drives. 3rd for loan. 4th for accessories. 5th for going to stockyard (to choose the colour). All of them, very eager to help. And forget about you once you are out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind (except for the team lead though).

Interestingly, in the forums, there is no statistics on the amount of time spent / calls made during the purchase of the car. Here it is.

25th Jun - 26th Oct: 32 calls (each between 30 sec - 10 min), total talk time of about 120 mins
25th Jun - 26th Oct: 7 visits (each spanning between 30 min - 2 hrs), total time spent of about 12 hrs

I was overseas when the sales guy called me. He told me that the vehicle is manufactured. It is being dispatched. It will take 4-5 days for the car to come to the stockyard. And that since Pooja holidays are coming, he asked whether I could take the delivery on 21st Oct. Due to my travel restrictions, I couldn't.

In the meanwhile, I had asked for the VIN No & got it the next day. When I did the calculations, I was in for a shock. It was a Jun 15 manufactured vehicle. Thanks to Akash, it was indeed an Oct 15 manufactured vehicle. My bad (too much tension / excitement!)

So the PDI was planned for 26th Oct. Delivery on 27th Oct. Did it happen?

Now, the Pre Delivery Inspection / Delivery

I had taken a detailed list (along with the TAI's PDI-ALL.xls). Took about 1.5 hrs for me to do the full inspection. Sun was beating down like hell on that day morning. The sales guy told me, if the accessories were to be fitted later (or never?), he can arrange for the delivery that evening itself.

I took the delivery on 26th Oct evening. 27th Oct being Valmiki Jayanthi (school holiday) & planned for a long drive in Mysore Road to test myself / the car with family.

PDI ODO: 6.2 kms
Delivery ODO: 24.3 kms
Free diesel: Rs 500 worth
Free accessories: Mats, Ganesha Idol (to be replaced by rain wisers, an atheist).
Other discounts given: 18K standard discount, 4K discount on handling charges, reduced insurance cost (comp off with their commission, I suppose).
Gift given (I gave): 5 coffee cups (gift wrapped), Grey Goose 1 liter (especially for the team lead, wonderful fellow)

Overall experience: 8 out of 10. They could have been easily at 9, but for the accessories goof-up.

A few photos from the PDI for your feasting!

Stay tuned for my initial impressions.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: Finally I bought a car, nope its an SUV, the 'New Generation Mahindra Scorpio S10

Now, the Initial impressions

I did a long drive of 250kms (2 way, Bangalore to Srirangapatna & back). Another long drive of 110kms (2 way, RM Nagar to Kolar & back). Did a few shorter drives in & around Bangalore. Have taken the hulk to all kinds of small alleys as well.

Delivery ODO: 24.3 kms
Current ODO: 702 kms (~8 days)

Here are the summary observations. This is a serious section (so no side topics! and a bit boring too).

Ride & handling. Amazing. Nothing unsettles the vehicle. Big pot holes, small pot holes, uneven roads, unlaid roads, slanted roads, single big speedbreakers, small series speedbreakers, broken speedbreakers. You can do the round-abouts (plenty in Bangalore) @ 60-70kmph & you can feel the planted-ness. Haven't tested it beyond 100kmph though. During the run-in period, 4th gear is more than enough for highway rides. 5th gear will offer much smoother ride / acceleration past 70-80kmph.

Braking: In city / highway conditions & normal braking scenarios, good enough brakes. Have not tested its fullest of capabilities yet (especially emergency braking). Hopefully, never.

Comfort: The front 2 seats offer excellent arm, back support. Once I had to drive continuously between 230pm - 730pm continuously in city driving conditions (lots of stop & go traffic). Was not tired at all. Excellent cushioning. Very less gear shifting required. You can be in 2nd gear, just lift the clutch (with no A pedal input) and the vehicle moves. I had opted for 2+3+3 seats. The 2nd row is 60:40 split & sliding. 2 stage folding action (nothing like the Honda Mobilio). Seat squabs are long & pretty comfortable. Good back support. The arm rest (in the middle) is a joke though. But it doesn't intrude the comfort of the middle passenger on the 2nd row.

Small children have the risk of falling / rolling down (during braking). 3rd row is comfortable for shorter adults (even on longer rides). There were 2 adults (5' 3" & similar) on the 3rd row for one of the long drives. Knees do not hit the 2nd row seats (you have to bring the 2nd row seats, a little forward). Only time will tell the comfort on much longer drives for the 3rd row.

By the by, for a driver like me (5' 11"), my knee does hit the dash (under side) when I get in (even in the highest tilt position of the steering).

Seat Fabrics: The 2-tone colouring looks really good. It is a maintenance nightmare. So I am planning to change it to leatherette seat covers.

Engine: If you have the music on, A/c on, except for the minimal hum, you can't hear much. As agreed by the entire industry, one of the best engines all around.

NVH: One of the 3M guys drove an XUV (W8 variant) and S10 (mine) back-to-back (when he was moving vehicles for washing), he came back & said that the noise levels were pretty low compared to XUV. I had a wry smile. I wasn't so sure. We had been to the stockyard in a test-drive XUV. Amazing levels of NVH reduction there. But please do note that when switching off / on, the entire vehicle will shake itself (as if a wet dog coming out of a pond, shaking!). And the gear stick too. It will look like an old Ashok Leyland lorry for a moment or so. But once you are idling, this shaking goes off. No shaking during gear changes.

Gear/Transmission: Not one of the smoothest around. But does the job well for you. You should get used to the long throws & sometimes (very seldom though) painful slotting, especially in 3rd / 5th gears.

Steering: Very responsive. Weighs well at higher speeds & light in slower speeds. At its highest tilt position (seat adjusted for my comfort), I have to raise my neck to see (a little bit) full dashboard though. The steering will shudder, giving direct inputs from the wheels, very vital inputs for a driver.

ORVMs: I use only left & right ORVMs for parking / unparking (is there a single word to denote the meaning?!). I have a parking lot that is too inside (although not fully covered) & after a narrow walkway of around 30mts. The gates can barely allow the vehicle inside (about 1/2 ft on both sides). The mirrors are big & easily adjustable. Although the knob feels a little plasticky, it gets the job done. But it looks like the knob might not last long. In any case, who adjusts them every day anyway? You do miss the auto-folding mirrors though. And it doesn't fold fully. Someone have already clipped by right mirror (I can see a patch of red paint!). I park on the road side in the day.

ACC: Works beautifully for the first 2 rows. 3rd row doesn't get much A/c at all. I have already ordered the roof mounted blower. A few parts still not arrived & awaiting fixing.

Headlamps/Wipers: Auto features works well too. The wipers adjust speed. Another task taken away from the driver! Auto headlamps will turn only low-beam ON. You have to choose to have the high-beam ON.

Cornering lamps: Besides the mind-blowing 'static bending technology' (what a cliche!), it works fine. You need to experience it to appreciate it. Drive a vehicle without cornering lamps & with cornering lamps back-to-back. You immediately notice the big relief when you turn such large vehicles.

Navigation: Very precise. It has every street map (including very small alleys) of Bangalore. I have to test it elsewhere to fully appreciate it. I purposefully went somewhere else other than the route; it re-adjusts the route & gives very prompt, useful directions. And it does so everytime you don't follow the route. Excellent device, except for the glare. Pretty silly though for some designer not to have thought off.

Practicality: Probably one of the worst designed vehicles. The designers have completely ignored the fact that people need to keep water bottles, knick-knacks, phones, wallets, etc. Forget about idols, tissue box, air fresheners, etc. Place for keeping coins / small change / toll receipts, your damn pockets.

Front 2 seats: Zero practicality. No usable space to keep any damn thing.
2nd row seats: You have cubby holes for phone on both doors / 2nd row vent. Your 5.5 inch phone won't go in. Bottle holders can only fit smaller dimension bottles.
3rd row seats: Zero practicality. No place to keep anything.

Speakers: Basic range of frequencies / basic volume looked to be fine. But if you are someone who listens to 12-track (or more) recorded songs, then it is better to switch it off. It will still play all the mp3s you need (& FM radio and Aux, etc.). No major worries for me.

Doors: Excepting the rear door (5th), all doors close with a good thud. Reassuring. The 5th door closes very softly. I almost always close it 2-3 times.

Mileage: Have been oscillating between 12 - 16 kmpl (from info panel). 99% A/c on. 350kms on Highways. 350kms in City. Have done filling 2 times. I need to calculate it after a while.

Issues: There are a few that have me interested. Yet to confirm them. They do not seem to appear consistently. Since I have not owned any other car, not sure if they are actually issues. Will keep observing them for a few months.

Accessories ordered, but not fitted yet are reverse camera & roof mounted blower. Waiting for the dealer to give me a date!

Overall, very impressed. Most importantly both man & machine are in sync with expectations. Hope to have many many safe miles in. And hope to share a lot of them here.

I will be very happy to answer any questions you may have (sporadic though!).

A few more photos as well. First photo was at the showroom during delivery (I don't want you to know which vehicle that I had taken delivery!!). Second photo was at Vaishali on Bangalore-Mysore Highway.

Attachments

let me be the first one to congratulate you on your acquisition. In fact, my younger brother bought a s10 automatic three days ago. And my brother in law is a scorpio loyalist too. Its a powerful all terrain vehicle that will take you places. just need some care and pampering (dont we all do? :)) and it will serve you well for years after years. wish you a million safe miles bro.

Re: Finally I bought a car, nope its an SUV, the 'New Generation Mahindra Scorpio S10

@Casual Surfer:
Those are the pictures I have been waiting for and looking at the owner smiling at the time of delivery has enlightened me too. Ehh, just a week or two back we were discussing how to drive a Scorpio [:)]
BTW your mustache is like that of south Indian movie villains. It will suit the Scorpio quite well.

Many many congrats sirji and wishing you many many happy miles. BTW that introductory post is simply awesome and I have read it twice. In fact it has made me recall my first drive impressions of the new Scorpio, they were quite similar to what you have observed (after that I became habitual).

• The vehicle will always vibrate at engine start and engine off.
  • The engine will always feel smoothest while doing 70-80 kph in fifth gear (at 100 it starts becoming vocal)
  • The FE will be 10-13 in city and 15-16 on highways
  • The body roll is there and I recommend you to bring down your driving speeds at turn arounds. 40-50 max it should be.
  • Gear lever vibration is not exclusive with Scorpio. You can relax as nearly every RWD SUV/MUV has this trait and this is for a valid reason.
  • NVH is better than the XUV and that's majorly because the engine is bolted to the ladder frame unlike the monocoque UV's like XUV.
  • The vehicle takes bad roads with ease but don't go over enthusiastic as the bigger potholes do get the Scorpio unsettled at speeds.
  • Show it an incline and you will love making it pull pull and pull even harder.
  • Bad roads are taken with ease but always take care while traversing such stretches and never be too slow or too fast or you will injure your rear passengers with their heads hitting around.

Its the uneven surface where the Scorpio shines and the owner laughs all the way to smooth surface taking glimpse of other vehicles moving at snail pace. I frequently used to do three digit speeds to my site in the Scorpio and there was a notorious Swift guy (he had nearly same time of passing through the same stretch and used to meet us twice a week at least) who always tried to race against us (yaa, we used to be the fastest on that smooth stretch of dual carriageway[:D]), used to allow him to overtake so that nothing dangerous happens and then start following him with a wicked smile awaiting the bad stretch to come [evil] Once the bad stretch is arrived, he was eating our dust and we slingshot ahead of every single vehicle. I was actually taken aback by how rugged and well bolted together were the suspension and drive train components which simply never gave up.

All in all, the mighty muscular Scorpio has got mighty impressive too.

Last edited:

First, Congratulations! Second, dude, that was some crazy, funny, yet informative review. I enjoyed the review and had few chuckles while reading. Keep up the good work!

Hi,
Congratulations on your New Mahindra Scorpio. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.

Thread Starter #7

Hi,
Congratulations on your New Mahindra Scorpio. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Thanks, Ambylovers.

First, Congratulations! Second, dude, that was some crazy, funny, yet informative review. I enjoyed the review and had few chuckles while reading. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, furious_driver. I had the same chuckles while writing the same. Glad you liked it.

@Casual Surfer:
Those are the pictures I have been waiting for and looking at the owner smiling at the time of delivery has enlightened me too. Ehh, just a week or two back we were discussing how to drive a Scorpio [:)]
BTW your mustache is like that of south Indian movie villains. It will suit the Scorpio quite well.
All in all, the mighty muscular Scorpio has got mighty impressive too.
Thanks, TSIVipul. Already planning a 1500kms trip! Hope it materialises soon. I do wonder myself the speed of my graduation from a rookie driver to a proper one!

let me be the first one to congratulate you on your acquisition. In fact, my younger brother bought a s10 automatic three days ago. And my brother in law is a scorpio loyalist too. Its a powerful all terrain vehicle that will take you places. just need some care and pampering (dont we all do? :)) and it will serve you well for years after years. wish you a million safe miles bro.
Thanks, Storme_on_d_way. Awesome name. The first pampering costed a small bomb (Nomad mats) @ 13.7K! Wondering whether the 20K package from 3M is worth it.

Congratulations Anna... Wish you many happy miles ahead. you sure have some writing skills that made me jump on my chair at times and people around me wondering what went wrong [lol]. yes as TSI Vipul Said you have the mustache like of Surya in some tamil Movie suits you as well as it logical with the kind of vehicle you have. Looking for more pics though. BTW you havent mentioned why you chose this color in Scorpio.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

Congratulations Anna... Wish you many happy miles ahead. you sure have some writing skills that made me jump on my chair at times and people around me wondering what went wrong [lol]. yes as TSI Vipul Said you have the mustache like of Surya in some tamil Movie suits you as well as it logical with the kind of vehicle you have. Looking for more pics though. BTW you havent mentioned why you chose this color in Scorpio.
Thanks, incarnation. Since the mustache topic came in twice, let me answer it. Yep, mimicking Surya in Singham. The style does change every 6 months or so. But this one has struck close to 9 months now! But this is also high maintenance stuff, let me warn you.

I really wanted to take a good place for a photo shoot. Let me squeeze in time somewhere.

The colour choice was by the home minister (not so much home!, working wife). White was rejected as politician's. Black was rejected by me, for high maintenance. Out of the other colours (Red / Blue / Silver), Silver appealed most to wife / children. I would have chosen white / red. Red was really looking nice.

Congrats on your new buy! Hope you will have a great time with the new vehicle.
Also pour in some more pics when you have time.

Thanks, incarnation. Since the mustache topic came in twice, let me answer it. Yep, mimicking Surya in Singham. The style does change every 6 months or so. But this one has struck close to 9 months now! But this is also high maintenance stuff, let me warn you.

I really wanted to take a good place for a photo shoot. Let me squeeze in time somewhere.

The color choice was by the home minister (not so much home!, working wife). White was rejected as politician's. Black was rejected by me, for high maintenance. Out of the other colors (Red / Blue / Silver), Silver appealed most to wife / children. I would have chosen white / red. Red was really looking nice.
Normally these days home ministers are never Home. Regarding maintenance of the Mush I know i used to maintain but one fine day the maintenance cost was realized as too high hence it was given away to the barber.

personally for me Scorpio looks cool in white, red and black also rocky beach rest colors doesn't suit the mammoth. however silver looks OK though.

The style does change every 6 months or so. But this one has struck close to 9 months now! But this is also high maintenance stuff, let me warn you.
6 months or even 9 months are nothing for a man who can spend 16 years in a single IT company! [;)]

Get Leh'd in May 2016. Till then hone your driving skills on hills, plains and all sort of roads. Think and do big sirji when you have bought a big vehicle as your first car itself.

The colour choice was by the home minister (not so much home!, working wife). White was rejected as politician's. Black was rejected by me, for high maintenance. Out of the other colours (Red / Blue / Silver), Silver appealed most to wife / children. I would have chosen white / red. Red was really looking nice.
Red Scorpio looks awesome, I love the way blue looks by the way but it's a heavy maintenance color and it looks good only till the time it's shining to glory. Rest "bhai scaarpio toh safed hi badhiya hai (Scaarpio looks good in white for most of the time)"

Normally these days home ministers are never Home. Regarding maintenance of the Mush I know i used to maintain but one fine day the maintenance cost was realized as too high hence it was given away to the barber.
At least you guys have bothered the maintenance, I visit barber once in two months maybe only after everyone starts calling me 'aashiq'!
BTW I am yet to learn shaving [embarass]

personally for me Scorpio looks cool in white, red and black also rocky beach rest colors doesn't suit the mammoth. however silver looks OK though.
Red Scorpio with black alloys looks killer.

Thread Starter #14

6 months or even 9 months are nothing for a man who can spend 16 years in a single IT company! [;)]

Get Leh'd in May 2016. Till then hone your driving skills on hills, plains and all sort of roads. Think and do big sirji when you have bought a big vehicle as your first car itself.
Thanks for the kind words, TSIVipul. Leh'ing is going to be difficult. It looks like a Himalayan (literally & otherwise!) trip to me. ~7000+ kms trip. I will never get leaves / permissions. After hearing all the hungama about local outbursts on visitors/tourists, I would not want to take any risks anyway.

Thread Starter #15
Re: Finally I Bought a Car, Nope its an SUV, the 'New Generation Mahindra Scorpio S10

A quick update.

1000kms done. The car is pulling to the left a little. Need to get it checked out. Otherwise, no other issues noted.

Cruise control works beautifully.

3 full tanks done. Mileage on the console shows 13.1kmpl. But when I calculate, the mileage is around ~10.5kmpl (~90l diesel lasted for 980kms). 370kms in Highways & rest in City (Bangalore). About 150kms in bumper-to-bumper traffic (just in 1st gear, half-clutch only).

Should I change oils (engine & related transmissions), just as a precautionary measure (sounds stupid after reading the way they work though!)? I know I revved the engine past 2500rpms (at least 10-15 times in the last 2-3 weeks), but never more than 3000rpms.

A small incident comes to my mind. Once I was in a stop-go traffic. It was very cold outside. I had just the blower on (no a/c). I thought I was in gear & revved it a bit. Suddenly realizing no movement, then I had changed gears & moved on. After a few minutes I could see that the window just above the engine were being blurry. I thought I had done something stupid & started to worry. Only to realize later that the entire window had been covered in mist & it started from the lower portion of the window (ah!).

Top Bottom