My Grey Beauty: Hyundai i20 CRDi Sportz Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
My Grey Beauty: Hyundai i20 CRDi Sportz -60,000 kms/ 2years of Ownership

Hi Guys,
This is my first thread and ownership report of my first car. !
Pardon me for anything against forum rules and all comments mentioned are based on my personal opinion only and not to hurt anyone's feelings.
I started to look for car (First Car) but I know driving. Search started for hatchback with budget around 7.5 lakhs.
It took nearly 1 month for us to decide on

Main Criteria:
-Hatchback(Strictly no to compact sedan )
-Powerful engine for Highway driving with 4/5 people on board mostly every week
-ABS
-Good leg and rear space since rear seats would be occupied for most of the trips
-Good NVH level
-Lesser Maintenance/Hassle Free service. No running in/out of service centers often
-Good looking exterior and interior with basic features
-Good Boot space (since more luggage at end of week)
-Not concerned about mileage, but Diesel engine since I would be doing at least 2500-3000 KM/month

I test drove Ford Figo, Fiat Punto, Hyundai Xcent, Honda Amaze, Maruti Swift , VW Polo, Liva ,i20
but I didn't like these cars either due to cramped leg/rear space or engine was sounding like tractor or engine felt powerless

So I preferred the hot hatch with engine of diesel i20(for power and least NVH level) and steering as in punto, stability as in VW polo, suspension as in Swift. [lol]

So went ahead and Test drove i20 again since I loved the engine:
Good service. Everyone was like why spend so much(quoted for 8.1 lakhs) for hatchback better to go for Compact sedans!
I just asked sales guy to give brochure and we had brochure of other test driven cars with us, just showed them the specification particularly of size and they couldn't believe it ! It was bigger in length and width compared to compact sedans like Swift dzire/Xcent/Amaze!

Then my parents accepted for test drive. I was busy with analyzing the variants with specifications and features.
By the time , everyone was inside the car for test drive. Music (FM was on) with little louder. And my father told me to switch off the radio (I was in driver seat)and he asked the sales guy who was in passenger seat that he asked for diesel vehicle and you have got us petrol vehicle.
And the guy and turned back with smile and told that this is Diesel car. We couldn't believe the refinement it had!

Decide during TD itself to choose Sportz variant (grey color which my wife liked) which comes to 8 lakhs. We booked the car immediately and chose loan from SBI which was hassle free(didn't expect from public sector bank)

With ownership of i20 in 19 months , I have driven extensively and clocked 53000+(approx) kms on odo, I am a very happy and proud customer

+ve:
-Love the engine. Silent yet powerful! , always wanted to hit the floor .With 53000 Kms+ on odo , the engine still feels butter smooth
-Dead pedal, highly useful for me since my 75% driving would be in highways
-Interiors feel premium. Fit and finish of design is top notch even which several lakhs sedan failed to provide
-NVH level extremely good, very silent engine diesel compared to all other previous test driven cars.
-Quality of materials are so good that I have not complained of even a single rattle
-Seat belts Pretensioner are so good that even catch you from falling on hard breaking
-Seats are so comfortable, even I did a continuous 800+(Goa and Mumbai) km drive twice but didn't had any complaints.
-Spacious leg room and spacious cabin
-Gear shifting is as PS3 controller
-Large Glove box with cooling. It would be been great if they provided 2 glove box similar to Jazz
-Boot space is quite large, for the car in this segment (except for Jazz)
-Hassle free service (spent just Rs 6000(approx) totally for first 3 services including change in oil and oil filter)
-4 discs with 4 channel ABS and EBD. Once I have to break hard from 140km in a turn after spotting a breakdown truck in fast lane but car did not give up and stopped even before the distance I guessed.
I always feel ABS kicking in much earlier with little force on brake than I expected, not sure if this the behavior
-CRDI engine didn't strain for loss of power like the MJDs. I was able to cross 150 Km easily and was able to reach 180 kmph in NH4
-Light in boot
-Lots for cup/mobile holders (near the gear)
-Fog lights are powerful enough since most of the time in b2b traffic. I am using only fog lights rather than headlights
-Leather wrapped steering wheels provides grip(necessary for light steering) with reachable Bluetooth and audio controls
-There is only minimal body rolling, I was able to do cornering at speed of 80-90kmph.
-Sixth gear, no need to lower the gear for mere overtaking , just a press of pedal little more did a brilliance, leaves the vehicles in IRVM
-6 Speakers with AUX and USB cable
-Lot of features , some important to mention such as Electric Folding ORVM, Reverse parking sensor with ECM Camera, dead pedal, light steering which is boon to traffic(Bangalore b2b traffic), steering integrated with Bluetooth control , auto wiper
-No single ratting so far

-ve:
-Turbo Lag! But got adopted to it.
-Light steering does not give feedback at high speeds. I did not find the steering totally disconnected from the car but yes it is so sensitive in the cruising speeds too.
Rather to say, car is well under the control always between 100-120 kmph speeds
-no alloy for spare wheel
-no auto locking (sometimes I may forget to lock while driving) for Sportz variant
-Spare key is not a remote key(again for Sportz Variant)
-suspension is so soft , thuds in city road, absolutely no pain on highways
-No height adjustment(in Sportz) , And I feel as if I am sitting on Floor But still good lumbar and thigh support with good leg space
-Only front doors have space for Water bottle that too have to squeeze it I guess.
-Stock headlights are not that powerful.
-Stock horns are too bad
-No rear wiper(available only in Asta)
-Low ground clearance , not suitable for Bangalore bumps
-AC was not powerful (for rear seats)
-NO DTE, Real time Mileage indicator ( I never thought how Hyundai can ignore this but I am least bothered about mileage)
-Feeling like car tending to dance on big potholes at speeds (greater 30-40 kmph)
-Rear speakers are not that great. Just half the sound of Front speakers.

Freebies Offered:
-Some cash offer (Rs 5000 Less)
-Free Insurance. Always wanted to buy outside but they were not ready on free insurance that is bought outside. So have to choose.
(Didn't get 3rd and 4th extended warranty, thought of getting next year)
-Free Floor mat from below pedal till boot (fully covered)
-Free rubber mats
-Free anti-rust coating

Service Details so far:
1st Service at 1500 Km (done on 6th day of buying the vehicle):
-Total Rs 20 (Addition Windshield washer liquid)

2nd Service (10000 KM)(done on 3rd month of buying vehicle)
-Total Rs 3220 (change of Engine Oil and Oil Filters) and Wheel Alignment/Wheel Balancing

3rd Service (20000 KM)(done on 6th month):
-Total Rs 3605 (change of Engine Oil ,air filter, Oil Filters) and Wheel Alignment/Wheel Balancing, A/C Disinfectant

4th Service (30000 km) on 8th month (30000 km)
-Bill came around Rs 8000 including A/C disinfection/Wheel Balancing/Rotation/Alignment/Sensor for water detection in Diesel

5th service (40000 km) on 14th month (40000 km)
- Bill was around Rs 6600+ Rs
-Engine is butter smooth with no single rattling

6th service (50000 km) on 18th month (50000 km)
-Bill was around Rs 7600+

I am constantly getting mileage of 12-14 kmph in City traffic and 20-22 kmpl in Highway with A/C around 22-23 degree C. (Checked with tankful method)

Certain things I make sure to follow in day to day life:
1. Warming up the engine for a minute in morning cold start(that too in Bangalore)
2. Driving in less than 1900-2000 RPM till engine reaches optimum temperature
3. Once optimum temperature is reached, then shifting gears in range 2200-2500 rpm so that turbo kicks in continuously after gear change.
4. Switch off engine only after 3 minutes idling after highway driving and after 1 minute after city driving. During this time, I switch off AC compressor and raise the temperature with full blow speed so that vents are dry, I don't get foul smell next time I switch on AC
5. Cross the redline in 2nd or 3rd gears once in a week so that sooth gets out of exhaust.
6. Changing Engine oil once in 5000 km even though change is recommended at 10000 km
7. Changing oil filter/diesel filter/Pollen Filter

Trips Made so Far;
-Bangalore-Chennai (more than 20 times)
-Bangalore-Goa(off-season time)
-Bangalore-Mumbai-Pune
-Bangalore-Munnar-Thekady
-Bangalore-Chimakalur
-Bangalore-Coorg
-Bangalore-Kodaikanal(near my native)
-Bangalore-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari
-Bangalore-Ooty
-Bangalore-Native (Once in 20 days atleast)

Will soon upload Pics!
I love my i20 and extremely happy driving each and every day.. [drive]
So far completed 53000+ kms in 19 months. Still engine is butter smooth and no single rattle.
Still running on Stock Clutch/Stock bulbs/Stock wipers/Stock tires/Stock battery/Stock brake pads [clap].

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: My Grey Beauty-i20 CRDI Sportz: Ownership Report

That's are very good writeup and the service costs too will help every potential buyers. And which tyre brand does your i20 have ? 53k kms is above a good distance that you covered. But do ask any tyre shop when they would need a replacement.

Thread Starter #3

That's are very good writeup and the service costs too will help every potential buyers.
Thank you.[:)]

And which tyre brand does your i20 have ? 53k kms is above a good distance that you covered. But do ask any tyre shop when they would need a replacement.
My i20 came with Apollo Acelere tyres.
Last month when i gave for wheel alignment and balancing, they told tire is good for another 10000 kms. But I wont take risk . If I feel that there is considerable decrease in grip or braking performance , I would go ahead for changing. This time planning to get Michelin XM2. (upgrade from 185/65 R14 94H to 195/60/R14- 86H). [thumbswink]

Hi,
Congratulations on your Hyundai i20. wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
53000+ kms in 19 months is a very good marathon drive. Hope you are enjoying each minute of it going forward.

Thread Starter #5

Congratulations on your Hyundai i20. wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
53000+ kms in 19 months is a very good marathon drive. Hope you are enjoying each minute of it going forward.
Thank you. Yes, I am really enjoying my drive with my i20.

Thread Starter #6
Completed my 7th service (or 60,000 kms) in december in 21 months of ownership. [clap]

60000.jpg

This time service bill came about Rs 11472. This include Front and Rear Brake pads replacement.
It was good to go for another 4000 kms but I prefered to get it changed.
Apart from this, major items include Air Filter, Diesel Filter, Oil filter, Coolant change, Transmission oil replace.
Wheel balancing/alignment not done.
Strict "NO" to engine decarbonization/engline flusing/oil flushing/AC disinfectant.

Other positive of i20:
Clutch : running Stock (no signs of wear and tear)
Brake pads: replaced (1st set lasted for 60,000 kms)
Tires: good for another 10,000 kms(total 60,000 kms covered on stock Acelere)
Bulbs: Stock ones
Wiper: Stock ones

Hyundai's Reliability is too good. Not even single rattle anywhere in car in 60,000/2 years of ownership .
Considered trips for this quarter :
Bangalore - Munnar-Cochin-Bangalore
Bangalore-Gokarna-Bangalore
Bangalore-wayanad-Coorg-bangalore

Last edited:
Completed my 7th service (or 60,000 kms) in december in 21 months of ownership. [clap]

View attachment 193702

This time service bill came about Rs 11472. This include Front and Rear Brake pads replacement.
It was good to go for another 4000 kms but I prefered to get it changed.
Apart from this, major items include Air Filter, Diesel Filter, Oil filter, Coolant change, Transmission oil replace.
Wheel balancing/alignment not done.
Strict "NO" to engine decarbonization/engline flusing/oil flushing/AC disinfectant.

Other positive of i20:
Clutch : running Stock (no signs of wear and tear)
Brake pads: replaced (1st set lasted for 60,000 kms)
Tires: good for another 10,000 kms(total 60,000 kms covered on stock Acelere)
Bulbs: Stock ones
Wiper: Stock ones

Hyundai's Reliability is too good. Not even single rattle anywhere in car in 60,000/2 years of ownership .
Considered trips for this quarter :
Bangalore - Munnar-Cochin-Bangalore
Bangalore-Gokarna-Bangalore
Bangalore-wayanad-Coorg-bangalore
Hi,
Good that your car stock tyres crossing 60000 kms.

Top Bottom