The Story of Nano To Zest

Thread Starter #1
Hello folks, this is a short story of my upgrade to Zest from Nano.
I hope you all know that i owned a 2010 Nano Cx ,Ivory white. I have been using this car since Dec 2010 and drove around 70K Km. In one word! It was an awesome trouble free journey! So after driving for such a heavy odo and spending some five digits on modification/visual enhancement i could see the aging in its mechanics. The last few months were heavy. Actually it started to give some minor troubles when i was planning for a replacement! The evaporator coil fan failed! then after 4 years and 70K km the battery failed! kudos to TATA green battery for such a long life!(Car had a Subwoofer,130/100W headlights,etc).I put the car on OLX, the response was not so good and I dropped the plan of sale!

One morning i got a call from TATA Motors dealer asking my interest in Zest/Bolt. I took a test drive of Zest XMA variant. and was quite impressed with the performance! I'm addicted to Skoda Rapid's (MT&DSG) performance. Zest can be 75% of what Rapid is,except the power drop during shifts.So the TD went smooth and the OTR gave a mild attack. 9.3L for Zest XTA ( Top end AMT). I was like 9L for a TATA?[surprise] and avoiding the calls from tata.

After repeated calls from tata and that irritated movement without any reasons to tell them, I said I will buy zest if I get good deal for nano! The same evening an executive for TML came home to evaluate. I was happy to get a 6 digit figure! Booked Zest the next day! I was said about the waiting period of 15 days - 1 month for sky grey XTA.

Sept 2, i booked the car, dealer got the car by Sept 10. Settlement done and took delivery by Sept 18.

Got Mud flap, Interior mats as freebies.
I couldn't go for the delivery , so asked dad to do the formalities and take it. The very first day of delivery the Head unit (HU) had an issue. Bluetooth couldn't be enabled. The dealers were not sure whether it is a S/W or H/W related. So many factory restore and software updations nothing helped. Special thanks to Vishal Rane (Phoenix Bird) for helping me sorting the issue! The HU was replaced in few hours!
I was very much interested in the Sunroof, which is offered as genuine accessories list and again my dealer have no idea about it! luckily they had the OEM Spoilers in their stock. Painted those to Piano black to give a contrast look.

Drive Handling and NVH
As I said before Zest = 75% Rapid. Zest has a non linear power delivery and turbo lag can be felt at 1500 and below rpms. But thanks to the AMT. It shifts down at the point when you start to think about turbo lag.
Zest it equipped with ABS EBD with corner stability control(CSC). I have not experienced any thing new with CSC though people say it is some % of Electronic Stability Control/Traction control offered in big Europeans.
NVH is even awesome! much much silent than my Rapid. Tyres are Bridgestone BS250, 185/60/R15. offers more grip and less road noise. At above 120+ km/h wind noise can be felt inside cabin.
AMT is very much comfortable for city traffic. but hill hold is badly needed! I'm using left leg to hold brake and right leg to accelerate when starting uphill. Power Lag between shifts can be felt iif driven aggressively. Sports mode shifts at 3500-4000 rpm depending on the throttle response. If we are drivng in manual mode, the gear will upshift at around 4500rpm and downshift below 1500rpm. At downhill it doesn't go to higher gears, mostly stays at 2nd or 3rd.

In Car Entertainment
TATA has collaborated with Harman to make HU for Zest/bolt and future tata products. HU is a decent one .the Top end variant comes with a 5 inch touch screen HU. sound quality is great but bass is little low even at full bass levels, the punch is missing. screen readability under harsh sun is just ok
Zest's HU is capable of playing Videos at 480p resolution(MP4,DIVx andAVI formats) only when the vehicle is stationary.
Navigation features are available but restricted to Android only. One need to have TATA ConnectNext app and Navimaps by MapmyIndia. The app gets upgraded to a Full Version(Pro Guidance) once you connect in the car. Navigation and video playback are available only on the Top End variants and car manufactured in 2015 (after Bolt launch) Android apps have some bugs, sometimes connectnext app doesn't connect to HU or the navimaps get struct at some unknown locations.

Small Yet good
Storage tray under front passenger seats.
Glove box with pen and document holder
Tear wiping function
Power windows and Music system works without key on
Remote for HU
Coolant temperature

Bugs/Niggles
External Temperature sensor shows wrong readings! and the Automatic Climate control works comparing the internal and external temperature readings.
If driven sedately at around 60km. we can feel the clutch engage and disengage. i think the AMT is confused whether to shift down or stay. if we take foot off from accelerator, it will shift down immediately

Accessories added
OEM Spoiler in piano black
Webasto Pop up Sunroof (Hollandia 100)
Piano black finish at lower bumper and OVRMs
Minda Trumpet Horns
Full PVC mat

In one word, TATA Zest is the most Value for money car in its segment!

Goods
Diesel +AMT
Projector headlights with corona rings
DRLs
LED Taillights
Perfect tyres for the car.
Head Unit
Approach lamps
under seat storage
good seats

Bads
Non Electric Boot and fuel tank flap release
No space to store a min 1L bottle.
No Hil hold in AMT.
Odd size bulbs in Fog lamps (H16 19W)

IMG_0528-1.jpg

IMG_0530-1.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_06593.jpg

IMG_06612.jpg

IMG_0318 copy.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

10K Update
25K Update

Last edited:
Hello folks, this is a short story of my upgrade to Zest from Nano.
Let this be the beginning of new saga, may this be the 'best' Zest on the roads just like your Rocking Nano...

The very first day of delivery the Head unit (HU) had an issue. Bluetooth couldn't be enabled. The dealers were not sure whether it is a S/W or H/W related. So many factory restore and software updations nothing helped. Special thanks to Vishal Rane (Phoenix Bird) for helping me sorting the issue! The HU was replaced in few hours!
The Pleasure is mine bro....

Thread Starter #4
Wonderful !!!
Nice write up and delicious pics[:D]
Wish you a million happy miles ahead.

Do post your further ownership reports - Merits and Demerits.
Are you planning any more modifications ,e.g - woofer/HIDS , etc.
woofer nope!
HIDs YES!!

this thread by BHVM is good regarding HID bulbs, ballast and installations.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/22208-4300k-quality-hid-kit-technical-review-install-w-pics.html

BTW the stock projector setup is not bad! can live with it inside city limts
i'm in a confusion whether to go for 35W or 50W HIDs

Congrats Shibu for joining the Zest club. I had taken my Zest delivery on 5th Sep. The pictures look really good.

Well regarding the sunroof installation, could you share some more details? I know that the dealer is taking help from Webasto to do the installation (this is what Mohandas Motors said). Would like to know the following
What was the total price?
Does it have the anti pinch feature?
Any standard warranty offered?

Congrats Sai. Did you purchase it from Kumaran Auto ?

Overall Howz the service in Kumaran ? Earlier in my Manza, it was worse and probably really worse with them. Hope they might have changed now. [:)]

Thread Starter #11
You got this from the dealer right.
How much was it?
Congrats Shibu for joining the Zest club. I had taken my Zest delivery on 5th Sep. The pictures look really good.

Well regarding the sunroof installation, could you share some more details? I know that the dealer is taking help from Webasto to do the installation (this is what Mohandas Motors said). Would like to know the following
What was the total price?
Does it have the anti pinch feature?
Any standard warranty offered?
thanks guys!
I got it directly from Webasto channel partners. I didnt want a TML middle person to do the job
The overall price including including installation and leak proofing costs 22K. It is completely manual! no electronics! Comes with 2 years warranty and 1 year 2 free services!

Congrats Sai. Did you purchase it from Kumaran Auto ?

Overall Howz the service in Kumaran ? Earlier in my Manza, it was worse and probably really worse with them. Hope they might have changed now. [:)]
Yup from Kumaran only. don't know if they are improved or not! my last 1 year service of nano, i got it done in coimbatore SRT Tata.
At kumaran now i see lot of young service managers, i hope it must have improved! but when i went for the HU issue, they were searching for the OBD port under dashboard [lol]

Last edited:
At kumaran now i see lot of young service managers, i hope it must have improved! but when i went for the HU issue, they were searching for the OBD port under dashboard [lol]
Still the same buddy. Only thing changed there is lots of youngsters as you said and a new parking slot for parking the cars which are out for delivery. [frustration]

Last edited:
Hi,
Congratulations on your new Tata Zest. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
I believe this is the First AMT review in our forum. Keep the service related details updated in this thread which will help may people who are analyzing the TATA Zest.

thanks guys!
I got it directly from Webasto channel partners. I didnt want a TML middle person to do the job
The overall price including including installation and leak proofing costs 22K. It is completely manual! no electronics! Comes with 2 years warranty and 1 year 2 free services!
Ok, when you say manual how it is getting operated? Can you share some more details/pics for easy understanding?

Top Bottom