Recently I have exchanged my Beat LT petrol with Swift ZDI. Main reason was high maintenance cost & low fuel economy. It served my almost 43 months, I covered 38K km in odometer.
I was looking for a diesel hatchback which will serve my purpose as below -
1. High fuel economy
2. Low maintenance cost
3. Good drivability
4. Riding comfort
And the options I tried Polo TDI, Tata Bolt, i20 elite, Jazz, Swift ZDI
Polo – It was the most fun to drive car - but did not opt for high maintenance & servicing concerns.
Tata Bolt - Everything was good except the engine. Did not like the vibration at all.
Jazz – Fit & finish was very good, huge interior space. Due to very sluggish nature in lower RPM & highly priced top variant discouraged me thinking about this car.
i20 Elite – Great looking car, nice handling, superb 6 speed gear box. So I shortlisted Asta variant of this car.
Swift – It was fun to drive but not as Polo TDI. Front seat was most comfortable place of the car. There is lots of missing features present in ZDI variant.
Now I started comparing between Asta & Zdi –
Negative points & my findings -
1. Pathetic boot space – (not applicable for me because I used beat earlier & most of time car is occupied by two – me & my wife)
2. Less comfortable rear seat – can be ignored for the same reasons as above.
3. Generation old looks & zero road presence – Once you get into roads every next car is swift or dzire or dzire tour. But point is there is lots of after market modification options to make it different from the rest. Have a look on the Swift sport version launched in UK & Indonesia – definitely a head turner.
4. Quality of parts used – Interior fit & finish is compromised to serve larger Indian consumer base. Most annoying is the width of the door glass - very thin & low quality glass has been provided through out all variants.
Positive points –
1. Drivability – Neatly composed steering, superb suspension, moreover the soft gearbox will bring a big smile of any driving enthusiast’s face.
2. Cost overhead – More fuel efficient, less maintenance, more service stations, higher resale value
Now coming to i20 asta -
All the above negetive points turned into positive here -
1. Moderate bootspace
2. Rear seat with more thigh support
3. Stunning looks
4. Neatly designed interior & exterior
But the downsides bothered me more
1. Significant tourbo lag in lower rpm
2. Inconsistent steering reaponse
3. Too soft suspension
4. Pricy top variant
Listing down all the points already made my decision for Swift. Still one point was banging in my head the looks of elite i20. I just thought it was too elegant for me. For example if I were provided to choose from Marc & Audi, I would choose Audi for its sporty & aggressive looking not the elegant Marc. And moreover I have already suffered once for choosing Beat only for looks. So at last Swift ZDI pearl white was the car.
After lot of bargaining at all the dealers at Kolkata I got the best exchange value of Beat at Machino Techno alipore. I booked my car 19th July 2015. Salesman promised me to deliver within 15 working days and delivered on 14th August 2015. Car came with amaron battery & MRF zvt as stock tyre.
I bought 2 years extended warranty. Basic accessories kit was provided like steering wheel cover, foot mat & mud flap. I bargained door side guard & door visor.
So few more accessories were need like
Seat cover – Chose ready-made autoform U urn black & silver
Sun film – Garware NP50
Tefflon coating – 3M
Racing strip graphics – Grey vinyl graphics with black border.