Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi: The Ultimate Value For Money

Thread Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Recently I have exchanged my Beat LT petrol with Swift ZDI. Main reason was high maintenance cost & low fuel economy. It served my almost 43 months, I covered 38K km in odometer.

I was looking for a diesel hatchback which will serve my purpose as below -

1. High fuel economy
2. Low maintenance cost
3. Good drivability
4. Riding comfort

And the options I tried Polo TDI, Tata Bolt, i20 elite, Jazz, Swift ZDI

Polo – It was the most fun to drive car - but did not opt for high maintenance & servicing concerns.

Tata Bolt - Everything was good except the engine. Did not like the vibration at all.

Jazz – Fit & finish was very good, huge interior space. Due to very sluggish nature in lower RPM & highly priced top variant discouraged me thinking about this car.

i20 Elite – Great looking car, nice handling, superb 6 speed gear box. So I shortlisted Asta variant of this car.

Swift – It was fun to drive but not as Polo TDI. Front seat was most comfortable place of the car. There is lots of missing features present in ZDI variant.

Now I started comparing between Asta & Zdi –

Swift –
Negative points & my findings -
1. Pathetic boot space – (not applicable for me because I used beat earlier & most of time car is occupied by two – me & my wife)
2. Less comfortable rear seat – can be ignored for the same reasons as above.
3. Generation old looks & zero road presence – Once you get into roads every next car is swift or dzire or dzire tour. But point is there is lots of after market modification options to make it different from the rest. Have a look on the Swift sport version launched in UK & Indonesia – definitely a head turner.
4. Quality of parts used – Interior fit & finish is compromised to serve larger Indian consumer base. Most annoying is the width of the door glass - very thin & low quality glass has been provided through out all variants.

Positive points –
1. Drivability – Neatly composed steering, superb suspension, moreover the soft gearbox will bring a big smile of any driving enthusiast’s face.
2. Cost overhead – More fuel efficient, less maintenance, more service stations, higher resale value

Now coming to i20 asta -

All the above negetive points turned into positive here -

1. Moderate bootspace
2. Rear seat with more thigh support
3. Stunning looks
4. Neatly designed interior & exterior

But the downsides bothered me more

1. Significant tourbo lag in lower rpm
2. Inconsistent steering reaponse
3. Too soft suspension
4. Pricy top variant

Listing down all the points already made my decision for Swift. Still one point was banging in my head the looks of elite i20. I just thought it was too elegant for me. For example if I were provided to choose from Marc & Audi, I would choose Audi for its sporty & aggressive looking not the elegant Marc. And moreover I have already suffered once for choosing Beat only for looks. So at last Swift ZDI pearl white was the car.

After lot of bargaining at all the dealers at Kolkata I got the best exchange value of Beat at Machino Techno alipore. I booked my car 19th July 2015. Salesman promised me to deliver within 15 working days and delivered on 14th August 2015. Car came with amaron battery & MRF zvt as stock tyre.

I bought 2 years extended warranty. Basic accessories kit was provided like steering wheel cover, foot mat & mud flap. I bargained door side guard & door visor.
So few more accessories were need like

Seat cover – Chose ready-made autoform U urn black & silver
Sun film – Garware NP50
Tefflon coating – 3M
Door cluff
Racing strip graphics – Grey vinyl graphics with black border.

Re: Swift ZDI .. The ulimate value for money

Welcome to TAI and congratulation for your new Swift.I am also the owner of Swift and can assure it will give you ultimate pleasure of Driving.[clap]

pls post few graphics pics

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Swift ZDI .. The ulimate value for money

Hi guys,

There are a lot more pics i will be uploading soon. But the problem is .. Pics are coming as thumbnails, not as full sized images, can you please help me out how can I post full size images?

Cheers
Debajit

Thread Starter #5
I am attaching some the pis here..

Music system & auto climate control
IMG_20150814_232811.jpg

Push Start button
IMG_20150823_102923_20150825153347716.jpg

Bluetooth & call setup buttons at steering wheel
IMG_20150823_103105.jpg

Steering mounted audio controls
IMG_20150823_103033.jpg

Driver side controls for ORVM adjustment & door glass. Quality of this part seems below average.
IMG_20150823_103340.jpg

Odometer area .. nothing new in here..
IMG_20150823_103747.jpg

Autoform U -URN Pearl Silver seat cover
IMG_20150823_103432.jpg
IMG_20150823_103458.jpg

Thread Starter #6
I have done some stickering job with grey & black vinyl. Your comments & suggestions please.
IMG_20150819_160529.jpg

IMG_20150822_070808.jpg

IMG_20150822_125253.jpg

So these are the details as of now. I will post more details soon.

Thanks
Debajit

How much was the Autoform seat cover cost?

Congratulation on you new Swift, now enjoy the ride....

Stickering job is quite nice dude....

Thread Starter #9
How much was the Autoform seat cover cost?

Congratulation on you new Swift, now enjoy the ride....

Stickering job is quite nice dude....
Thanks dude!

Those seats cost me 6.5k including fitting charge.

Your stickering job looks cool.I am also very frequent to Roadstar.[clap]

Thanks bro.

Hope to see you soon at Arindam da's workshop.

Thanks
Debajit

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, And Congrats on your new swift zdi

and to say about the swift what you told was absolutely true it is extreme like comfortable and value for money car and i to own a swift vdi blue color and just now crossed 18,000km.[:)]

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
Thanks Vinesh,
Blue swift looks awesome. I was also keen to buy a blue one, but this color has been discontinued in new models, so I bought the white one & did some graphics.

However,
I did clock 600+ kms in this car, over all driving experience is very good. I started to love the turbo thrust it takes up beyond 1500 rpm. Steering is just awesome even in low speed & high speed, always controlled. Which i was most surprised - the suspension - it takes up big pot holes easily. I did some high speed cornering (70+ speed) - did not notice any body roll.

Only irritating part is the rolling noise - it might be coming from the tires. So need suggestions from you guys how to handle this problem.

Coming to mileage as expected this filled my heart with joy.
The odometer mileage calculator gave several figures as I reset this several times.

But while manually calculated (full tank to full tank method) I have got 16.22 KMPL with 90% city driving & 10% highway with auto AC.
I have travelled 495 kms by 30.51 ltr of diesel. I am extremely happy with this figure, specially at this preliminary stage.[:D]

Thanks
Debajit

Congrats on the new Car. Wish you happy miles ahead.
Only irritating part is the rolling noise - it might be coming from the tires. So need suggestions from you guys how to handle this problem.

Which brand are they? My friend's swift came with Goodyear and they were pathetic. Only option is to replace the Tires.

Thread Starter #13
Hi Sathish,

Those are MRF zvtv 185/65R15. I am also thinking to change these but wondering which tyres should I opt for..
Thanks
Debajit

Hi, rev head

may i know the tire brand. I got bridgestone 165 section tyres it didn't suite the car's size, and i changed the rim (drum wheel to alloy wheels) and its okay for now but ones these tires life overs i will change it to 195 section. i think the top end varient comes with 15 inch rim with 185 tires. so the problem is with the tires i think because when i asked in my service station they told that the 185 tires make lot os noise and it will make the cabin very noisy so if you are planning to change the tires then put 175 or 195 there will be no problem, and you to consult any tire shop or service stations and you could get an idea[:)]. White is a great color i had it in my mind but white is very hard to maintain the same brightness so that i went to blue. your vehicle also looks great but personally i prefer black color graphics in white. it would have been very contrasting.
swift is one of my most favorite car. due to its sporty looks, compact dimensions yet spacious, peppy and frugal DDIS diesel engine, premium and sporty interiors and a very comfortable ride quality and handling. as you said suspensions are really well tuned to tackle all sort of bumps and pot holes hats off to maruti[clap]. i doesn't feels wobbling i went to Chennai thrice in swift from coimbatore and i have driven it around 170 kmph and it is rock steady. really a fantastic car. its a pride to own a swift. fuel efficiency i am getting 19.5 to 20.0 in city and 21.5 to 22.5 out on the highway. i am very satisfied with the swift i all point of view but the boot space were i am getting a little disappointed. but still i love it. when i sell the swift i will surely get another swift. already this is my second maruti car before swift we had maruti zen lx 2001 model california gold. now i am planning to buy Maruti S-CROSS.

Regards,

Dr. Vinesh Rathnagiri

Top Bottom