Mercedes-Benz E250 CDI Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1

Owning a Mercedes was a long standing dream for me.Well,I was planning to buy a Mercedes somewhere in 2016 or 2017.There was no urgencyat that time,as my Honda city was in supreme condition.We were passing by Mercedes showroom one day,We decided to have a look of the cars available there.This was in February 2015.There were two cars on display,one the recently launched C class and the other, E class.

Well,initially we enquired about the rates.The salesman said C class will cost you around 48 lakhs.I thought that was pretty high for C class.Previously it was around 35-40 lakhs.Then we enquired about E class,and he said it will be around 55 lakhs.The petrol E class would be 2 lakhs cheaper than the diesel one.The C class was sure extravagant,looking like a Baby S class from behind,and all the cool interiors.But the difference between C class and E class was only 5-7 lakh rupees only.For that price you are going to get a bigger car with a bigger engine.We have no intention to sell this car in the near future,so we thought why not go for a better car which is a class above? The main disadvantages of C class compared to E class are

• Rear leg room was insufficient in C class.
• Spare tyre was eating away most of the room in the boot.
• 180 BHP power compared to 203 BHP in E class.

Well,I have a strong feeling that a 50 lakh car must have atleast 200 BHP under it’s hood.

We didn’t wan’t to buy any car at that time.We thought may be,we will look again in 6 months.But the sales person and the Branch manager were insisting that there will be a price hike within 1 month.They were somewhat successful in bending our minds towards an immediate purchase.We came home and me and my wife discussed whether to purchase immediately or to wait for 6 months.If we purchase then what car?The cars under consideration were C and E class.No other cars were considered,although I would have loved to consider 3 series or 5 series.My wife insisted that our first German luxury car should be a Mercedes.She said if you want to buy BMW,you can do it later,but it should be a Mercedes first.

We decided that we should buy the car as soon as possible before the price hike.Nobody knew clearly about the price hike,but we didn’t want to take chances.I requested for the test drive of E class and C class.Unfortunately they don’t have the C class for test drive.I proceeded with the test drive of E class, E 250D.This is my first experience with an automatic car.The first thing I liked about E class is it’s very easy to maneuver despite it’s big size.It felt so easy to drive the car.More on my drive experience later.C class was out of the race and the question is diesel or petrol? I went through some reviews and most of them suggested that for Indian conditions diesel Mercs are suited best.So I ordered E250 CDI Obsidian Black.The sales person said that they will deliver the car in 1 week.After all the discounts The on road price was 55 lakhs.

Free Accessories given
Two car covers
Mud flaps
Ipad stand
Floor mats
Load sill protector for boot

Things I like in my car

The first thing I like about this E class is the monstrous torque of 500NM.You can overtake anything with the slight touch on the accelerator.It’s very useful in highway driving.There are 2 modes Economy and sport. I do most of my driving in Economy mode .I use Sport mode occasionally for some spirited driving.Previously I used to think twice to overtake some vehicles with my Honda city.Now I need not think much about overtaking,because with this vehicle I can outpace almost all the vehicles I encounter on roads.I was gentle on the accelerator for the first 1500 Km,and never let the engine cross 2000 RPM.Even after that I am gentle with this car as you need not push harder with it.Even at 120 0r 130 KPH speeds the Rev meter never crosses 3000 RPM.Yes, the engine is that good.

The car looks majestic.

The engine is very refined and a pleasure to drive.You won’t hear the noise of engine in the cabin even at 150 KPH.The 7G tronic automatic transmission is good,though feels sluggish occasionally.

Stability at high speeds.You don’t feel like you are going at 160 0r 170 until you see the speedometer.Great composure at high speed is very confidence inspiring.

Top class safety features.Good breaking capability at high speeds.

Automatic vipers and head lights.You don’t have to search for vipers or headlight switches.

Pretty comfortable seats.You won’t feel any fatigue even after driving for 5 hours at a stretch.Ofcourse this is dependent not only on the ride comfort,but also other factors may contribute like it’s an automatic and also great lights which reduces the burden during night driving.

Ground clearance is adequate.

Good ride quality.Although you will feel the speed breakers it’s more like a soft thud.

Good handling.I can now turn into corners without decreasing the speed,which I couldn’t do with my Honda city previously.

Solid build quality.

Audio system is good,but I don’t use it much.Good Blue tooth connectivity and good clarity while receiving calls.

Good interior lighting.3 types of modes you can choose from,solar,polar and neutral.

Great space in the front,good space on the back.

Things I don’t like

No reverse camera.It’s a 50 lakh plus car and you don’t get a reverse camera.

No navigation.I have to use my MMI LX340 for navigation,for long trips.Ofcourse MMI is pretty good.If you want navigation you have to spend 1 lakh rupees in this E class.

Very slight sqeaking noise when you cross 100KMPh.I informed this to the service advisor during my free checkup at 3000 KM.They ran the diagnostics and said there is no problem.I went out for the test drive with the service guys,but I couldn’t replicate the sound at that time.It is still there,which is slightly annoying.I tried to record the sound but wasn’t successful.It comes only if you cross 100KMPH.

Now some pictures
My son with the car at the time of delivery

DSC_0786.jpg
DSC_0835.jpg
DSC_0937.jpg
IMG_20150328_165552.jpg
DSC_0930.jpg
DSC_0657.jpg

Dual chrome tip exhaust

DSC_0931.jpg

Shark fin antenna,but I think BMW's antenna has better shape.

DSC_0946.jpg

At the RTO office

IMG_20150326_143349.jpg

Notice the characteristic DRL's

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0879.jpg

DSC_0880.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

Going for a trip.Big boot.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

Some pics of the interiors

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

IMG_20150313_152550.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0647.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0868.jpg

Rear sensor

DSC_0649.jpg

The key

DSC_0658.jpg

Analog clock,my favourite

IMG_20150313_152651.jpg

Good looking alloy wheels

IMG_20150313_153223.jpg

ipad stand

IMG_20150522_164916.jpg

AC vents for the back

DSC_0645.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

Notice the paddle shifters on steering wheel

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0639.jpg

Memory settings and controls on the driver side

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

Memory settings on the passenger side

DSC_0624.jpg

Some pictures of the dials in the car

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0625.jpg

DSC_0626.jpg

DSC_0627.jpg

DSC_0628.jpg

DSC_0861.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

Glove box

DSC_0636.jpg

Passenger side vanity mirror

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0641.jpg

Some pics in the dark

DSC_0988.jpg

DSC_0959.jpg

DSC_0985.jpg

DSC_1003.jpg

DSC_1004.jpg

DSC_1008.jpg

So far the ownership experinence is good.I am using honda city for short trips and Mercedes for long trips.

Re: My Mercedes E class - E250 CDI,Ownership review

Congrats on your new ride!!! It was the most bizarre reason on buying a new Benz I have ever read!! I was like, WTH!!! You just bought this car like you buy something from nearby shop. But that's what automotive enthusiasm will make you do. Isn't it? Anyways nice review for an awesome car.

Congrats for your new car, but you should consider and test drive another alternatives too. Anyway keep updating thread with maintenance costs.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Finally Dr. Sahab shares the Elegance of E-Class with us.[:)] E-Class is one wonderful car and literally uber luxurious sedan. The best shade for me in E-Class is Black. Once I saw the E-guard in Black, man I was literally speechless at its beauty. These Germans are built like a tank and provide safety and comfort at the same time. May this car provide you with more enjoyable memories.

Things I don’t like

No reverse camera.It’s a 50 lakh plus car and you don’t get a reverse camera.

No navigation.I have to use my MMI LX340 for navigation,for long trips.Ofcourse MMI is pretty good.If you want navigation you have to spend 1 lakh rupees in this E class.
Dr. Sahab, Mercedes Benz India has introduced the MY-16 E-Class in India. The new additions to the luxury sedan this time are the new Tele-matics multimedia system, Garmin MAP PILOT navigation, and a reverse camera.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Congrats on your new ride!!! It was the most bizarre reason on buying a new Benz I have ever read!! I was like, WTH!!! You just bought this car like you buy something from nearby shop. But that's what automotive enthusiasm will make you do. Isn't it? Anyways nice review for an awesome car.
Thanks for the reply.Well,it sort of happened like that.Frankly I never thought that We would buy a Mercedes that early.

Congrats for your new car, but you should consider and test drive another alternatives too. Anyway keep updating thread with maintenance costs.
Thanks for the reply.As I stated earlier no other cars were considered because it should be a Mercedes for now.It's sort of a dream to own a Mercedes.

Dr. Sahab, Mercedes Benz India has introduced the MY-16 E-Class in India. The new additions to the luxury sedan this time are the new Tele-matics multimedia system, Garmin MAP PILOT navigation, and a reverse camera.

Regards

Akash
Thank you Akash.I am aware of that.But I believe there must have been a price increase of atleast 4-5 lakh rupees.Everything is pricey for these German luxury cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats Doc., an aftermarket reverse camera, fitted on IRVM, and a dash cam, and you are good to go.

No joy stick to hold?, just nitpicking.

enjoy your 3 pointed star

regards

vinod

Thanks for the reply.As I stated earlier no other cars were considered because it should be a Mercedes for now.It's sort of a dream to own a Mercedes.
Keep updating thread. With long-term ownership review. Bro where r u from.
am from Hyderabad. Have seen your regn
Number it's AP. Ap 7 means Guntur?.

Thread Starter #8

Keep updating thread. With long-term ownership review. Bro where r u from.
am from Hyderabad. Have seen your regn
Number it's AP. Ap 7 means Guntur?.
Yeah,AP 7 means Guntur.I am from Sattenapalli,a town in Guntur district.

Congratulations Doc on your new acquisition. [clap]

You have bought one of the best German beasts and nice choice of color.

E class looks best in black shade. And nicely laid down ownership reports and loved the pics.

Wish you many many happy and safe miles with your Mercs.

Thread Starter #10
Congrats Doc., an aftermarket reverse camera, fitted on IRVM, and a dash cam, and you are good to go.

No joy stick to hold?, just nitpicking.

enjoy your 3 pointed star

regards

vinod
Thanks for the reply.I have no intention of using an after market reverse camera at the momemt.May be later.

You have bought one of the best German beasts and nice choice of color.

E class looks best in black shade.
Thank you.I love Mercs in black colour.They look majestic in this colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Congratulations on your new Mercedes benz. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Its great to see top model Luxury cars still use analog meters. It always the best one.
Digital meters look good, but information will not be exact as Analog.

Thread Starter #13
Hi,
Congratulations on your new Mercedes benz. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Its great to see top model Luxury cars still use analog meters. It always the best one.
Digital meters look good, but information will not be exact as Analog.
Thanks for the reply.I don't like digital meters or digital watches for that matter.Analog meters and analog clock sure does bring charm to these luxury cars.

That's a wonderful car Dr. Saab. It Feels Nice that you have fulfilled your dream most of us don't get to buy our dream car[;)]. I firmly believe that these cars look good only in 2 colors white and black. Waiting to hear more from you. and Yes Thanks for those wonderful pics it was treat to the eyes. i am an old school too i like analogue over digital any given day.

Top Bottom