My Tata Zest - Cool and Cloudy

Thread Starter #1
The ownership review will focus more on the observation and what ZEST delivers as promised by TATA

Test Drive :

TATA BOLT RT XT: It was a direct walk-in and found that the car was fitting our bills in all the aspect (including the power delivery, braking and safety). We had almost got to the final negotiation with sales person. When there was a discussion on Road tax calculation (since there are some discounts and i was mentioning that the road tax should be calculated on the final price), "THE General Manager (Sales)" walks into the conversation with his "i-know-everything-kinda-attitude" and gave a kick-ass story about how he was gifted a skoda but he was to pay the road tax on the ex-showroom (Before the story, he did not hear what the conversation was all about and asked us to leave).
Anyways, they did not have an answer and we left without any fuzz

Fiat linea T-Jet : It was a direct walk-in and there was a wait for close to 30 minutes before they could arrange a test drive. We felt the drive was good in all the aspect (power, handling, braking) and when sorted details on the top-end price, we had to move on (It was very high than our budget)

Ford Fiesta : Direct walk-in; It was the best drive so far while shopping for the new car (handling/power/safety) but again it was way above our budget and had to drop it (listening to head sometimes)

With all the information, we started our research to finalize "THE CAR". In the meanwhile, FIAT showroom called up to inform that there was a 2013 display Linea T-JET available for sale. We headed over to the FIAT to check the car and to keep the story short we were not so much comfortable with both price offered and the idea of display car.

While it was all happening, we had some 10-15 minutes for them to come up with break-up for the display vehicle and we used that time to check the TATA showroom (This was a different location) for TATA ZEST and yes you guessed it right!

Here we were stunned to look at the feature-list and price on the TOP-END REVERTON (It was logical for me to decide on petrol since we probably drive close to 300-500 kms in a month).

TATA ZEST XT RT
===========

Customer experience was very nice and the executive was knowledgeable about what is being offered upfront (That first impression was the deal for him)

After discussing further, I required them for a test drive and viola!! We finalized on TATA ZEST RT XT for exchange of TATA VISTA LS

Old car Exhange was smooth and the sales manager personnel came to finish the deal with us (Thank for the gentleman time and customer centric attitude)

Booking was quick and the loan processing took sometime; In the meanwhile, twist to the tale happened with two points
- Reading through blogs revealed that post FEB 2015 vehicles were provided with MAPSMYINDIA plugin (with android) and video playback
- Sales executive was moved to "The branch" were we had our bitter experience.

Cross checking the VIN information available with TATA SALES Manager for the features available revealed that it was pre-FEB production line vehicle. Immediately, requested the sales manager to intervene to procure vehicle with updated features. (Well, I have stated the reason why we were moving it through TATA representative)

It took me almost a month than planned for the car to be delivered. I'll like to Thank Mr.Kannan (Sales executive) for understanding the problem for us to come to the showroom and he did multiple trips to our house to do all the paper work and made sure the delivery was done on the said day

Now, lets look at what the machine had to offer (My opinion)

Look and Feel :
It was plush and premium on both inside and outside. The fit and finish is extremely satisfactory.

Driving experience :

Power and Mileage :
- ECO mode seems to be alright considering that VISTA LS (F.I.R.E.) does have the same amount of pick-up
- CITY mode has a mix of power and mileage (Best for city drive)
- SPORTS mode delivers the much needed power and felt the urge to keep the accelerator punched for more and more KMS
I also felt that the turbo has really helped to keep the machine running with less gear shifts

Handling and Braking :
Nothing to complaint. Curves and sudden DE-acceleration are handled really well without much of effort

I felt that zest is not handling hills well; I was constantly on 1st gear needing more power to climb even on 2nd gear (Drive was on sports mode)

Last few words and some photo of "The machine"

-Definitely TATA needs to bring better dealership (especially sales team)
-TATA ZEST could have been released with 1.4 Rev considering the size of the car

Thanks to "The Automotive India" for the updates and pre delivery checklist

Attachments

Last edited:
Short can crisp review.

I believe you had Vista and now have Zest. So they are 2 generation of cars. I see that you had initial planned to get Bolt but settled on the Zest. So I have couple of questions.

1. How would you compare between Vista and Bolt?
2. What made you choose Zest vs Bolt ?

Congrats on your new ride. I feel the Zest look Best in Grey. This is really wonderful call. How much did it cost you on road?

Congrats for your zest. Let me know when your instant FE show good milage. I found that between 1700 - 1800 rpm and speed at 75 -80 is giving much better milage around 19 to 21.

Thread Starter #9
Short can crisp review.

I believe you had Vista and now have Zest. So they are 2 generation of cars. I see that you had initial planned to get Bolt but settled on the Zest. So I have couple of questions.

1. How would you compare between Vista and Bolt?
2. What made you choose Zest vs Bolt ?

Congrats on your new ride. I feel the Zest look Best in Grey. This is really wonderful call. How much did it cost you on road?
Thank you! That's a tough question to answer. Matter of fact, we did not have ZEST in mind at all but it all happened when we walked into TATA showroom for a window shopping (Thanks to FIAT executive to delay the break-up for TJET Linea)

For comparison of VISTA & BOLT :
- They come with different petrol engine (VISTA was delivered with F.I.R.E. (FIAT) and BOLT with their in-house developed REV ENGINE)
- Car quality has improved with lot of gadgets; Plastic quality feels from premium segment with corner control (Tested it with ZEST but not on BOLT). I feel much comfortable taking corners as compared to VISTA (I usually go down by 10-20 kmph from current speed to do the curves)
- BOLT has less boot space compared to VISTA
- BOLT definitely has much better handling/quality/security compared to VISTA (Petrol version)
We purely did not go for BOLT cause of boot space (Also due to the first dealership experience). ZEST was our logical choice considering our requirement and budget (Of course, we did not compromise on our buy and would have waited if nothing was to our satisfaction) - Family requirement was to have bigger boot as well when we move away from VISTA

OnRoad was 7.37L in Bangalore.

Congrats for your zest. Let me know when your instant FE show good mileage. I found that between 1700 - 1800 rpm and speed at 75 -80 is giving much better mileage around 19 to 21.
It was around 1500 rpm-2000 rpm on mine. I'm getting approx. 14.5 to 17 km/L. In mixed traffic (with 10% ACC) having driven 20% in city and 80% highway, it was giving close to 18 km/L and with 100% ACC (70% highway and 30% city) it was close to 14 km/L

@Vista_addict
Congrats a TON on the new ZEST[clap]
Will you change your user name now? [glasses]
Thanks mate!
ROFL, I'm going to change it and was not able to figure out how to change the user name.

Congrats man! You bought a car with Fuzz free engine..i had Indica Xeta (Engine on which revotron is based) and it never ever gave me any trouble.
I have only one complaint of the engine; It heats up quite a lot. I'm so used to cooler engine and feel bit UN-comfortable about 3 point heat as against 1 point with F.I.R.E. on vista [:D]

Top Bottom