Volkswagen Polo HL 1.2 (Petrol): My Night Blue German Beauty

Thread Starter #1

This is my first review thread in the forum and I have seen some very good Polo reviews so will keep it specific to my experience.
Car decision:
I was using Peppy Honda Brio for about 2.5 years which I enjoyed very much in city as well as long trips and some very long ones close to 2K in a week and my cute Brio performed so well without any issues.
After al these happiness and peppiness [:D] , I had to let it go! [cry]
The only problem I was facing lately with brio is luggage space and expect it to increase as I now travel with friends / family very frequently and thoughts its time to do something about it.
Criteria for the new ride:
Definitely a hatch or entry level Sedan with good language space as usually we 4 travel. Budget around 2.5 Lacs for difference after selling the existing car, which should be enough as I am looking for Petrol car, my daily commute is not much ( mostly less than 5 KMS) and can spend on fuel for weekend trips.
I was looking for premium solid build car with feature packed performer.
I short listed Polo and Elite i20 as they both have good enough space and looks quite fresh with new versions, Polo's interior and i20's exterior looks brilliant.
With very close contest between them, I finalized Polo for its build quality, superb interiors and flat bottom steering wheel which looks Just awesome with other interior elements in the HL.
I was talking to BU Bhandari VW in Pashan for about 4-5 months since I had a test drive earlier and contacted again for the right deal on my Brio and for the new Polo.
After discussing for few weeks, got the right quote and also had to increase my budget by 50K for the POLO HL.
Booked on Wednesday with full difference payment and also handing over Brio on the same day, got the car delivery on Friday ( That was Quick[clap] )
It’s just about a week but below is my view on the Polo:
Exterior and design-
Elegant, Clean and Solid. With new front bumper and Alloys looks more classy.
Projector head lights looks great and add more character to the car
Interiors-
Perfectly placed with top quality functioning.
Flat bottom steering looks upmarket and well suited to the well build ride
Centre console with silver use is not to my test, glossy black would have been a better choice for me, will check for any alteration to it.
Multimedia system works well with mobile support for calls and media play back.
Missing the Armrest, would have been a good finish.
Performance-
Highway stability, comfort of the ride is just great specifically after Brio’s little hard suspension setup.
Polo Petrol 1.2 is not peppier as we like but smooth and precise gear box makes it fun to drive at some level.
Attached few pics, will share more after Mods are applied.
Planned mods are
- Armrest on the way from Alliexpress. Ordered today after reviewing other threads.
- Seat cover. Still in confusion whether to go for full beige seats or darker shade with more black and some beige in it. (Please help which one would be better)
- Tyre upgrade – I have used Michelin XM2 on Brio (upgrade from 175x65x14 to 185x60x14) and worked well, thinking to upgrade from 185x60x15 to 195x60x15 for XM2 or Bridgestone Turanza. (Please suggest on this one)
I will share some more details as time goes and get more time to experience it.​

Attachments

Re: POLO HL 1.2 PETROL - My Night Blue German Beauty

Congratulations on you're new Polo. Have a peaceful ownership.

Some queries.
1. Does Polo now also come with Footwell Lights ? I can see them in the snaps above, If I Recall, only Vento used to have them.

2. Have you fitted Projector Headlamps ? I can see that you're car has Dual Beam Reflector Type Headlights.
Could you confirm these ?

Thread Starter #3

Hey Nishant
The new polo 2015 comes with projector headlights and the HIghline with footwell lights.
I haven't actually made any mods to it.

Hey Nishant
The new polo 2015 comes with projector headlights and the HIghline with footwell lights.
I can see footwell lights. But where are the projector headlights ?
Good color choice, I am bored of White & Red Polo's. Wish this Blue was there in GT TSi as well. Any features additions you have noticed apart from the 2 you have mentioned.

Thread Starter #6
@ Nishant
One of the difference I feel on the lights is with new headlights low beam is better now and when switching to high beam, low beam still on and now it's more effective then earlier polos ( I have 2 more polos in the family of earlier version so one of them is comfort line and other HIghline ) also now it has cornering lights and when headlights on and fog lights off, if I switch on right turn indicators my right fog light is switched on automatically and as soon as my indicator is off, it turned off. Looks like it wasn't there in earlier polos, not sure.
Also on the flat bottom steering wheel we have control on both sides and fit and finish is different then earlier.
Will keep posted any further differences

@ thanks Vishnu!

@ Nishant
One of the difference I feel on the lights is with new headlights low beam is better now and when switching to high beam, low beam still on and now it's more effective then earlier polos ( I have 2 more polos in the family of earlier version so one of them is comfort line and other HIghline ) also now it has cornering lights and when headlights on and fog lights off, if I switch on right turn indicators my right fog light is switched on automatically and as soon as my indicator is off, it turned off. Looks like it wasn't there in earlier polos, not sure!
Yes, the dual barrel headlamps work well and are better compared to single barrel ones. They also look good and enhance the look of the car.
Cornering Fog lamps are again excellent feature to have, I have used it in our Jetta.

CONGRATS bhaumik358!!!
I am thinking of replacing my alto with a petrol hatch, can you clear some of my queries??
1. Is your polo manual 1.2 Mpi or Tsi
2. what is the on-road price you got
3. was there any discount on offer or any free accessories?
4. What is the average on both city and highways and also do you feel the 1.2 Mpi engine feels underpowered?

Thanks in advance, Reply soon as i am considering polo 1.2 Mpi seriously.

Thread Starter #10
Hi Iuber

Mine is 1.2 petrol 74 BHP, not the TSI
actual on road was 7,46 with nil dep insurance. I managed to get discount and came down to 7.05 and also took insurance my self and price then came at 6.95. Not much free accessories as I took on the price discounts and HL come with almost all features.
I have 2 more petrol polo in family and they are not as peppy as Honda but it's gear box is so smooth that u don't feel it much issue to change gear and workout for faster moves. On highway it's so stable and have crossed 145 on my earlier polos, haven't got chance on this one.
So I am pretty happy with the 1.2 petrol but GT is a super performer but didn't fit into my budget :)
For fuel efficiency in city I drive only 1 km to my office with full traffic and I get only 8 where in for normal 15-20 km city run I got 12-14 and haven't got chance to drive on highway. These are from trip meter readings. I will update on highway figures as soon as I got a chance.
let me know if you need any further details!!

- Bhaumik

Thanks Bhaumik for prompt reply.
What else i want to know is how is the performance of 1.2 Mpi? as we know it is 3 cylinder engine, does it produces decent amount of power or we have to work the gears hard?
how is the rear seat for average size adults?
i am concern of the power produced from the 1.2 Mpi engine, as also i have i20 in my garage, i dont mind losing some features coming down from i20. what i dont want is the the engine to feel strained or underpowered. can you shed some light on the same?
Can you post some more pics of your car, it will help a lot.

Thread Starter #12
In my view, polo MPI is not underpowered and it can cruse well around 120-130 on highway and I have actually reached 150 on baroda Ahmedabad express way on my brother's polo earlier.
On the gear box, I can remain in gear 3 for around 25 km and in 4 around 35 and still raise it quite well so I don't feel much of an issue with this.
Back seat leg room is little cramp but seats are good and seat angel makes it little more comfortable. I guess i20 has better leg room in back seat.
Also when compared to Honda 1.2 Vtec with 88 BHP on Brio, it is peppy but when AC is switched on, it feels really underpowered specially on hill areas, while polo MPI with 74BHP doesnt die like Honda when AC is ON and gear 2 and 3 can still provide the punch to rush when needed.
Still I think you test drive Polo MPI on highway if possible as I have seen many reviews on Polo MPI being less powered which is different to my view.

I just got floormats ordered online and placed it (not good at all but will use for the monsoon) and also arm rest from china which I have to fix. So will upload some more pics with additional details, should help you choose the best option !! [:)]

In my view, polo MPI is not underpowered and it can cruse well around 120-130 on highway and I have actually reached 150 on baroda Ahmedabad express way on my brother's polo earlier.
On the gear box, I can remain in gear 3 for around 25 km and in 4 around 35 and still raise it quite well so I don't feel much of an issue with this.
Back seat leg room is little cramp but seats are good and seat angel makes it little more comfortable. I guess i20 has better leg room in back seat.
Also when compared to Honda 1.2 Vtec with 88 BHP on Brio, it is peppy but when AC is switched on, it feels really underpowered specially on hill areas, while polo MPI with 74BHP doesnt die like Honda when AC is ON and gear 2 and 3 can still provide the punch to rush when needed.
Still I think you test drive Polo MPI on highway if possible as I have seen many reviews on Polo MPI being less powered which is different to my view.

I just got floormats ordered online and placed it (not good at all but will use for the monsoon) and also arm rest from china which I have to fix. So will upload some more pics with additional details, should help you choose the best option !! [:)]
I Bought Polo 1.2mpi petrol for test drive yesterday, After driving for 3-4 Km in city, i felt that the engine is eager to rev. It sounds a bit noisy, but for this the Sales Executive said that, it sounds like this because it is given a sporty feel for driving(Is this true??).
What i also felt was, the motor is peppier than i20(or may be the sound produced from it makes it feel so??)
As far as space is concern i20 is great in Headroom, Legroom and even rear seat. My Mother, Grandma and my aunty all are short and they had to sit very close, while in i20 a 5year kid can fit between them, such amount of space is still on offer.
Brother can you post some pics of ur Polo here?

Last edited:

Congratulations Bhaumik358 for your new Polo 1.2 MPI, I own the same 1.2 MPI(Pre-facelift one) and have never been disappointed in terms of performance!
This 1.2 MPI engine maybe a 3 pot engine but it behaves like a 4 pot engine apart from little sporty noise! :stupid:
Only the torque is less at lower speeds and that too because of the weight of the car.

Hey Nishant
New Polo comes with double barrel headlamps not with projectors!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Yes, space in rear seat is slightly less than the i20.
Engine noise is there for petrol too, it feels sporty when u rev but its there all the time, cabin is silent from all other noise from outside but engine noise does come in, usually I play music all the time and feel even if we play it at low vol, we hardly hear the engine noise. But I like the noise when we start the car it feels like so sporty (Specially hearing from outside) (sales person claim that they tune for this, I doubt that !! [lol]).
Thanks BODHI and yes new polo is with double barrel (not projectors [frustration])
Updating pics with new mats and armrest took ordered China which covers mot of the interior. Iuber, you wanted interior pics only or exterior too ? I will do some photoshoot in weekend and post some here . [evil]

Attachments

Top Bottom