Got 94 Japanese Horses - 2005 Baleno LXi

Thread Starter #1
EDIT : Detailed review and more snaps in Page 2

It started from here,
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-shopper/22554-used-budget-sedan-rear-independent-suspension.html
and finally she is at home today.

IMG_3657.JPG

About the car:
Make : Maruti Suzuki (Or should I say Suzuki)
Model : Baleno
Variant : LXi
Year : 2005/Oct
Color : Silver
No. of owners : 1
Mileage : 82k

Added Accessories:
JVC DVD HU
Pioner Speakers in Front & Rear
Art Leather Seat Covers
Parking Sensor (but that doesn't work)
Few LEDs here & there

Inspection & Test Drive:
Last couple of weeks I saw few Lancers, Citys (Old City, Type 2) and a couple of Balenos, but nothing satisfied me. On 18th July (Saturday) we (self & the previous owner of subject car) had a chat over phone and decided to have a TD. Our schedules didn't matched and finally by around 9:00pm we could meet and I had a short TD and I fell in love [:)]
What attracted me were,
- Vehicle is well maintained inside out
- Only 82k on odo
- No abnormal noise / behavior during TD
- All electricals working properly
- Freezing AC
- Previous owner's Transparency
Though I'm satisfied with the vehicle performance, I wanted to see the vehicle in day light. Fixed his appointment the next morning. Both mind and heart said this is the car I needed. So I took my parents the next day to his home, inspected the vehicle in day light and found no major issues (except for few painted panels) Parents were also pretty satisfied after a short TD. Verified the documents, after a bit of negotiation finalized the price and decided to take the delivery by Thrusday (23rd Jul)

In the mean time I verified the vehicle history and found the odo reading being Genuine and no major accident repairs were done in past. Vehicle is serviced periodically till 70k km / 2014 and replaced most of the wear & tear parts like Clutch, Suspension, wheel bearings, etc during 50 & 60k km services.

Delivery:
Today my parents along with the driver took delivery of the car (as promised) Collected the original documents, got the transfer documents and the spare key. Car is at my hometown (Coimbatore) currently.

Driving Experience:
- Peppy Engine and good low end torque (balanced for City & Highway
drive ability)
- High speed stability
- Ride & Handling (far better than my current Sunny)
- Freezing AC
- Low seating position
Dislikes:
- Head lamp is inadequate
- Boring Interiors

Few snaps, clicked last weekend. Fresh snaps to follow after a couple of weeks (when I visit there)

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

Accessories Planned:
- Parking Sensors
- Complete Floor mat (Vinyl wrap)
- HL Upgrade
- Horn upgrade (Windtone)
- Alloys & Tire upgrade (not immediately)

Let me keep this thread active with more snaps and details after a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Last edited:
Before getting my Lancer I had a chance to TD a Baleno it was really awesome to drive but the agents played a dirty role to spoil the experience .
I was told a amount of 2.2 lakhs before seeing the car and when after the drive they knew I was very impressed and suddenly the second agent quoted 2.5 lakhs I was like WTH ???? Didn't even bothered to negotiate just left that place or else I would be a proud owner of that Baleno .

BTw . Happy miles munching buddy .[drive]

Thread Starter #3
Happy miles munching buddy
Thanks dear
I was told a amount of 2.2 lakhs before seeing the car and when after the drive they knew I was very impressed and suddenly the second agent quoted 2.5 lakhs I was like WTH ???? Didn't even bothered to negotiate just left that place or else I would be a proud owner of that Baleno .
This is one reason why I keep away from dealers

Congratulations Mr.Boss that's indeed a good buy. hope you enjoy many more safe and happy miles ahead. do keep updating us with the pics.
Baleno and esteem are the only 2 cars i like from the stable of this manufacturer.
yeah the headlight isn't adequate which i think you are considering an upgrade on will it be HID's or Projectors???.
The Seat cushion definitely gives it a premium feel, though i agree the interiors are bland. but then that era was totally different.
How about the tyres are they good or do they need to be changed. however on the rear RHS door is it a naming or a scrape mark. the overall exterior looks fantastic.

one more question though are you planning on keeping the wood finish on the center console. spoils the look IMO.

Last edited:
Congratulations brother[clap] . You have made a very good decision , Baleno is a good car and i hope you will enjoy every mile driving it. Best of luck for your planned modifications and upgrades. Post some more pics please.

Thread Starter #6
Congratulations Mr.Boss
Congratulations brother[clap] .
Post some more pics please.
Thanks buddies. More snaps to follow in coming weeks. Car is in Coimbatore and I stay at Chennai right now.
1) i think you are considering an upgrade on will it be HID's or Projectors???.
2) How about the tyres are they good or do they need to be changed.
3) however on the rear RHS door is it a naming or a scrape mark.
4) are you planning on keeping the wood finish on the center console. spoils the look IMO.
1) No HIDs / Projectors as of now, I'm considering to upgrade the HL bulbs to 100/90W, if that doesn't help let's think about the alternatives
2) Tires should last for another 10~15k km without any issues, how ever I may upgrade to Alloys with better tires in near future
3) that's "16V SMART" sticker
4) Silver trim from VXi variant is what I'm looking for, let's see if I could get one.

Congrats for buying Baleno Mr.Boss.It is the best car ever made by Maruti.But,sad that it got discontinued.Even Ciaz and SX4 is nowhere near to Baleno in terms of driving pleasure and performance due to 1.6 engine.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Congrats for buying Baleno Mr.Boss.It is the best car ever made by Maruti.But,sad that it got discontinued.Even Ciaz and SX4 is nowhere near to Baleno in terms of driving pleasure and performance due to 1.6 engine.
Thanks buddy.
There is no proper replacement for Baleno from Maruti Suzuki yet.

Hi,
Congratulations on your Maruti Baleno. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
If you tried for Coimbatore number car, it would cost you more i believe. I see now a days Coimbatore (in and around) are quoting very high amount for all sort of vehicles with local registrations.

Earlier too, it was there, but not with much difference.

Thread Starter #10
Congratulations on your Maruti Baleno. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
If you tried for Coimbatore number car, it would cost you more i believe.
Thanks dear.
Yes, TN37,38,39,41,42,66 these numbers cost a bomb in and around Coimbatore. CBE registered 2001 Baleno LXi, 2 owners, 1.2L on odo with too many issues was quoted 1.25L [surprise] (that too from a known source)

Congratulations on the acquisition @Mr.Boss! You've managed to find a really clean car. As a kid i had a few observations done on the baleno. I always felt the rear resembled old beemers and the front looked like maruti alto :tongue:
btw are those foot lamps inside the car?

Thread Starter #12
Congratulations on the acquisition @Mr.Boss! You've managed to find a really clean car.
Thanks Jerwin.
I always felt the rear resembled old beemers and the front looked like maruti alto
100% agreed
There are few Balenos moded with BMW front & Rear end (some were pathetic) From a distance it is quite difficult to distinguish them.
btw are those foot lamps inside the car?
Yes

Thread Starter #13
Guys, please suggest a Key less entry system. Car is already equipped with central lock and only the remote locking system is required. Which is better, Xenos, Autocop or something else? I'm more inclined towards "Right Click" flip key (from rclick.co.uk) but the shipping is more than the product price. Is there any way of getting this product in India?

Thread Starter #14
Got these speakers for some other project, but these may go into Baleno if I'm not satisfied with the current speakers (Pioneer)

IMG_3919.JPG

Suggest me which one is better
JBL GT6-S699 (the one I have)
JBL CX-S697 (Impressed with it's performance on my friend's Figo)

Top Bottom