My Grey Stallion: Honda City 3rd Generation Long-Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I started to look for a new car in December 2009.Basically I wanted to buy a premium hatch.I shortlisted Hyundai i20 and VW polo.By then polo has just came to the market and deliveries haven’t started out yet.So test driven i20 petrol and I was unimpressed with the pickup,though the interiors were gorgeous.

Initially our budget was 7lakh rupees.While we were hunting for our new car,one question arised?why go for a hatchback,whynot a sedan?If we buy a hatchback now it has to be replaced surely within the next 3 or 4 years.Why not go for a bigger car now?So we started looking for a sedan now.

The cars in my mind were SX4, city and Verna.I Had test driven Sx4 and it felt heavy to drive.The visibility is also not that good and overall I was not impressed by it.Verna was ruled out because I wanted a petrol car,and Verna petrol was not as good as diesel car at that time.My previous car was Indica diesel and I had some bad experiences with it.Anyway I am going to do less than 1000km per month so petrol car seemed like an automatic option.

Next option was Honda city.It already won the ICOTY award in 2010.It’s probably the best petrol car you can buy below 10lakh rupees at that time.I had test driven City and fell in love with it.The smooth engine,good acceleration balanced ride and handling sealed the deal.It has great road presence also.But our budget has been exceeded and we went for the lowest variant at that time i.e EMT.The good thing about Honda is every variant has the same I-vtec engine (1.5 l) and same safety features.It’s only in the exteriors,interiors and gadgets there is difference between the variants.I wanted to buy a Honda city badly,It didn’t bother me even if it’s a EMT variant which doesn’t have even Stereo and keyless entry.

Well at that time EMT variant is only available in Grey which is one of my favourite colours,so we booked the same colour.I believe this grey will retain it’s original sheen better than most colours.

The whole process of buying and delivering the car went smoothly.The dealer was co-operative and the sales person was also good.I bought tha car in Jan 2010.At the time of delivery I opted for front,side and rear bumper protectors which cost me almost 15,000 Rupees if I remember correctly.Honda’s accessories are super expensive.Later I bought Front grille and alloy wheels from Honda but only with discount price.

After taking delivery I went to a car accessories shop and bought Autocop Dx remote central locking system.It took almost 1hr for the wiring.Other accessories For my car in the first month are Sony CD player ,sunfilm and seat covers.3M antirust treatment for the car was done at the time of first service.These are the only changes I made for my car in the first 4yrs.

Things I like in Honda City:

Great looking car.Looks like a proper sedan.
Great engine.It is refined and a pleasure to drive.
Easy maneuverability of the car.Makes it easy to drive in the city.Good pickup also,which makes it a pleasure to drive on highways,which is where I do most of my driving.
Handling is OK.There is significant body roll if you take a turn at speed above 50Kmph.
Good stability at high speeds although if you cross 150Kph it’s not confidence inspiring.
Lot of space in the front and in the back.Great boot space as well.
You won’t hear the engine or outside noise at moderate speed.Only if you are going over 100Kph you will hear the outside noise.
Problem free car.I didn’t encounter any problem during my 5 years of ownership.

Things I don’t like ;

No clock in the car.It’s a 9 lakh plus car and there is no clock.I don’t use the CD player that often,so I have to rely on my wrist watch to know the time.It’s a big problem during night driving.
No Automatic climate control.No A/C vents for the rear seats.
Ride quality is somewhat stiff,though not a deal breaker.You can feel most of the pot holes and speed breakers.
Doors don’t lock automatically when you reach a certain speed,some times they lock,other times you have to lock them manually.
The quality of plastic used is not that good.Infact interiors are very ordinary.
Poor ground clearance.After upgrading the tyres it improved marginally.

Some of the modifications I did to my car were inspired by Dr.Mudhan’s Albus,like Rear spoiler,Led lights etc.I didn’t like the front grill of my car and wanted to replace it with Modulo grill.I asked the dealer about that,and they said they didn’t have it in stock.I searched online and it’s available with some online trader,but I didn’t want to risk 15,000 Rs without seeing the quality of the product.Fortunately Pride Honda people called and said the grillis available in discount price.So I decided to go with it.It cost me
14K.
Original grill
WP_20140107_001.jpg

Modulo grill.I believe it brings a great character to my city.

DSC_0464.jpg
DSC_0604.jpg
DSC_0606.jpg

Fog lamps – cost 9k

WP_20140216_007.jpg

Gear knob – cost 1.2k

IMG_20150313_125912.jpg

Chrome tip for silencer – cost 0.8k

DSC_0472.jpg

Parking flashes – cost 1.2 k

IMG_20150515_194807.jpg

Rear LED – cost 0.7k
IMG_20150515_194857.jpg

LED light in the centre

DSC_0612.jpg
IMG_20150515_194646.jpg

Chrome beading for the windows – cost 5k

DSC_0465.jpg
DSC_0470.jpg
DSC_0601.jpg
IMG_20141202_154347.jpg

Chrome beading on the sides – cost 2k

WP_20140131_007.jpg
WP_20140216_005.jpg

After 4 years and almost 40,000 km I changed my stock tyres to Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60/R/15.That proved to be a very good move,as I fely very confident at high speeds after changing the tyres.Ground clearence also improved.Now I can go over normal speed breakers without worrying about scraping the under belly.Pics of my tyres along with the alloy wheels which I got from pride honda after a considerable discount.Thanks again to Dr.Mudhan for bringing this discount to light.

Before alloy wheels

WP_20140107_004.jpg

After alloy wheels
DSC_0468.jpg
WP_20140131_001.jpg

Rear lip spoiler

DSC_0472.jpg
DSC_0473.jpg
IMG_20150715_170852.jpg
WP_20140216_002-1.jpg

A pic of the interior

DSC_0608.jpg
DSC_0610.jpg

Steering cover

IMG_20150313_125931.jpg

Parking sensors

IMG_20150715_170846.jpg
IMG_20150715_170907.jpg
IMG_20150716_063939.jpg

After 5 years of ownership I am a very satisfied Honda owner.Although I bought Mercedes E class this year,my love for honda didn't change.I am using City mainly for day to day use and short trips and I am using E class mainly for high way and long trips.I may buy other cars in the future,but I may never sell this City during my lifetime as it was my first car bought with my own money and there is some emotional attachment with it.Thank you.

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: My Grey stallion – Honda city 3rd generation,long term owner ship review

Things I don’t like ;

Doors don’t lock automatically when you reach a certain speed,some times they lock,other times you have to lock them manually.
The quality of plastic used is not that good.Infact interiors are very ordinary.
Poor ground clearance.After upgrading the tyres it improved marginally.
Hi Dr. Sahab. Me too have a 4 year old EMT CITY IVtec in Urban Titanium. Mine has beige interiors and I personally did not find the interior quality bad. About the door lock, once when ignition is given it automatically locks the door within 30sec. However, if you open any door once when engine is running then the circuit breaks and the doors wont lock automatically and so you need to lock manually. The driver side door has the lock by which all 4 doors lock and unlock. I agree with you on the ground clearance and what I did was I sliced off the front mud-flaps by 2-3 inches and since then it does not scrap on speed breakers 90% of time. Total cost involved was Rs 20/-. The car looks nice and I too have the lip spoiler of same type in my car as well. It is one niggle free car for me. All the very best!

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Re: My Grey stallion – Honda city 3rd generation,long term owner ship review

About the door lock, once when ignition is given it automatically locks the door within 30sec. However, if you open any door once when engine is running then the circuit breaks and the doors wont lock automatically and so you need to lock manually. The driver side door has the lock by which all 4 doors lock and unlock.

Akash
Thanks for the reply.I will check it next time.

dr garu and Akash
The automatic door locking feature is not oem. It must be a third party accessory. It is very irritating, you have to make sure the doors are locked and every time some one gets in or gets off. Really one of the features I miss.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Akash
The automatic door locking feature is not oem. It must be a third party accessory.
Ravi hi, 4 years back, when I bought the car the dealer had put central locking from his end and charged me. So that time I was not told in detail of the features and got to know about it after some time. Maybe the dealer's central locking in my car had activated this type of feature. But all what I wanted to convey was, my car's door lock within 30 sec of ignition.

Regards

Akash

It's very nice to hear about your Honda City. It must be 7 year old work horse by this December? How is the engine and all other mechanicals holding up and how would you rate the cost of ownership incurred till date ? It's very nice to hear about someone keeping their car for a very long time. There will always be a special bond between the man and the machine.

Thread Starter #9
It's very nice to hear about your Honda City. It must be 7 year old work horse by this December? How is the engine and all other mechanicals holding up and how would you rate the cost of ownership incurred till date ? It's very nice to hear about someone keeping their car for a very long time. There will always be a special bond between the man and the machine.
The engine is fine,nothing changed much,atleast I didn't notice any change.Cost of ownership is minimal,it needs service every 6 months.Each service costs 4-5 thousand rupees.It's a problem free car for now.

Hi Dr,
I recently got a City ivtec (pre owned one) in Sapphire blue. I am thinking to add the chrome strips at the doors like yours. I did hit one wall recently and may be next time these can help me alert or take the toil. Also, cosmetically it looks better as well. Could you please give me pointers for (preferably in Chennai, if you know)

1. Door Chrome Stripes
2. Rear parking sensors, with the distance in IRVM (does it need drilling of rear bumper?)
3. Lip Spoiler
4. Led lights (number plate and interior)

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
2. Rear parking sensors, with the distance in IRVM (does it need drilling of rear bumper?)
3. Lip Spoiler
4. Led lights (number plate and interior)
Hi buddy, The rear parking sensors do need to be fixed by drilling the rear bumper. I got them fixed from OEM at time of buying my car. Also I too had a lip spoiler installed in my car till 2 days back but the 3M tape in it gave up after 2.5 years so finally decided to get the entire boot area wrapped in Gloss Black from 3M. As for the lights, you can fix LED in roof lamp (i too have a Blue one in my car) and a pair of Red ones in the number plate light. All LED bulbs bought from Mumbai 3-4 years ago. In Chennai, I just found one option (maybe it can be of help) i.e 'Tune Up Automotive'

Old No-19, New No-7, D-Block, Amsaveni Complex, 5th St, D Block, Annanagar East, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600102
Phone: 044 4260 7732
Regards

Akash

Thank you Akash for the Tuneup address and other info. Will check with them this weekend. Dont know how will i feel seeing my car drilled for sensors :| I am more interested in changing the lights. Will they do the changes if I buy them online and give it to them? Some may not like the way.

Btw, what purpose the 3m Gloss Black serve?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dont know how will i feel seeing my car drilled for sensors I am more interested in changing the lights. Will they do the changes if I buy them online and give it to them? Some may not like the way.

Btw, what purpose the 3m Gloss Black serve?
It will not look bad at all. The shop mechanics will know how to fix the sensors for sure buddy. They'll be having either Silver or Black color rear sensors so would suggest you to go for Black ones only since Silver ones may look out of place with Blue body color. As for the lights, I bought them from Mumbai and got them fixed in Noida. Paid the electrician the labor charge only and let me tell you, replacing OEM bulb with LED one is just a matter of few minutes only. About the Wrap, it actually is for aesthetics and protects paint from minor scratches.

Regards

Akash

@Akash1886, did you buy the spoiler online? Any links or pointers? I would like to have a spoiler but by avoiding as much as drilling as possible.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@Akash1886, did you buy the spoiler online? Any links or pointers? I would like to have a spoiler but by avoiding as much as drilling as possible.
I bought from a car accessories shop in Delhi (Auto Marc, Defence Colony). The lip spoiler does not need any drilling. The spoiler was fixed with 3M tape which lasted for about 2.5 years. Also I didn't get the spoiler painted and just wrapped it up in Black Wrap. The spoiler costed me INR 1750/- and I paid INR 350/- for wrapping. Some pics for you to understand the process buddy![:)]

photo1666.jpg

photo1663.jpg

photo1668.jpg

photo1670.jpg

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom