Mahindra XUV500: Last Hurrah of the Muscular XUV

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone would like to thank all the members of the forum for their support and descriptive threads. Let me start off with the buying decision made.

It all started in 2012 when the ertiga was launched. I still remember seeing it for the first time on the Pune Bangalore highway. I was sold on the looks of it but did not have any plans to buy a new vehicle by then. But it surely planted a seed for the new car. My first car was and still is 2008 Maruti Suzuki Zen estilo. I was pretty satisfied by the overall performance of the car and the comfort. Time passed by and so did I lost my interest in the new vehicle. I used to spot new cars on the road but never with the intention of buying them.

Then around year end of 2013 while coming back from a friends place went to maruti dealership and test drove the Ertiga. The seating position and the comfort in all the 3 rows was excellent. My parents liked it as well. We were even give the exchange rate for our Estilo which I felt was very less. So we dropped the idea.
XUV came into picture.

This was in the month of Jan 2014 when me and my mom were travelling back from our relatives place and we were approaching the toll plaza when an White color XUV zoomed past us , and my mom casually asked me which car it is, I said XUV 500 . She was smitten by the looks of the car and said to me why we are not buying this car instead of ertiga. I looked at my mom and was like no way!! That is way beyond the budget of ertiga. She was like ok by how much?? I explained it to her and then she said ok If we are spending around 9-10 L on Ertiga then y not spend some more and get this.

This was it. The XUV bug bitted me hard. I do a lot of exhaustive research on any new product I buy let it be my Sony home theatre or my phone or a car for that matter. I began my research on the XUV on the net. Went on few forums and watched hours of videos. By this time my dad did not knew about the discussion me and my mom had. He was in blind, So one day while going somewhere we showed the car to dad and the first reaction was this is way too big for our requirement and proposal was rejected then and there. But I kept on my research going on and in the meantime I and my mom started to convince my dad.

Then came JUNE.
By this time my dad was pretty much into the buying of the new car idea. We used to spot the XUVs on the road and used to get happy. Then on day my dad brought a broacher of the car and I was like what?? Where did you get it from? He had gone for the test drive of the car all by himself. Even though he don’t drive the car himself he asked his office car’s driver to drive it .He liked it very much and so did his driver. The reaction of the driver was “mast power hai and solid hai” i.e it has got a lot of power and is built pretty solid. I was the happiest person. Then in the next few months dad went to the showroom plenty of times and even we went to Silver Jubilee Telco road with whole family. I did not test drive the car as it was out for TD.
Came back with the brochure and leaflets, and continued to dig in the niggles thread. That was when I came to know that majority of the issues mentioned in the thread were related to the electronics and the MID. Yes there were few major ones like clutch failure and some designs flaws. But then seeing the response given by the Mahindra which was fabulous. Each and every query and problem was handled quit well by the M&M. Cheers to them for the quick response and the way the way they handled the customers who faced the issues.

Then came October
We went for the TD of XUV to sahiyadri motors on the NH4 but to my disappointment it was closed on Sunday. Why would someone keep their showroom closed on Sunday when all the working class people get this one day off from the daily routine? Despite there being no one in the showroom the door was open. The watchman was present there. So we went inside and had a good look at the display car. I was drooling in the car like a small kid. As I was researching on the car it was now clear that I knew pretty much about the car. I started explain my mom dad the features. They liked them as well. We took some brochure and leaflet and left the showroom without any TD again! I would like to mention that in that half hour o so when we were there we had talk with some 3 to 4 customers who came by to check out the XUV and everyone had the same question why is the showroom closed.
On the way back there was TATA showroom few Kms away, And to our surprise that was open. We went in and enquired about ARIA. The sales person immediately took us on a TD and explained the features of the car. It was the base version of the Aria with only an Analog clock on the dashboard. TD was good but somehow didn’t like the whole look of the vehicle, so dropped the idea of the ARIA.

It was then Jan 2015.
And then my dad dropped the bomb. He had canceled the plan to buy XUV. I and my mom were deeply dis heartened by the news. But we still kept on to convince him. I still kept an eye on all the threads of XUV owners on this as well as other forums. Then came the news of the updated XUV in making, Few spy shots were coming up and I was wondering how are they going to make this car even more better? I know there were few places which needed improvement like last row space and some niggles in the electronics. I kept mum about this and waited for it to be unveiled.

Then came Feb 2015.
I got engaged to my girlfriend on 14 Feb. Everything was all happy happy as my sister was also blessed with a baby boy in the month of November. I started to feel the necessity of a big car in the now grown family. I and my mom were still on the mission to convince my dad. Time passed by and came April and the spy shots started getting clearer and one could make out from the spy shots that the front design was altered. I did not like this as in my opinion it is the front look that gives the XUV its identity and the muscular stance. Anyways It didn’t bother me as the final look was still not out.

May 2015
Everything was going on pretty smooth my sister had bought new Honda Amaze few days back and all was good when the unmasked photos of the XUV came on the net and I was like what!!! According to me they had totally messed the muscular stance of the car by removing the whiskers totally and adding that huge chrome bit near the fog lamp.(No offence to the buyers of the new Version). And then on 25 may the launch happened and I got to see all the changes made to the car. Let’s start with the front as I had already mentioned I did not like it at all as it made the look pretty bland. Then the interiors, I personally like the black dashboard over beige one. And this was according to my liking. But what had they done to the center console? The premium feel of the car had gone, now all that is present are some black buttons over the black plastic. This looked very pale. I read in some reviews that this gave the interior boast in the terms of quality but I failed to understand it. I have read in the forums about the reflection of the silver strips and I think M&M should have tackled this and should have left other things untouched. I liked the now large MID which looked nice. There were also some changes under the hood and to the suspension which was great. But was not somehow sold to the new design of the XUV. This was when I knew I have to act fast and grab the old version ASAP.
I contacted few dealers in pune and asked them about the status of the new XUV arriving to the showroom and also asked them about the old stock and the discount on offer. There was a cash discount of 37k on the older version and that was it. I told my mom as well as my dad that this is the time to buy the old version as in some time when the new ones gets to the showroom they ll b throwing some more discount on the older one.
Then one fine Saturday me and my mom took dad to the sahiyadri motors showroom and showed him the new look of the XUV. And both of them agreed that the old version looked more muscular and mean. This was the first time since last year Jan that I would be actually driving my dream car. This was the W10 variant, Had sunroof and the keyless entry. Test drove it for some 5 kms and liked it. While coming back went to TATA showroom again to enquire about the ARIA and even this time there was no top end variant available on display nor for the TD. Looked at Tata storme. Mom liked the look of the car very much. It had some added accessories and with those DRL’s it looked awesome. Did not TD the car as was not into it due to lack of features and less car like handling.
Came back home and started convincing my dad for the same, we knew we were getting there. The day since we went to the TD of the car back in October there was this lady priyanka from Silver jubilee motors who kept on calling me asking sir kya hua ? when are you planning to buy. One fine day she called and I asked her casually about the old stock, she promptly reverted back with the color options which were White,Black,Red,Silver,Grey. I was overly joyed as silver color was the one we were considering on buying. I quickly went in and told my dad and mom. But then again dad was not convinced and few days went by. This lady calls me back for the follow up and to my disappointment silver color is sold out. I was sad. But then there was a silver lining, it seemed that dad would agree. And then after few days when I was in the office my mom msgs me and says that dad has given green signal. I was extremely happy and on cloud 9 and I Immediately called priyanka and asked for the color options and the discounts on offer. In the mean while I called silver jubilee Camp and no one picked up the phone for 2 days straight. Then I shot an email to the Sales General manager named preeti. She promptly replied to my mail and guaranteed that I would receive a call from the SP the very next day but no one called. I waited for one more day and then called her up and demanded an explanation to which she apologized and transferred my call to Vinod.

The Week.
I had a talk with Vinod and he told me that now there were only 4 colors available(White,Black,Red,Grey) I asked him to msg me the onroad price with all the discount he can throw. Received the msg and to my surprise this was way less than I had expected. I immediately showed this to my dad and got a go ahead.
Deciding on the color.
Now we did not have many choices on the colors as mentioned but then I liked the grey one very much. White and Black was out of the equation as they had beige dashboard and seats which I did not like. This left us with two options RED and GREY. Mom said she wanted to look at both the colors side by side then she would make a decision. Called up vinod and asked if the cars were in the showroom or the stockyard, they were in the stock yard. I requested him for a visit to their stockyard to which he promptly agreed.
13 June 2015
We left home early and went to their showroom in camp. My fiancé accompanied us as well. The stockyard is in fursungi some 15 kms from Camp Pune. We went inside the showroom and was greeted by Vinod. This was when a person named Amol came to talk to us. He was from Bombay R&D team who had worked extensively on the new look of the car. He asked me about my views about the new front look, I was dead honest to him and said sorry but you guys messed it up ! He was happy about my honest opinion. He asked me what features I still miss in the XUV to which I promptly said adjustable middle bench. He laughed and said that this is what we get from many customers but this is not possible at this point of time, it should have been done at the very beginning of the designing phase of the car as doing it now would incur huge cost on redesigning the floor of the car which would hold the middle bench. We had chat for more than half hour about the likes and dislikes after which he took a photo of our family with the Display car and went off.
Then came Vinod and gave us the bummer, Grey color had been allocated to a customer and was not available. Then RED it was. We then went in the TD vehicle. I did not drive the car but chose to sit in the last row instead to get an idea of the sitting comfort. To my surprise it was not that compact and I could sit there comfortably (I am 5.8). The ride in the TD car was pretty good. Vinod was explaining few features on the way. After like 40 min’s drive we arrived at the stockyard. Vinod took the keys to the RED car and we went inside.
IMG_20150613_153027.jpg

IMG_20150613_153023.jpg
We were greeted by a lot of boleros parked in the open ground. Vinod took us to the lot where XUV’s were parked and there I could see the RED color XUV parked at the very end of the lot. This was OUR CAR PERIOD.
at the StockYard
IMG_20150613_154356.jpg

IMG_20150613_155416.jpg

On the way there showed the black color to my fiancé and the interior which it came with (she wanted to go with black) but after looking at the interiors she changed her mind. We closed on to the car and boy it looked awesome. The red color looked prettier in person than on web photos. The Tires were Bridgestone which I liked. Vinod unlocked the car and I hopped in, Inside our would be car. That feeling was great. My fiancé quickly jumped in the passenger seat and looked damn happy. Even my mom dad hopped in and we were inside our very own car. Everyone was busy looking at the car was when I did an inspection of the car. According to the VIN the car was April manufactured Which was ok. ODO read 15 Kms. Took few pics and left the stockyard.
Came back to the showroom and the negotiation started. Vinod was quit adamant on the price he had given which was not bad in the first place. So we did not negotiate on it, called the accessories guy and ticked the items I would like on car.
1. Chrome for headlights, taillights, fog lamps, door handles.
2. Side moldings
3. Reverse camera
4. Floor lamination (Which I later changed my mind and went for 3D mats for good)
Out of all these items only the chrome bits were given free rest we had to pay.
Dad gave out cheque for the booking amount and pending amount was to be collected at our place on Monday. We specifically asked Vinod to bring the TD car with him to see how snugly it fits in the parking. Booking docket was prepared and handed over to us.

Thread Starter #2
Re: XUV500: Last hurrah of the muscular XUV.

The next day sadly we had to go out for a ceremony and could not meet up with vinod. But I asked him to come on Tuesday to pick up the check which he promptly agreed upon. On Tuesday afternoon he came with the TD car and we asked him to park it in our porch. It fits perfectly. Husssshhh… second cheque was given and vinod promised the delivery date on 20th June. And again the long wait began. The whole week I was in constant contact with vinod. And on sat I got a call from him saying that delivery will be as promised and asked for the time we guys will be reaching for the delivery.

Finally it was the D day. My mom had already called up my sister and she was supposed to meet us at the showroom with jiju and baby in her new Honda Amaze. My fiancé reached there as well. We reached there by local and met at the showroom And as we entered the showroom we got the first glance of the car. And boy it was looking killer. I could see the excitement in everyone’s eyes. we were asked to take a seat as there was a delivery ahead of ours. There were total of 4 delivery of XUV on the same day. In the meanwhile I checked on the accessories I asked to fit and they were all in place except for the floor mats. This accessory guy came up with the rubber mats and started laying it in the car. When told that I had opted for the 3D mats he went back and bought the beige color mats which we didn’t like and asked him to get the black color mats. The showroom guys were still up in cleaning process of the car.
Finally it was our turn for the delivery as the other guy did not show up for the delivery ahead of us. Car was bestowed with a Garland and red silk cloth. Pictured below.

IMG_20150620_140601.jpg

IMG_20150620_135428.jpg

IMG_20150620_135616.jpg

IMG_20150620_135635.jpg

IMG_20150620_140858.jpg

IMG_20150620_141757.jpg

IMG_20150620_142356.jpg

Puja was done by everyone. It was nice to see that there were traditional style puneri phetas for the puja. Ganpati idol was presented with the spare key by Preeti GM sales. After this features were described by the guy who seemed to less knowledgeable about the features in the first place. I asked him about the TA button on the center console to which he had no answer and said I ll get back to you on this which he didn’t. Fellow members can put a light on the mystery button. Overall the dealership experience was pretty good. I would rate it 9/10. Documentation was done and we were handed the coupon for 10 liters of diesel and off we were in our new XUV5oo.[drive]
Will Update about the recent trip and my thoughts in few days.

Congrats for buying XUV bro.XUV is one of my favorites under ₹20L and we are planning to buy an XUV soon(presently we own Vento at home).

Congatuations!! Even I had wanted an XUV for a long time, and after TDing a bunch of sedans recently, my family finally relented to go with a big car this time, as none of the sedans were matching our requirement which is not already met by existing cars in our house (2006 Honda City ZX VTEC and 2012 Nissan Sunny XL). We sat down with the owner of Mohan Motors dealership Kolkata yesterday and plan to make payment this week and take delivery on 22nd July which is supposed to be an auspicious day. It will be a purple W8 FWD new model, with bridgestone dueler tyres which is already on display at their salt lake sector 5 dealership branch. I checked the VIN and the car was manufactured in May. Looking forward to the big day!

Thread Starter #7
Dheeraj- Congrats and happy mile munching!! Keep posting updates.
Hey thanks a lot. will be updating about the recent trip in short while.

Congrats for buying XUV bro.XUV is one of my favorites under ₹20L and we are planning to buy an XUV soon(presently we own Vento at home).
Hey You should definitely buy XUV. I have done almost 1200 KM in 3 weeks and can tell you that it is beast. Keep posted when you make the buying decision...[clap]

Congrats and wish you millions of safe miles [:)]
hey thanks alot @kukku.

Congatuations!! Even I had wanted an XUV for a long time, and after TDing a bunch of sedans recently, my family finally relented to go with a big car this time, as none of the sedans were matching our requirement which is not already met by existing cars in our house (2006 Honda City ZX VTEC and 2012 Nissan Sunny XL). We sat down with the owner of Mohan Motors dealership Kolkata yesterday and plan to make payment this week and take delivery on 22nd July which is supposed to be an auspicious day. It will be a purple W8 FWD new model, with bridgestone dueler tyres which is already on display at their salt lake sector 5 dealership branch. I checked the VIN and the car was manufactured in May. Looking forward to the big day!
Ohhh wow !!!! congrats on your purchase.. I agree that no other car comes close to XUV in terms of features and space in the given price bracket. Purple is a good color, it gives an effect of black at night and purple in direct sunlight [cheers]. do post some pictures of the same . [clap]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations man, wish you millions and millions of kilometer on the same.

Let me know if you need any help or any questions. I alos have a Red XUV W8 in Pune itself.

Thread Starter #9
Congratulations man, wish you millions and millions of kilometer on the same.

Let me know if you need any help or any questions. I alos have a Red XUV W8 in Pune itself.
ohhh great.... I have one question though, have you done any paint protection treatment ? maintaitng this color is pain in the *** . I have bought the 3M shampoo as well as 3M microfibre cloth but still can see the swirl marks all over the bonnet. [frustration]

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Mahindra XUV500..Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Hope 2 year search comes to a happy ending.. :):)

The next day sadly we had to go out for a ceremony and could not meet up with vinod. But I asked him to come on Tuesday to pick up the check which he promptly agreed upon. On Tuesday afternoon he came with the TD car and we asked him to park it in our porch. It fits perfectly. Husssshhh… second cheque was given and vinod promised the delivery date on 20th June. And again the long wait began. The whole week I was in constant contact with vinod. And on sat I got a call from him saying that delivery will be as promised and asked for the time we guys will be reaching for the delivery.

Finally it was the D day. My mom had already called up my sister and she was supposed to meet us at the showroom with jiju and baby in her new Honda Amaze. My fiancé reached there as well. We reached there by local and met at the showroom And as we entered the showroom we got the first glance of the car. And boy it was looking killer. I could see the excitement in everyone’s eyes. we were asked to take a seat as there was a delivery ahead of ours. There were total of 4 delivery of XUV on the same day. In the meanwhile I checked on the accessories I asked to fit and they were all in place except for the floor mats. This accessory guy came up with the rubber mats and started laying it in the car. When told that I had opted for the 3D mats he went back and bought the beige color mats which we didn’t like and asked him to get the black color mats. The showroom guys were still up in cleaning process of the car.
Finally it was our turn for the delivery as the other guy did not show up for the delivery ahead of us. Car was bestowed with a Garland and red silk cloth. Pictured below.

View attachment 174819

View attachment 174816

View attachment 174817

View attachment 174818

View attachment 174820

View attachment 174821

View attachment 174822

Puja was done by everyone. It was nice to see that there were traditional style puneri phetas for the puja. Ganpati idol was presented with the spare key by Preeti GM sales. After this features were described by the guy who seemed to less knowledgeable about the features in the first place. I asked him about the TA button on the center console to which he had no answer and said I ll get back to you on this which he didn’t. Fellow members can put a light on the mystery button. Overall the dealership experience was pretty good. I would rate it 9/10. Documentation was done and we were handed the coupon for 10 liters of diesel and off we were in our new XUV5oo.[drive]
Will Update about the recent trip and my thoughts in few days.
Congrats Dheeraj for your new Car. It seem you have purchased your vehicle from "Silver Jubilee" dealer from Pune. Why this dealer has put his name 3 places on rear door? [surprise]

1) Just below 'Mahindra' monogram
2) Last row of rear number plate
3) In top middle of rear glass.

It must be related to their marketing but why is it on our car for which we have already paid 15L -17L? Any idea for this?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Starter #12
Hi,
Congratulations on your new Mahindra XUV500..Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Hope 2 year search comes to a happy ending.. :):)
hey thanks a lot and I would say this is just the beginning of happy journey. [drive]

Congrats Dheeraj for your new Car. It seem you have purchased your vehicle from "Silver Jubilee" dealer from Pune. Why this dealer has put his name 3 places on rear door? [surprise]

1) Just below 'Mahindra' monogram
2) Last row of rear number plate
3) In top middle of rear glass.

It must be related to their marketing but why is it on our car for which we have already paid 15L -17L? Any idea for this?

Thanks in advance.
I seem to see only one below the monogram. [confused]

may be one on the rear glass but that is just a sticker which can be removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohhh great.... I have one question though, have you done any paint protection treatment ? maintaitng this color is pain in the *** . I have bought the 3M shampoo as well as 3M microfibre cloth but still can see the swirl marks all over the bonnet. [frustration]
Maintaining this paint is definitely an issue and no matter what you do Swirl Marks are bound to appear.

As of now I dont have any paint protection on it. I use a car wash and thereafter a layer of Carnauba Car wax. planning to give the Car to professional detailers after evey couple of years to get rid of the swirls. Have asked Car cupid for the same the price looks reasonable for one session, they are asking for 3400Rs

hey thanks a lot .... and I would say this is just the beginning of happy journey...[drive]

I seem to see only one below the monogram....[confused]
may be one on the rear glass but that is just a sticker which can be removed....
I had specifically told Kundan Motors to not put any of the Kundan Motors sticker on the car during delivery.

Belated congrats Dheeraj on your new beast. Your car really looks good in the red trim but somehow the car dealer is using the car to market themselves by putting in those stickers. Kindly get those removed as soon as possible as the stickers are still new. I got all the dealer specific stickers removed during the first wash itself. Also every time I give my car for service I specifically instruct them not to put any stickers.

Thread Starter #15
Maintaining this paint is definitely an issue and no matter what you do Swirl Marks are bound to appear.

As of now I dont have any paint protection on it. I use a car wash and thereafter a layer of Carnauba Car wax. planning to give the Car to professional detailers after evey couple of years to get rid of the swirls. Have asked Car cupid for the same the price looks reasonable for one session, they are asking for 3400Rs
What all is included in this session? If its good then even i can join you.

Belated congrats Dheeraj on your new beast. Your car really looks good in the red trim but somehow the car dealer is using the car to market themselves by putting in those stickers. Kindly get those removed as soon as possible as the stickers are still new. I got all the dealer specific stickers removed during the first wash itself. Also every time I give my car for service I specifically instruct them not to put any stickers.
Thanks a lot... and ya i would get them removed [;)]

Top Bottom