My New Sedan: Tata Zest Revotron XM Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Say welcome to my new family member TATA Zest in Sky Grey.

zestishere.jpg
I love its front. Front chrome grill installed for Rs 3000. But it is worth the price and makes Zest a definite head turner.
getting key.jpg
Me (With my wife and broter) getting keys from TATA dealership Patiala. Very nice experience, welcoming and 'Happy to Help' people.
out house.jpg
Parked outside my Nest
driver side.jpg
A view from Pilot side. It looks great from all the angles, specially in this colour IMO.
pessanger side.jpg
A view from the passenger side.
back side.jpg
Back side view. My lucky charm my daughter Amber is standing besides it.
interior front.jpg
A plush feel, isn't it. Everything is in order. Nothing to complaint about. Moreover, every item works perfectly.
interior front seats.jpg
Welcoming entrance. I am 6 feet and the headroom makes me feel shorter. Everyone praised the headroom.
interior seats.jpg
Enjoy the ride. Ample of legroom. Makes you feel like sitting in an SUV[clap]

Why Zest::
I am a huge fan of TATAs specially Mr Ratan Tata. From the very beginning I had a crush on this company. My first car was an Indica, Second was TATA Safari Dicor 3L, Third was again an Indica, Fourth however was a Skoda Fabia. I worked for 2 years in TATA Interactive System before moving to my own business.

I was waiting for a long time for the concept cars by TATA and one day I came to know about the Falcon. Since then I was following it till the day it was launched as Zest. And wallah! I was happy that at last TATA has brought something that they could have done a long time ago. It is a world class product. I wanted to have it straight away but my pocket didn't allow me then and I was driving Skoda. But now I felt I am capable to fulfill my dream and I went for it. XM is right in my approach and Petrol car I wanted to have this time as my daily up and down is around 15 KMS on country side.

So went to Patiala showroom, had a test drive. First experience was shocking, 100% dissatisfaction with the ride (Prob was with test car). I said no with a heavy heart, but then they gave me a brand new car from the storage, drove it and loved it. I booked it straight away. Got my black beauty on Tuesday.

What I have liked so far::
  1. Great look all over, inside and outside.
  2. Nice driving behaviour on the road. Had driven it for 500 KMs only till now but overall satisfied.
  3. Happy to see the computer doing its part very well. It is controlling the new engine and the Average FE. The FE started from 9KMs, after every KM it kept increasing and by the end off 500 mark it went upto 13 KMPL. (I am an 80-120 KMPH person so the FE upto 15-16 will be good for me)
  4. Music system is simply great. My Skoda had a cool music system, but Harman beats it.
  5. Projector head lamps and the front grill gives a very royal feel.
  6. AC is chiller man. In a very hot day it didn't went beyond 2 mark.
  7. Engine is in birth conditions so I don't want to play with it yet, therefore cannot comment on cornering and throttle responses. Let it pass 4000 mark and then the magic of hands and legs will workout together [evil]
Each coin has two sides [:)]
  • I think Turbo response is not how it should be. It should fly when the RPM reaches 1800 but it is not yet happening that way for me. Sudden overtaking in Eco or City mode on a highway is a challenge.
  • In City mode I felt a sudden drop of speed(as a misfire) when it reached 90, like the ECU stops it. But in Sports mode it works fine. (I can still feel some misfire kind of feeling sometimes even in Sports mode).
  • TATA is famous for leaving some marks, for me it is fit and finishing of some parts including mat, only 1 cup holder, 0 bottle holders in door pockets, No proper Arm rest for any passenger and more.

Overall I am very very happy to have it. Its a dream come true for me.

If you have a Revotron, please let me know if you felt the same problems in the early days as I mentioned.
Love u all
Amrinder

Thread Starter #3
Re: My new sedan TATA ZEST Revotron XM

Thanks a lot @MSJAWAHAR

The 'TATA motors' stickers in the rear number plate looks bit odd. Try to peel it off.
Yes it does. Actually its temporary, Once I will get my RC, I will go for a High Security plate.

congratulation for your new ride.wish you more happy miles.happy to see person from my region and near by my city by the way i am from rajpura
what about the quality of Bluetooth audio on phone calls

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

congratulation for your new ride.wish you more happy miles.happy to see person from my region and near by my city by the way i am from rajpura
what about the quality of Bluetooth audio on phone calls
Thanks Jony.
I am from Patran.
I didn't try the Bluetooth function yet due to busy schedule. I will try it today and will revert back.

Congrates Amrinderji for your beauty...

Hope she will ride you miles ahead. The front grille looks very premium. have you fixed it at dealer itself or from outside mechanic?

Keep posting your beauty..

Heartiest congratulations on the car, Amrinder paaji! [:)] Very well written review, with good set of pictures to compliment. The first one was an absolute teaser! Wish you lots and lots of happy drives in the Zest.

The car looks really nice in this shade, and the chrome grill takes the oomph to an all-new level. Did you get the grill at the dealer end or bought it yourself (and installed through dealer)? Here in Faridabad (in Chandigarh also), 9 out of 10 Swifts have this chrome grill. But, you would have to be really careful with the grill, the chrome doesn't last long and if you wash the car with hard water (or drive in slush or rains), then the chrome may not hold up very well. It would be better to get a polish (made especially for chrome trims).

Regards,
Nikunj

Say welcome to my new family member TATA Zest in Sky Grey.

View attachment 173018
I love its front. Front chrome grill installed for Rs 3000. But it is worth the price and makes Zest a definite head turner.
View attachment 173019
Me (With my wife and broter) getting keys from TATA dealership Patiala. Very nice experience, welcoming and 'Happy to Help' people.
View attachment 173020
Parked outside my Nest
View attachment 173021
A view from Pilot side. It looks great from all the angles, specially in this colour IMO.
View attachment 173022
A view from the passenger side.
View attachment 173023
Back side view. My lucky charm my daughter Amber is standing besides it.
View attachment 173024
A plush feel, isn't it. Everything is in order. Nothing to complaint about. Moreover, every item works perfectly.
View attachment 173025
Welcoming entrance. I am 6 feet and the headroom makes me feel shorter. Everyone praised the headroom.
View attachment 173026
Enjoy the ride. Ample of legroom. Makes you feel like sitting in an SUV[clap]

Why Zest::
I am a huge fan of TATAs specially Mr Ratan Tata. From the very beginning I had a crush on this company. My first car was an Indica, Second was TATA Safari Dicor 3L, Third was again an Indica, Fourth however was a Skoda Fabia. I worked for 2 years in TATA Interactive System before moving to my own business.

I was waiting for a long time for the concept cars by TATA and one day I came to know about the Falcon. Since then I was following it till the day it was launched as Zest. And wallah! I was happy that at last TATA has brought something that they could have done a long time ago. It is a world class product. I wanted to have it straight away but my pocket didn't allow me then and I was driving Skoda. But now I felt I am capable to fulfill my dream and I went for it. XM is right in my approach and Petrol car I wanted to have this time as my daily up and down is around 15 KMS on country side.

So went to Patiala showroom, had a test drive. First experience was shocking, 100% dissatisfaction with the ride (Prob was with test car). I said no with a heavy heart, but then they gave me a brand new car from the storage, drove it and loved it. I booked it straight away. Got my black beauty on Tuesday.

What I have liked so far::
  1. Great look all over, inside and outside.
  2. Nice driving behaviour on the road. Had driven it for 500 KMs only till now but overall satisfied.
  3. Happy to see the computer doing its part very well. It is controlling the new engine and the Average FE. The FE started from 9KMs, after every KM it kept increasing and by the end off 500 mark it went upto 13 KMPL. (I am an 80-120 KMPH person so the FE upto 15-16 will be good for me)
  4. Music system is simply great. My Skoda had a cool music system, but Harman beats it.
  5. Projector head lamps and the front grill gives a very royal feel.
  6. AC is chiller man. In a very hot day it didn't went beyond 2 mark.
  7. Engine is in birth conditions so I don't want to play with it yet, therefore cannot comment on cornering and throttle responses. Let it pass 4000 mark and then the magic of hands and legs will workout together [evil]
Each coin has two sides [:)]
  • I think Turbo response is not how it should be. It should fly when the RPM reaches 1800 but it is not yet happening that way for me. Sudden overtaking in Eco or City mode on a highway is a challenge.
  • In City mode I felt a sudden drop of speed(as a misfire) when it reached 90, like the ECU stops it. But in Sports mode it works fine. (I can still feel some misfire kind of feeling sometimes even in Sports mode).
  • TATA is famous for leaving some marks, for me it is fit and finishing of some parts including mat, only 1 cup holder, 0 bottle holders in door pockets, No proper Arm rest for any passenger and more.

Overall I am very very happy to have it. Its a dream come true for me.

If you have a Revotron, please let me know if you felt the same problems in the early days as I mentioned.
Love u all
Amrinder
Congrats on your new acquisition!

Zest is an Awesome Car!!

The chrome Grills look sexy.

Wish you many happy miles ahead..

I own Quadrajet XT bought on May 2015 and is enjoying the beast!!

Thread Starter #13
Heartiest congratulations on the car, Amrinder paaji! [:)] Very well written review, with good set of pictures to compliment. The first one was an absolute teaser! Wish you lots and lots of happy drives in the Zest.

The car looks really nice in this shade, and the chrome grill takes the oomph to an all-new level. Did you get the grill at the dealer end or bought it yourself (and installed through dealer)? Here in Faridabad (in Chandigarh also), 9 out of 10 Swifts have this chrome grill. But, you would have to be really careful with the grill, the chrome doesn't last long and if you wash the car with hard water (or drive in slush or rains), then the chrome may not hold up very well. It would be better to get a polish (made especially for chrome trims).

Regards,
Nikunj
Thanks for compliment Niku,

I will certainly take care of Chrome grill and will find some better polish for it [:)]

Congrates Amrinderji for your beauty...

Hope she will ride you miles ahead. The front grille looks very premium. have you fixed it at dealer itself or from outside mechanic?

Keep posting your beauty..
Thanks Dear.

I had chrome done through the dealership only just minutes before the keys were handed over. I also had the chrome door trims through them. The Grill costed me Rs. 3000 and Door Handle Covers for Rs. 700.

Congrats on your new acquisition!

Zest is an Awesome Car!!

The chrome Grills look sexy.

Wish you many happy miles ahead..

I own Quadrajet XT bought on May 2015 and is enjoying the beast!!
Hello Arjun,

Thanks, When I was looking for the Zest Sky Grey over the net, your pic with the car was the first to come in front of me. I also read your and other reviews before reaching on final decision to buy this beauty. So thanks for being my mentor [clap]

Congrats...The chrome grill is slick and adds a new character to Zest and breaks the monotony. The appeal is classic. wish you safe and happy mile munching. Enjoy the ride and be lenient on it till the run in period ( and I know its hard having the beast at 90 ps with much higher torque )

Owning a revotron XT and enjoying every second in it.

Thread Starter #15
View attachment 173291
Enjoying a rainy day. I had just dont 150 more KMS. It is getting smooth, FE increased from 13 KMPL to 13.2 KMPL all done under Sports mode.
* Missed back glass wiper in heavy rain.
* Didn't installed mud flap yet. Now I think I have to.
* FM radio works very well. Even in remote areas.
* Gear changing is smooth yet you can hear a click when changed.
* Found a little play in front pessanger side window glass.
Stay blessed and intouch all.
C ya

Top Bottom