The Beast is Born in Sky Grey: My Tata Zest XT Diesel!!

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first Review in Automotiveindia.

I bought my Tata Zest XT diesel!! on May 4 2015, below I am sharing my experience on : search for the right car / buying experience and the the review on the car after completing 1300 KM.

The hunt for a perfect car started on 2014 June.

My choices where: Dizire, Hyundai xcent and Duster. Amaze was no where in the consideration due to its poor interiors and Design Flaw and hydro-lock issues.

I did multiple test drives of all the above 3 cars. The dealers where very friendly in offering me test drives. On the 1st week of August I almost confirmed Hyundai xcent as the best from the 3.

On the 2nd week of August the Beat was Launched!! Yes, the Tata Zest is launched on 12 August.

I was shocked to see such a car from Tata and was too proud that it is an Indian Brand.

I contacted all the Tata Dealers in Bangalore for a Test Drive but got the test drive only on September 1st week due to non availability of the car.

I did 12 test drives on Tata Zest from September 2014 to Feb 15.
4 with Concorde
2 with KHT
6 with Preranamotors

After the test drives the above 3 cars were not at all there in my mind.

I am impressed with the significant improvement in the fit and finish of the Zest. This car is not cheap looking and should enable Tata to claw back some market share.

Interior Quality is VERY VERY GOOD, none of the sedans come close to it!!
The most attractive feature in the car is the all new touchscreen Harman Music System.

I confirmed this is the car that I am going to buy on Feb 2015 and decided to go for the top end XT diesel, by that time the car has won various awards like :
award_banner.jpg

I confirmed the dealer from whom I was going to buy the car it is Preranamotors. They were outstanding in my test drive experiences compared to others. I also demanded them that I need a April/May 15 manufactured Car as it comes with GPS Navigation. My Sales guy name is Sandeep from Preranamotors(BTM LAY OUT). He assured me that he will deliver me only a April/May 15 manufactured Car. I payed the booking amount of 21000 on April 22. I was given a waiting time of 14 days as the car has to come from the plant in Pune.

The price was 890000 including b to b insurance and accessors/mats. I also got the 333 Confidence!

On April 25 I goth the call from the dealer that the car is manufactured and shipped from Pune!!! I was really exited to hear that.

I demanded the sales guy a PDI of the car once it reached Bangalore. He told me that the Car will be unloaded from the truck at Tumkur (outskirts of Bangalore) and that he will take me to that place for the PDI.
On April 27 we went to PDI and did a through PDI of the car as per the PDI check list. The Dealer have their go down there and I was able to see lots of Zest/nano and other Tata Cars there.

Yes, I checked the VIN number and Yes I have got a April Manufactured 2015 model.
Did the PDI and all awesome!!
I also checked the Mib kit and it was also installed by default.
Here are some pictures from the place of PDI:

T.jpg
R.jpg
Q.jpg
P.jpg
Next is the Delivery!!!
As per me the auspicious day for car delivery was May 4, informed the Sales Guy the Same and he assured me that all the registration process will be done by then and that I can take the Car on May 4 by 10 AM.

The Delivery process was very smooth, there was no urgency shown by the dealer. The Sales guy explained all the features of the car to me in detail. I got my best by 10 on May 4.

Here are few pictures from the delivery and the sales guy:
Sales man Sandeep.jpg

Nice rd.jpg
20150507_121007-compressed.jpg

Got my Car and started enjoying the Zest.
It is an awesome car well blended by Tata. The music system is amazing!!
In short it is a luxury Car by an Indian manufacturer. It has all the features that you will dream for!!

There is not even 1 dislike that I have found in it till now.

I have complete 1300 till now including city and Highway. The maximum FE that I got in a trip in highway 920 km is 27.5 and the least is 25.3.
The overall FE including 300 km in city not crossing 2nd gear and highway is 21.9 which is an awesome number that none of the other Sedans can challenge!

I am very Satisfied with the Car and will surely recommend Zest and my dealer Preranamotors for all.
If any one is looking for purchasing Zest go for it! There is no other better car than this launched or yet to be launched.

Let me also share the phone number of My Sales Guy: Sandeep 9902799446. You can call him for any help on Zest in Bangalore!

I have also attached some of the photos of the car and also the foam wash that I did once I completed 1000KM.

20150527_063737-compressed.jpg

20150527_063743-compressed.jpg

20150527_063747-compressed.jpg

20150527_063808-compressed.jpg

20150522_180704-compressed.jpg

20150507_173458-compressed.jpg

20150526_231328-compressed.jpg

20150526_231500-compressed.jpg

photo0136-compressed.jpg

photo0137-compressed.jpg

photo0138-compressed.jpg

photo0139-compressed.jpg

20150526_231315-compressed.jpg

20150507_173617-compressed.jpg

20150507_185311-compressed.jpg

20150522_140317-compressed.jpg

20150522_140321-compressed.jpg

20150522_140328-compressed.jpg

20150527_032812-compressed.jpg

If you all have an queries please reply back and I will be happy to answer you all.

Completed 10000 KM!!

The +ve points about the car are
1. The car is very stable at high speeds, curves and also on uneven roads. We feel confident in every drive.
2. Delivering good mileage on all surfaces.
3. Very spacious often felt the difference between Zest and my dads Dzire when it was fully loaded. Zest has plenty of legroom for the back seat passengers.
4. The music system is awesome! It is the best. The GPS/Maps also works fine.
5. The suspension is solid and is smooth in all the terrains.

I have not faced any issues with the Zest and this has made my belief in TATA really strong. They are capable of producing cars of top notch quality . The 2016 Auto Expo also showcased the HEXA, NEXON and KITE 5. All look Awesome in terms of Design and features.

The -ve that I felt that TATA should work on Zest are:.

1. Should increase the number of bottle holder as Zest has just a tray under the rear passengers seat.
2. Providing a arm rest will be a nice option as it takes the car to a different level and also is a comfort for the driver.

Thank You!!

Attachments

Last edited:
hi,
congrats for your new ride,the mileage figures given by you are extremely good.I don't think any other diesel cars in this forum claimed such good figures.After 1st oil change,it is going to improve further.wishing you happy miles ahead.

Congratulations arjun, I must say your beast is really beauty, Also you are getting a great mileage has TATA done something in there April production to increase mileage of the car

Congrats, and I really envy your FE numbers. I get 17 in the city (90% AC use) and 21 on the highway, after 8500 km on the odo, which is ~1 km/l better than what the new car used to give.

Congratulations on the Zest, mparjun5! The car looks beautiful in that shade. And that was a good quick review, although biased to some extent. [:)]

The FE figures you are getting are phenomenally good, brother. Are they from the MID or tankful method? I doubt that you would be getting 25+ kmpl in a new car. If true then I am booking a driving class from you to learn about that excellence in driving! :stupid: (And this comment is from a guy who gets nothing above 15 kmpl in his Diesel Liva)

Anyway, wish you many happy miles with the Zest. Have you planned any upgrades?

EDIT: Just saw that those figures were from the MID. You need to confirm through a tankful calculation though. Do share your driving style if you are actually getting that FE from the car!

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Congratulations on the Zest, mparjun5! The car looks beautiful in that shade. And that was a good quick review, although biased to some extent. [:)]

The FE figures you are getting are phenomenally good, brother. Are they from the MID or tankful method? I doubt that you would be getting 25+ kmpl in a new car. If true then I am booking a driving class from you to learn about that excellence in driving! :stupid: (And this comment is from a guy who gets nothing above 15 kmpl in his Diesel Liva)

Anyway, wish you many happy miles with the Zest. Have you planned any upgrades?

EDIT: Just saw that those figures were from the MID. You need to confirm through a tankful calculation though. Do share your driving style if you are actually getting that FE from the car!

Regards,
Nikunj
Hi Niku,

Thank you for your wishes.

My driving style is between 60-80 below 2000 RPM with no sudden acceleration and brakes.

Yes, I will keep updating the thread.

Congratulations on the new acquisition of your brand new Tata Zest! This is one car from the Tata stable, that proves they can design and build good ''feature loaded and practical'' cars.
Wish you happy kilometers in this beast and may it serve you without any hassles.[thumbsup]

Top Bottom