Wagon R LXi CNG: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Foremost Disclaimer: The car detailed below is owned by TAI member and my dear friend Mr. Sudhanshu.

Wagon R Lxi Variant With CNG

Friends,

It is always a dream for anyone to purchase a car and definitely it adds to the owner's pride. Mr. Sudhanshu, is a dear friend of mine and also associated to our forum. He got the delivery of the new White Wagon R Lxi model yesterday from PASCO Motor in Gurgaon. Both of us had started to search for a new hatchback for him in mid-April 2015 and the cars considered were Wagon R and Swift (Hatchback). Prior to finalizing on the new Wagon R, we also gave a look on the Maruti True Value cars and came across 2011-2014 make Dzire Swift but the price and the conditions of those cars were not matching hence we dropped the idea of buying a used car.

Then, Sudhanshu thought of buying the new Wagon R through CSD since his father used to be in the Armed Forces. So after discussion at his end he finally decided to buy the new Wagon R. At home in Agra, he owns another Wagon R which is about 8 years old and should be sold in near future. Apart from this new Wagon R, he at present also owns a Maruti Alto and that too is LXi. The reason why he stuck with the Maruti brand is because his father and he himself feel comfortable in owning this brand and have so far not faced any hassle with any other Maruti Vehicle in their house.

Now, what's my role in this car? Well, firstly I accompanied him during purchase decision, secondly, he is a dear friend and also stays at my home only as he is working with a reputed educational institute in Noida. So, during the purchase, he used to inform me about the proceedings and finally when yesterday he took delivery, me and my driver took the car to the temple for the Puja with him.

20150520_194137.jpg

Why am I writing on his behalf?

* He is engaged in professional commitments and writing about the new car is at present difficult for him.

* I love to write as is known and writing about cars adds an icing to the cake[:D]

20150520_192644.jpg

The car as mentioned above was purchased from PASCO Gurgaon, but the delivery as planned got a bit delayed since the bank from which the DD was made had wrong name of beneficiary and this mistake worked in his favor as apart from saving from less taxes in Haryana, he also got additional discount of Rs. 10,000. Finally, when yesterday I got to see this new car, I was really happy and Sudhanshu's happiness knew no limits. Sudhanshu, as I have known is really down to earth person with practical thinking. While we were in phase of deciding the car for him, I told him, if you want to buy a Swift then buy the VDi one which has ABS and Airbags. There is no point in going in for a base model since it offers no safety.

He told me that the car that he intends to purchase, shall be used at his home in Agra and driven by his dad. So, for that purpose, a petrol/CNG version is OK and he does not want to invest beyond 5 Lacs for the new car due to budget constrains and needs a hatchback most preferably. So, sub-4m cars were ruled out too. In his opinion, out of Swift and Wagon R, the latter felt much better and properly fits his budget.

wagon R.jpg

From the dealer, Sudhanshu also purchased the Alpine Music System with remote and the central locking for the car. He intends to get good speakers from the market for the same. He is not much into accessories, so all he plans to buy apart from speakers is the gear lock.

20150520_192422.jpg

# Continued in next post.

Regards

Akash

Re: Wagon R Lxi CNG: Ownership Review.

Congrats Mr.Sudhanshu for their new acquisition.

WagonR is indeed the most practical car in its budget. I too own a WagonR but in petrol ( no CNG available in our state [frustration] ). Here is my ownership review.

Wishes to clock many more miles without any hassle [:)]

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member

External Impression about the new face-lift Maruti Wagon R

Since there is one pre-facelift Maruti Wagon R owned by my tenant, so, looking at both I find this new Wagon R a lot better in terms of external looks and with time I feel the design of the car has improved without adding any unwanted edges and curves. The tall boy design of the car looks good and the White shade does help in accentuating the looks of the car. I must tell him though, that White color is really difficult to maintain. The one thing that caught my attention was the Blue light in the headlamps. It reminded me of the Honda CITY ZX version which use to have a Blue parking light in its headlamps.

20150520_192455.jpg

Impression about the interiors of the face-lift Wagon R​

When I first sat in the car yesterday, the interiors I felt were very nicely done considering the fact that its an LXi version. I am really impressed with the interior quality. The positives of Interiors according to me are:

* Adjustable headrests.

* 2-tone dash board looks sleek and well finished.

* Great driving posture. I really love the driving position and ingress/egress of this hatchback.

* Provision of AC as standard along with front power window and power steering.

* Legroom is good.

* In-cabin noise is considerably reduced and NVH levels also felt really mellowed down.

The cabin does look pretty decently done up in my opinion.

20150520_192316.jpg

20150520_192325.jpg

20150520_192207.jpg

20150520_192223.jpg

20150520_192252.jpg

20150520_192233.jpg

20150520_192301.jpg

20150520_192158.jpg

20150520_193655.jpg

* Continued in next post.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member

The Ride and Braking Experience

While taking the car for the Puja yesterday, I sat as a passenger in front and Sudhanshu drove it. The car was driven for about 5-6 kms at a speed of 50-55 km/h reason being it is actually the initial run period. So at 50 km/h I found the ride of the car to be smooth with gear shift being really well-meshed. I as a passenger did not feel any jerk during gear shifts which added to the comfortable rides over all. Another significant thing that I noticed is that at big speed breakers the car easily passes without any scrapping and that's when I actually realized the positive aspect of tall boy design.

If I talk of the braking, then even in absence of ABS the braking at normal speed of 50-60 km/h is good enough and the car does not steer to right or left while braking.

20150520_193725.jpg

20150520_193017.jpg

20150520_193006.jpg

20150520_192955.jpg

20150520_193024.jpg

20150520_192145.jpg

What I felt good about the new Wagon R

* Headlamp beam throw during night/late evening looks powerful.

* Roof Rails provided in LXi version

* Horn is pretty loud and audible

* Good ground clearance.

* Roof mounted external stop lamp.

* AC cooling is really good.

20150520_193705.jpg

20150520_192354.jpg

What I did not like

* The gap between the wheel and the wheel-arc

* The ORVM is pretty brittle

* No safety features except seat belt.

* Tyre(s) are bit skinny.

* No Wheel-caps given.

* Wipers as usual are pretty thin.

20150520_192718.jpg

20150520_192431.jpg

20150520_192601.jpg

* Continued in next post.

Regards

Akash

@Akash1886:
Excellent write-up, as always! [:)] Nicely compiled and crisp way of writing made this a good read. I agree on the NVH part, anyone who has sat inside previous gen WagonRs would feel very impressed with the capabilities of the new generation car.

@Mr. Sudhanshu:
Congratulations on the new car! Wish you lots and lots of happy driving in your WagonR. Nice color choice. How much did the HU cost? And regarding the gear lock, don't go for MGA one, they overcharge and their installation was also not upto the mark, I got it done in my Dzire for 2k in Aug 2014. The prices are lower outside. Investing in wheelcaps will also improve the look very much. They are available for Rs.500/600 for 4 outside.

One Question:

Swift base models didn't offer safety, but the WagonR Lxi CNG also doesn't have any safety features. If your Dad was okay with Petrol and CNG both, you could have stretched a bit and got the Vxi ABS (and Airbags) instead.

@Akash
Thanks for posting a review on my behalf. I would like to add the comparative pros of this car (wrt previous WagonR):
1. Negligible cabin noise
2. Better driving experience
3. Space for speaker in doors
4. Front power windows
5. Overall interiors, when clubbed with a good looking music player

@Nike
Why I bought a WagonR from civil instead of Swift LXi from CSD?
There a new rule from GoI that an Army officer can buy 2 cars in an interval of atleast 4 years in between. And we are planning to buy another one for me (replacement of ALto 800 CNG) in next year or so.

@ALL
Thanks for reading this thread. Double thumbs-up for WagonR

Regards
Sudhanshu

OOPs... I forget to tell you guys that

Amongst all Maruti Suzuki CNG variants. Only Celerio CNG is available through CSD across India. (FYI plz)

Last edited by a moderator:

@Niku

The HU cost aprox 6k +/- (as I guess), Comes Bluetooth Hands free feature and the Mic usually mounted nearly driver sun protector guard/cover.

Bluetooth only for Hands free function only - No Music streaming though.

@Arijitb:

My guess would be at around 8/10k. Maruti has overpriced its accessories very badly. In Aug 2014, they were charging 20k for Swift Zxi' HU, front Components and rear round coaxials. Let Sudhanshu confirm. When enquired for the HU alone (it didn't have Bluetooth facility then) they quoted 12k. [frustration]

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Bluetooth Hands free feature and the Mic usually mounted nearly driver sun protector guard/cover.
Absolutely, I too saw a small Black Mic mounted on right top corner just near the front pillar from inside.

* The Wagon R now has new seat cover, floor mats, speakers, gear lock and front and rear bumper guards to protect it from Agra's traffic. Total expense was around 10K.

Regards

Akash

I would like to add a point-
Inbuilt head units(Stock ones as in swift),having bluetooth feature,their mic is placed inside the front cabin light setup.
Any aftermarket ones or ones fitted with accesories usually have their mic in inside b pillar sides.

Top Bottom