Renault Duster (Woodland Brown): From 170 mm To 200 mm+ On-Board

Thread Starter #1
Ok folks, I finally took the plunge, or the jump, from the 170mm to 200mm+ territory!

Prologue: I was very comfortable driving my Fiat Linea T-Jet on a regular basis, and then also added an automatic (Nissan Micra CVT) to my stable to handle the daily urban crawl. The Linea was relegated to occasional out-of-city and long distance drives.
So why move into the high GC crossover/SUV regime ?
This, for me, is akin to asking, why do men climb mountains ? There is simply no good answer to that question.
I always had a plan to move up from the Linea. Did I truly exploit the T-Jet's potential ? Not quite, to be honest. I always felt the car was in its best elements on fast, smooth highways, aka not-so-indian conditions. My mom always felt the Linea feels sturdy, but a bit too stiff for high speed driving. It IS more of a drivers car, no doubt. Another thing I realised after a few recent trips, that sitting slightly higher up while doing long distance driving, to me atleast, was a bit more advantageous as compared to sitting low down. The view and comfort is much better. Now began the search for an alternative.
And there werent too many in the 12-15 lac regime.

Choices
I test drove:
1) XUV5OO:

Positives- space, 7 seat flex (albeit at the cost of bootspace), high view, gizmos.

Negatives : (After multiple test drives) - ride quality, handling, a certain cumbersome feeling about the dimensions in terms of manueverability . Also, the gearshift didnt seem to be too intuitive, nor was the clutch operation very smooth.

2) Duster AWD:
Positives- Ride, Ride & Ride[:D] ! Man, it just feels something else on bad roads. Additional positive was the available 4x4 option.
Negatives- Price, and some doubts about ability to handle the servicing of this shift-on-fly transmission, given that AWD forms a miniscule % of Duster sales. And then the usability proposition on a real-world basis. I wasnt about to scramble over rocks and cross river beds as such. So why the fuss?
There are other positives/negative which are common to the FWD Duster which I have mentioned further below.

3) FWD Duster:
Positives: Ride , compact outside-spacious inside feeling, useable boot space, decent city manueverability, excellent pickup and fuel economy, Media Nav system (shared with AWD).

Negatives: Manual Aircon[anger], seat height adjust.

I had a bit of a toss up between the XUV W6 and the Duster 110 RXZ for some time. The XUV does score on space and features (minus the NAV system). In the end, I settled for the 110 RXZ Plus (woodland Brown), without Rear AC. I did test drive the 85 PS version, but I felt the 110 would be just that much better in terms of performance. Besides, on a lighter note, I didnt want to harbour guilt feelings of "downgrading " from the T-Jet engine specs [;)]
So, Duster FWD it was, finally.

Others:
Nissan Terrano: My feeling is that with the 2015 Duster, the Terrano price premium is not worth it. There is a visible difference to the 2015 Duster and the 2014 one, and couldnt justify spending even 50000 extra for the Nissan grille. Besides, i would have to contend with that Rear AC contraption in the Terrano 110, which is plain uncomfortable for the 5th passenger. What I also get is the fact that the 2015 Duster has the same engine tune as the Duster AWD, so not much of a turbo lag, and the clutch is lighter too! So driving comfort is definitely better than the Terrano.
Storme: Too bulky for my liking. I would have to keep a retractable step-ladder for my mom to even climb onboard, inspite of the side ladder ! And then it suffers from lack of economy too. And no music system or even a basic MID ! Am not impressed with the facelift Storme either.

Not interested in the Avventura or Ecosport as they are one size smaller than the class of vehicles I have tested above.

Buying Experience: In a word: "disappointing". I did not like the fact that there was lack of internal coordination amongst the staff at Renault Baner, resulting in too many interventions by their Lead/Manager . They were all a bit engrossed in the Lodgy, although almost every day that I visited the showroom there was atleast 1 Duster in "delivery " mode.
Initial Impressions Anyway, it has been a couple of days since I took the delivery, and I am really enjoying the drive. The engine is quite smooth (after an initial 2-3 minute clatter). I took her out on the old NH4 ,to stir up her 110 horses and boy does she perform ! Am a bit conservative right now, keeping it below the 2500 rpm regime as stipulated in the manual.
But yes, my parents are delighted that they no longer feel bumps and potholes at all. And it is geniunely wider inside than the Linea.
Do I miss the Linea T-Jet ? Yes- I do miss the lovely climate control, but, strangely, little else. As long as I keep the Duster below the 120 KPH zone, I suppose I wont be missing many things.

Since it is all too common a colour, I have not taken too many snaps. Will give better pictures from my DSLR once I get a chance. Here goes a couple for starters.

Other Attributes
Build Quality: Coming off the Fiat stable, I have to be honest. It doesnt have the Fiat "thud" on the sheet metal, however, it feels sufficiently ok. But not Fiat like, I must admit. However, I take it that the underpinnings are expected to be quite robust.
NVH Levels: It has that typical diesel clatter, but settles down quickly enough. I have owned the Dzire DDIS before, and this one is perhaps slightly more refined , especially at high speeds.
AC Controls: I had accepted the manual Aircon while making the choice of Duster, but the fan speed is quite noisy, and also has a hum of its own in speeds 3 & 4 (like a pedestal fan), while I was expecting more of a "hiss"".
Media Nav: It is quite intuitive, but the placement means taking your eyes off the road for making some of the selections. Better to do make minimum changes on the move. But the OE sound is "ok" if slightly bass oriented. No plans to upgrade, although I am a bit of an audiophile.

First Fortnight of Driving: Most important observation is regarding the usage of the ECO mode. This helps in extending fuel efficiency in city and "flat terrain highway runs. But there is a discernable difference when operating the car with ECO mode in ghat sections. If you dont downshift early, you can be caught out while on sharp, steep winding sections. Best to switch ECO mode OFF before entering ghat sections. So far, in mixed city/highway runs, the car is giving around 16.2 kmpl , which is quite ok I feel.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: From 170mm to 200mm+ on board the Woodland Brown Duster!

... Buying Experience: In a word: "disappointing"... but, strangely, little else ... As long as I keep the Duster below the 120 KPH zone, I suppose I wont be missing many things...
Congratulations man. It's a nicely rounded package. Such a praise on Duster, from the owner of a T-Jet speaks volumes. Wish you many happy miles and trouble free ownership.

You also summarised nicely about the attitude of Renault towards a potential customer. When I wanted a TD (Nov-Dec 2012) none of Renault's BLR dealers EVER bothered to answer my calls / call back. Their loss is Hyundai's gain. Hell with the dealers. Duster will ensure you visit them only for regular service.

Duster IS much more capable :-) Once the break-in period is over, you'll find it out. BTW, you would definitely know this, but you need to vary the Speed & rpm during these early days. Nothing wrong in going to 4000 rpm occasionally. I went up near to 5000 rpm on open roads frequently.

Congratulations on your Duster, acechip! A very lovely choice of color. Wish you lots and lots of happy miles with your newest possession.

Nissan Terrano: My feeling is that with the 2015 Duster, the Terrano price premium is not worth it. There is a visible difference to the 2015 Duster and the 2014 one, and couldnt justify spending even 50000 extra for the Nissan grille. Besides, i would have to contend with that Rear AC contraption in the Terrano 110, which is plain uncomfortable for the 5th passenger. What I also get is the fact that the 2015 Duster has the same engine tune as the Duster AWD, so not much of a turbo lag, and the clutch is lighter too! So driving comfort is definitely better than the Terrano.
I agree with you totally. Infact, Duster and Linea T-Jet are very different cars. Not that the seating position is different, the power delivery and dynamics would also be different. Good that you chose the 110bhp version, it is better suited for highway driving.

Do make the review a little more comprehensive by adding about the engine, drivability, NVH, exterior, interior, built quality, paint quality, features, gizmos, etc. under separate heads. Also awaiting some high quality DSLR pics!

Congratulations on your new Brown Boy[clap]

Just by seeing the heading, i initially though you've done a remap or what:stupid:
and once when i started reading I've came to know about the upgrade and all.

Do keep the thread updated.[:)]

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Renault Duster. Wishes to clock many more miles without issue.

Reading these posts I feel have missed a good vehicle. I nearly went for a Duster but the showroom had no display nor could provide a AWD model for test drive that made me pick a Scorpio, only to regret now.
You can read my ownership review at http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ndra-scorpio-s10-buying-ownership-review.html
Check out my ownership report on duster I have just completed it. by the way I too had booked a scorpios10 at first but after test driving renault duster I couldn't control myself from booking it. Anyway Scorpio is not a bad suv either , but if you want , you can sell it and buy a duster instead [:D]

Thread Starter #9
Reading these posts I feel have missed a good vehicle. I nearly went for a Duster but the showroom had no display nor could provide a AWD model for test drive that made me pick a Scorpio, only to regret now.
You can read my ownership review at http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ndra-scorpio-s10-buying-ownership-review.html
I believe Scorpio is a slightly different category vehicle. part MUV /part SUV. Couple of reasons I did not consider it are 1) cumbersome ingress/egress 2) ride quality. Which is ok for those who can tolerate it. But my mother wears a neck collar and surely she wouldnt be able to sit in the Scorpio back seat on uneven roads.
But it is a tough vehicle to beat, perhaps physically tougher than Duster due to ladder-frame chassis.

Congo mate,
What OTR Price you paid? And did you got any discounts?

Yes, King of ride quality she is. And when a FIAT car owner goes for some other brand, he won't settle for any compromise in ride quality.
I have TD all three Duster, Linea & Avventura. And I feel, if Fiat decides to make the Avventura bigger in all the aspects, they need not design any thing, they will have to just purchase dusters from Renault and replace the logo and it's done.

One question : is it possible to fit a child seat in the boot & get it registered at RTO, just like Terrano.?

I have heard some rumours about rust problem in Duster, have you done any research on that before buying?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Yes, I did research about the rust problem, and I believe Renault has made some changes to the 2015 line up to counter the issue. Some people particularly in the coastal areas did experience rusting.
It is possible to fit a child seat in the boot, but I would advise against it, because it is a totally unsafe contraption.
I got the car for 14.22 OTR Pune , after 63K worth of discounts. Interestingly, the Duster feels like a slightly tall, but squat hatchback compared to the long and lean Linea. Steering feel is just about precise I'd say. Not woolly soft like my Micra nor "heavy"like the Linea. And she turns a much tighter corner at 5.2m.

Oh!
My Father is looking for used Terrano or duster for long term ownership. And has seen some 2013 manufacturered dusters/Terrano s . What's your advice on this as far as rust problem is concerned?

HI Acechip,

Congrats for your new ride . I have gone through your review but much to my surprise you did not share much about the turbo lag. 2014 model used to suffer badly from turbo lag .

How is your vehicle performing in city and how many frequent gear changes it needs in city . does it still suffer from turbo lag .

THanks

Thread Starter #14
I have done about 500 kms so far, mostly city/office driving, just to get the run-in period through quickly since office commute is approx 45 km for me daily (2-way) [cry].
As far as turbo lag is concerned, I would say that there is a bit of lag in the 2nd gear , typically from15 kph to 30 kph, but not thereafter. But it is not a frustrating turbo lag as such. Its not a deal breaker.
After nearly 20 years of driving 8 different cars, I have to say, one must look at only the essentials for deal breakers: engine performance, dynamics , robustness and reliability and utility. EVERYTHING else is completely optional. Nowadays I laugh when I read comments that "touchscreen " or lack thereof is a deal breaker, lack of DRL is a deal breaker, lack of good music system etc etc..
In the new age XUV, they have added some blue funky light on the dashboard and deleted the more useful 2nd row cabin lights for W4 and W6. What can I say. Of course, all manufacturers (Renault included) are guilty to this from model to model.

I have done about 500 kms so far, mostly city/office driving, just to get the run-in period through quickly since office commute is approx 45 km for me daily (2-way) [cry].
As far as turbo lag is concerned, I would say that there is a bit of lag in the 2nd gear , typically from15 kph to 30 kph, but not thereafter. But it is not a frustrating turbo lag as such. Its not a deal breaker.
After nearly 20 years of driving 8 different cars, I have to say, one must look at only the essentials for deal breakers: engine performance, dynamics , robustness and reliability and utility. EVERYTHING else is completely optional. Nowadays I laugh when I read comments that "touchscreen " or lack thereof is a deal breaker, lack of DRL is a deal breaker, lack of good music system etc etc..
In the new age XUV, they have added some blue funky light on the dashboard and deleted the more useful 2nd row cabin lights for W4 and W6. What can I say. Of course, all manufacturers (Renault included) are guilty to this from model to model.
Well Said ACECHIP..
Now a days people are used to concentrate more on the gadgets like Car Audio, Speakers, Alloys, Side mirror indicators etc., than the main points like Engine, Reliability..

Even my friends who use latest model cars are not interested to know about the Warning lights and its uses. They drive, Fill Fuel, give it for Service.. If i see the service bill, there were many useless things added. People need to know atleast something about the car, else surely they will get cheated for sure.

Last edited:

Top Bottom