P3T3R's KTM Duke 390

Thread Starter #1
The Decision
So I have been riding (not much though) a Royal Enfield Bullet 350 for the past 5 years. I had bought it second hand and got it fully done up. Bullet clubs had just started coming up in Goa and these were the only clubs. Besides that Rider Mania was being held in Goa and I took the plunge and bought it. Slowly I realized that this is not really a great bike. It was crude, a pain to ride in the city and ended up spending too much time at the mechanic. Add to that any jobs to be done on the bike depended on the mechanics schedule. So I decided that the Bullet had to go and I had to get something simpler to live with.

The Basic Requirements
1. I'm 168 cm in height and 88 kg in weight.
2. I spend only half the year in India (4 months at a time) and for the 4 months I'm away there's no one to use the bike.
3. My primary use will be leisure riding. Most of the time evening rides from Margao to Colva or Benaulim (for those who are familiar with Goa) and maybe the occasional 100 km ride.
4. I do not intend riding to Ladakh or Kanyakumari nor do I intend carrying my entire wardrobe, fridge, TV and microwave on the bike.
5. I do not intend doing any sort of stunts or racing on the bike (In any case Goa does not have racetracks).
6. I intend having a pillion rider most of the time.
7. I intend using the bike within the city sometimes.
8. I do not have a problem with a crouched position, hard seats or stiff suspension (I'm a cyclist and ride a road bike).
9. I currently ride an Enfield 350 standard and an Activa.
10. Previously I have owned and extensively ridden a Yamaha RD 350, Yamaha RX 100 & a Hero Honda CBZ (1st Gen).
11. I enjoyed the Yamaha's more than the other bikes. I like to rev the bike a bit.

The Choices
1. Hero Splendor.
2. Honda Dream Neo/Yuga.
3. Yamaha FZ.
4. Suzuki Gixxer.
5. Harley Davidson Street 750.
6. Kawasaki Ninja 650.
7. Kawasaki Ninja 300.
8. Benelli 600i.
9. KTM Duke 390.
10. KTM RC 390.
11. KTM Duke 200.
12. KTM RC 200.

Choices 1-4 went out of the window as I decided I didn’t want something just simple. Had to be fun to ride too. The FZ and Gixxer were reasonably fun to ride but not enough.
Next was the Harley. It getting pretty common these days and the Harley groups of people are not my kind.
Next were the Ninjas. The dealer flatly refused a test ride. He didn’t even have a display bike. Asked me to go to Pune to check them out. I did check out a second hand Ninja 650 for 3.75 L and came close to buying it but backed out at the last moment.
The Benelli showroom was not ready but the bikes were displayed at the Hyosung and Nissan showrooms. Just loved the 600i. However with no guarantee of delivery and some not so good stories about Hyosung (DSK sells Hyosung and Benelli in India) dropped this idea too.
Now this left me with the KTM’s.
I knew I wanted a 390 but was confused between the Duke and the RC. However decided to check out the 200’s too. However getting a test ride proved to be a real stressful experience. I guess you’ve read that in other threads so wont go into that.
I posted my confusion on various forums but the opnions were equally divided between the Duke and the RC.
Finally I decided on the Duke because of the pillion rider comfort and also the fact that the Duke 390 was coming out with a slipper clutch. Dropped the idea of the 200’s as I never got a test ride.

Booking, PDI & Delivery

Booking was a simple affair. Booked the Duke 390 on 6th April 2015 by paying Rs.30000/-. Told the Sales guy that I only want the model with the slipper clutch. Also said that I may change the booking to the RC 390 if it comes with the slipper clutch. He agreed to both without problem. I also decided to pay only the ex-showroom price and do the insurance myself. The dealer was offering Bajaj Allianz but no option of Zero Dep.
The bike finally arrived on 19th April. Went to to stock yard on 20th to do the PDI armed with my checklist. There were 3 white Duke 390's and a lone Black one besides several Duke 200's & RC 200's. The bike has 1 Km on the odo. Slipper clutch was quite easy on the hands. Could not check the brakes but everything else was ok. Mirrors and Hand Guards were not yet installed. They said it will be done once the bike is washed and polished. Returned home for lunch and then to the bank to do the NEFT transfer for the balance amount. I then had to wait till the dealer received the funds. I got the sms at 3:15 PM but they only gave me the papers for registration at 4:15 PM. From there rushed to United India for insurance. The dealer only had the option of Bajaj Allianz and they didn't offer a Zero Dep policy. Their quote was Rs.4700/- for the normal policy. It managed to get the Zero Dep from United India around Rs.4100/-. Then handed over the papers to my agent to get the registration done the next day.
Got the registration done on the 21st. Yea that’s the number you see in the photos. It’s not photoshop. Called up the dealer and asked him to keep the bike ready. At around 3 PM went to the dealer and picked up the bike. No fancy delivery ceremony. Dealer just gave me the keys showed me the bike, explained whom to contact for service and that was it. I was a KTM Duke 390 owner.
From there headed straight to the Petrol Station and filled up the tank. Then headed straight to Don Bosco Engineering college and asked a Priest to bless the bike. The same Priest who blessed the last 2 cars I bought did it. He’s quite an auto enthusiast and asks a lot of questions about the vehicle. It was then I notice some fuel leaking. Closer inspection revealed that the fuel was coming out from the overflow pipe as the bike was tilted on the stand. The guy had over filled it. The Priest said that the only solution is to go for a long ride and consume some fuel. That’s exactly what I did.

Price
Ex-Showroom Price: 1,88,921.00
Road Tax: 15,284.00
Insurance: 4,100.00
Handling Charge: 800.00
=====================
OTR Price: 2,09105.00
=====================

Accessories & Mods
The first thing I did was remove the tire hugger. Then I removed the front number plate and windshield. Replaced it with a windshield from a Yamaha SZR for Rs.125/-. Also relocated the front number plate below the head lamp.

Still to be done:

1. Fork and Swingarm Sliders (set of 4 pcs). Rs. 4250/-
2. Frame Slider pair. Rs. 6000/-
3. Quick Throttle. Rs.1000/-
All from Dhaval

4. KTM DUKE 125 200 390 Custom Made Fuel Cap Sticker limited edition akrapovic - Rs.1500/-
5. KTM Duke 200/ Duke 390 RC 200/390Front Brake Fluid Cap - CNC Aluminum - Rs.1500/-
6. Radiator Guard For KTM 390 Duke - Rs.2500/-
All from E-Bay

7. 36 JG00 25: Tank Pad - Rs.1480/-
From KTM

8. Apache RTR Mirrors - Rs.450/- (Approx)
From TVS

Peter .Congratulations for your new ride! Nice looks.great number too. I can see your old bullet in the pictures which means you have not completely lost out on the bull.[;)]Wish you lots of miles on the new bike.

Thread Starter #4
Peter .Congratulations for your new ride! Nice looks.great number too. I can see your old bullet in the pictures which means you have not completely lost out on the bull.[;)]Wish you lots of miles on the new bike.
Thanks. The bullet was sold yesterday. Here's a picture of the new owner riding away with it. Also some pictures taken at the showroom at the time of booking. The bike belongs to Josef Picler.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
A few accessories and safety gear I bought for the bike.

Attachments

Congratulations Peter sir for getting Duke.Duke is one of my favourite bikes due to its looks.As I turn 18 next year,I'm considering this as my first bike ever.Can you tell is it suitable for 5'7-5'8 height and weighing about 65 Kgs?

Thread Starter #7
Congratulations Peter sir for getting Duke.Duke is one of my favourite bikes due to its looks.As I turn 18 next year,I'm considering this as my first bike ever.Can you tell is it suitable for 5'7-5'8 height and weighing about 65 Kgs?
Try sitting on the bike and see if it it comfortable for your height. My height is around 5'10".

Nice bike there Buddy Congratulations. And the number is too good. also i notice you have the same Vega Safety Jacket that i have. Ticks all the boxes for safety as well as economical compared to DSG's and Cramster. however that shin guard is the worst anyone can get. please my request is to change that. it rotates keeps slipping not a good quality either.

Peter you hit my thoughts
I am now looking for a bike
options are
duke390
Royal enfield classic500
Confused between both . I know they are both different categories still both are good and some say go for RE and Few say 390.
my gang has more of RE and few of dukes
What to do please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #10
Nice bike there Buddy Congratulations. And the number is too good. also i notice you have the same Vega Safety Jacket that i have. Ticks all the boxes for safety as well as economical compared to DSG's and Cramster. however that shin guard is the worst anyone can get. please my request is to change that. it rotates keeps slipping not a good quality either.
Thanks. Will be changing the shin guards ASAP.

Peter you hit my thoughts
I am now looking for a bike
options are
duke390
Royal enfield classic500
Confused between both . I know they are both different categories still both are good and some say go for RE and Few say 390.
my gang has more of RE and few of dukes
What to do please help
Buy the Duke 390, RC 390 or the Benelli 300 TNT.

Is there any maintenance problem with royal enfield my frienda say go for royal enfied
but some say duke has maintained and is not so comfortable

Top Bottom