Hyundai 4S Fluidic Verna Ownership Review: "THE BLACK PHANTOM"

Thread Starter #1
This is New Hyundai 4S Fluidic Verna ownership review. Covering buying, ownership as well as maintenance experiences.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON TAI AND MY FIRST OWNERSHIP REVIEW. PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF MY ENGLISH IS BAD. BRACE YOURSELVES. THIS ONE IS LONG!

A little background:

It all started when my mom was going to visit my sister and BIL in the United States in the December of 2013. Me and my dad were accompanying her to the airport. My dad booked a cab the day before, but the cab never showed up.
I was really tensed that my mom would miss the flight. Even though we had two cars at home, a 1959 HM Ambassador (Changed the engine to a 2.0L Isuzu Diesel) and a 1994 HM Contessa (1.8L Petrol), I had to borrow my friends 2013 Santro Xing because both our cars were antique pieces, and i regularly pull my dad's leg saying that they are "ancient aliens!"[frustration]

It was a long drive from my place to the airport (30 Km) with traffic. That moment, i told my dad 'we have to buy a new car'. We dropped my mom off at the airport and as soon as i came home, i started my research for a new car.
The budget was fixed at 4 lakhs by my mom before boarding the flight. I started doing my research mostly on The Automotive India. I soon realized that in the budget that my mom gave me, i will never able able to find a car that suits my needs. I persuaded my mom increase the budget to 8 lakhs. My top choice was to get a Hyundai i20 CRDI. But researching further i found out that the Petrol Fluidic Verna was just 2 lakhs away. I told my dad the same and he was like, lets check it out. In the month of April 2014 when my mom returned back to India, i booked a test drive and was disappointed when the dealer Talwar Hyundai (Erragadda, Hyderabad) brought a top end diesel instead of a petrol. Anyways, i took the test drive and was very much satisfied with the power of the 1.6L Crdi VGT engine. The Finance quote was given for the petrol and we were about to buy the petrol 2014 Verna SX. As i am a regular reader of the Autocar India mag and OD mag, I bought my issue for the month of may 2014 and to my surprise i found a tiny article speculating the release of a new Verna by the end of 2014 or the start of 2015. I took the issue seriously and found out about Hyundai Solaris released in 2014 in Russia and was spell-bounded by the front look but the side profile and back look remained unchanged except for the full bumper hiding the exhaust on the back. I decided to wait till the car is launched in India.

Back to the present:
In February 2015 saw the spy shots of a red Verna 4S without camo and was mesmerized. I showed the spy pictures to my dad and mom and they too liked the car. But my dad suggested me to even look at cars from other manufacturers.

I zeroed in on the following cars:

1. Skoda Rapid: I mainly added it to my list because it is European and is coming out with this new black pack for the front grill, roof and the headlamps which house the projectors. It looked awesome. But, heard horror stories about Skoda A.S.S and did not even bother to book a test drive.

2. Nissan Terrano: Although not a C segment sedan, i really liked the stance of this compact SUV. So went to Vibrant Nissan (Begumpet, Hyderabad) for a test drive. My first impression was 'wow this car is huge'. Since i have never driven an SUV before, i was really nervous.
Although out of my budget, i went along with the test drive. AFAIK, the engine is the same as that of a Renault Duster. As i started driving it i felt more and more comfortable with the car, The sales rep was kind enough to give me a test drive of 35 km around Necklace road twice.
One thing i have observed is even the 110 Ps engine feels powerless to my taste in second gear under 2000 rpm. I felt the engine took time to respond even when the throttle was floored, due to turbo lag. The sales rep was boasting about the sales of the car. Even the top end model did not have an Automatic climate Control. Anyways i said 'ill let you know when i decide' to the sales rep and left the showroom.

3. VW Vento: Read reviews on the internet and got to know that its a great enthusiast's car, but the interiors were too bland for my liking. So, dropped it.

4. Fiat Linea: An excellent car as per the reviews on the internet but i did not find the design so contemporary.

5. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz: Visited Sai Service Maruti Suzuki (ESI, Hyderabad) and i was immediately attended by Mr Vishwanath, the sales rep. He is very well acquainted with the features of the car and was happy to take out on a test drive. The car felt spacious. Seriously loads and loads of space. The sales rep explained all about the car and its features. But the engine really disappointed me. It did not have the punch i was expecting it to have. So, i had to drop ciaz. But i was really impressed with Maruti Suzuki for launching such a car after two bombed models (Baleno and sx4).

And now back to Hyundai, The new Verna 4s was launched in February 2015 and i took the first test drive on March 21st 2015. Visited Talwar Hyundai (Begumpet, Hyderabad) for the quote. The sales rep looked like a fresh appointee. He greeted me and gave me the quotation.
I observed that the price of the car was hiked for the new Verna 4s and i was disappointed because we had decided too pool up funds and buy the diesel instead of the petrol basing on the older model prices. Sadly, i had to make up my mind to go for the petrol Verna 4s S(O). Anyways, test drove the diesel and came back home.
I was really annoyed with the price hike and the sales rep who was texting his girlfriend during the test drive instead of explaining about the car. [frustration]

Later, in the month of April, i visited Kun United Hyundai (Khairtabad, Hyderabad). The sales rep Mr Harish was very courteous. He gave me quotation for the petrol and offered to get the car to my place for the test drive. I agreed and left the showroom. Next day, Mr Harish calls and tells me that he is on his way with the petrol Verna 4s. I was really excited. Me, My Dad and Mom, we were really impressed by the looks of the car, since i test drove a petrol Verna for the first time, i did not find the engine so appealing. It did not have the low end punch that the diesel verna has because the diesel engines are more torquey than the petrols. But in no way did it feel under powered.

That night we were talking about what to do, and i also suggested that diesels are more fuel efficient than petrols and my dad said 'why not take the diesel'. So, we decided to buy a black diesel Verna 4s S(O). The next day i ran to the showroom and paid the booking amount of Rs. 10000.

The total ex showroom price of the car: Rs. 10,83,499
Life-Tax (Telangana State): Rs. 1,51,690
Insurance: Quoted by dealer (Rs. 37,537 only comprehensive), I took my insurance from Bharti Axa for Rs. 36,000 (Comprehensive + Zero Depreciation + 24/7 Cashless Roadside Assistance)
Handling and Logistics: Rs. 6,950

Total On-Road price in Hyderabad: Rs. 12,78,139.

So the initial budget was Rs. 4 lakhs and the final expenditure was nearly Rs. 13 lakhs haha.

Got the delivery as promised on 30th April 2015. The experience with the dealer Kun United Hyundai was pleasant with no hassles. [clap]

DSC_0036_1.JPG
DSC_0029_1.JPG
photo.JPG

Initial opinion:

Positives:
1. The new front look gives the car a Toyota-ish appearance and i feel the car is smiling at me.

1-min.jpg
2-min.jpg

2. The new projectors are monsters in size and they are powerful.

3-min.jpg

3. The ergo lever added to the front co passenger seat is a boon for people with chauffeur driven Vernas.

27-min.jpg

4. The tail lamps seem bigger in size and have an led effect.

6-min.jpg

5. The front fog lamps are similar to outgoing Verna but they are differently placed which adds to the appeal.

4-min.jpg

6. The radio antenna has been redesigned and now its length is appropriate.

7-min.jpg

7. Rheostat is a good idea on night drives.

15-min.jpg

8. The electro chromatic IRVM does its job perfectly.

25-min.jpg

9. The ICE Headunit in this new Verna comes with 1GB onboard memory.

19-min.jpg

10. The auto headlamps add to the appeal but missed out on rain sensing wipers because they are available only on the top end SX model.

17-min.jpg

11. The map lights with a sunglasses holder beneath.

26-min.jpg

12. The ORVMs are the same, as in the outgoing model and they are awesome.

13. The Bridgestone tyres are soft like butter which improves the ride quality.

9-min.jpg

14. The NVH levels are outstanding.

15. The boot cladding gives the boot a premium look rather than those bare bones found in Honda City and other C segment sedans.

31-min.jpg

Negatives:

1. The omission of rear disc brake might be a disappointment for some people but some car reviewers have noted that it has settled the nervousness of Verna under hard braking.

10-min.jpg

2. IMO the chrome tipped exhaust of the outgoing model looked much more classy. The exhaust is hidden in the new Verna

8-min.jpg

3. Again IMO the suspension seems to on the stiffer side compared to the outgoing model and this makes the ride a bit rough. But this may appeal to enthusiasts as it improves the handling quite a lot.

4. Spare tyre rim is steel. Not an alloy wheel

30-min.jpg

I have not yet gone past 80Km/Hr because of the feeling that its a new car.

Extra Fittings:

1. Art Leather Seat Covers Rs. 6100

12-min.jpg
13-min.jpg

2. Coozoo Leather Steering Wheel Cover Rs. 1050

16-min.jpg

3. Stainless Steel Scuff/Sill Plates Rs. 1000

11-min.jpg

Side view
5-min.jpg

Driver's side controls
14-min.jpg

Push button Start/Stop
18-min.jpg

Automatic climate control
20-min.jpg

Gear Knob
21-min.jpg

12V, Aux, USB
22-min.jpg

Driver and Co-passenger SRS Airbags
23-min.jpg
24-min.jpg

Instrument Cluster
28-min.jpg

Boot
29-min.jpg

The tyre pressure was at 40 psi in all tyres when i took the delivery. So, i took the car to a tyre store and filled up with nitrogen and the service person said the appropriate pressure is 32 Psi.
But i feel its a bit low for 195/55 R16 tyres. So, i request my fellow TAI-gers to guide me towards the right pressure.

Finally, The reason we bought a Verna is because i had this soft corner for it since the time i had driven it for the first time back in 2008.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: The New Hyundai Fluidic Verna 4S CRDI S(O) 2015 "THE BLACK PHANTOM"

Nice write up and congrats on your new car[thumbsup] and that is quite a jump from 4lkahs to near 13lakhs. Just like you i also booked an i20 diesel but because the running was low settled for a petrol verna.

About the tyre pressure, open the front driver's door , look besides the seat and you'll see the recommended tyre pressure.

Btw what will be your monthly running ?

The car is a stunner. And I was laughing when I read that you increased your budget from 4L to 13L. Congrats on your ride and post more on handling, rear seat comfort and leg room etc.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Buddy, Black + a Sedan = Awesome combo[thumbsup]. The car looks elegant and with the face-lift, the Verna looks really nice now and the revised front adds a lot of character to it. Great Choice indeed. But you have to be over-careful with Black shade as it needs lot of maintenance to keep it shining.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #5

allhyundaicars: About the tyre pressure, open the front driver's door , look besides the seat and you'll see the recommended tyre pressure.

Btw what will be your monthly running ?
Thank you allhyundaicars :) I have read your ownership review too. Its awesome.
Regarding the tyre pressure, found the sticker you were telling me about. The recommended tyre pressure is 33psi in all four tyres.

furious_driver: The car is a stunner. And I was laughing when I read that you increased your budget from 4L to 13L. Congrats on your ride and post more on handling, rear seat comfort and leg room etc.
Thank you furious_driver. When my mom gave me a budget of Rs. 4 lakh, i took her out on a test drive in a verna first and later a wagon R (No offence waggie owners) My mom was like, How much do you want for verna? [;)]

Akash1886: The car looks elegant and with the face-lift, the Verna looks really nice now and the revised front adds a lot of character to it. Great Choice indeed. But you have to be over-careful with Black shade as it needs lot of maintenance to keep it shining.
Thank you Akash1986. i am presently using Sonax car shampoo and sonax car polish with chamois leather and microfiber cloth. i found a tiny scratch today on the front bumper and had used formula 1 scratch out to remove it. its 90% gone but can find it under close observation. i dont know how it got the scratch. anyways if you can, please suggest me some tips on maintaining the body in pristine condition. [:D]

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Thank you Akash1986. i am presently using Sonax car shampoo and sonax car polish with chamois leather and microfiber cloth. i found a tiny scratch today on the front bumper and had used formula 1 scratch out to remove it. its 90% gone but can find it under close observation. i dont know how it got the scratch. anyways if you can, please suggest me some tips on maintaining the body in pristine condition.
Hmm..lets see! Firstly note buddy I ain't car's professional detail-er and use a regular yellow cloth to wipe my cars. But with best of my knowledge here, I suggest you to use jopasu duster and wipe it nicely. Use newspaper to clean windshield. For rest go through this thread.

PS: It's Akash1886[:)]

Regards

Akash

Congrats on the ownership. I got my Verna SX(O) in October 2014. Its a smooth gem of an engine. Hyundai has worked on the suspension and I can feel the difference. Enjoy your ride

Thread Starter #8

Hmm..lets see! Firstly note buddy I ain't car's professional detail-er and use a regular yellow cloth to wipe my cars. But with best of my knowledge here, I suggest you to use jopasu duster and wipe it nicely. Use newspaper to clean windshield. For rest go through this thread.
Jopasu duster is a good idea. Found a combo in an online store for Rs. 810. As far as the windshield goes nothing can beat Colin spray and our desi newpapers [clap]

Congrats on the ownership. I got my Verna SX(O) in October 2014. Its a smooth gem of an engine. Hyundai has worked on the suspension and I can feel the difference. Enjoy your ride
Thank you Red October. Hyundai has reportedly tweaked the suspension quite a bit than the 2014 model. They have apparently added some kind of stoppers to eliminate the thud sound. As far as the highway experience is concerned, i am planning my first trip to tirupati. I am really excited that i will finally be able to unleash the beast in the gem [:D]

How is the steering feedback ,is it okay to manage at higher speeds?
Most Enthusiasts had complaints with previous gen Verna.
Please comment on the Handling aspects- Bodyroll,Suspension stiffness,Steering feedback.
Also has performance ,is it tweaked for fuel economy or more power?

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Verna. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Black color car looks beautiful, but i believe its bit more work need to be put to keep the car clean always compared to other colors.

Black is super tough colour to maintain will require mucho elbow grease [:D]. If vitamin M is not an issue go for a 3M PPF for the front bumper, bonnet and wheel arches. Will protect it from scratches/chipping courtesy flying stones and other road debris. People usually are pretty sensitive during the first few weeks of ownership. The NVH levels are wonderfully handled in the diesel by Hyundai. A true bench mark as far as diesel engines go in this segment.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
How is the steering feedback ,is it okay to manage at higher speeds?
Most Enthusiasts had complaints with previous gen Verna.
Please comment on the Handling aspects- Bodyroll,Suspension stiffness,Steering feedback.
Also has performance ,is it tweaked for fuel economy or more power?
I had not gone past 80Km/hr. But compared to the outgoing verna, the steering weighs up nicely, but i feel its a bit artificial. Steering feedback is very minimal, There is a bit of bodyroll when negotiating those tight curves at speeds greater than 75km/hr (It might just be my feeling). Suspension is stiff compared to the old model but still soft compared to the competition.
Hyundai has apparently added some low friction coating on the pistons to improve refinement and fuel economy. Power wise it is the same but noticeably low turbo lag.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Verna. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Black color car looks beautiful, but i believe its bit more work need to be put to keep the car clean always compared to other colors.
Thank you Ambylovers :) Its a lot of time and work to keep the black shining. Yesterday i had polished and today in the afternoon i had used a microfiber cloth to dust. I could not believe my eyes when the freshly washed cloth turned dirty. Black is a dust magnet.

photo (1).JPG

Congrats on your new ride Black Phantom! It does look absolutely stunning. Better keep her shining mate! Take care. Wishing you thousands and thousands of happy kilometres.
Thank you car lover josh. Please keep following the thread, ill be updating it regularly :)

Congratulations buddy. How is the handling and stability at high-speed.
Am also from Hyderabad. Where you live in Hyderabad.
please look above for the answer :) I live near SR Nagar. Where do you live?:) Finally a fellow hyderabadi [clap]

Black is super tough colour to maintain will require mucho elbow grease [:D]. If vitamin M is not an issue go for a 3M PPF for the front bumper, bonnet and wheel arches. Will protect it from scratches/chipping courtesy flying stones and other road debris. People usually are pretty sensitive during the first few weeks of ownership. The NVH levels are wonderfully handled in the diesel by Hyundai. A true bench mark as far as diesel engines go in this segment.
I will visit a 3M car care center very soon. I think they have an annual plan for some 14K. i dont know for sure, i had read it somewhere.
Hyundai truly set a bench mark in the NVH department.[:D]

Last edited:
please look above for the answer :) I live near SR Nagar. Where do you live?:) Finally a fellow hyderabadi [clap]
[/QUOTE]

I live in gachibowli. What is the mileage. You should consider rapid if u want rock solid car. Any way upgrade your suspensions to bliesten or red rooster. But car looks awesome. It will not feels like a 13lakh car. I feel this verna 4s looks better than neo elantra. Engine is powerful. But engine does not suit to it's suspensions. I say it is the silent diesel engine i have ever seen. Very refined. Upgrade your suspensions.

Last edited:

Top Bottom