Mahindra Scorpio S10: Buying and Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,
This is a review of my ownership of the all new generation Mahindra Scorpio. As a layman will be talking only about the experience of buying the car and the ownership experience till date, likes and dis likes of this car and not on technical jargoan like engine cc, bhp, tourqe, power, 0-60kmph in seconds, etc as am not a expert on these.

Reason for change of car:- I was looking to replace my trusted WagonR which was turning 10years. Its a very good car for city purpose but I felt the need for a much bigger car that had a road presence and better space specially for highways. WagonR used to return a avg mileage of 14kmpl in Delhi city and upto 21 on highways. Had absolutely no issues on any maintenance and service issues ever from Maruti. In one line "It's a perfect family car in city for the price".

20141221_152143.jpg

20141225_092708__1430909944_182.64.148.67.jpg

Choosing a new car.

My criteria was for a car which was spacious to seat 5+, good boot space, road presence, reliable and a good service. Ruled out Tata Safari as Tata Motors has a bad reputation for after sales and services. Renault Duster had to be left out, 1. they had no demo model of the RXZ in the showroom, 2. it was only a 5 seater and 3. seemed too pricey for the quality. Force One did not dare to risk upon as less cars seen in Delhi apart from NDTV press vehicles. Ford Ecosport felt too crampy. NissanTerrano it was like watching Telugu movie Vikramarkudu in Hyderabad again in Hindi as Vikram Rathore paying a higher price in Delhi multiplex where they fleece you extra on parking and food.

Next I visited the nearby Mahindra showroom where i was shown around their stable:-
E2O:- Pricey for a 2 door circus like car.
Verito & Vibe:- Un appealing exteriors that looked like some wooden crates ready to be shipped.
Thar:- Very good looking but interiors disappoint, it was like sitting on a a bench of govt school. Very basic.
Bolero:- very basic and not acceptable as a urban car.
Quanto:- I still wonder who designed this car's exterior!
Xylo:- felt it was a urban taxi purpose similar to Tata Sumo.
Scorpio:- I liked the look and it's road presence.
XUV:- Was more car like and pricey.
Rexton:- looked good but way beyond my budget.

The sales executive convinced me on how good, tried and trusted was the Scorpio and exceptionally featured and comfortable was the all "New Generation Mahindra Scorpio". Regarding service and spares he assured me that service is synonymous with brand Mahindra and spares are the cheapest and widely available across the nation due Mahindra's dealership network in every corner of India. So I requested for test ride which they promptly arranged for one round in the crowded market area of Lajpat Nagar behind the showroom. Tension was to complete the test ride and deliver back the vehicle in good shape and as such being a novice at technicals could not make out much on the car. Inside the showroom the sales executive assured me on the Scorpio and asked me not to give a second thought on this wonderful vehicle. So I agreed and decided to go for a Scorpio S10 model 7seater with side facing last row seats.

So paid Rs 20000 as booking amount and given him the documents for loan. I noticed a entry as handling charges of Rs 7500 for which I objected, the sales executive told me that as per Delhi High court judgement car dealers in Delhi were allowed to collect the same. There was a delay in loan processing from the dealership as they felt that a non salaried and non income tax filer for past 2 years person would not get a loan, inspite of me communicating that i have a pre approved loan from HDFC. I even gave them the file reference number of HDFC of loan approval at the time of booking which they did not bother to check. I wonder why they had taken my booking amount if they were not sure of my loan. Sensing delay or lack of interest or maybe they had too many new bookings to handle in November 2014, i followed the loan process with the bank directly and loan amount was transferred in 1 day to the dealer which again they were not aware of, finally after 2 days they acknowledged the receipt of money from HDFC. Finally a day came when I received a call from dealer to complete balance of down payment and take delivery of car. Finally after completing the paperwork and balance payments made the car was handed over.

20150107_210411__1430913671_182.64.148.67.jpg

Finally on Jan 6th 2015 I was handed over the car at 6pm at the showroom, and it nightmares of Mahindra after sales and services started. As my dear sales executive was away for a showcasing a Thar at the doorstep of a customer, another good executive delivered my car and explained me about the features and service manauls, etc. He mentioned that first interval was at 6months or 5000km, later next day a person from showrrom called up stating that he was supposed to give me a demo as per company policy and he mentioned that service interval was 4 months or 5000kms. Confused I mailed Mahindra customer care who called me back and said they would re direct me back to dealer, I told him the purpose was clarity from Mahindra itself as 2 persons from showroom had different views. The customer care of Mahindra clarified that it was 4 months or 5000kms whichever was earlier, I wonder if he knew the answer why was he directing me to the dealer from where the confusion started from?

Next was the issue with the speedometer which read 122kms at delivery. I still wonder where the stockyard of this Delhi dealer is in? Meerut or Mathura????

20150107_182751.jpg

Now coming to the car;

The Key:- the first irritating part to start with, its the cheapest that can be expected from Mahindra on a car that costs 12+ lakhs. My wife's Hyundai I20 has a better featured key. Also the placement of the ignition key hole is odd that even today I struggle to insert the key in the right place.

20150506_071217__1430915336_182.64.148.67.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Mahindra Scorpio S10 Buying, Owership, Mileage, Review and service

I really wonder whether Henric Fisker of Italy really designed the New Generation os Scorpio for Mahindras? Ford Ecosport was also designed by Henric Fisker. Or was it the team of the tractor division of M&M that designed the Scorpio.

The car is very poorly designed on the inside and lacks space management. The center ac ducts occupy the top of centre console and the infotainment system is place low and is a pain to look at while driving. It should have been ideally placed in the top of centre console with the ac ducts on either side. Refer to picture 1.

Notice the odd reverse shapes of the side ac ducts. Does M&M have a research/designing team? This is disaster designing for a car costing 12+lakhs. Refer to picture 2 and 3.

The third row of side seats should have been placed near second row bench seat, unnecessary gap between 2nd and 3rd row of seats would have provided for better boot space at the end. Refer to picture 4.

There is hardly any space between the third row for 2 adults to place their feet. Even kids sitting in the last row were kicking each other. Refer to picture 5.

The second row should have been provided with a sliding option which is another disappointment.

The jack is under the front passenger seat, the jack road and wheel spanner are placed oddly below the second row seat. the hazard reflective are left loose with no assigned place. The glove box very small. There is no provision for bottle holders on the front doors. In all it looks spacy from the outside but once inside I feel WagonR has better placements.

The 45 degrees angle required to look into the side OVRM is painful as they seem to be very near from the seating position. The rear view from the rear view mirror also is narrow. Refer to picture 6.

With the sun visors down the view on front is blocked to a great extent. Refer to picture 7.

The arm rests are so oddly placed or positioned that you feel one arm at a height and your other arm at a lower height position.

Mahindra boasts of anti pinch window technology on the drivers side, Polo half the price has all windows with anti pinch technology.

Ac flow is felt even when the knob is turned off in the rear ac vents.

Add to the bad ergonomics that I cannot find a comfortable seating position balanced to the steering wheel.

The cruise and audio control buttons are small and difficult to operate without having to look at them while driving.

Dash board and interior dual tone provided is very light and looks dirty from 2nd month onwards.

Futuristic instrument cluster is another pain as its difficult to pin point the fuel and temp bars while driving.

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
The tiny door knobs provided inside the car are flimsy and a pin to operate.

The side OVRM's are electrically operated to adjust the view but does not come electrically open and close. It's difficult to open close while driving in city traffic and another disappoint from Mahindra for a car costing 12+ lakhs.

The antenna should have shorter as it tends to hit trees atop or scrapes the stilt parking in malls.

Infotainment system has features like gps, fuel to empty, fuel average, music source, tpms, is very lowly placed on the centre console that it's difficult to operate or view while driving risking an accident. There is no way to switch off the music system when the Infotainment system is on resulting in amplifiers installed in my car being on even when I don't listen to music. Also the volume output from the radio is considerably higher than the cd/usb mode.

The gps navigation is not accurate as google, in Amritsar on the way to the Golden Temple it routed us to a narrow lane where only a 2 wheeler could pass through. Even faced some improper route issues on the Kandla port trip to Gujarat.

Instrument cluster:- the door ajar symbol doesn't show exactly which door is open, as a result you have to take trial of opening and closing all doors. In the centre of the instrument cluster it shows you which gear you have engaged, instead it should have been provided with a gear up shift/down shift indicator as in a I20 which helps in case you are driving the vehicle in a improper gear. New generation Scorpio not so new as claimed.

Though Mahindra makes a hype about improved Anti Roll Technology, Widened Chassis Track and Cushion Suspension providing superior handling and comfortable driving at high speeds thus making the New Generation Scorpio extremely stable. Maybe this is true compared to the outgoing model but the vehicle doesn't feel safe turning 60 degree angle on turns at speed over 60kmph. The rear suspension feels a bit hard.

Mastering the art of setting the TPMS and speed of wipers is difficult for me. Maybe have to go to some study centre.

The absence of a 6th gear is clearly felt speeds above 80kmph.

Micro hybrid technology to save fuel is nothing but a stop start system of ignition similar to Hero Motorcycles Ismart. When this mode is activated and vehicle comes in a neutral gear without foot on clutch pedal at idle speed the ignition stops after 4 seconds, and the ignition switches on upon pressing either the clutch or accelerator pedal, essential to save fuel. That go by the name Hybrid that it's something about alternate fuel technology. Also the ac switches off in stop mode. This may save fuel but I found it practically impractical in Delhi bumper to bumper traffic conditions wherein on one occasion of a 3 km peak traffic stretch from my office to home it switched off and on 23 times. Found it better useful on highways and less traffic routes to save fuel.

In terms of safety Mahindra has provided 2 Airbags but 6 would have provided a better safety for this vehicle. Also absence of Traction control and non disc rear brakes is a thumbs down to Mahindra.

The stock 4 wheels are alloy 17" while spare wheel is drum type and even though I wanted to buy an alloy for the spare wheel to maintain uniformity in case of tyre change on punctures and wheel change cycle, was informed by dealer that spare alloy wheel not yet in supply from manufacturer and even in case Mahindra starts to do so, it will not be sold individually but in a set of 4 at a rough cost of apprx Rs34000/-. Ridiculous isn't it? that the scorpio sorry "New Generation Mahindra Scorpio" though launched 7 months ago still has no supply of essential spare parts.

Last but not the least is the finish quality of weldings, visible nuts, uneven gap of panels that give a cheap impression of the vehicle.

The tiny door knobs provided inside the car are flimsy and a pin to operate.

The side OVRM's are electrically operated to adjust the view but does not come electrically open and close. It's difficult to open close while driving in city traffic and another disappoint from Mahindra for a car costing 12+ lakhs.

The antenna should have shorter as it tends to hit trees atop or scrapes the stilt parking in malls.

Infotainment system has features like gps, fuel to empty, fuel average, music source, tpms, is very lowly placed on the centre console that it's difficult to operate or view while driving risking an accident. There is no way to switch off the music system when the Infotainment system is on resulting in amplifiers installed in my car being on even when I don't listen to music. Also the volume output from the radio is considerably higher than the cd/usb mode.

The gps navigation is not accurate as google, in Amritsar on the way to the Golden Temple it routed us to a narrow lane where only a 2 wheeler could pass through. Even faced some improper route issues on the Kandla port trip to Gujarat.

Instrument cluster:- the door ajar symbol doesn't show exactly which door is open, as a result you have to take trial of opening and closing all doors. In the centre of the instrument cluster it shows you which gear you have engaged, instead it should have been provided with a gear up shift/down shift indicator as in a I20 which helps in case you are driving the vehicle in a improper gear. New generation Scorpio not so new as claimed.

Though Mahindra makes a hype about improved Anti Roll Technology, Widened Chassis Track and Cushion Suspension providing superior handling and comfortable driving at high speeds thus making the New Generation Scorpio extremely stable. Maybe this is true compared to the outgoing model but the vehicle doesn't feel safe turning 60 degree angle on turns at speed over 60kmph. The rear suspension feels a bit hard.

Mastering the art of setting the TPMS and speed of wipers is difficult for me. Maybe have to go to some study centre.

The absence of a 6th gear is clearly felt speeds above 80kmph.

Micro hybrid technology to save fuel is nothing but a stop start system of ignition similar to Hero Motorcycles Ismart. When this mode is activated and vehicle comes in a neutral gear without foot on clutch pedal at idle speed the ignition stops after 4 seconds, and the ignition switches on upon pressing either the clutch or accelerator pedal, essential to save fuel. That go by the name Hybrid that it's something about alternate fuel technology. Also the ac switches off in stop mode. This may save fuel but I found it practically impractical in Delhi bumper to bumper traffic conditions wherein on one occasion of a 3 km peak traffic stretch from my office to home it switched off and on 23 times. Found it better useful on highways and less traffic routes to save fuel.
Hey again rajiv.. I agree with you on all of the points but two
1. Infotainment system does switch off you need to keep the PWR/MUTE button pressed for 3 seconds.
2. GPS Navigation and Google Maps take you to the same location, I know this because a friend of mine visiting India used the google maps and got stuck in the similar scenario as you that too in Amritsar on his way to the Golden Temple with his family. [:)]
Rest the inside door handles, the roof handles all are very unkind to the eye and hand... I have changed my Roof handles with XUV 500s, had to do a little modification but they feel much better now. We are looking for bolt in replacement for the inside door handle but haven't found a perfect match yet. Rest you need to check out the Mood lighting in Mahindra Accessories for the new Scorpio...It crazy fun...
Regards

Last edited:

@ rajanysvv

Reading your post, I understand your frustration and anger with regard to this vehicle. Seems like an expensive mistake in hindsight.
This is why lot of car buyers think twice before plonking anything above 10 lakhs on indian car company products.
Best to ride it out for a few years and dump it for a better vehicle.
Hopefully Toyota Rush / Hyundai i25 will be launched by then and would be worthy replacements for this bad experience.

Thread Starter #6

Engine:- this is the best part of the Scorpio with nothing to complain about. Driving in the city is cool and a pleasure on the highway. And here's the other best part i.e. Mileage. Average fuel consumption in city traffic conditions returned 10-11.5kmpl while highway driving returned as follows:-

Speed. Route. Mileage.
70-90kmph Delhi to Amritsar 17.00kmpl
80-100kmph Amritsar to Delhi 15.11kmpl
80-100kmph Delhi to Gandhigram 15.21kmpl
55-65kmph Gandhigram to Delhi 20.14kmpl
Variable. Delhi-Badrinath-Delhi. 13.40kmpl

All these trips were with Ac on and blower speed at 1. Refer to picture 1 for fuel log.

On my retutn trip from Gandhigram (Gujarat) to Delhi where i got the tank filled, it travelled 1062kms till Manesar and the fuel gauge has just turned to the last bar (7.5ltrs left in tank). It gave an average mileage of 20.4kmpl with ac on.

In picture 2 you can see that average fuel mileage showing at a peak of 21.7kmpl without ac on. These when tested tank ful to tank full basis were true which was also tested on the Greater Noida-Agra Expressway travelling at 60kmph without ac.

But this fuel average is not accurate in city conditions as it shows fuel average as 15-17kmpl but on tank fulll to tank full it turns out 11kmpl.

So overall if one travels at a steady speed of 65kmph (rpm at 1500) can expect a decent 20kmph on flat highways which is very good for a bulky vehicle. [clap]

Attachments

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Mahindra Scorpio. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
I got to see the service interval is 5000kms once in your post. But almost all modern day cars are having minimum 10000 and maximum 15000 kms interval.

Thread Starter #8

Accessories and Music system.

Accessories:- Being a very basic car on the inside for the price they charge, leather seats should have been provided. Also for whose who want to add the extra stuff will get a mild heart stroke on the pricing of these add ons.

Front bull guard comes with a welded slot open for auxiliary lights and looks odd without them. The rubber beading on the guard tends to open up, the dealer said due to winter(never heard of seasonal functionality in parts, even in summer now no change in the rubber so maybe its a defective rubber). Picture 1.

Auxiliary lights:- Hella lights offered by Mahindra cost Rs 5500 whereas the same original Hella lights can be bought outside for Rs 4000. A difference of 37.5% is quite high. the on/off button has not been provided with a slot and you have to drill into the panel below the steering wheel which is a mess. Should have a provided a button slot for up-gradation and a provision for joints in the wiring system. Picture 2

It does not provide a rear view camera with vehicle and you have to add it at an extra cost of Rs 3500. At the same time the quality of this rear view camera is not up to the mark, its quite bright. Here also there is no provision for joints provided to the wiring system to attach the camera wiring, and the other funny part is showroom people fit the camera and then you have to go to the dealer workshop to get it integrated into the Infotainment. Time and money waste experience. Had luckily noticed that the accessory technician while fitting the camera on a Scorpio for another customer the center alignment was towards the right instead of center distance in the rear bumper, so had mine correctly aligned in the center. Mahindra should have pre-fitted this essential item in the car at the factory itself for the price they charge. Picture 3.

Gear Lock:- One essential safety requirement for the Scorpio is the gear lock as these vehicles are the favorites of thieves. But after fitting the gear lock it tends to cut into the cover of the gear rod. Let picture 4 do the talking.

A big disappointment here that some essentials sold as accessories which should have been pre fitted in the factory even it meant extra fleecing on the customers as cutting into wiring and panels is very messy and imperfect finishing by the accessories team. the sales executive tries to sell you every last bit of items present in the showroom like he tried to sell me front bull guard along with front parking sensors, the sensors will not work if a full bull guard is fitted as it blocks them which was pointed out by the technician, then later he gave me some torch light and tire air pressure filler for the price already paid for the front sensors, only to realize that the torch doesn't work. Cant blame him for fooling customers with his half knowledge as hes bound by targets by Mahindra or dealer to fleece the customer to the last drop of blood.

Music system:- this will be a the greatest disappointment by Mahindra for music lovers. Mahindra either maybe feels that a Scorpio is ideal for taxi operators or that it doesn't care for people who want a taste of good music. Speakers are basic Onkyo brand which definitely needs to be upgraded to better ones. and the head unit has no per outs which make it even more difficult to upgrade to a better system even if you have the money to do so. And you can replace the head unit as most features are integrated into the head unit and back to the steering controls. There is no slot on the front for tweeters and no slot on the second row doors for speakers, and no slot for oval speakers in the tailgate (only round speakers provided). And surprisingly the have a slot for tweeters on the top of the tail gate area (never knew someone would install tweeters in the back of vehicle than in front).

You can find a detailed report of my ICE upgrade on this Scorpio on this link:- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...137-ice-scorpio-s10-7-seater-side-facing.html

Attachments

Congrats for your Scorpio. I agreed that vehicle has so-many niggles and issues. But as you said the engine is a gem. [clap] live with it happy as you have a solid reason for that.

Happy Miles [:)]

Thread Starter #10

Service:- while vehicle ownership and dealer experience was one part the other half of disappointment is fully completed by Mahindra from its service area.

It starts with the moment you enter the workshop, a security guard comes and scribbles the job card number and name of service adviser on the windscreen of the new Scorpio. [lol] You would need to have 2 hearts to digest this stroke from Mahindra workshop, which century are we in? Scribbling on the windscreen, Royal Enfiled workshop people hang a plastic card as job card no, why cant Mahindras cope up with the world? Picture 1.

I have heard Mahindra service is either hit or a miss, and i experienced this to be true. In the second month of the vehicle on the way to Amritsar the engine check light error came on instrument cluster. I called up Mahindra helpline and they said if was able to go above60-70 kmph speed its normal that I can move up to the nearest workshop. But from Karnal to Amritsar all workshops on the way were closed on account of Baisakhi holiday. Next day at Amritsar my half day holiday was spent at workshop where they checked it and by noon they said all was ok and error due to a loose hose pipe connection. I pulled out of the workshop and voila the engine check lamp lighted up again. Back to workshop another 3.5 hours and they said problem due to me installing amplifiers of music system may be some wrong connections. Ok fair enough, back to Delhi i got all the ICE upgrade connections removed and took it for a test drive on to Greater Noida, the engine check lamp error lights up again. Finally this was resolved during the first service in April in Delhi workshop where the fault was identified as failure of vacuum moderator which was not functioning, thankful to Mahindra for replacing it free of cost.

Next on the 13th of April i stopped at a pedestrian crossing on red signal near civil lines , a Ford Figo which was coming around 100 meters from behind at a speed of 80kmph rammed into the Scorpio while it was trying to over take an auto. Picture 2 & 3. The rear guard, bumper and left side rear cladding were damaged.

So I drove into the workshop the next day at 8:30am for 1st service as well as body work repair of dent caused due to accident. They directed me to a separate area where the body shop was located around 4 kms away for the denting and body work. I gave the vehicle at the body workshop after a wait of 1.5 hours at 10:30am the staff started arriving and finally at 11:25am my job card was opened. For 3 days the vehicle was left on the road outside the workshop due to non availability of spares, and finally on 18th April 2015 the 4th day parts arrived and vehicle was delivered by evening 5pm. It was another disappointment with paint finishing work done for which they replied that the paint compressor had failed and asked me to come back after 10days as they were shifting the body work shop to a better place. Picture 4 & 5 can be seen for the messy paint job done. Also the rear bumper mat was replaced by a old one that was taken out from another Scopio. Picture 6.

So the same evening i asked them to get the 1st servicing done, a driver from the workshop took the vehicle from bodyshop to the workshop and the vehicle was delivered on 19th April 2015 4 pm. Problem of engine check lamp error was rectified with vacuum modulator replacement and all seemed well, till i noticed the rubber mat in the rear ac vents was missing. It a small rubber mat that is placed to cover the 2 bolts that are seen in Picture 7.

I pointed out this to the service adviser and he said maybe it went missing while washing (does Mahindra water wash car interiors?) and he said he will look and get back. Next day on calling him on the same he relied unable to trace the tray rubber mat, so I said chalo no tension please give me a new one as am willing to pay for it (cost around Rs100) but then he replied part not available and that I would have to purchase the whole rear ac vent unit for Rs 1700 plus taxes. (Rear ac vent unit is same as Picture 7).

So i simply requested to give my rubber mat that was misplaced by them for which he assured me that he would arrange for it. After a follow up of 4 days he said he got the rubber mat and asked me to come down to collect it. This is where I found the most creative person I have ever met. He gave me a rubber mat look like cut from tyre tube. you can notice in Picture 8 on the right is the original mat and left is the creative mat of Mahindra. (Mahindras should upgrade this service adviser to their R&D for creativity)[:D] Imagine that Mahindra does not provide small spares and wants to fleece customers by selling unwanted full parts.

Not to forget that I had to visit the showroom again to get the hole drilled for the rear camera fitment as neither the work shop nor body shop had provision to drill a hole (wonder why doesnt Mahindra service the vehicles at showrooms only when tools are not provided at workshops or body shops). Also its a irritating experience that the service advisers are half time busy on cell phones while doing your job card work.

Now coming out of the workshop shocks, follow up was done with with body shop people for the paint finishing. Finally on May 5th 2015 I was given an appointment and a driver was provided for pickup. Later in noon when I called on work progress they asked me to come down by 5:30pm to pick up the vehicle. After meeting the bodyshop manager and some sweet talk over Tea, my vehicle was delivered assuring the best of services and words like "Do not hesitate to call us in case of any issue,etc." I examined the vehicle and went into a coma when i saw that they had unnecessarily fiddled with the rear camera hole by making it bigger and now there is a clear gap visible and the rear camera wobbles in it. Picture 9.

So for one simple work of probably 2-3 days work time in 2 visits I had an exiting adventure of visiting 9 times the workshop(Okhla), body shop (Tughlakabad) and showroom (Lajpat Nagar) spread over a 24 days.

Currently apart from Scorpio S10 I also own a WagonR, a Bullet STD500, a TVS Star City, along with my wifes Hyundai I20 and Chevrolet Spark, for which I follow up all the service works and had never seen such irresponsible work culture and non availability of spares parts issues. Mahindra needs to rework a lot on providing quality service and maintaining spares at all levels.

Attachments

Thread Starter #12
Conclusion:- Mahindra Scorpio S10 at Rs 14.50 lakh Versus Maruti WagonR Vxi ABS-Airbags Rs 4.50 lakh.

I know its unfair to compare Scorpio to a WagonR but my comparisons are based only on value for money based on my lawman terms. I understand no car is perfect and every brand has small issues here and there but paying nearly 3 times the price of WagonR for a Scorpio what have I got?

I got extra boot space, a mighty road presence, a better fuel mileage on highways (WagonR gave me 21kmpl of petrol from Delhi to Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh trip of 1900kms in Dec 2014 while Scorpio returned 20.4kmpl of Diesel from Gandhigram, Gujarat to Delhi trip of 1100 kms in March 2015) and a feel of safety. And thats it.

What I have lost?

Value for money (and with the NGT ban on diesel vehicles over 10 years old, another blow to resale value)
Interiors design and placement provided for tools, etc very bad.
Peace of mind due to service and spare parts availability issues.
Could have done better with quality of panel gaps and weldings and open bolts visible.
Not worth the price you pay for a top model with lack of leather seats, rear camera, and some basic fitments should have been provided instead of trying to fleece the customers.

My trip to Badrinath last year on my 10year old WagonR and this year on 4month old Scorpio has found no difference on any extra pick up or pull on the ghat roads, AC in wagonR was better while space was plus point in Scorpio

Every brand has some thing or the other as uniqueness in its operations,
Maruti for economy and reliability.
Hyundai for innovations, provides all features in its small cars
Volkswagen has its emblem as its boot opener.
Volvo on its XC90 "A luxury car wouldn't be complete without a quality sound system. Whether you want to listen to the radio, stream your favourite music or play an album, the sound system in our all-new Volvo Volvo XC90 will delight even the most sophisticated audiophile. We’re confident of this because we partnered with acclaimed audio company Bowers & Wilkins for our Premium Sound system. Quite simply, we wanted to give you the best sound experience on four wheels
As with everything we do, we started thinking about the sound experience you would want and expect from a luxury car before we even sketched the first design.

This meant integrating the sound system into the car – not bolting it on as an afterthought. Thinking about the best possible place for the speakers to maximise their effectiveness. Thinking about where to place the tweeters to bring out the highlights of the music. Thinking about how we could give every person in the car the same level of quality experience – regardless of whether they are sitting in the rear seats or the front. That’s a Swedish approach. We design our cars with more than just the driver in mind.)
Mahindra:- Expectations<Performance=Dissapointment

To summarize I was particularly drawn towards Mahindra Scorpio for the following 3 points:-

Mighty Road Presence (its still there)
Promise of a reliable vehicle, quality service and economical spare parts costs and availabilty (shattered on these)
Make In India (Last year I remember an article in media of Mr Anand Mahindra calling upon Shri Narendra Modi when he took over as Prime Minister to use Scorpio as his official vehicle and support make in India cause. I felt its a fine thing that we as citizens should also take upon this fine message from Mr Mahindra and save this nation from the expensive foreign exchange deficit that India as a nation faces by buying products made in India by Indians)

Its only now I realize after my personal experience the quality of our Indian companies in regards to others and why the SPG of the Prime Minister choose a BMW over the Scorpio. Its simple sense that I missed out that our Netas who rode the Tata Sumo's dumped them later for Mahindra Scorpio's which again were dumped for the Toyota Fortuners. Bhai! simple common sense ki baat hai. Who said our Netas have no knowledge? [clap] Every encounter with Mahindra only takesme into a deeper depression. Hope M&M overcomes these issues and develops into a reasonble quality brand and makes India proud.

Disclaimer:-My intention is not to hurt anyone or tarnish the image of any brand or dealer in particular but just a flat report om experience on the New Generation Mahindra Scorpio.

Jai Hind.

Attachments

Thread Starter #13

Hey again rajiv.. I agree with you on all of the points but two
1. Infotainment system does switch off you need to keep the PWR/MUTE button pressed for 3 seconds.
2. GPS Navigation and Google Maps take you to the same location, I know this because a friend of mine visiting India used the google maps and got stuck in the similar scenario as you that too in Amritsar on his way to the Golden Temple with his family. [:)]
Rest the inside door handles, the roof handles all are very unkind to the eye and hand... I have changed my Roof handles with XUV 500s, had to do a little modification but they feel much better now. We are looking for bolt in replacement for the inside door handle but haven't found a perfect match yet. Rest you need to check out the Mood lighting in Mahindra Accessories for the new Scorpio...It crazy fun...
Regards
I dint mean that Infotainment system doesn't not switch off, I meant even when you don't want to listen to music there is no option to switch off only the music part as doing so will deprive you of the other functions of the Infotainment system. So only option is to keep the volume on mute but I fear the amplifiers are in a on position unnecessarily.

Thread Starter #14

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Mahindra Scorpio. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
I got to see the service interval is 5000kms once in your post. But almost all modern day cars are having minimum 10000 and maximum 15000 kms interval.
Yes the service intervals are for every 5000kms but the first service is for 4 months or 5000kms whichever is earlier.

Top Bottom