Bajaj Pulsar Initial Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I owned TVS Apache for almost 5 years and had driven it for more then 50K's.My bike was doing fine but started giving minor problems as well as DAD started to come with me on routines either in our car or on my bike and apache was not comfortable for him on long runs and started making his back painful.After lots of thought, and market search i wasnt getting a great deal on resale of my apache, which was hardly ranging from 18K to max 21.One day one of my client offered me to buy my bike and i wasent willing to sell as the market price was too low to sell it at this point of time but then this client offered me 30K which i couldnt refuse and sold it off to him.This is when the hunt for new bike began.After riding apache i was sure that nothing lesser then 150cc range.Dad wanted me to buy the brand which does pretty good in market with better network of service centres plus easily availability of spares along with road side mechanics ability to repair the bike instead of running down to service centre all the time.So it was Honda Unicorn and Bajaj Pulsar which were sorted down.
My cousin owns new pulsar and my friend owns Unicorn, so i took turn of each of them one by one and took it to my factory route along with my dad as pillion to get him the idea and comfort as well.
Unicorn: first impression is awesome engine, super smooth, silent and very relaxing, but somehow after few kms i started felling it lacking of pulling effortlessly, plus the habit of apache's low stance and medium reach of steering made it difficult for me for high stance of Unicorn.It really started paining by back as well as shoulders after reaching office which was 15kms.Over all dad was relaxed as well but not that happy as i could feel.
Oneof the main reason for not going for unicorn was its single lever gear shift which was though sporty but not comfy.
Pulsar: took this one the next day and boy thats a heavy metal to ride, not as easy as unicorn and engine not as butter as honda for sure, but then i didnt do bad either, could easily pull us, overtaking was easy, so was with any gears,speed ratio.We were equally comfortable with this seats and i was much comfortable riding this one as pulsar has similar ride posture as apache had.Plus the level of equipments had on pulsar, unicorn lacked that.Also our route goes through national highway as well as state highway, and boy this machine stood its ground so firmly while heavy duty trucks passing us that even my apache failed to do so.Engine was much much easy then the one i had driven before buying apache.Another thing that i was impressed is with its consistency of FE which roams around 50, has performance along with comfort.The thrill you get in riding pulsar was missing in unicorn.

So finally it was pulsar that was to be brought and finally after negotiating with different dealers where delivery was ranging from 1 week to 3, and not discounts on pulsars, i got hold of one on the same day with 2k discounts along with bag hook, seat cover and girppers freebies from the dealer.
Hope i could post some random pictures taken on the delivery day.
As of today, 6th day of ownership, my ride is driven for almost 150 kms and i am loving it hell yeah.
Few impressions:
I didnt knew about the side indicators which dont need to push back its switch as on other bikes but it gets back to normal just like cars after the turn is completed, good and cool feature on bike.Also all switches gets dimmed on the night with cool white light on its signs which looks cool along with its digital meter which glows orange light.One thing i am a bit confused is that the RPM is on the higher side on startups ranging from 1400 which goes till 2000 once the bike is heated up, i did went up to my near by dealer and they said this is normal for pulsars, and it should be maintained, but my previously owned bikes were ranging from 850 to 1200 rpms, can someone throw more lights on these.

Great write up Vijay. ANd many congratulations for your Pulsar. Hope you cover 1000s of happy miles on it. Excellent pics Vijay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arun

Suspended
Once a Pulsator, always a pulsator! Enjoy your ride black babe dude!!

Keep the revvs high!

Arun.

Thread Starter #5
Akash,Arun thankyou mates.
Arun yeah surely it does apply.
Akash, can you post the pictures directly instead of links, am unable to do so.

Hey nice pictures Vijay your bike is looking hot. Congrats and enjoy your new ride! The reason why even i chose Pulsar was the features it was offering for the price and the excellent FE at all times.

And RPM issue i maintain only 1200RPM in my Pulsar. I think there is a small problem with the idling of your bike. My friend having a Hunk also used to face the same problem which he has rectified now.

Few impressions:
I didnt knew about the side indicators which dont need to push back its switch as on other bikes but it gets back to normal just like cars after the turn is completed, good and cool feature on bike.Also all switches gets dimmed on the night with cool white light on its signs which looks cool along with its digital meter which glows orange light.One thing i am a bit confused is that the RPM is on the higher side on startups ranging from 1400 which goes till 2000 once the bike is heated up, i did went up to my near by dealer and they said this is normal for pulsars, and it should be maintained, but my previously owned bikes were ranging from 850 to 1200 rpms, can someone throw more lights on these.
Congrats for your new ride. I also own P150 since 2.5 years. Regarding the side indicators they indeed do not require puck back. But sometimes they do not do there job properly. Sometimes they do keep blinking even if turn is complete and sometimes they stops before that. Don't know whether this is happening only on my bike or it's common for pulsars.

Your idling RPM is definitely on higher side. Mine is around 900 - 1000 and it does not changes whether engine is cold or hot.

Thread Starter #8
CD,Sandeep, thankyou for your wishes and yeah i too thought the idling of my bike is on the higher side, would rectify that in coming days.As writing today, its exactly a week as i brought my pulsar last wednesday at around 1.30pm, so week after that my ride stands at around 205kms.

Thread Starter #12
thanks blackbeauty for your wishes.
Regarding the meter, not its not self check but the analogue as well as digital meter would go all the way up when key is inserted and kept on.I wont do that on the new bike for sure mate.

CD: oops yeah, would try to take better pictures coming days.

Last edited:
Regarding the meter, not its not self check but the analogue as well as digital meter would go all the way up when key is inserted and kept on.I wont do that on the new bike for sure mate.
That itself is the self check. Its to check whether the meter is working perfectly or not.[:)]

Thread Starter #15
completed 600 kms today.ride is getting smoother day by day and hope would improve much better after its first servicing.

Top Bottom