Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT, EX 2010 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Like everyone else, I also wished to drive fast and big cars one day. But didn't imagine when that big day would actually happen.

My liking for the safari started somewhere in 2008-2009 when my neighbor bought a Black Tata Safari. It was an eye catchy car with plush leather interiors.

But, my choice of a big car was not just a tata safari, but anything under the sun. I was even ready for a tavera, xylo, scorpio, qualis, sumo grande. As i said just anything under the sun.

The closest I came to buying a big car(another safari) was in April-May 2013 more on this later.

The installments of our santro was finishing off in June 2013 and we were ready for the second car. Having spend 40K INR for lifetime road tax in Hyderabad, for our Delhi registered car, we were never prepared to buy a new car here. And then selling it in half the price when we leave the city in future was too much a bother. But still the heart was not prepared for a pre-owned car. Somewhere during that time, Mahindra Quanto was launched and I found myself standing in Mahindra showroom to test drive the car. Unfortunately I didnt like the complete package. It would have been a great car but in my finance(7L) I was getting the C2 or C4 version in which I could get a Etios Viva Sportz Diesel or even a starting diesel model of i20.

I again started thinking about owning a small diesel car and test drove many diesels from Figo to Etios.. during this time I saw an ad on our company portal about a i10 kappa 1.2. Being a 79 bhp car and weighing a mere 860 kg, it looked like a powerful car I was waiting for. I gave in to the temptation and bought it straight away. Having known the person selling it, there were no second thoughts altogether. A quick diesel vs petrol calculation further fixed the deal. As this car was primarily for our highway drives, it fitted well in all aspects except size. I brought the car home.

After sometime(may be a month), I came to know that our VP's Safari is going off lease and he is not interested in buying it back. He was looking for the XUV now. This safari was a well kept car and I missed a chance of owning one with a small margin of time rather than money.

Most of our drives were on well kept toll roads, so never regretted the decision of owning an i10. Kept it ready for anything anytime. I was never let down by that car.

After my Goa trip in Sept 2013, I came to know that in October '2014' another Safari of a Senior director of our team would go on sale, as he is also not interested to buyback and wants an automatic sedan (now we know it is Skoda Octavia Elegance TSI, 180 bhp, Automatic). I was in no hurry and asked him to give me the final quote of the safari when it goes under the hammer.

Few points about our company's lease policy: A middle level manager can opt for a car he likes as per his approved slab, pay a marginal amount per month (15K for a Ertiga ZDI, just to give you a perspective) and after 3 or 4 years of ownership, give the car back to the lease company and opt for another car as per his current slab. Some people buy the car back, some doesn't. Those who buyback are also eligible for taking another car irrespective of their buyback decision.

But there is a catch here, you have to buyback at the price which the lease company decides for the car. They say that they take 3 quotes from various sources and sell the car to the highest bidder.

This is the reason why it is not certain that you would get the car you want. They can get a quote of some unrealistic, unbelievable amount too.

The good thing about these leased cars is that you know the owner and they are scratch-less (thanks to comprehensive insurance). The bad thing is that you cant decide the color or bid yourself.

So, finally got the Safari VTT 2.2 Dicor, Pearl-white, 41K driven, for a mysterious price I could afford. But, frankly speaking, selling a car to buy another is a costly affair, specially when you are the second owner of the car you are selling. In real terms I have taken a hit of 80K on the i10 to buy this. On the highway my petrol i10 would be more cost efficient than this diesel monster. But then the feeling of owning what you never thought you can is different.

Starting this thread to share my experiences with the vehicle. Here are the pics from a point and shoot camera. Apologies for the image quality, it was dark down there.
The best and the worst tyre image is also attached to provide an insight. The spare wheel is still unseen by me.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Although it has been a fun filled 2000 kms on the SUV, there are few niggles I observed during the routine under the hood glance.

1) Small amount of engine oil seems to leak from a hose near the oil filter.
2) Something is leaking under the belts area behind the radiator. Looks like the coolant as it looks similar to the collant stuck near the coolant drain plug. But, need help in identifying the same. Any pointers?
3) On the door, there is a red reflector light. I have seen it glowing on other safaris but in mine, they dont glow. Do they actually glow or they are just reflections? The reflectors i am talking about are the ones encircled in green in the file 'door opened'.

No other issues, even these are very minor and zero concerns and would get them fixed soon. The coolant level and the engine oil level is intact.

I have taken an internal image of the engine pointing the camera inside the engine oil refill cap. The oil looks dark and black but the engine looks to be in good shape with no stress marks. The oil a 9000 km old synthetic and safari takes 15k kms between mineral oil changes, hence delaying the service for some more time. Last service was at 33K kms.

Attachments

Last edited:
Congrats on your Safari! The photo from top front looks majestic.
And a very interesting journey you had in terms of moving from santro > i10 > safari! Wish you many happy mile munching with the safari.

Though the service interval is 15K, better to get the leakages examined at TASS.

Last edited:
Hi,
Congratulations on your Safari. Wishes to clock may more miles without issues.
I see in the image, the oil in the belts. It will decrease the belt life.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys, @ambylovers the belt is as dry as a desert. The pipes beneath are the ones that are wet and sticky.
@vishnu vichu i am yet to visit an svc with these niggles. Actually i am a little scared to go there.. The previous owner was charged exuberant amounts on service.. He was charged for Mobil 0w40 FS Gasoline engine oil, which costed him 8000 rs for oil alone. Safari takes 7.5 litres. This oil can never be put in a Diesel Safari!! Its actually a crime to use this oil in a beast like safari. It is like a starved african kid(Mobil Gasoline oil) fighting against a sumo wrestler(Safari's engine), for those who understand lubricant science a little.
When I go for next service, these guys would again think that the same person has come and charge unrealistic amounts from me. They have service history you see [lol]
I still cant afford 20k for a service. I have a very friendly service centre near my home, its called Rapid Bosch. The only problem is that they dont keep API CH4 or above oil, they use Bosch oil, which is not that technologically advanced. I will buy oil from outside and pay them a visit this weekend probably. Forgot to tell, every filter that was replaceable was replaced in the last service. (I dont know whether they actually did it or just charged him for it [cry] ). So, I dont need to change anything that requires SVC intervention.
I would rather pay more to a hardworker than a day light robber. Let me open my laptop and share the robbery receipt with you guys. This 33K also includes bumper replacement of some 10K. Mind it, this is fourth "Free Service" from Tejaswi Motors - Madhapur, Hyderabad. [thumbsdown]

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Some updates:
Got the car serviced from Rapid Bosch a month or so ago. The leak images on the tubes above was powersteering fluid. The leak near the filter is not oil, but coolant. The leaks were very nominal and the service advisor asked me to watch out for any substantial reduction in fluids.
As mentioned before, there was no substantial loss of any fluid in the car. On my insistence the service advisor asked me to have a look at other cars. I came back and saw my hyundai santro, there were small fluid leak marks on some tubes. I have never topped up any fluid in that car except periodic coolant change in the 51K kms it has done till now.
My Tata product worry was unfounded. I was relaxed.
The service bill was 6.7 Ks which included Service charge, Wiper blades, Gear Oil, Trans-axle oil, Sedimentar cleaning, Engine oil and Filter and many other stuff.
Relaxed, I went for a 120 + 120 km drive to Bidar fort. It went well and the feeling of the massive car and the powerful engine was growing on me. Completely sure of what I have at hand, I took the car for a 2000 km drive to Coorg from Hyderabad and back. It was an amazing drive.. the car performed super. Attaching some images from the drive that concluded yesterday! The trip meter read a whopping 1900 kms after the drive!

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
That coffee plantation thing, is it KALASA??
It is a part of Ibbani Cadu Estate; where we stayed near Madikeri.
Hi,
Its good to see that your known problems are solved. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Thanks a lot.. The feeling of the Safari is growing on me. I feel awesome in it. Have a look at the video below.. any other car wont have made it.
The road was in shambles and the stones below were sharp and quite big. Had it been any other car, I would have definitely got stuck in the sludge or got a puncture. You can hear me calling the person 'pagal' (mad) who showed us this way. The underbody didn't scrap throughout the 5 km long terrain. Kudos to the makers of the Safari! Missed the 4X4 feature though.
http://youtu.be/Jex2AtzqXX8

Top Bottom