I recently brought Ertiga ZDi & here is an overall experience of buying & owning the car. Before I brought this car, I owned Wagon R & learned driving on my Dad’s Premier Padmini. Why New car
My Wagon R was real warhorse. 6+ years of driving & 85000 kms on odo, not even once it let me down. Absolutely no niggles & no breakdown (except one time where I drove for close to 120 kms without working horn). But I have kid of 2+years & is growing fast. It was becoming difficult to carry 4 adults with child seat thrown in. In my opinion Wagon R is more comfortable with 4 adults only. Thus, the hunt started for new car. Why Ertiga
Having used petrol cars extensively I was very sure that I wanted to buy diesel vehicle as my next car. The criteria put forward was, car has to be spacious, well settled product, spare parts/service shouldn't be an issue in smaller cities, mileage shouldn't cost a bomb & above all it has be within price range of INR 10L. Which were other cars considered before buying? Scorpio S6+
- This car was in contention for a while but the reviews about Mahindra’s after sales were dampening. There isn’t a second thought about this car being a superb product. Also the mileage & price were factors to move away from this car. I did not consider the lower variants owing to non-availability of ABS
& Airbags. Ecosports
- This was super favorite to be my next car. I went for test drive & the space available inside the car worked against it. Comparing it with Wagon R was comparing Apple to Orange but somehow I felt I would be in wagon R with better looks & better features because of the similarity in spaciousness. Duster
– Another great product. Good car with feel fresh feeling. But again it was 5 seater. Also my worry was about getting it serviced in Interior parts of India (Read towns). Launch of 4X4 option has made this an exciting car. If my constraint wasn’t of more number of seat. This car would have been home. Ertiga
– Being a loyal customer of Maruti Suzuki for more than 6+ years by subconscious mind wasn’t letting me switch to other brand. But I wanted to be sure that I gauge products available in the market before I buy a 10L car. I drove my cousins Ertiga couple of times & was very impressed with its drivability. This car was giving ample of seating options. Roomy cabin, excellent mileage (What I read in various reviews) & ZDi model ticked most of the features that I wanted in the car. (I was looking for Airbags & ABS
as must features in car).
I did not check out other sedan cars in similar price brackets as I was more inclined towards SUV/MPV type of cars. Booking & Delivery
There are 3 dealer around the place I stay. MY CAR, Wakad, SAI SERVICE, Hinjewadi & SUMAN KIRTI, Pashan. After visiting all these dealers I shortlisted My Car & Sai Service. I requested quotation from both dealers & offers I would be getting. I also informed them that I would be booking the car on 7th of Feb 2015. Sai service did not had a vehicle for Test drive but the test vehicle was available with My car. MY CAR Sales executive who was assigned to was not available in showroom but he arranged for my test drive. I took the drive to my home to see whether I can accommodate the vehicle in allotted parking space within apartment. Also took my family (Mom, Dad, Wifey & Kid) for a spin. So the vehicle was almost loaded with 5 adults and a kid. Took it on highway, some rough patches & couple of main roads in my area. It is important that your family members also have a say in your car buying decision. Test drive done, everyone happy. I decide to book the vehicle.
Sai service was offering me discount of Rs.7000/- on accessories that I planned to buy, where as MY CAR was yet not decided on what to offer. Staff from both dealer was courteous which was adding to my confusion from whom to buy. I decide that I will buy from MY CAR. I go to showroom for booking. It was altogether different scene when I reached for booking. Sales executive was not yet back. He was busy with other customer. His immediate supervisor takes me to team leader for finalizing the deal & booking. I wasn’t convinced with the treatment given. Her approach was like we will not give you any deal & it is up to you to book. I took a moment & decide to talk Sai Service. These guys were more than ready for my booking. They even mentioned that they come home to take the booking. Anyway I decide to visit there showroom as the distance from MY CAR is hardly 4-5 kms. Finally booking is done. I was not very sure about the color that I wanted to buy. I wanted to go for White but spouse was against it. So I asked to him to give a day to decide the color. The sales guys mentioned it shouldn’t be problem. Color can be changed once my decision is done. I mention silky silver at the time of booking. It was close to 6.30 PM (Saturday) when I did the booking through cheque. SE mentioned I will get the receipt of booking on Monday & meanwhile I can decide and let me know color of the car. (Either Silky Silver or Granite Grey).
Monday morning I inform him that I will go for Granite grey. Since the vehicle was available in stock they promised to make the vehicle available for inspection by Wednesday & here comes the twister.
I had applied for job in Goa & wasn’t sure if I would go for it. I get a call Goa informing the Department head from overseas is in India, he wants to interact with me & I am called to Goa on Wednesday. I called up Sai Service SE & informed him that I will be able to inspect the vehicle only on Thursday. As the fate has to be I am offered a job in Goa. Well now I am in dilemma either to continue with booking & take MH vehicle to Goa or should I cancel the booking & get new one from Goa. I decide to cancel the booking & get new one from Goa. I called up Sai service guys & informed them of what has happened. They were courteous enough to take my cancellation.
I could not visit there showroom on Thursday as I was busy with preparing my separation from current organization. I visit them on Friday with Gift for SE & his team leader for cancellation. Next day (14th Feb) my brother in law books the vehicle with Chowgule Industries on my behalf. The sales team leader is my brother in law’s classmate which helped me to get considerable amount of discount off on-road price. Also sales guy informed me of vehicle availability in stock & requested to come down to Goa for inspection. He also assured me that he can deliver the vehicle within a day with registration. So I book my tickets to pick the vehicle on 21st of Feb.
After inspecting the vehicle till I am satisfied I make full payment to the dealer. The registration process starts somewhere around 12.30PM. Meanwhile I spend my time with accessory fitment guys. By 6’ o clock in the evening vehicle was ready for delivery with number plate fitted on it. Before I take the keys I convey my thanks to get everything done within such short notice & as token of appreciation I give them gifts. Accessories added at dealer place
3M Engine coating, Front & Rear bumper protector strips, Body side moldings, AC filter, Rear Camera with sensors, 3M underbody coating. Got door sill plates as complimentary. Overall owning experience
Opinion expressed is based on driving close to 1500 kms (Current ODO reading). I know it is too early to judge the car but I am must say I am really impressed by the performance of the vehicle. I have driven other vehicles but not to the extent I have driven Wagon R & now Ertiga. Drivability
- It is very easy to drive. It has got rev happy engine, barring initial turbo lag. But you get used to it as you munch kilometers. I have adjusted driver seat to highest position & I get good visibility. Steering is very responsive. Gear shift & Engine
– I was so much used to gear shifts in Wagon R, it feels butter smooth in Ertiga. Very neat & short throw. (I am not very sure but other vehicle which I felt the same was Hyundai i10). With close to 90BHP power under the hood you would hardly be able make it out it as diesel engine. Sound system
– I am not very finicky about music (sound). I am happy that I can play music either through USB or CD or can connect by mobile through AUX. ZDi has 2 twitters apart from 4 speaker. I felt no need to upgrade to other speakers. (It comes with Nippon speakers). Brakes
– This one is the best part of it. I never really felt confident with Wagon R braking but in Ertiga it much better. Neat & clean braking. Absolutely no fuss. With ABS
on board it is so effective that more than couple of times I ended hitting it harder than required. Fuel economy
– One of the reasons for choosing this vehicle. It is very light on your wallet. I am getting close to 20kmpl with both city & highway drive. I am used to tankful - tankful method & I usually refill once I cross 500kms. I wanted to test when the fuel warning comes up & I was confirmed that sensor is malfunctioning because it did not come up despite driving more than 650 kms. I made up my mind that I will show this issue to ASS
. But the warning lamp came very next day 668 kms. I refilled the 33 Liters fuel after that, getting mileage of 20.4 kmpl. Pretty impressive. Miscellaneous
– It has really powerful AC. Till date I have not gone beyond the blower speed 2. Rear AC vents also play important role in cooling the cabin space faster. Rear wiper which I sorely missed in earlier vehicle. Good solid front wipers. Blinkers on ORVM. Bottle holder for every door (not available in my earlier vehicle). Good ground clearance. Things which could have been better Headlamps
– Stock bulbs are pathetic. They barely light up the road. I miss my Neolite aux lamps. With TATA’s launching vehicles with projector lamps which are lesser in price, it time that Maruti also thinks on similar line. Central locking
– I don’t if it is good thing but I all doors don’t get unlocked once driver door is unlocked. I now need to tell everyone to unlock door first before they make an attempt to open the door. It is debatable point whether Maruti should have continued with earlier option. Interior color
– It is absolutely nightmare to maintain interior. With sea of beige Maruti makes sure that I procure products available to maintain interiors. Combination of a darker shade & beige would have been great. Horn location
– Either you have large hand or smaller, you have stretch to reach the horn. The location could have been better because every time you honk you need to take off one hand from steering.
Aftermarket accessories added Headlamp upgrade
– Upgraded to Philips 90/100 W bulbs with Minda relay. Seats
– Fitted art leather seats, steering wheel cover. Floor lamination also done from same source. Sunfilms
– Silver series LLUMAR sunfilms on all glasses except front windshield. Noodle mat
– Brought a roll of noodle mat (20 Sq. Ft) & cut them as per requirement.
I need to fit Aux lamps - Neolite 1010 will be my choice.
Well I can definitely say this is absolutely VFM
car. I would recommend to everyone who is willing to buy MPV with price bracket of 10L.