My Hunt For a Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First of all to introduce myself, I am a automobile enthusiastic and love reading Threads and ownership reviews no matter what vehicle make / type. I am basically from Mangalore, currently working in UAE.

Ive had passion for vehicles from my school days and whenever get to see new vehicles will make it a point to get information on the same. The place near to where I stay back in Mangalore had a Bus Body building workshop and garage and I still have memories spending a lot of my free time over there [:D].

Well to come to the topic, I had been inspired by the Maruti 800 my friend had got for a very good price. I must say it is almost a maintenance free car. We've had a lot of trips in this small work horse without any major issues.

Then the bug in me started biting me to get my hands on a 800 too.
I tried a lot of dealers in and around my place, although of no use as some cars had a lot of work to be done, some of them were good although out of my budget and some were just not worth it.

Finally started looking on websites and found a 800 in Bangalore, Looked neat in and out, Spoke to the owner and fixed up to meet.

This was a 94 model without a/c. Soon as I met up the owner in person he told me about a few things as to how he maintained the car all these years and also explained that how services were only done at MASS. Went and checked the vehicle. I had mixed feelings looking at the body, there were dents throughout, especially quarter and side panels. He asked me to have a test drive. We hopped in and that's when i got a smile on my face. I was happy. It was smooth with a good pick up. All switches, electricals in place. The Odo reading was 32k kms. He already owns 2 other cars and said that after his daughter had moved to the US the car had rarely been used. (Hope so to be true). It was just serviced a few days back and the tyres too were pretty new. Negotiated a little, fixed the deal signed off the papers and it was time to drive my new car home.

Please find the Images from the below links as I am unable to post these pictures from my introduction thread.

Filled up the tank, Checked tyre pressures including spare wheel and checked all tools and vrooommm.....There wasn't a single trouble driving the car from Bangalore to Mangalore. Left Jayanagar 9th block at 5pm and reached Mangalore by 1am. Had experienced little showers in between Hassan and Sakleshpur. The car was making me feel confident however I had to keep the speeds well below my limits as I din want to push It all at once. Had faced a lot of difficulty at the Ghats as buses plying to Bangalore were almost making me blind with their bright Head lights. Me dipping lights also dint work as most of these drivers never tend to change the beams. I was happy taking my own time and crossed Shiradi Ghat with a lot of patience. I also have to admit that the throw of the headlights were way down below satisfactory, so had to be extra careful. Anyway It was quite adventurous as this was my first drive all alone and that too covering this distance most of it at night, that too with a car I just picked a few hours ago. [:)]

Once reached Mangalore, took the car to a well known Mechanic Mr Bhat, he inspected the car and told me some minor repairs like front disc pads and rear right side brake cylinder to be replaced. Handbrake cable was changed and tuned the idling a bit. I was driving since then and had not done any mods for the next 4 months. The first mod i considered was to fit a a/c to the car. I have a friend whose dad has a autoelectrical garage. I had put a word to him regarding the same and he had assured that he would get one from bunder (a very well known place in Mangalore for finding auto parts , like gujiri). Since they know the product very well I left the responsibility on him.

He called me after 2 weeks and informed that the entire unit was ready from a newer generation maruti 800. There was also the Type2 dash, but I din't want to replace as I wanted to retain the originals. Took the car and dropped it in the workshop. Got delivery the next day evening. Went on a drive with him and volla. [clap]. He had done a good job and I was satisfied. I can say that in mid afternoons it keeps the temperature just bearable but cool rest of the time. In between this time I have also changed both the Headlamp reflector assemblys to brand new Minda make.

My next Upgrade for the car was an ICE. The car came with a cassette and radio player which was totally dead. It had two speakers at the rear trunk side boards. I love listening to music and would always prefer atleast decent quality of throw. I then Installed a Sony Xplod CD with USB player and a set of 4 inch Xplod Speakers that I had retained from my Dads Omni when he sold it. In the meanwhile I had also ordered online a set of JBL Oval Speakers to be installed at the rear. Got a plank fabricated with the mat material by a nearby wood works fellow for the rear trunk, got the holes drilled for the JBL speakers and fit, all connections done and works fine. I had the remaining set of 4 inch Xplod speakers however couldnt find a place to fit them at the front at that time. After the car has been restored I have fit these speakers at the front door pads next to the inner door handles. Now the sound is amazing.

Attachments

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
That must have felt really good driving the car for the first time thinking that finally it's your car [:)] a very nice write-up and it is pretty interesting. Congrats on your car [thumbsup]

Btw , 94 model and just 32k kms comes as a surprise to me.

bhvm

Honoured Member
congrats on buying your'legend on the wheels'

seriously missing the pics and more details.

as you have already installed minda relay, simply upgrade headlight to 100/90 bulbs for those high beamers!

Thread Starter #4
That must have felt really good driving the car for the first time thinking that finally it's your car [:)] a very nice write-up and it is pretty interesting. Congrats on your car [thumbsup]

Btw , 94 model and just 32k kms comes as a surprise to me.
Yes Indeed. That's when I asked him twice about the odo reading. He says so and I hope so...[:)]

congrats on buying your'legend on the wheels'

seriously missing the pics and more details.

as you have already installed minda relay, simply upgrade headlight to 100/90 bulbs for those high beamers!
The relays have been installed. But upgrade to 100/90 bulbs Im not sure as I have read in many threads that It would be necessary to change the wiring kit.

I hope the links are working. [confused]

I have posted the links for the pics. I hope its working. [confused]

Last edited by a moderator:

bhvm

Honoured Member
The relays have been installed. But upgrade to 100/90 bulbs Im not sure as I have read in many threads that It would be necessary to change the wiring kit.
1. I guess the relay comes built with wiring kit so you can upgrade without problems. still confirm it with your Mechanic for safety.

2. your Audio upgrade is good. I see you'll have to make boxes for xplod speakers and place them below seats.

3. for the images to work, you need to use the IMG tags.

Thread Starter #6
1. I guess the relay comes built with wiring kit so you can upgrade without problems. still confirm it with your Mechanic for safety.

2. your Audio upgrade is good. I see you'll have to make boxes for xplod speakers and place them below seats.

3. for the images to work, you need to use the IMG tags.
Yes Bhvm, Ill have to check that with my mechanic this time when I get back home on vacation. My Dad drives the car now but not very often. But for the matter of fact, I have also installed 4 Neolite lamps at the front Bumper (I know it sounds and also looks wacky :biggrin: but just for maddness). Pics will be uploaded soon.
And coming to the speakers, as I said It has already been installed at the side door panels of the front door.

Thread Starter #8
I have a lot of plans to do interiors and exteriors. My next Upgrade was a decent paint job. Was literally confused between Silver and White. Dad's opinion was white. Mom and sis were pitching for Silver or the original Blue. I wasn't satisfied with the shades, no matter what I just couldnt get the right colour. I had seen a Silver, Latest model 800 with blackened B pillars and neat Alloys (Will add the pic ). I thought That was it and went with my painter to the paint shop to confirm the shade, and there I go again........ Again saw a darker shade of grey and really liked the colour. Metallic Grey.. Yess... that was the colour.
Car was in the Workshop, Bought all required materials and handed over to the painter. The car was untouched for the first day. I was so inquisitive that I would make it a point to visit the paint shop atleast twice a day. The first thing to start with was to remove beedings from glass areas. In the meanwhile as mentioned earlier, my friends 800 was on sale and he had asked me If I wanted the brownish shade windscreen which was on his car, I was happy with the same as I personally feel that atleast a little tint always adds on cosmetic looks. We exchanged the windscreens and that was to go into my car. The car was stripped down without touching the Engine bay, It was an empty shell and one of the wheel well had a patch work to be done. Rest of the body was fine other than the dents. The whole tinkering process took almost 2 to 3 weeks. As we know, our mechanics have their own excuses [frustration]. I din't want to tell them to hurry up as was concerned with the quality of the job. My Friend Akshay, whose the owner of the other 800 has very good knowledge about vehicles, an Elevator Mchnc Supervisor by profession but deals with almost petrol, diesel equipments. By the way he also owns a Contessa Classic 98 model 2.0 diesel [:)]. He used to accompany me throughout and has helped me a lot in getting my car to shape.

The Silver 800 Id seen and had thought about the same colour.

Attachments

Last edited:
in recent times for new car buyers maruti 800 is the main priority,
excellent car though
i too got a 2001 model and very happy for it
my car is having the rear suspension too low and it is a very big problem in potholes and uneven roads
i want to replace the rear suspension ,what will be the price for rear suspension overhaul
and post some pictures after paint job
proud m800 owners :D

Recently i got the rear coils and dampers changed for a MPFI zen(My neighbours) - it costed 2.4k spares, 800 too should be in that range (assuming yours is a type 2)

Congrats Zuki on your Carb legend. Carb cars are from a totally different world, no way like the new MPFi's. Old is gold.

Please post more pics

Thread Starter #13
in recent times for new car buyers maruti 800 is the main priority,
excellent car though
i too got a 2001 model and very happy for it
my car is having the rear suspension too low and it is a very big problem in potholes and uneven roads
i want to replace the rear suspension ,what will be the price for rear suspension overhaul
and post some pictures after paint job
proud m800 owners :D
Hi Srikanth, I am not really sure about the price of the suspension. I havent faced any issues till date nor I have overhauled them.

Thread Starter #14
Recently i got the rear coils and dampers changed for a MPFI zen(My neighbours) - it costed 2.4k spares, 800 too should be in that range (assuming yours is a type 2)

Congrats Zuki on your Carb legend. Carb cars are from a totally different world, no way like the new MPFi's. Old is gold.

Please post more pics
Thank You ss80. Many of them have told me about why wasting money on this car and all that stuff, But I guess its only we, car enthusiasts know the value and Joy of keeping these machines up and running.
Happy Motoring.. Cheers [drive]

Top Bottom