Bobo: My 2007 Esteem VXi - Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
After writing a review for Bebe ( my 2015 Honda city ), I thought it was only appropriate to write a review about her elder brother Bobo ( my 2007 Esteem VXI).

Going back to the history
In 2007 my dad bought an Esteem VXI and a ford Fiesta(which he sold later when they were migrating from Coimbatore to Bangalore). I was in London at that time, came home on holidays and clicked some pictures of the car, right now I am glad that unknowingly I did take the pictures and now I can put the pictures here. Few pictures when the can was a month old.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Bobo: My 2007 Esteem VXI - Long term Ownership

Bobo Comes to me
I returned from UK in 2012 after my marriage and by then my parents had migrated to Bangalore. Since my sister and my brother in law stay with my parents, my dad had the Esteem and also bought a Honda City. My brother in law had an i20. Since I live near my wife’s place of work I need a car and instead of buying a new car my dad gifted me the Esteem, so bobo is mine and I was so happy and proud to drive around in him. [:D]

Wise men make wise decisions

Boy it was the right decision my dad made of not letting me buy a new car. After driving in UK, driving in Bangalore was like driving in a battle field where I am driving to avoid landmines. Bikes coming left right center, potholes so big that, why send any mission to moon, we have bigger craters right here in namma Bangaluru. If you survive all that then the blue color scud missile (BMTC bus) comes to destroy you. In 2012 the roads in Bangalore were so bad that I was contemplating removing all shock absorbers from my Esteem and re installing them once the roads are fixed.
When my dad gave me the Esteem in 2012 even though it was 5 yrs old it had only clocked 20000 km on ODO. He had hardly driven the car. He had replaced the tires with Michelin (very good tiers I still have the same tires and still going strong). Now the ODO reads 75000 kms. So the tires have done 55000 kms.

The car so far

So this is the second Esteem in our family, when I was in college my dad owned a white 1995 Esteem LX which had the original Japanese engine.
Esteem is one reliable car that Suzuki has made.

• The car is 7+ years old and has seen the worst of Bangalore roads still there is no rattling inside or out.
  • Very good suspensions. My friend has a VW polo and when 4 people sit in his car it touches all the bumps on the road. Esteem with same 4 people never once has touched any bump. It’s a very low car but with amazing suspensions and GC.
  • The car is best suited for Bangalore as it’s a small sedan and can navigate any small road in Bangalore and parking is a piece of cake.
  • The plus side is it’s a sedan and has a very good boot space to put all the shopping away.
  • The FE is average in city driving I get around 10kmpl with ac on and on highways I get 16kmpl with A/C on.
  • The max speed that it can do is 130Kmph and after that the steering starts to shake.
  • The A/C is excellent; just fill in the gas when it runs low otherwise no problem and it can be compared to any of the best cars of today.
  • Very Reliable. We have done 5 long drives and till date the car has never broken down not even flat tire (touch wood).
There was this one long drive when five of us had gone to Calicut and on the way back we had to cross Bandipur tiger reserve. We were not aware that it closes by 9:30 pm , by the time we reached, the road had closed and we had to take a detour. It was a state highway but the roads were fit only for off road vehicles. But in spite of it besides me everyone else was sound asleep.

There was this time when I was really busy with work and I couldn’t get the car serviced for 15000kms, and not even once did the car trouble me.
I am someone who likes to keep the car in stock condition so it’s still the same below are few pictures I had taken a few days back.

Attachments

Last edited:
Arun dude,

It is great that even after 8 years in the 'Battlefield' as you said, it still looks new and even no scraches visible. Esteem is a good car, if you give little care it last more than a decade and lakhs of Kms easily.

Please do change the Engine oil & gear oil in a 7.5 K KM interval or recommended (10 K KM) interval. Looks like your fog lamps damaged in the picture. Please do replace it to make it perfect. It'll cost Rs.1250 per original piece in MGP shops.

This model Esteem easily cross 150Km/hr speed, though breaks feel not powerful. Do wheel balncing and alignment to avoid vibrations.

I guess the tire Size is 175/70-13 and if these michelin tires lasted you more than 55K KM and still have enough tread, then it really great tires. Appolo Accelere(155/80-13) in my car(Lxi 2006) lasted only 35 K km.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Arun, We both share a lot in common! Seeing a well maintained Esteem is a pleasure. And straight coming from the heart, though it might be discontinued but this car is worth the money. In today's time, with car prices soaring, car like Esteem still efficiently performs well as a comfortable sedan. Those days, in 5 Lac, this car served the dreams and desires of a person who wanted a Sedan.

Even I after owning this car for almost 9 years can't muster up the courage to give it off even after owning 2 other cars. Releesh is one more lover of Esteem here and has the same shade as we both have. Do take good care of it and it would never disappoint you.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
It still looks like a new car.[clap]
I think lots of thread is still remaining, any closer shots of your tire?
Thanks buddy, my car will be happy to hear that he still looks young. Sure will post some pictures tomorrow.

Arun dude,

It is great that even after 8 years in the 'Battlefield' as you said, it still looks new and even no scraches visible.
Thanks Releesh, really love the car, so even seeing a hairline scratch break my heart.

Please do change the Engine oil & gear oil in a 7.5 K KM interval or recommended (10 K KM) interval.
Agree with you fully on this, it was just this one time when i missed it, but will ensure to follow what you have said.

Looks like your fog lamps damaged in the picture. Please do replace it to make it perfect. It'll cost Rs.1250 per original piece in MGP shops.
I went to couple of Maruthi service centers here and they quoted atleast 7500 for the fog lamp assembly. They have said that I need to change the entire assembly. I didn't know what it was and felt that they are taking me for a ride. So didn't go ahead with it.

I guess the tire Size is 175/70-13 and if these michelin tires lasted you more than 55K KM and still have enough tread, then it really great tires. Appolo Accelere(155/80-13) in my car(Lxi 2006) lasted only 35 K km.
Yea they are amazing. I will post some close up pictures of the tire and the tread tomorrow. The tire looks good for few more miles, but when I go for change I will keep your advise in mind.

Arun, We both share a lot in common! Seeing a well maintained Esteem is a pleasure. And straight coming from the heart, though it might be discontinued but this car is worth the money.
Even I after owning this car for almost 9 years can't muster up the courage to give it off even after owning 2 other cars.
I am also planning a technical thread that can centrally address issues and solutions of Esteem. All the members who own one can share their thoughts on it. What Say?

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash, this car is worth every penny. At times I feel its not a car its a monument of reliability (touch wood). You are right about the fact that you won't feel like letting go of the car. During the process of buying my City I did plan to sell it, but just didn't have the heart to do it.
Please do start the thread that you are planning it will be really good. Like I didn't know till Releesh told me that I can get my fog lamps replaced for 1500. There will be many things like this that we can share, so please do start the thread and let me know when it goes live.

Congratulations for your long term ownership of Bobo, superbly narrated review of your esteem buddy.[clap].Its maintained perfectly as in out of showroom.
Are those the OEM wheel caps looks different then the ones given from MGA.
Once my cousins swift got an accident and dealer offered us same shade esteem vxi 15k on the odo as replacement car till swift was given back.We all loved the car soo much that offered to buy that car from them which dealer politely denied as its their replacement car kept for clients.
Post some interiors pictures as well aakash.

Thread Starter #11
Congratulations for your long term ownership of Bobo, superbly narrated review of your esteem buddy.[clap].Its maintained perfectly as in out of showroom.
Are those the OEM wheel caps looks different then the ones given from MGA.
We all loved the car soo much that offered to buy that car from them
Post some interiors pictures as well aakash.
Thanks for the word of appreciation for my car and my write up.
The wheel caps are OEM, but you are right I have seen Esteem's with different wheel caps as well.
Will post more pics of interiors tomorrow

Regards
Arun

Oh my good, You did 55k on this?[surprise] Considering this it will last for another 20k kms

Whats the recommended psi for the car esteem and how much do you keep in this Michelin tires?

Thread Starter #13
Hey Kichu, I don't know what is the recommended psi for esteem but i usually maintain 32 for all the tires. Last time after my car came from Maruthi servicing the tire pressure was at 45 psi, I got it reduced to 32. So I don't know if I am right or the Maruthi guys.

Top Bottom