Toyota Fortuner 4WD MT 2014 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Last week took delivery of Toyota Fortuner 4WD MT. Will post ownership review in detail. Few highlights

1. Decision making
- After dilly dallying over Pajero Sport, Fortuner, Rexton, XUV500, Ertiga and various other 3 row cars, decided to opt for Fortuner
- Key factors influenced me to chose Fortuner
(a) Wanted to buy 3 row car, other than Innova
(b) Basic features we were expecting
- 3 row car, functional 3rd row
- Reliability & good after sales support
- Equal or better ground clearance than Innova
- 1200 Kms drive every month (about 700 in city and 500 on highway/rural roads)

Shortlisted both Pajero sport and Fortuner.

Last row usability, 2nd row adjustment tilted decision in favor of Fortuner. Also availability of 2014 December 4*4 MT model. Had excise duty benefits remained till 31st March, probably would have still gone for Pajero Sport.​

2. Ownership costs so far
(A) Price break-up -
Fortuner 4WD FB - Ex show room price : 23,83,594
Road tax in Bangalore : 476,245
Registration charges : 700 (misc RTO charges)
Total paid to dealer Rs. 28,60,539

Registration charges reduced from Rs. 6500 to Rs. 700, on discussion with Nandi Toyota.

Accessories provided as complimentary by Nandi Toyota
- Ganesha Idol, Floor mats (not good quality), Fender mirror and Luggage tray

(B) Insurance availed outside
- Dealer insurance was expensive about 80,000+
- i have availed 35% No Claim Bonus (NCB) transfer by recent Innova sale (NCB transfer is process worth trying out, as it saves about 10000 to 25000 depend upon your NCB). Took comprehensive, zero depriciation insurance about Rs. 35,500 from TATA AIG (including 35% NCB)

(C) Additional accessories purchased
1. C-track rear bumper : Rs. 5800
2. Elegant Basic Floor mats : Rs. 1700
3. Hamaan Card DVD player - 2 Hook on monitors for headrests : Rs. 10,500

So total costs spent so far approx. 29,15,000

3. Ownership experience so far

A. Positives
1. Spacious 3 rows[:)]
2. Powerful headlights, and night drive is very comfortable on highways [clap]
3. Excellent road presence
4. Good highway ride

B. Negatives
1. Stiff ride quality : Leather seats are very hard not comfy compared to Innova for that matter i10 [frustration]
2. Rigid gear change
4. Problems faced so far to be discussed in 1st service
(a) Boot door not closing properly (sales person informed can be fixed in 1st service)
(b) When you press the accelerator the gear stick moves towards to you by about 1 centimeter..

For the time being if you have any feedback on above 2 issues please provide suggestion / recommendation.
Couple of pictures on the day of the delivery is attached. The person wearing tie is Samuel David - Sales advisor from Nandi Toyota, Museum road, Bangalore.

More later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Delivery of the Fortuner 4WD MT (2014 December Model) complete

Heartiest congratulations on your toyota Fortuner.Wishing you and your family many happy miles with it.It has its own road presence which you would be surely enjoying.
For a 30L price range vehicle, i would have loved more better interiors compared to what toyota is offering on its T Fort.
Enjoy your ride and keep updating your ownership thread.

Thread Starter #3

Heartiest congratulations on your toyota Fortuner.Wishing you and your family many happy miles with it.It has its own road presence which you would be surely enjoying.
For a 30L price range vehicle, i would have loved more better interiors compared to what toyota is offering on its T Fort.
Enjoy your ride and keep updating your ownership thread.
Vijay

Absolutely i am in consent with you. Fortuner is not as comfortable vehicle as people perceive, and its interiors are as good as i10 i own. And pricewise Fortuner costs a bomb, and its not really worth it.

However most costs in Toyota Fortuner in form of various duties like Excise duty, Value added tax and roadtax and may be some sercice taxes and cesses..

In developed countries Fortuner probably will be not be sold even for Rs. 10-12 lakhs.
Unfortunately Toyota and Mahindra not bringing better quality vehicles, and Suzuki not giving better 3 row vehicle in India. Hopefully we would have better competition this year thru Ford Endeavor, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Renault Lodgy, Chevrolet Spin and others. I have waited for almost 2 years, and couldnt wait more :-(

Re: Toyota Fortuner 4WD MT (2014) Ownership Review

Congrats Vijay on your new set of wheels. [clap] Though the feature set and comfort levels may not be upto the level of other cars in the same segment or may be some cars in other segments, just the road presence of the car is one of the main reason why people are still ready to pay such a premium for this car. Right now I own a scorpio and am contemplating buying Fortuner in the future but am holding back as the new refreshed model is due for 2016. Also I want to check the new Ford Endeavour and seeing the pictures it looks amazing. BTW do keep updating your ownership experience as it is going to be invaluable for people like us who are thinking of buying it in the future. One question though didn't the dealer offer you any discounts

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Toyota Fortuner. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Color choice was good.

bhvm

Honoured Member

this is daylight robbery ! 30L for fortuner??
makes more sense to look at 3 series BMW or even a used 530D. or e250d Mercedes.
sorry for being upright, even I own a fortuner and it's Max worth 14L. yes even less than xuv 500.

both the xuv 500 and tata Safari storme offier stiff competition to Toyotas. exp the xuv can have this segment for breakfast. I own both vehicles so speaking from experience.

Last edited:

Congratulations Vijay on your new T fort. T badge has its own price tag and yes its a good overall in long term once you start seeing service bills. (that is what i have read in other forums). I would have considered Santafe for creature comforts and its plush interiors are to drool for and has huge road presence. Do update more photos and more interior pics and more nitty gritties of fortuner. Thanks.

Congrats Vijayvm - you cant get it wrong with a fortuner, between this and sport there is really very little - just a matter of where you tilt. I was in the same dilemma, someday the greedy me wants them both.

I have a major grouse though - the photos you have uploaded so far dont do justice at all. Please upload detailed images for every nook and corner, interior as well as exterior.

Wish you many many safe miles.

Thread Starter #10

Congrats Vijay on your new set of wheels. [clap] One question though didn't the dealer offer you any discounts
Thanks a lot.
1. Dealer didn't offer me any cash discounts. Dealer has provided Fender mirror, Luggage tray and not so good foot mats.
2. However after negotiating, he has reduced handling charges from 6500 to 700
3. Also i have chosen to purchase the insurance from outside agency, which saved almost 30,000 +. This savings resulted due to 2 reasons (i) External insurance in cheaper (ii) Application of 35% No claim bonus

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Toyota Fortuner. Color choice was good.
Thanks a lot.. had option to chose 3 colors - Super White, Black and Silky Gold. Personally would have preferred Super White, but family preferred Silky Gold :-)

Congratulations Vijay on your new T fort. T badge has its own price tag and yes its a good overall in long term once you start seeing service bills. (that is what i have read in other forums). I would have considered Santafe for creature comforts and its plush interiors are to drool for and has huge road presence. Do update more photos and more interior pics and more nitty gritties of fortuner. Thanks.
Thanks.
1. Hopefully maintenance costs are low for Fortuner.
2. I did consider Hyundai Santafe, and was waiting an year ago for its release. However 3rd row entry and exit is not good for human beings :-). In addition its priced too high for what it offers and that reflected in its sales numbers..
3. Sure will add more photos in coming days

this is daylight robbery ! 30L for fortuner??
I own both vehicles so speaking from experience.
Agree with you. Toyota is robbing the customers. And customers are gullible due to Indian Government policies too..

Congrats Vijayvm -
I have a major grouse though - the photos you have uploaded so far dont do justice at all. Please upload detailed images for every nook and corner, interior as well as exterior.
Wish you many many safe miles.
Thanks for your wishes. Agree with you. My heart thought about Pajero, where as my mind prevailed over Fortuner [:)]
Will post few more pictures in coming days.

Absolutely i am in consent with you. Fortuner is not as comfortable vehicle as people perceive, and its interiors are as good as i10 i own. And pricewise Fortuner costs a bomb, and its not really worth it.

However most costs in Toyota Fortuner in form of various duties like Excise duty, Value added tax and roadtax and may be some sercice taxes and cesses..
Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS to you on being a proud owner of a brand new TOYOTA FORTUNER! Great & majestic looking SUV. Good choice!

I agree, the cost of the Fortuner is high mainly due to taxes etc. On top, I heard that TOYOTA hardly ever gives any offers or discounts on their best selling vehicles like the INNOVA & FORTUNER.

INR 30L may seem high now, but if you look at the trend of INNOVA & FORTUNER pricing by TOYOTA, even with simple interiors, they keep increasing prices and guess what, even with increased prices, they still are high on their sales charts. So even with 30L, be assured, Fortuner prices will only go up in years to come and TOYOTA will still sell decent numbers of Fortuners.....thanks to the Indian customer....who really does not have too much choice in this SUV category at the moment.

Thread Starter #12

I have started driving Fortuner for 1 long drive and couple of city drives. Facing a major issue related to comfort - rather serious discomfort. [frustration]

(a) Backaches is very high and unbearable after these drives in fortuner. I never had back aches before this. [cry]

Questions to other Fortuner owners/enthusiasts
1. Whether there must be any reasoning behind this ?
2. Did any other members experience this issue
3. Is there any way to prevent this ?

Its very new vehicle < 600 KMs; Not altered any tyre pressure too, from the day delivery taken from the dealership.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

Vijay, try putting a pillow on the seat to prop you up. fortuner has seats that kinda 'sink' you in which could be uncomfortable. try some thin padding on the back too.

adjust your head rest and use neck pillows. please adjust the position of seats.

I have started driving Fortuner for 1 long drive and couple of city drives. Facing a major issue related to comfort - rather serious discomfort. [frustration]

(a) Backaches is very high and unbearable after these drives in fortuner. I never had back aches before this. [cry]

Questions to other Fortuner owners/enthusiasts
1. Whether there must be any reasoning behind this ?
2. Did any other members experience this issue
3. Is there any way to prevent this ?

Its very new vehicle < 600 KMs; Not altered any tyre pressure too, from the day delivery taken from the dealership.
Vijay, I own the AT version and have driven around 18000 kms in very bad road to great road. I never had any problem with my back and I am 60 ++. I suggest you find a good comfortable position to drive and do relaxed driving. Over some time you will start loving the vehicle and will be smiling for long ,very long. Congratulation.

Facing a major issue related to comfort - rather serious discomfort.
Toyota suggests to have 29psi on all Tyres. Most of the vehicles upon delivery may have more than 35psi pressure on all Tyres. They should reduce to recommended psi before deliver to customer. Delivery people may skip this. So confirm the tyre pressure. Fortuner is having Dunlop AT20 tyre which is having more width (265) compared to OEM Bridgestone Dueler Tyre (245). The bounce effect will be more on patched roads. Fortuner is having 265/65R17 Tyres. Ford Endeavour is having tyre size 245/70. Landcruiser TX (Not all) is having size 245/70R17. Downsizing the Tyre to OEM (Global) Dueler will definitely solve the issue.

Fortuner is having stiff suspension, and with wide Tyre introduce little more bounce effect, hence bumpy ride. This will settle down after the first or second free service. Driver and co-passenger won't feel much, only second row passengers may feel more. Nippon Toyota (Kerala Delar) is offering upgrade in shock absorbers to reduce the bounce effect.

First try with 29 or 30psi on all tyres. Ride comfort will improve after the drive-in period or first free service. Please check here, my long drive 600+kms on first day. Believe me, I did not face any such issues.

Vijay, I own the AT version and have driven around 18000 kms in very bad road to great road.
Congratulaitons subrata. Happy, more Fortuner owners here.

Top Bottom