My Royal Bucephalus...Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI MT White Ambition Plus

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I am very happy to be a part of it.

First I would like to give a brief intro about my passion towards cars and bikes. I learnt driving during early years of my teenage. I have owned cars like Maruti 800, Hyundai i10, Tata Manza and now Skoda Rapid 1.5 MT Ambition plus till date.

In terms of two wheelers, I have owned and ridden several two wheelers like Bajaj Chetak, Hero Honda CD 100SS, Hero Honda CBZ, Yamaha Ray, Honda Dio, Honda Twister, Honda Activa 125 and currently I am riding the monolithic RE Thunderbird 350.

Fine let me not bore all the reader further. So straight away get into the topic.

Please don’t break your head as to what is Bucephalus. It was the royal horse of Alexander the Great and one of the most famous horses of antiquity.

Now the story:

Mid of 2014, I started thinking to get a car for me though my Manza 1.3 MJD was doing its duty diligently. Initially I was looking at C1 segment cars only and Honda Amaze looked like the best option to me. Having driven the 1.3 QJD diesel in Manza, I thought I want something different and not the MJD again. No complaints about the 1.3 MJD. It is truly a gem of an engine. But I was looking for a change as the very evident turbo lag was a bit annoying for me in the city runs even though I got used to the dynamics of the national engine. This constraint left me with very little options in the C1 segment.

Honda Amaze-
I was very excited till the time I test drove the car. I was aware about the ugly looking interiors of Amaze, but still the 1.5 L engine made me think about Amaze.
All my excitement got shattered when I test drove the car. Though the city drivability was good, the engine noise was terribly annoying to me. Absolutely no noise insulation at all. Also the rear seat comfort was pathetic. I was constantly hearing a humming sound in the cabin when the car was running. The quality of interiors looked very cheap and made me think that car manufacturers like Tata are constantly improving in this aspect and a company like Honda has produced this kind of car. Really disheartening so I dropped Amaze out of the list without a second thought.

Hyundai Xcent-
Firstly 1.1L U2 CRDI mill is a joke and further the on road price of CRDI top end model is close to 9.5L on road. In my wildest dreams also I will not spend 9.5L for this car. In addition to that, to be very honest, I am not really looking at any Hyundai product. The reason being my erstwhile i10 was burning my pockets deeply in terms of fuel efficiency and maintenance. Hyundai just rips the customers. They are exorbitant. So I did not want to end up with heavy expenditure for years to come. Current state of mind said “No Hyundai cars for me”

Other C1 segment cars excluding Zest
- I did not like Mahindra Verito, Maruti Dzire, Nissan Sunny, Renault Scala, Chevy Sail sedan and Toyota Etios. So didn’t bother to examine them.

Tata Zest – “Is it the best?”

How can I miss out the great Zest. Honestly speaking, I didn’t look at Zest as one of the options for two reasons. Firstly no Tata car again and secondly due to the MJD engine (once again my thought repeated for clarity - no problem with the MJD, I just wanted a change. That’s all). No offence meant to any Zest owners or Tata loyalists. Been a Tata car owner for the past 4.5 years, I know how much pain does the Tata A.S.S guys give the owners. Not that I hate Tata cars. Indeed Tata manufacture very good car cars at very competitive prices. But they miserably fail in the A.S.S department. Hope they will grow up. Tata has a new leash to life yet again after Manza by introducing Zest. I hope they don’t break the glass once again.
Is there any other car left out in the C1 segment…. No I don’t think so. Now I am left with no options. So I decided to move onto look cars from one segment higher.

This segment is very interesting. All cars in the C2 segment are good in one way or the other.

Ford Ecosport- First time I saw the Ecosport on a highway in Tamilnadu. The moment I saw the car, I was like wow!!! what a car. I really loved the design and looks. I was very much interested to take a test drive of the 1.5 TCDI variant and one fine day dropped into the showroom. One negligent sales guy from Lathangi Motors in Bangalore said… Sir there is no test drive car available. I asked when it will arrive? He said I don’t know Sir. It has gone to a Customer’s home for TD. I was irritated and was planning to leave the showroom. That is when the Fiesta attracted me towards her. The car was fabulous in the front but not the rear. Once again went back to the same sales guy, he was very interested in pushing the Ecosport only and not the fiesta. This made me angrier. But still I was diplomatic and asked for fiesta TD…. Even that was not available. Also the discount that Lathangi offered on the fiesta was very less for such a low sales volume car. End result was all bad experience and moved out of the showroom.
After a week or so, I get a call from the sales guy stating that Ecosport TDI car is available for the TD. I was happy and said come over to my place. I test drove the car and I was not very impressed. The suspension set up was pathetic. Every pothole of the road was heavily felt. The ride quality was too bumpy. My muscles were shaking like I was on an orbitrek. May be the air pressure was not checked on the trial car or what..,. I do not know. The rear seat comfort was bad. The rear seats were very hard. The boot space was average. The 1.5L engine definitely had a good amount of turbo lag which put me off. Also I felt there is no point in carrying such a heavy car in small roads around the city when you have no space inside the cabin. What’s the point!!!! So ruled this car out.

Honda City- Having test driven the 1.5L diesel engine on the Amaze, I was not really interested in looking at City diesel. Also the variant which I was looking for was priced somewhere around 12.6L on road in Bangalore which was really not worth it.

Hyundai Verna – No Hyundai as I said earlier.

New Mahindra Scorpio - Man I really loved this macho man when I saw it for the first time. I am a heavy built guy, so these kinda cars really suits me well and I also fall for it. The driving experience was good.The city drivability was excellent. The car is built robust and abuse friendly. But severe low quality in the interiors and too many rough edges. The driver seat was very close to the door (reported in official review of Scorpio also) and my hand was hitting the door very frequently. The interiors and dashboard looked very ugly to me. The pricing of the S8 was somewhere close to 13.75L on road in Bangalore. Somewhat lost interest in the monolithic and left it over.

Renault Duster – I did like the car in terms of drivability. The suspension was fantastically tuned and the ride quality was good. But exteriors and interiors were not pleasing to me. I observed the poor ergonomics like placement of exterior mirror adjustment knob under the handbrake, audio controls and call controls under the steering instead of placing it on the steering . Plus the interiors did not feel plush. Also my people at home had a big no for the Duster. Don’t know why they felt so. Finally I had to drop it out without a choice to argue with them.

Fiat Linea - Not an MJD once again. This segment commands more powerful engine in my opinion

Maruti Ciaz- This is one very important contender I would say in this segment. I am not a fan of Maruti cars at all but however I accept that Maruti A.S.S is top notch. Naturally a person like me who has suffered with the Tata A.S.S issues would choose a car either from Maruti or Hyundai to have a peaceful ownership experience. Considering the Maruti’s brand name and its excellent resale value of its cars, the Ciaz makes good sense for those who wish to have a trouble free ownership.
But I did not get impressed with the car for three major reasons. Firstly the 1.3L MJD engine is an under performer at this segment where I personally feel at least 1.5L engine makes more sense and further as I said earlier I do not want another MJD. I keep wondering why Maruti is not capable to invent a diesel engine itself with different variants like 1.3L or 1.6L rather than always looking for Fiat’s support in this aspect. AFAIK Maruti is all time dependent on other car manufacturers for the diesel engine. First it was Peugeot now Fiat. Please correct me if I am wrong. Secondly the built quality of the car is very very flimsy. I was seriously put off when I closed the boot of Ciaz. It sounded like two piece of cheap quality tin rubbed together. Thirdly the price, the ZDI was close to 12.75L on road which is seriously not worth for this car IMHO. So dropped Ciaz out of the list.
The left out options are the German siblings Vento and Rapid. Firstly I test drove the Vento 1.5TDI. There was indeed some amount of turbo lag. The ride quality was bumpy. Overall I liked the car. But the discounts offered were not very attractive. So I had kept this car on hold till I reviewed Rapid.
Skoda Rapid was there in my mind for quite some time. Every time I saw the car on road, I did stare at it till it passed out of my eye sight. I was really excited to see the black edition advertisement in the papers and the great offers that Skoda offered. One fine day I test drove the Rapid. Out of all the cars above stated, Rapid was the car that impressed me more.
I am a kind of person who will give more importance to engine performance rather than the goodies that are offered today. I can live without those great features like Harman music systems, glove box cooling, auto fold mirrors, key less entry, blab la bla but not without a good and a dynamic engine which happens to be the soul of a car. Rest all comes second. I cannot compromise on this aspect.

More to continue.....

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: My Royal Bucephalus... Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI White Ambition plus

Car booking : Finally decided on the Rapid and made the booking on 22 December 2014 with TAFE Access, JP Nagar, Bangalore. The car reached the stock yard by the end of December . It was December 2014 make. But I had to wait till January 23, 2015 to get the car registered and take delivery due to a particular auspicious day fixed by my family people. The wait was something very cruel on me because the car is already in Bangalore lying in the stock yard under the scorching sun. I had no other option other than to wait till 23 Jan 2015.

Dealership - Vinayak vs TAFE – Both of these people are average. No second thought about it. But in my case, Vinayak Skoda was the worst. The stupid sales guy from Vinayak Skoda promised that he will work out a good deal for me and made me travel till their showroom at Marathahalli which is almost 23 kms from my residence. I was interested to close the talk over phone itself, but he wanted me to come to the showroom. He promised me that he will arrange for a discussion with his Senior. I reached the showroom and I was made to wait for almost 25 mins. I was seriously bugged up with this. Later the sales guy arrived after 25 minutes and finally he said he will discuss with his senior and get back to me. I was wondering like why the hell then you made me come all the way. I was seriously put off. I confirmed within myself that I will not buy from these uncultured souls even if they offer me a big discount. Neither the stupid sales guy came back to me nor was I interested to go back to him. I don’t know!! Even now, I am not able to understand why the Sales Guy did not call me back. Did I look like a person who will not buy a car from them or what? They lost their business. That’s all.

Now about the car:

Pros of Rapid :
1. Very good drivability around the city. Good low end torque machine
2. Ride quality is good
3. Elegant design and no over doings anywhere
4. Very good discounts and real value for money.
5. Robust and very well built
6. Great handling and good dynamics
7. Important goodies like steering mounted audio controls, one touch power windows, Bluetooth connectivity, reverse parking sensors and cruise control.
8. Good steering adjustment options
9. The arm rest is a boon during highway runs and bane in the city where you may have to pull the handbrake very frequently. So the armrest will not make sense in the city run ups.
10. AC does a good job and rear air vents are value addition.

Cons of Rapid:
1. Rear bench will not fit three people
2. Rear floor hump
3. Lack of rear wiper
4. Rear windows cannot be rolled down completely
5. Congested foot well. It may be particular to me because I use slightly heavy sandals/boots like Woodland stuff. Having degraded to normal shoes and sandals, I am quiet ok now.
6. Interiors don’t look extremely top notch when compared to the Vento.
7. The plastics used seem to be slightly inferior for this segment.
8. Gear shift is not very precise. May be this will improve over time.
9. Still unable to find a good seating position even after 1000 Kms!!
10.The car is lower in height than my Manza. This is not a problem as such, but I should get used to it. But elderly people experience difficulty to ingress and egress.
10. There is a thud sound on the speed breakers/humps if the car is not slowed down. Upon enquiry with the Sales Person from TAFE, I got to understand that this is a common problem with all the Rapids.Unfortunately there has been no solution to this till now.
11. The steering wheel was initially light with the stock JK Tyres. But after an upgrade to Michellin P3ST (195/60/R15), the steering weighs a bit, but manageable and good for highway runs. Not really a demerit.
Slight amount of pressure is required to honk. May be this will not be a problem when I get used to it.

Loan process: I made arrangements for the loan myself. Initially I approached SBI because during December 2014, SBI had zero processing fees and no prepayment charges scheme was in place. But the experience was not sweet enough for me to pursue further. The Officer in charge of the car loans department treated me as though I am seeking some favor. I was irritated to the core. Though I had very good banking relationships with SBI for a pretty long time, I was least bothered to establish my worthiness by pulling few important contacts within the Bank. It looked very silly for me to do such things for a small car loan thing. So I did not show any interest further with SBI. In turn I approached ICICI Bank. My previous car loan was with ICICI Bank in which I was very prompt in making the payments on time without a single default and also I pre-closed the loan by paying the entire pending amount in order to seek a new loan on the new car. The process was very simple and professional with ICICI Bank. Everything was under my control and the cheque was released to the Dealer only when I confirmed. So I did not give changes to the TAFE people till I completed the PDI. And one very important thing was the fixed rate of interest with ICICI bank which happened to be 10.20% as against floating interest with SBI which is uncertain over years. I did have to pay small processing fees. But that is ok for me when I am having an easy transaction. I visited one of the ICICI branches just once. Had it been SBI, I am sure I would have had to visit the branch numerous times. Many people would have had good experience with SBI but not me. They are still very traditional though they pretend to be advanced and modernized. Even the young staffs behave like their lazy aged counterparts. Lazy and Lethargic never wins the race. You will have to be on your toe to be competitive today…

Delivery experience: Will things go right with Skoda and its dealers?? No I don’t think so. If that happens, then they will lose their legacy of troubling the customers. Even after informing the Sales Person several times that I would be in the showroom at exactly 5PM, still the car was in the cleaning process. Plus a big shocker to me was the tyres. When I had seen the car in the stock yard, it was Apollo Alnac tyres and on the delivery day, it happens to be JK Tyres. I was seriously put off. I have broken my head for the tyres upgrade and based on the Tyre masters advice on our forum, I had finally made up my mind to stick to the stock Apollos only. I was happy that I had saved some money on the upgrade. But that happiness was short lived by seeing the JK tyres. I seriously hate the JK tyres. I had a tiff with the sales guy that I felt cheated by this move. The answer what I got was that the alloy wheels only come with Apollo and the rims will come with JK tyres only. I had opted for rims and not alloys as a result I got JK tyres. I was not ready to buy this theory and story but I am left with no option than to accept. Also there was a paint chip off on the left wheel arch and tough black stain mark on the rear bumper. The car was not washed properly also. I was very disappointed at this kind of treatment given by TAFE Access to its customers. So delivery of the car happened with hustle and bustle in the last moment. Also it looked like the car was with only few tea spoons of diesel in it and I had to rush to the fuel outlet to load the car.

Alloy wheels
- I intentionally opted out of the stock alloys though it is of better quality and priced lower than the aftermarket ones. This was mainly because I did not like the OEM alloys and wanted to give a different look to my car.
But unfortunately the aftermarket alloys are very limited for this specimen PCD wheel size which happens to be 100PCD with 5 holes. I was not aware of this at all. When I started searching around, I found very little options available outside. Even Plati had very limited collections. Whole of JC Road in Bangalore, I filtered out. Only in HRS brand I could see many options. Finally I zeroed on one particular model and placed an order with Hercules Tyres in Bangalore who happens to be the dealer for HRS wheels and business partner of SAI MAG wheels, Pune.

Tyres upgrade – Having said earlier that I want to get rid of the JK tyres; I visited Hercules tyres, Bangalore and fitted Michellin P3ST at Rs. 5950 per tyre with some additional charges like wheel weights Rs. 390 and air nozzle at Rs. 400. I exchanged the stock JK tyres and stock rims with Hercules itself. The tyres were July 2014 manufactured ones. I was a bit pessimistic about this, since it is almost 7 months now. But I did want to run around more, so settled with it. Also Mr. Saravanan from Hercules tyres was telling me that it would take some 6 months for the tyres to land in India since all these tyres are imported. I am unsure whether I can buy this explanation or not!!

Seat covers - I visited Imperial seat covers and got the PU leather covers with dark pattern predominant and less beige for a price of Rs. 7500. The quality of work was decent. But I did not like the steering wheel cover job. They have a serious space constraint. It is very irritating to be cautious with your car around those vegetable shop and construction site.

Other upgrades - I am pretty satisfied with the music system and speakers. Head light bulb upgrade seems to be very important to me because I found extreme difficulty to drive on the highways during my first highway run. I will upgrade to better bulbs in the near future. Also one main thing which I want to fit is the reverse parking camera and a screen. TAFE Sales Guy states that the reverse parking camera is not approved by Skoda yet on the Rapid. Anyone fitting it will end up with warranty getting void. I cross examined him whether he is trapping me to get the camera fitted with TAFE itself. Still no, he says the same story again. Don’t know how far it is true!!

That’s it for now and let pictures do the talking!!!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: My Royal Bucephalus... Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI MT White Ambition plus

Here we go....

Attachments

Let me congratulate on your new purchase [clap].
Those Alloy wheels look gorgeous on Rapid and cool choice.
Wishing you happy several thousand miles.
DRIVE SAFELY...

welcome to TAI and the Skoda Club. i own the 1.6L Elegance Ultima in candy whiteCheck here

I love the seat covers, it gels well to the interiors.

i got Apollo Alnac tyres , didnt know that JK is also a supplier for Skoda.

Thread Starter #6
Let me congratulate on your new purchase [clap].
Those Alloy wheels look gorgeous on Rapid and cool choice.
Wishing you happy several thousand miles.
DRIVE SAFELY...
Thanks Avidhoni
welcome to TAI and the Skoda Club. i own the 1.6L Elegance Ultima in candy whiteCheck here

I love the seat covers, it gels well to the interiors.

i got Apollo Alnac tyres , didnt know that JK is also a supplier for Skoda.
Thanks Saishibu. I have already read your ownership review. I must say it is very well laid out with beautiful photographs. I really appreciate your passion towards the car.

I am still waiting for the information about your "VW polo GT's ABC pedals" upgrade.

I have been glued to your ownership thread. Keep up the motor spirit.

Happy and safe driving..

Hi,
Congratulations on your New Skoda Rapid. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
In your review, you mentioned about dealing with Sales Executives. From my point of view, they are the ones who take the product feel to customers. Almost in all the top selling showrooms, Sales Executives are in the same mood. They are getting the Bonus+Incentives based on the Sales for their Segments, So they normally in different setup.
But the people who enter the showroom will have a lot of dreams about their new Car, and the attitude from them will surely disappoint.

Note : Not all the Sales Executives are like that, but 80% of them are like that only.

Thread Starter #8
3000 kms update

It is been 1.5 months and my car has completed 3000 kms. Overall good experience till now. The cruise control option is a boon on the highways. I have been getting a consistent mileage at around 20 kmpl on the highways.

I feel the acceleration pedal to be a bit hard. The service centre guys say that there is no issue with the pedal as such. I need to look into that in greater detail.

The air got released from the left front tyre (Michelin P3ST) during my last highway trip. I fitted the 14 inch stock apollo and drove to my destination. The tyre didnot get punctured. It was just an air release. Now it is alright.

Further upgrades:

Upgraded to osram night breaker unlimited 60/55. But there is no great improvements in doing so. Still its all the same.

I am looking at vkool 70% visibility sunfilms for the rear and all four windows. May get it done soon.

Will keep the thread updated after clocking more miles.

Thanks Avidhoni

Thanks Saishibu. I have already read your ownership review. I must say it is very well laid out with beautiful photographs. I really appreciate your passion towards the car.

I am still waiting for the information about your "VW polo GT's ABC pedals" upgrade.

I have been glued to your ownership thread. Keep up the motor spirit.

Happy and safe driving..
Thanks!
I have fixed the polo GT 's pedal. But the one coming from china doesn't suit our cars. Acceletor and clutch pedals no issues. The break pedals doesnt fit. I have put 3m tape and ziptags to fix them. I dont recommend those.

Such a crisp and nice review buddy. Congrats for your Rapid buddy. And the alloys which you got outside looks tastefully done. Its such a sad experience though to see this happen with your dealership though which Skoda is mainly known for. By the way I have a Volkswagen vento 1.6 TDi Highline and swear that was the best choice I have quiet made. The engine is so damn powerful that it can gobble kms with ease at the same time being extremely frugal too. I have done Madurai -> Bangalore and back (roaming around Bangalore City for a 100 kms) in a single tank of fuel and still had 3 bars left. The total distance would be around 1000 kms. And ride and handling was also too hood. Solid straight line stability. At 43000 kms soon its going for a tyre upgrade so would like your valuable suggestions. Accelarator pedal is quiet hard in Vento too buddy compared to Manza(I have both the cars. Coincidence [;)]). But I prefer harder pedal more because I can feed in the right amount of throtle while moving up a slope. Rear view Camera can be done at your dealer or outside buddy. Your SA is bluffing to you. Try getting the Garmin sourced Navigation from the dealer or outside which Skoda uses. It comes with Navigation and Rear view Camera. If your SA bluffs head directly to the owner of the dealership and let him know the amount of inconvenience you faced. Anyways buddy waiting for more experiences of yours and pics too. Congrats and wishing you loads of happy miles in it [clap].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
. At 43000 kms soon its going for a tyre upgrade so would like your valuable suggestions.
Thanks a lot Aniruthan for your wishes.

As far as my research goes in tyres upgrade, I would suggest you to look for the Michelin P3ST with 195/60/R15. This is the best fit for Rapid. You will have solid comfort with good grips. The price per tyre in Bangalore is Rs.5950 which should be more or less the same in Madurai too. You can also look into Michelin XM2 which is Rs. 200 lesser than P3ST.

I would not suggest upsizing to 205 because the steering would become more harder and mileage will drop. It is suitable only if you are looking into too much of cornering and spirited driving.

Hope the above helps.

Hi, thank you for such a detailed feedback. Helped me to decide on my car purchase too. I love the Rapid like you do but my experience was far better than what you had. The sales guys are really professional. They even did the aggressive follow up.
There were some problems with the Skoda in the past but they are improving big time on their sales as well as after sales service.

Same here, since the day I went to check it out and the day till now, the guys have been very professional in approach and have been very helpful. The dealership in my city is one of the better ones. Its been 2 years since I bought my Rapid Diesel and the ownership has been peaceful so far.

Top Bottom