Wanted to buy a new bike on my b'day.It either had to be a P220 or New Karizma-R. I was more inclined towards the P220 while parents said Karizma - R since it was more reliable & the older model was out & running successfully since long.I agreed happily as both of them were in a class of their own that time.
What i learnt ? Parents are always right.The things through which i have put my Karizma,the P220 wouldn't have even lasted for the half of it & i can bet on it.
Booked on - Sept 2007
Delivered on - 10/oct/2007 (1month & 18 days before my B'day)
Top Speed (stock) - 120km/h (with a pillion rider on my B'day nite first time)
Mileage - Ranged between 45 km/l to 40 km/l. MODIFICATIONS
All the modifications on the bike except the handle bar & rear tyre fitting were carried out by ME.The toughest of them all was getting the air-fuel mixture right.I literally used to do countless no of runs on highways with a screwdriver in my pocket.The screwdriver was used to turn the AIR SCREW which even the service center people were reluctant to do.
1) K & N Filter (rc1060) - Went in at 2700kms somewhere in Jan-Feb 2008.Filter was fitted in the stock air filter box & it was kept open.
2) Pilot Bulbs & Headlight Bulb - The stock yellow ones were replaced with white ones.
3) Jetting 1st time - The new size jet 130 (stock is 125) went in at roughly 5600kms.Some guy in GOA made it so i had get it from there.
4) ROOTS Horns (Skoda Horns) - The stock one was so poor that it dint even suit a cycle.So was replaced with the skoda ones.A metal piece to hold the horns,a relay & little wiring were the only things required.
5) Neon Light - Looked good.The electric circuit was fitted under the seat,switch inside the fairing.Only the round neon tube was exposed to water,air,dirt.I had 2 such round tubes which lasted for 7-8 months together.Then i was bored of replacing it again so removed all the things.
6) Rear Tyre changed - 120/90 Dunlop Monster (Stock size 100/90).Awesome gripping in wet as well as rough surfaces.Handling totally reached to a new high.Top Speed,pickup,mileage reduced a little.
7) 3 Piece Handle Bar - Though it looked good it sucked to the core.Went back to the stock within a month.If i would have had that handle bar when the bike slipped at 80km/h & went screeching sideways on the cement road it would have broke into so many pieces & the faring would have broke.
8) Jetting 2nd time - This time the 130 size jet was enlarged to around 135 & put back at around 10K kms. The earlier size jet dint feel sufficient & the engine was running lean when the filter was fitted onto the carb directly. TOP SPEED POST ALL MOD's & MILEAGE
Top Speed 130 km/h (without pillion),Pick up had improved significantly,engine felt butter smooth & not to forget the K&N sound.
MILEAGE - Anything between 27 km/l to 35 km/l depending on how one rides it. SERVICING HISTORY
Don't remember the total Rs etc spent on it till date but following are the things which were changed due to failure & not my experiments.
1) Battery - Its common,original lasted for 2 yrs.
2) Disk Brake Pads - Lasted for 20k,new ones cost a whoping 2400rs.
3) Intake Manifold pipe - A rubber pipe which carries air-fuel mixture into the engine.It had some developed some cracks 3 months ago.Costed 250rs.
4) The STOP light - One of the stop light bulb blows off every now & then.Its a factory problem faced by all Karizma & Karizma-R owners. CURRENT SITUATION
Since the bike was tortured right from its teenage (2700kms) & was never single handed -
1) It has to go a for piston ring changing sometime soon.(next week i guess)
2) Clutch too will be needing a change by this year end
3) The carb will need to be changed when i want to experiment more.I have ruined the air screw because of my constant experiments but learnt a lot too.It costs around 6k.
Even with the above number of parts due for a replacement the bike can smoke any dam RTR,R15(initially),P-180,P-200 & most of the P-220s(initially). FINAL VERDICT
These Honda Engines, be it car or bike really can handle a lot & last long.
The bike is a gem.I would any day recommend a karizma to someone who is looking for a bike in that price range. Pic's
I used to & still do open the bike hundred of times in my parking.People watching me will surely think i am crazy.
Opening the Neon lights to remove the electric chip,soldering wires.The green chip was fitted under the seat to prevent it from water,mud.
Neon Light Fitted
This handle bar really felt sick.
Dunlop Monster 120/90
White Pilot Bulbs & Headlight Bulb
Had Removed the fairing to rewire the horn & neon light switch properly.
Had A Chance to use P220 for a month.Its a equally great bike,but for me it always will be a Karizma.