And I Embark on a Journey To the Unknown with "Shira": Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (P)

Thread Starter #1
After almost an year of calculated contemplations, and talking to many a wise men to figure out if the time was right to add a new member to the family. We finally decided that its time.! And yeppers.!!! Here we are with this ever active 2 weeks old princess – Glossy dark, bright eyes, agile and swift – SHIRA.
Shira, in Hebrew means song of the soul, poetry. That was all I could think when I saw her for real with those beautiful curves and elegant angles. Well, well for those who are still guessing shira is my new companion for rides – Grand i10 Asta.

Background

The selection period was quite intensive, we did almost an year riding almost every car less than 10 lakh otr on Bangalore soil, waiting for those new launches and ever elusive discounts. I have already written about it in http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-shopper/19147-car-german-beauty-korean-princes-japanese-king-roads.html

The deal

Even after deciding that I will go for grand i10, we still searched in all the possible Hyundai showrooms to get the sweetest deal we could manage – Blue, Trident, Advaith and what not. There are more than 16 showrooms in Bangalore and I must have visited not less 10 of them. Finally.! we managed to strike a deal at Trident Domlur.
Apart from the official free insurance and 10000 ( read 1000) gift voucher and the usual goodies, like mud flaps, idol, mats, perfume, car cover. We also managed to extract little more, which was the best deal I had got. I booked the car paying a token of 5000.

Run in to delivery

I booked the car in last week of December, but due to the want of auspicious date which was two weeks away, I told the dealer that I will take the delivery only in mid-January. To which the dealer agreed. During our earlier visit, the dealer had told me that we only have to pay just before delivery so I did not bother asking about payment schedule and all, my bad. I also did not tell him about my payment method, again my mistake.

Couple of days later these guys started pressurizing me to pay the whole amount, to which I sternly rejected. My point of view – How can I pay without seeing the car?. The dealer told me, that it was due to the year end and other financial blah, blah. He assured me that if there are any faults with the car he will replace it. Finally I agreed to pay 3/4th of the ex-showroom price. I also warned him that he will not get the rest of the money till I personally inspect the car.

Payment date: This was the most annoying part, the finance department was not ready to accept my cheques because they were not sure it was a CTS. The financial guys did not as much know what exactly CTS was, their only concern was CTS-2010 should be on cheque which had got hidden when the cheques were crossed. I had to literally explain them and assure them, for no mistake of mine, that I will give another cheque if this doesn't get accepted.
Five days passed, we got confirmation from bank that cheque had cleared. Lo behold the next day Mr.Sales guy calls me and tells me the cheque is not getting cleared and I have to initiate a stop pay and immediately give him another cheque. This point I lost my temper, I literally shouted at him and asked to put me in touch with the manager. I explained the situation and asked him to confirm and get back to me. The manager was reluctant, but he agreed. Two hours later our Mr.sales guy calls me and meekly tells me that cheque has cleared and the problem was with their bank who had not updated them. God.!
Pre-registration Inspection and final settlement
A week before the delivery I informed the dealer about the delivery date. The car was brought down from stockyard, after a brief inspection and checking Odo and the working condition of the car, paid him the final amount, swiped this time to avoid confusion – thanks to these private banks giving high swipe limit for cards.

PDI and delivery

Delivery was quite smooth, the car was washed in front of me after which the sales guy gave me a demo of car. I double checked my check-list and ticked off all the freebies promised got the final receipt and tax chalan. Prayed to the lord and started home.

Experience so far

The advancement in technology has brought so many features reserved earlier for luxury segment has now become available to the mid segment cars as well. Grand i10 is a perfect example of this.

- Push button start and smart key option for doors.
- Integrated steering wheel buttons
- Cool glove box
- The steering, though not in the league of swift, Polos and puntos, is far better than i10 and i-gen i20.
- Power, somehow I think Hyundai has found that sweet spot, while earlier i10, equipped with kappa2, was a pocket rocket, it was let down by lack of ride comfort. Elite i20 which is an awesome vehicle and the 16” wheels makes it soak all the undulations, the 1.2 liter is found wanting. The grand manages to deliver best of both world, again my perception and totally subjective.
- Decent boot just about 30lts less than the massive i20.

Features missed
- Adjustable headrest, while I have not missed it during my drives, it might be handy sometimes.
- 60:40 split seats, come on.! Even celerio has it.
- Utterly lacks low end punch, have to take it 2k RPM to actually feel some acceleration.
- Auto up windows.
- The beep sounds for lock and unlock.
- Fuel efficiency and digital fuel tank meter.

Scary sometimes
- The smart tailgate, I am yet to get used to the fact that bonnet opens up if press the electronic switch with the smart key with you.

Drive so far

So far have taken it around city a few times, feels at ease in city. The suspension set up is perfect for slower speeds, while the steering it is effortless. We also did a highway to Mysore, so far the only long haul to say. Since it is yet to cross 1000 kms, I did not want to strain it above 80-90 kmph. Really good at these speeds, soaks up the undulations decently. If it feels the same at 120-140kmph I will be happy.
[drive]
Will post in the pictures by this weekend, once I give it the first proper detailing.[:D]

Last edited:
Congratulations Arvin for your Grand. Wish you munch lots and lots of happy miles ahead.
Drive safe and post the pictures of your beauty.

Top Bottom