Uncle's Brownie :- Honda City i-Vtec V MT

Thread Starter #1
This is the first time I am going to post a thread on this forum. So there are circumstances that it can go awkward here and there.

Well the person who is going to buy the car is not me, but my uncle (my dad's bro). So a few words about him. My Uncle is in his early 50s. He has a red Getz which he uses for almost for the past 9 years and has done about 76,000 kms in the odo. He is a hilarious person who always is very funny but at the same time hardworking and a business man. When his Getz slowly started to age he came to know that its time for a replacement. So with a budget of Rs.8 lakhs, he gave me a call.

The Surprisingly Long Call :
One fine evening when I was loafing around my phone with an Aashiqui 2 ring tone [;)](Just because of a romantic mood I have set it as my ringtone) started to ring up. And I was surprised to hear my uncle on the other side. So after a hi, how are you conversation, he told me that he was looking out for a sedan in a budget of Rs.8 Lakhs. This got me excited for sure. Since his running per annum is very less a petrol will do fine he told. Since he is not much an enthusiast in driving cars he told me his main requirements were comfort, space, good boot space,cheap maintainence and should have a substantial amount of kit and of course safety too and my aunt also will often take the wheel. With all this mind and a budget of 8 lakhs I got all compact sedans to my head. So I told him to check out Tata Zest, Honda Amaze and Hyundai Xcent. Then he asked me what are compact sedans. I told him that they are nothing bigger than a hatch back with a sedan style and will be having a bigger boot. Then he asked whether any bigger cars are available in the ball park of 8 Lakhs. I told him that, well you can get only basic variants and no top end variants and I told him "Why dont you extend your budget to 10 lakhs and a bit of extension? You get lots of nice options" . Well done 10 Lakhs he said so and here it goes.

The Competitors
1) Honda City
2) Maruti Ciaz
3) Skoda rapid / Volkswagen Vento
4) Nissan Sunny

So we called the dealerships and asked them to get the cars to our residence for a test drive and here are his views.

4) Nissan Sunny :
The Nissan was a bit to long for his convenience and especially fitting it inside his shed. Taking reverse is a bit of hard work in the sunny especially after driving the Getz. He even did not like the sober coloured interiors. Though he was amazed by the space of the interiors and comfort levels were perfect. He even appreciated the perky and responsive engine. Though he did not like it that much and was put away.

3) Skoda Rapid / Volkswagen Vento :
Well when he got into the Skoda he found it to be a size smaller than the Sunny. He felt it a bit of a cramp. Unlike the diesel, the petrol's lackluster engine did not do any favours to him. Rear leg room was fine for him and he appreciated the great quality interiors and build quality. The great ride and handling package also won his heart. But after hearing Skoda's after sales stories, a bit of an expensive service and the lack lustre engine it was a no.

2) Maruti Ciaz :
Well when he went to the Maruti show room to check the Ciaz he was quiet happy with it. Size was again a bit of a problem. His esteem which he had before the getz has indeed done him some good service for him. He appreciated the nice interiors (though my aunt found it a bit bland). Comfort was also good. Maruti's spread of after sales and cheap service helped him and the engine which had decent oomph made him to almost sign the cheque but wait a minute. My aunt did not like it. She thought this was not the perfect car. As my hand started to run in the lower down plastics fit and finish problems cropped up and to make matters worse when I shut the boot lid of the car, the latch gave up and it refused to shut. So good bye Ciaz.

4) Honda City :
Well when we set out in the City the first thing which came to the light was that the engine did not have bottom end oomph. Though when he started higher up in the ranges he appreciated the engine's performance especially its mid range and top end. He told me that "when I want to have fun behind the wheel this is the one I should go for". He liked the interiors and appreciated Honda's great packaging skills. Narrow tyres were not liked much though and he told he will get them replaced. Even my aunt liked the City a lot and it won our hearts a lot. When I pushed it to 7000 rpm it was just like so damn awesome and so the City really won our hearts.

Booking Process :
One fine evening we went to Sundaram Motors Madurai to book the car and started to fill the form. But as slowly time started to go a new hitch came up. My aunt who was noticing alloy wheels, a better sound system and the bit of extra features which the V variant gets she started leaning towards it. My uncle found it and he told "Sweet heart[:)] Never mind, If you like the V Variant don't worry, I will extend my budget for you and we can go for the V Variant". My aunt was very happy and therefore we paid the advance amount for the V variant. End of story.

Wait it's not the end of story.

Sales Manager : What colour do you want sir?
Aunt : I like Maroon colour.
I : I like golden brown colour.
Sister : Is there black colour on sale.
Uncle : Urban titanium looks fantastic.
Brother : Golden brown or Urban titanium. Inkey pinkey ponky[frustration].
Brother in Law : Any colour is fine for me.
Sister in Law also ended up in any colour is fine for me.

Colour problem came up. Well after 30 minutes of discussion 3 colours were finalized and they were Golden Brown, Maroon and Urban Titanium. Since majority of us liked Golden Brown we decided to book it and pay the advance amount of Rs.51000 for it. We were informed that we could get the vehicle by Feb second week. So a great experience and we are really waiting on our toes for welcoming our BROWNIE to our family.

WELCOME BROWNIE. I AM WAITING FOR LUGGING LOADS OF KILOMETERS ON YOUR ODO.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Congrats Aniruthan. City is a no nonsense car when the requirement is Petrol heart. Wishing you (your uncle) happy miles ahead.
PS: Any offers / discounts?
PPS: So hurry in starting a ownership thread with just booking experience?
Thank you Mr.Boss. City is of course a no nonsense with an awesome petrol heart which made us go towards it. No discount or offers were given to us Mr. Boss. So we have to purchase it for the asking price. The main reason why I started this thread a bit early was that this is the time I'm free since its a holiday.

Thread Starter #5
Hi guys,
Got a call from Honda. Was informed that the car left the plant and is on its way to TVS Sundaram Motors Madurai. Will surely keep the thread updated with pictures once when the car arrives at Madurai.

Thread Starter #7
Hi,
Congratulations on your new Honda City. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Thanks Ambylovers. City is alwsys a no nonsense cars. The big H on its nose has proved that you can trust it for years and it'll give you trouble free service. Will update you with pics once it reaches Madurai.

Congrats on booking your new Honda City [clap]. Can you tell me when did you book the car as i was told that there is a 3 months + waiting period for City V and you should be recieving your car by first week of Feb. I booked my City V petrol Golden brown on 21 Oct and still waiting for it.

Thanks Ambylovers. City is alwsys a no nonsense cars. The big H on its nose has proved that you can trust it for years and it'll give you trouble free service. Will update you with pics once it reaches Madurai.
Exactly. Anyone thinking of buying a Petrol Sedan will surely have Honda City in their hit list. Petrol Engines were awesome and it was very reliable engine.

Thread Starter #10
Congrats on booking your new Honda City [clap]. Can you tell me when did you book the car as i was told that there is a 3 months + waiting period for City V and you should be recieving your car by first week of Feb. I booked my City V petrol Golden brown on 21 Oct and still waiting for it.
Hey Arundude,
We booked our City exactly at Jan 1st 2015 5pm. We were told that we'll get the car within feb second week. Still need to get an update. By the way congrats for your City bro. And do keep us updated.

Exactly. Anyone thinking of buying a Petrol Sedan will surely have Honda City in their hit list. Petrol Engines were awesome and it was very reliable engine.
Roger that Amby lovers. Petrol engine is a fire cracker. Driven third generation city and it was awesome. Just that low end is not that great but rest of the power band is just awesome. When ever I push it hard a huge grin comes up on my face[:D].

Thanks Aniruthan,
Called up the dealer and they have informed that the car will leave the factory by 18th feb and I should get it by end of month or first week March, so based on this I guess your car should reach your dealer in a couple of days and as your car has left the factory it should be allotted to you. Ask the dealer for VIN number and check the date of manufacture at this website :

Vehice History and Vin /Chasis Number check My Vehicle Details

Thread Starter #12
Hey guys,
Got a disappointing news to tell. Yesterday got a call from SA. He told that since procurement of Golden brown colour is a bit tough and high waiting periods, we can get our City only by March middle. He promised us that within March middle we could get our car.

Oh! Sorry to hear that buddy, don't worry I have been waiting since October and as a true city lover I can tell you that it's worth the wait.

Thread Starter #14
Oh! Sorry to hear that buddy, don't worry I have been waiting since October and as a true city lover I can tell you that it's worth the wait.
Yup, even we are waiting patiently as City is one of the best petrol cars in its segment. The dealer asked us for a colour change or a lower variant ship as you might have read in the thread at first we were actually interested in the SV variant. But since my aunt wants the V variant badly with the golden brown colour he's ready to wait.

Thread Starter #15
Hey guys,
Got two good news. Well my Uncle's City has been alloted and the car will arrive in a few days. Dealer told us that we can take delivery after March 20th. My uncle will decide the delivery date. Will update you guys. Surprisingly another of my uncle also booked a Honda City Golden brown Petrol V MT 3 months back and was surprised to see that he got it and showed it to me. This news was under cover and to know recently.It's so good. So 2 City's inducted into our family by my uncles

Top Bottom