Tata Sierra Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
It’s often said that the destination doesn’t matter what matters is the journey. Also like Dr Mohan said about the Gurkha that it’s the Gurkha that owns you not the other way around. I say TATA Sierra is not owned it’s POSSESSED. when I used to be in 10th standard that’s when I fell in love with the TATA SIERRA. Those were the times only filthy rich could afford this car. I still remember the advertisement for it when the person goes to get ready for evening party the car goes out off-road and comes back fully covered in dirt, and then the words "TATA SIERRA IT TAKES ROUGH WITH THE SMOOTH" those words just nailed it for me. Even today when I see the ad on YouTube I have those Goosebumps I used to have when I was a kid, When I was in my 12th STD there was a guy who used to bring his father’s white Sierra to college and showoff I used to Envy him.

Days passed by and I started working however the dream to own a sierra was only a dream as the production was stopped so safari was the next in line. Some bad steps I had taken in my professional life. Some financial crisis sometime stopped me from going to the safari. So guess what I settled with a Second hand maruti 800 (Dreams shattered) for most of us this the first car owned. Drove it to my heart’s content and bought Second hand Santro Zip 2003 the experience with this car was awesome( I have always bought second hand vehicles never new ). I used to drive it whenever I could find a chance. used to visit my, would be in-laws at that time and take their daughter for a spin have some ice creams (Romantic times can’t describe everything). All in all had a lot of fun. Then got married purchased a family car guess what it can be ,a TATA INDICA ( as I tell all the time I was and I'am in love with TATA’s all Thanks to Sierra) drove it, somehow constant problems made me get rid of the car. Then purchased a second hand ESTEEM man!!!!! the engine was too good the body wasn’t. Too much of rattles. After watching TOKYO DRIFT did a complete makeover of the car in the same yellow and black shade.that car was an eye Catcher (Second Look Guaranteed) drove it for some time.

Purchased a Ford Fiesta classic 2007 TCDI this car was awesome it had good power and no vibrations no rattle all in all a solid car still have it in broken condition. Ford service in Mlore s***s it’s too expensive all the time. However had given this car to a friend of mine for a weekend trip he had the radiator hose damaged and all the coolant getting drained and the engine was seized and endless problems later on so it’s still there but not in working condition. Anyways lets comeback to the story, was about to purchase a Nano for my wife/dad purchased it second hand from one of the known persons it was good, got it cheap all well however I was not able to transfer the car to my name as it had some pending loan over it which my friends whom I purchased it from mentioned it and had informed me that he would close it ASAP somehow that didn’t happen for 6-7 months and was on the verge of having a fight with him.

However he told me that he had bought a Sierra with the money I paid him for the Nano I couldn’t believe it I checked all the papers everything seemed to be fine and exchanged the car with him. Since that day it has owned me. Every time I look at it. It brings back that old passion in me. If anyone when i was young had asked me what would you want to become once u grow I would tell them I want to own a sierra,period. Thanks to Sierra It has brought that child back in me. Now I’m possessed by Sierra.

Here are few pics of the car

IMG_20141231_124821.jpg

sierra 2.jpg

sierra1.jpg

IMG_20141231_124702.jpg

IMG_20141231_115651.jpg

tata sierra interiors.jpg

Its Run 2,24,477 as on date stock engine sealed. No back compression whatsoever.

When I purchased this Bee it had done 1,68,797 on the ODO. The Ac wasn’t working the tyres were Flat. Interior was really in a bad shape. No floor mat. Seat covers were torn and the side panels had worn out.

However it took me less than a minute to fall in love with this vehicle. Did a TD the thing I liked the most of the car was the maneuverability of the car. Though a huge vehicle it was easy to turn and get the car in the narrow lanes of the city.
My TD was a lengthy test drive it took me almost an hour to do the complete test drive on both broken as well as tarmac dressed road. The suspension definitely had some issues but was manageable (Not that bad though). On the broken road it had some rattles not from the doors as such but due to the lock rod inside the doors. Front bumper vibration when on idle and when on low RPM. The windshield sprayer wasn’t working. But all this I could live with.

Checked the Engine it was refined and no problems at all. Did a back compression test, it passed the test. So the next test was the leakage test.

Took the car to the Service station owned by my good friend sat inside the car and told him to spray on the car. I was examining if there was any leak inside as that would mean body work. So just wanted to make sure it doesn’t burn hole in my pocket.
To my surprise the car had no leaks anywhere. To be honest I had expected a few leaks it’s an old vehicle.

So after this I was convinced that there was no body work required. The paint on it was original factory paint. It was never in life been repainted Except for the LH S door.
So all in all my dream car came to me with very less problems. I was really happy on acquiring it. I forgot what this guy had done to me in the past. (Read the first post to understand how I ended up owning this vehicle). I thanked this guy returned his car and drove back with the Sierra. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally after all these years, I had got back what I was searching to buy in the first place. Amazing isn’t it. Life took a full circle.

Anyways, got the vehicle back home. A lot of criticism from the family especially my dad. He said “ U know this car doesn’t come with rear doors , it would be difficult for your mother to enter/ exit the car” point taken that was the truth. But hell it’s my favorite car (No criticism would hold good when you think from your heart). My wife was happy coz I was happy. However while all this was happening my daughter went to the car and said “PAPA, I like this jeep car” these were her words. (She is just 5 years old). How I felt she definitely has more of me in her. HEHEHEHEHEEEE.

Next day washed the car thoroughly and ordered for red seat cushions as the car was white I wanted all red interiors. Ordered 4 Bridgestone Dueller tyres 215/70/R 15 at a price of 7500/ Tyre (Including the tubes). Took the car to the nearest alignment station and got the tyres Balanced and then Aligned cost was 350/-.
Day 2 with the car, took a leave wanted to do rubbing and polishing of the car so had to be there when it was being done. Took it to the nearest paint shop to get it done. However the painter refused to do the work on the same day. He informed me that if I leave my vehicle there he would do it and I could collect it in the morning. Somehow didn’t like the idea. Went to paint dealer got the rubbing compound and formula 1 wax polish and returned home.

Changed my clothes and went to do the rubbing. Took 3 buckets and 6-7 towels and washed the car first starting from the wheels. Didn’t have to wash much as it was washed in the service station the previous day. However wanted to make sure the surface is clean before applying the rubbing compound.
Rubbing the body of the car sure was/ is exhaustive if you are doing it with your hands. As I did not own any machinery for polishing (I’m still learning the detailing process Thanks to TAI)it took me almost all day to get that smooth finish to the surface of the car. In the evening applied wax and was satisfied with my work.
The car definitely got its shine back. My entire body was paining due to the hard work I had done in one day .However the happiness it brought, pain seemed to fade away.

The interior Pics.

IMG_20140124_111537220-1.jpg

IMG_20140124_111516481.jpg

more to come couldn't write everything today[:D]

I have taken my sierra almost everywhere. I call it My BEE (Bumblebee). Yeah many of my friends & family have spotted me talking to it I know I’M CARZY :biggrin:.

Coming to the specs.
Model: 1997
colour: White
Owner: 3rd
CC: - 1948
Seating capacity: 5
A/C factory equipped though not effective
Power windows factory installed
central lock = Yes with key

Front break: Disc
Rear Break: Drum
Power steering: Hydraulic
Tilt Steering (Steering Adjustment): Company installed
Power Breaks: yes
Turbo: - NA
TyreSize: 215/70/R 15
Engine Spec

• Type: Four-cylinder, in-line, longitudinal location, diesel
  • Displacement: 1948 cc
  • Bore × Stroke: 83 mm × 90 mm (3.3 in × 3.5 in)
  • Cylinders: Four
  • Maximum power: 90 PS (66 kW; 89 hp) @ 4500 rpm
  • Maximum torque: 19 kg·m (190 N·m; 140 lb·ft) @ 2500 rpm
  • Compression ratio: 22:5:1
  • Gears: 5+ 1Reverse

• Transmission: Manual

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Sierra, everytime I read the word Sierra old memories of my 1991 Sierra comes back. My desire to own 2nd Sierra is still unfulfilled, it is a vehicle tobe owned by heart. Man! enjoy your Sierra, what is the odo count? Post some engine bay pictures.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sierra is one of the great car from TATA motors. Modification options are more. Alloys to this car will give a totally different look. In Coimbatore there were few cars these days.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Nitin, A benchmark of reliability you have in name of TATA Sierra. Whats the status on the modification you had planned?

Regards

Akash

I have taken my sierra almost everywhere. I call it My BEE (Bumblebee). Yeah many of my friends & family have spotted me talking to it I know I’M CARZY :biggrin:.
Coming to the specs.
Model: 1997
colour: White
Owner: 3rd
CC: - 1948
Seating capacity: 5
A/C factory equipped though not effective
Power windows factory installed
central lock = Yes with key

Front break: Disc
Rear Break: Drum
Power steering: Hydraulic
Tilt Steering (Steering Adjustment): Company installed
Power Breaks: yes
Turbo: - NA
TyreSize: 215/70/R 15
Engine Spec

• Type: Four-cylinder, in-line, longitudinal location, diesel
  • Displacement: 1948 cc
  • Bore × Stroke: 83 mm × 90 mm (3.3 in × 3.5 in)
  • Cylinders: Four
  • Maximum power: 90 PS (66 kW; 89 hp) @ 4500 rpm
  • Maximum torque: 19 kg·m (190 N·m; 140 lb·ft) @ 2500 rpm
  • Compression ratio: 22:5:1
  • Gears: 5+ 1Reverse

• Transmission: Manual
Its Run 2,24,477 as on date stock engine sealed. No back compression whatsoever.
Dear friend, why would you want POWER BREAKS to happen to your car [:D] Anyways, its one of the few Sierras thats still working and I do hope you intend to keep it that way. Great car, good job, wishing you many more happy miles with it( until you wanna replace it) ( after asking me off course [evil] just joking)

Thread Starter #6
@ akash as if now the project is running at a slow pace as im running into some financial trouble. However the mechanical restoration is underway its with the mechanic. The brakes had some issues as well as the 4th gear was slipping, There were leaks in the power steering oil, and the diesel pump top has to be replaced as there is a bit of diesel leakage through the banjo that connects to the pump. These issues will be sorted out by next week. will upload those pics. As i have kept the car in my friends Garage around 250 kms away from my place( he is a Trusted Guy that's why). i think he is sending me the pics day after tomorrow, will upload the same then. cosmetic restoration might take some more time.
@ carloverjosh: Buddy power breaks meant it has break boosters. not many had them at that time.thats all.yeah i will seek your permission before i plan the future course of the car. I can tell you one thing as long as i have the finances i think ill keep the car with me. no matter what kind of maintenance it has to go through.After all its my closest pal.

Nice story incarnation.I sometimes wonder why TATA didn't launch a successor to Sierra and Estate.But may be due to this reason,Sierra and Estate are true classics today.

Post some pics of interior such as dash,door pads,power window switches,engine bay etc if you can.Eagerly waiting to see those classics[:D].

FABULOUS RESTORATION. Tata sierra was one of its kind during 90s,no doubt the beast looks ,rugged capable to endure rough terrains. I am confused whether it is rear wheel drive[RWD] or All wheel drive[AWD]? Have you worked on to upgrade suspension or transmission?

Thread Starter #9
@Abhy@93 its not restored yet its underway.however to answer your questions it is a RWD but not AWD. AWD versions were only launched in the U.K under the name TATA GURKHA. In India we had Turbo as well as Non turbo version. Turbo version shared the same engine with the early TATA SAFARI's the TCIC engine.
@ Hari will be posting the pics soon as if now its under mechanical restoration.

Thread Starter #11
My bad!!! i didn't notice that both have a lot of difference. thank you for pointing out Mr.Boss & CLJ. for those who missed this out.
Brake= means of bringing anything to Halt.
Break= taking time off,physically distorting or damaging the real form of the object.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
After rubbing and polishing, the car looked good and it definitely drew a bit of crowd. people started appreciating that's its kept well. Isn't this what you expect after days of hard work???.its the fuel to let your passion drive. however i have to admit that the headliner is something that needs a change and it hasn't been done as if now as it means stripping down the whole car. however i would like to give you the list of expenses that i have done on it so far.
earlier i had mentioned that the A/C in my BEE wasn't working. Thanks to broken pipelines and unchanged O rings. Changed it all converted it to R134 from R12 cost me around 10,200
Changed the tyres all 4 with bridgestone Dueller cost=7500x4=30,000 ( including Tube)
Cost of alignment and Balancing=350/-
oil change every 8000 kms that's something i do,i don't wait till 10,000 with fuel filter as well as oil filter change= 2400 ( with Labor)
Changed the timing Belt when it clocked 2,00,000 kms as its said that timing belt should be changed every 1,00,000 kms cost = 1400/-
Changed the Horn to Roots as the previous one was some horn like you see on a roadrunner ( Cartoon which was famous during our childhood) cost= 850/-
2 projector lamps on the front Bumper= 2000/- ( with wiring and labour)
Front suspension work( Arm, Tie rod, Ball Joint, Balancing Rod Bush kit). LHS front wheel bearing. Front Brake Pads. cost = 9700 ( including Labor)
Seat Cushions(cover) cost = 7500/- ( including Labor)
LED Top Light 2 nos = 100/-
phillips Crystal Vision 4300k headlight bulb h7(2 Pcs) =1500/-
Head light relay =640/-
Noodle mat for entire floor = 3500/-
Foam cloth red color for Door panels = 3800/-
MDF Board for door panels and interior panels= 3900/-
cutting cost of door panel as per the interior design= 150/-
Fevicol SR gum 1 tin= 300/-
i think that's about the expenses i have made so far & yes the tyres have been changed twice till now.
its been a family traveling car and no complaints whatsoever till date. when i drive along with my family, i make sure i keep a short fiber Stool so that my mom can get in and get out. My daughter simply loves this (jeep car), that's how she describes it. my dad has slowly fallen in love with this beast. however he is more satisfied with his NANO ( again a TATA):biggrin:. My wife is all ready whenever i plan to go out on it. Sometimes when we have a heated discussion at home and my mood is out, she hands over the keys of my BEE and tells me to go for a spin. I return back home Happy all cheered up. well guys this car has been one of my closest pals i've ever had. Its never given up on us, Neither have i given up in take of Him. Its the Bond we share.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
My bad!!! i didn't notice that both have a lot of difference. thank you for pointing out Mr.Boss & CLJ. for those who missed this out.
Brake= means of bringing anything to Halt.
Break= taking time off,physically distorting or damaging the real form of the object.
You didn't understand my friend, I think you mean Power Brakes now Power Breaks![lol]
@ carloverjosh i did get it but a bit late. Say im a tube-light[frustration] . so i have addressed it my fren Thanks to you. Do point out such mistakes so that i read my post twice before uploading. Not that i don't but its like curiosity kills the cat[;)]

@ carloverjosh i did get it but a bit late. Say im a tube-light[frustration] . so i have addressed it my fren Thanks to you. Do point out such mistakes so that i read my post twice before uploading. Not that i don't but its like curiosity kills the cat[;)]
[lol] No worries friend. It happens, it happened to me when i upgraded to my new iMac desktop. I was just to the humongous Logitech keyboards and suddenly this is this beautifully crafted small keyboard which is a delight to press! The older one was the typical when where to had to hit the keys really hard. Anyways take care of the Sierra, only a few people would understand about the beauty of such a car, I though am not one of them still respect your views quite a bit. Take care. Good night ( please accept my friend request)

Top Bottom