The Big Boy: Our New Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)

Thread Starter #1
I know,writing a review for an already popular,next gen going to be launched vehicle is somewhat not fair.But as a petrol head,I thought its our duty to write a review for the sake of members and guests in the forum.So my new car story(in short)starts…

RETIREMENT OF OUR TRUSTED AMBY FROM OUR FAMILY

We had been using our 2005 model isuzu powered ambassador classic in these days.A nice machine for highway rides.As the car already covered about 2 lakh kms(no engine problem still!!!) and began rusting of running board my father began to think about an another car.This was when i was doing my degree in university of kerala.After my graduation we began to start steps to sell our trusted amby,but things goes worse as the news of closing of HM factory got popular among local people as they think there will be lack of spares for ISUZU ambassadors.Dad and me are great fans of Toyotas.But dad told me that we buy another car only after selling the amby since there is a maruti 800 in our house used by dad for his local trips.
Approached showrooms of maruti true value,mahindra first choice and toyota u trust to sell our vehicle.Local people didn't came to buy as they feared about the maintenance cost(actually it doesn't) of isuzu ambassadors.Among the used car showrooms,maruti true value gave us a good profit for the vehicle and the same day we gave our trusted amby with a half heart.

A SNAPSHOT TAKEN WHEN WE LEAVE HER:
amby.jpg

THE HUNT BEGINS!!!!

We want a car which can seat 5 adults and large space for goods for using it as a part of our profession and we also have a long family trip monthly.So a big car was needed.Our priority was for space rather than power.Our budget was upto 15 lakh.As I already told dad and me are Toyota fans especially innova but the price was a problem.We mainly looked for a new car,but father allowed me a used one only if it is a Toyota.As we planned earlier,reached toyota u trust by Nippon toyota in thiruvananthapuram,checked toyota innovas.Used cars are well maintained there,but asking price for the innova was about 70-75%of new car price.Even for the 2008-09 model innovas,they asked high prices.Also reached many individuals who wish to sell cars,but the same repeats.Most of them already ridden above two lakhs,tyres have to be changed,scratches etc and asking high price.It was this time when my father told me to leave the used car market.Dad told me that spending about our hard earned money for 5-6 year old one is not fair.Thus closed the chapter for used one. I told Dad about mahindra suvs.He told me to check new mahindra vehicles next week.
Next week we went to Mahindra showroom,had a look at scorpio,bolero,xylophone and even the XUV 500.The guys there was not at all pleasant,one guy approached us with a mind that we killed his afternoon sleep [frustration]. XUV seemed to be good but dad like luxury more than sportness and XUV’s rear space was a problem.Xylo’s bumpy ride and round edges,bolero’s plasticky and cramped interior take away us from them.The new scorpio was ready for launch that time,no booking started and launch date not announced at that time.So neither gone for old model and nor waited for new one. Leaved the showroom with the price list of cars given by them and gave them a big bye bye.
But the surprise came when we entered the Toyota showroom(NIPPON TOYOTA,THIRUVANANTHAPURAM).Enquired about the INNOVA GX 7 seater.The guys there was courteous and answered all the questions by me and my father patiently.After leaving the toyota showroom,i saw my dad is much happy and satisfied,which made me think he almost decided to buy the “BIG T” [clap].Heart said us go for a toyota any day,so decided not to check other cars of this segment like aria,ertiga etc even the price of new innova is so higher and having not much bells and whisles.

BOOKING EXPERIENCE:

As innova GX fall in our budget slot of below 15lakh,we gone for GX.It didn’t have much bells and whisles when compared with VX or ZX,but have ABS,Airbag,reverse sensors as standard.There are two showrooms for NIPPON TOYOTA in Thiruvananthapuram,we went to the one located at kazhakootam since one of my friend Mr.Vijesh who is an accounts officer there.Reached there at morning,gave an amount of 50000RS as booking amount,told them to deliver the vehicle only on august even if they were willing to deliver the vehicle that week.Finance was provided by Toyota finance.The on road price was 14.14lakhs that time.

ACCESSORIES OFFERED:

No accessories were offered but tried our best and at last got mud flap worth RS 1300 free.
But the GX comes with only four speaker and without a HU,searched double dins but all of them are way out of our budget.Asked showroom guys if there are any buybacks.For our luck the reply was yes.Got a double din HU of Toyota for 6000RS(along with warranty) which costs 16000RS for new that came as buyback(an etios customer exchanged it with a touchscreen).
Spend RS.3700(Approx) for under body coating(3M) which came with a five year warranty.
Got 3D KAGU mat from local shop for 3400RS since Toyota rubber mats costs about 2800RS.
Those rubber mats feeled thin and not fit firmly on back.So got the KAGU.

SELECTION OF COLOR AND PDI:

In august ,a week before delivery day Mr.Vijesh called me for PDI and selection of color.
I told him we want SILKY GOLD METALLIC color.As he told there was four GX in their yard with the same color we selected.Reached the showroom next day,payed the remaining payment and we went to the yard.The yard seemed to be a heaven of Toyotas for me.Hundreds of Toyotas waiting for their customers!!!Selected one innova from the four.The cars are well protected there.Not even a single scratch or dent for any cars,most of them are only 3-4 kms ridden.
pdi 1.JPG
pdi 2.jpg

THE DELIVERY DAY:AUGUST 28:

My dad was busy on the same day and since it is a good day for delivery of vehicle he said me to go and pick the car.Mom was also busy with her job,so me went lonely for delivery.As I already told the day is good,most of the customers preferred the same day.There was 7 delivery on the same day and at same time!!!The vehicle was ready for delivery at 12.00pm.The service of Toyota guys was neat.Iwill give them 5 star rating any day.No wonder why Toyota got best customer satisfaction award.Paper work was completed on the previous day.Got 10 litres of diesel from showroom itself.Gave showoom guys a packet of chocolates.Drove the car straight to home.
Pictures 202.jpg

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

As we petrol heads know,Toyota is a king of reliability.Everything is in the order.Its no need of saying the performance of the D4D in innova.Many of us are familier with it.So I’m not going deep about it.The 2KD-FTV engine loves a sedate driving.No turbo lag.We can move from still with second gear itself.Sometimes I thought the vehicle is moving in 4th but it was in 5th gear!!!Yes,every owner of innova complaints the same- it needs a 6th gear or a taller fifth gear.Also the absence of VNT(variable nozzle turbo,which is available for foreign market innovas) felt.But in city,the gear ratio seemed to be good.This machine is a torque monster.Accelerator is very much responsive.For Toyota,Innova is a people carrier/mpv,which didn’t need a sporty engine.So there is no need of complaining Toyota.The hydraulic steering feeled tight at low speed but light at high speeds.
NVH level seemed to be above average,but tyre noises are well controlled.Cornering of vehicle seemed to be good.Maintaining 80-120kmph feeled good.Got a FE of 12.5 kmpl in highway with AC during RUN-IN.Completed the first service at 1000km 2 months ago.Next service is due for march/5000km which only includes general check ups.Oil change is at every 10000km.

What I like:

1.Fit and finish,made to last components especially switches.
2.Most of the electronic components inside the engine bay is made in japan!!!
3.Driveability.
4.Road presence.
5.Soft clutch.
6.Ride comfort on highway.
7.Torque.

What I didn’t like:

1.Price!!!Greedy Toyota [evil].
2.Lack of equipments like ACC,alloys,curtain airbags etc for a RS.15Lakh mammoth.
3.Paint seemed to be good,but lacks thickness.
4.NVH
5.Gear ratio.

LETTING THE PICTURES TO SAY(pardon me for low quality pictures,since they was taken with my lumia):

meter console:

console.jpg

The large ORVMs are practical:

orvm.jpg

Dash:

dash.jpg

FRONT:

front.JPG

REAR:

back.jpg

The "key" to TOYOTA:

key.jpg

Last edited:
Reached there at morning,gave an amount of 50000RS as booking amount,told them to deliver the vehicle only on august even if they were willing to deliver the vehicle that week.Finance was provided by Toyota finance.The on road price was 14.14lakhs that time.
Congratulations.
Wishing many many safe miles ahead.
Visit the following thread for Nippon Toyota dealer.
Toyota Dealership at South Kerala.

Which insurance, and how much? Can you do break-up of the total amount?

Thread Starter #5
Congratulations.
Wishing many many safe miles ahead.
Visit the following thread for Nippon Toyota dealer.
Toyota Dealership at South Kerala.

Which insurance, and how much? Can you do break-up of the total amount?
Visited the thread,nice and useful details.I know this showroom at kalamassery,which is situated near my sisters home,but not visited yet.

Insurance and finance was provided by toyota.

Don't know how much amount had increased till date,the amount below was applicable as on august 2014.Someone told me that the price was increased during september

The Ex-showroom price was RS.12,29000/-

Insurance RS.49042/-,

Logistic and facilitation charge:Rs.7000,

Road tax:RS.128822/-

Total:RS.1414043/-

And additional expenses for accessories.

congratulations on your innova hari and wish you many happy miles with it.
Its a no nonsense car and chunks kms and kms with that engine.This is where they charge the premium.
Is the insurance 0 dept or regular one.Did you tried checking online for the prices difference offered by the dealer and available online?

Toyota insurance is very high, but hassle free. They took approximately 75000 for my vehicle for the first year. The same options available with HDFC and others approximately around 38000. Nippon Toyota will not give any discounts. They took 1Lakh for Fortuner booking, and average waiting period of 4months.

Just observe 10 vehicles on the Kerala roads, may be more than 3 will be Toyota Innova. Nippon Toytoa service center-Kottayam was filled with Innovas, when I went for previous service of my vehicle.

Post interior photos.

Congratz for your new Toyota!!

Why you settled for 7 seater? your requiremnt was 5 seater+ luggage space. right? I know middle row captain seats cant be ignored, but the bench seat was more useful. right? If they remove that speakers and added MID in the GX, it would have been more desirable. Alloys and headunit we can add on later, but MID[cry]

Thread Starter #9
Congratz for your new Toyota!!

Why you settled for 7 seater? your requiremnt was 5 seater+ luggage space. right? I know middle row captain seats cant be ignored, but the bench seat was more useful. right? If they remove that speakers and added MID in the GX, it would have been more desirable. Alloys and headunit we can add on later, but MID[cry]
Thank you MR.RELEESH.Yes, you are right the 8 seaters are very much useful,but after travelling in those middle row captain seats of the 7 seater,we felt the high level passenger comfort given by them are incomparable with middle row bench seats of 8 seater.So we preferred for 7-seater even if our need was a 5 seater+luggage space.You can see many taxi innovas,most of them are 7-seaters,they give more importance to comfort level than number of seats.

Congratulations for the Innova. Have many safe & pleasurable miles to come. I had Innova for 9 years - quite robust & trouble free. But why you preferred petrol version?

Congrats on the purchase. Innova is such an success and the kind of performance, efficiency & reliability that offers is matchless. Wish you happy miles ahead.

But why you preferred petrol version?
2KD-FTV is diesel engine. Was it mentioned "Petrol" elsewhere in the thread? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Congratulations for the Innova. Have many safe & pleasurable miles to come. I had Innova for 9 years - quite robust & trouble free. But why you preferred petrol version?
Thanks dhoom9;No,its not a petrol version,its a diesel.2KD FTV is an engine in KD series engines(diesel) of toyota.

Was it mentioned "Petrol" elsewhere in the thread? Am I missing something?
Thanks MR.BOSS,I think dhoom9 got wrong when i wrote "2kd ftv"

Thank you MR.RELEESH.Yes, you are right the 8 seaters are very much useful,but after travelling in those middle row captain seats of the 7 seater,we felt the high level passenger comfort given by them are incomparable with middle row bench seats of 8 seater.So we preferred for 7-seater even if our need was a 5 seater+luggage space.You can see many taxi innovas,most of them are 7-seaters,they give more importance to comfort level than number of seats.
Thanks Hari.

Main reason behind taxi operators selecting 7 seater is tax structure. 8 seater comes in different classification and higher tax. Also buying & insurance cost also differs i guess.

Innova G & V have huge price difference.Is it V varient is worth that money compared to Gx? What options missing in GX than V?

Thread Starter #15
Thanks Hari.

Main reason behind taxi operators selecting 7 seater is tax structure. 8 seater comes in different classification and higher tax. Also buying & insurance cost also differs i guess.

Innova G & V have huge price difference.Is it V varient is worth that money compared to Gx? What options missing in GX than V?
GX and VX have a 2.5 lakhs difference on on road price!!![cry]

The main options that we miss in gx than v are co-driver side airbag ,ACC and MID.But we can live without ACC and to an extent the MID,but co-driver side air bag is a great miss in GX.Various other features are just cosmetic that we can add later as accessories like Touch screen HU,alloys,chrome platings etc.In other words,GX is more sensitive.

Top Bottom