Mahindra Xylo 2014 H9 Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #1
Here is (probably) the first ownership experience of 2014 REFRESHED Xylo H9

Long waiting for the hero to take position.

1. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-BackingToDeliveryPoint.jpg

2. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-PrepForDelivery.jpg

3. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-GettingDressedUp.jpg

4. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9.jpg

5. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-FrontEyes.jpg

Some of the naughty pics -

6. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-Invited.jpg

7. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-Delivered.jpg

8. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-Back.jpg

9. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-Alloys.jpg

10. Xylo2014#REFRESH#H9-BeigeLeatherNew.jpg

Two days of driving the new H9, here is a summary-

0. Had been waiting to bring home this giant. Was impressed with the cost to feature ratio, compared to other MUVs in the segment

1. Visibility forward is excellent and it is like sitting tall on an elephant with a beautiful view

2. Rear view (from the central mirror) is pretty much poor. All you can see is some of the tall cars' tops and if there are any short cars, you can't view. Of course the reverse alarms are pretty effective

3. Engine is noisy; the cabin is not sound proof. In neutral you cannot hear much, but acceleration or deceleration, you cannot miss the (somewhat) peppy grunt

4. Except for floor mat, I didn't add any accessory, since it was 'fully loaded' MUV. Don't feel a need to add any, except for navigation/GPS, but these days mobiles are pretty effective in that area. An integrated console would have helped though (like in Scorpio). The cost is not that high these days..

5.Leather seats are good quality. Captain seat handles are pretty plasticky and sharp edges do hurt elbows. Mahindra has to certainly improve on this area

6. Integrated blue tooth is good except that the integration is NOT on the steering to browse/choose address book or numbers.Most of the time the audio-command doesn't recognize the Indian names from the phone book and I have to keep saying "No" to dialing a wrong person. Annoying

7. Jumping preset (1..6) radio stations is not possible from steering wheel. This is a feature I miss from SX4 & Figo. Pressing Next/Prev starts tuning

8. There are quirky noises coming from side mirrors and some other parts in dashboard. Need to figure out from where! Had never seen such in SX4 or Figo

9. Fog lamps (factory) fit still had gaps around the frame, looking odd.

10. Black and beige combination is awesome. It certainly gives the look of personal car, but the quality of finish has a long way to go. Steering wheel quality is high though.

11. Doors are hard to close. Half the time they are 'half-closed'

12. I also miss the feature to open all doors with a switch (next to window-up/down) for the driver, which is a very useful feature in SX4. Now I have to turn-around with my left hand to open driver side door knob, which opens all doors.

13. Seat height adjustment & Tilt-steering are not high quality, but very basic two position like. SX4 had nice features of these. Lumbar support is also similar tilting lever, which doesn't give a great support

14. After riding SX4 for years, drive in Xylo wasn't pleasant and was giving back aches. Need to figure out if it has got anything to do with adjustments of seat height/tilt/lumbar configuration

15. One nice feature in blue-tooth phone integration is "REDIAL" voice command. Comes pretty useful, when you had half finished conversation before starting the engine and continue from where you left

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Refreshed Xylo 2014 H9 ownership experience

Hearty congrats for your new mile muncher.

I was waiting to meet a new xylo H9 owner.

You didnt shared the colour, price and of course pictures.Expecting a lot of pictures from you.
H9 varient coming with cruise control and leather seats right? Is it the price difference of more than 1 lakh with H8 is worth?What was the offer/discounts got ?
it would have been better if mahindra give Xylo with Scorpio/xuv's touch screen infotainment system with GPS atleast in H9 model.

I am planning to buy an Innova for personal use within next 6 months, but mind says to go for xylo due to the price differnce, power & space. I didnt driven a Xylo till now though many times driven scorpio and Innova.
Did you driven old xylo, which has known for its boat like ride? Any differnce with their new improved comfort suspension? How is the ride compared to innova? We had an old innova(2005) in our family. Ride felt stiff in local roads and heard Xlyo had soft suspension setup better for local roads. Only problem heard was its swinging.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Re: Refreshed Xylo 2014 H9 ownership experience

Hearty congrats for your new mile muncher.

I was waiting to meet a new xylo H9 owner.

You didnt shared the colour, price and of course pictures.Expecting a lot of pictures from you.
H9 varient coming with cruise control and leather seats right? Is it the price difference of more than 1 lakh with H8 is worth?What was the offer/discounts got ?
it would have been better if mahindra give Xylo with Scorpio/xuv's touch screen infotainment system with GPS atleast in H9 model.

I am planning to buy an Innova for personal use within next 6 months, but mind says to go for xylo due to the price differnce, power & space. I didnt driven a Xylo till now though many times driven scorpio and Innova.
Did you driven old xylo, which has known for its boat like ride? Any differnce with their new improved comfort suspension? How is the ride compared to innova? We had an old innova(2005) in our family. Ride felt stiff in local roads and heard Xlyo had soft suspension setup better for local roads. Only problem heard was its swinging.
Added pictures now; H9 has cruise control & leather seats as standard. I didn't add any accessories except floor mats; given free by India Garage, Chennai.
There are no boating effects anymore. I have traveled & driven my friend's Xylo E6 many times and it did have that boating on all pot-holes & uneven roads. The new Xylo has better suspension levels (stiffer) and behaves just like a car. On the curvy roads, there is more tilt (@60 kmph) - causing occupants screaming to slow down! Didn't have such complaints in SX4, but with the height comes this issue, probably due to COG.
Innova is a different type of vehicle. Driving visibility (front & rear) are much better than Xylo, but in terms of space, I feel Xylo scores one point more. The captain seats for 1st & 2nd rows are much superior than Innova's. Also Xylo can take rougher roads with ease, but Innova expects good roads.

Thread Starter #5
Just returned from a 600 kms drive with the monster (am still finding a nice nick name to this giant). Driven in 2 days down south from Chennai, the overall driving experience was a pleasure. Cruise control works like a charm! I especially like the resume feature, when you had to slow down/brake the MUV for congested traffic and while you are picking-up speed you can simply switch to the previously used speed with a press of RESUME. Very handy feature. About 60 KMPH, the engine noise is at its minimum and feels like an airplane travel - smooth and jiffy. About 75 kmph the tyre noise picks-up and not cool.
This 600+ kms ride went through bumpy highways to super-smooth ECR, apart from slushy & crude village bye-pass roads. Xylo took it at its best and no feel of that inside the cabin.
Here are some pics-
Waiting for the master at the door of a restaurant
WaitingForTheMaster.jpg
Cloudy roads
IMG_20141213_114709.jpg
Finger on the Cruise control all times :)
CruiseController.jpg
Pictures with scenic trees
ScenicShotXylo.jpg

Congrats ARUN,your Xylophone looks hot in black.Wishing you many happy miles with XYLO.Please write more about the NVH above 100kmph and post more pictures of interior features and boot space.
If you can,please notice the rpm at which the engine runs when the vehicle is at 100kmph.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Mahindra XYLO. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Front Steel bumper will give a more giant form look.

^^ You mean front bumper guard? It is not safe for the pedastrians and also for the front seat passengers in new age vehicles with Airbag

Congrats on bringing home the Xylis- pronounced as zylis. I think its a great nickname for your Xylo. Congrats once again and wishing you many more happy miles. Btw a question- how is the comfort compared to the likes of Innova and Aria?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Congrats ARUN,your Xylophone looks hot in black.Wishing you many happy miles with XYLO.Please write more about the NVH above 100kmph and post more pictures of interior features and boot space.
If you can,please notice the rpm at which the engine runs when the vehicle is at 100kmph.
Will post more pics over the weekend. I suppose you meant Xylo and not Xylophone :) NVH above 80 is a concern, especially the tyre noise coming in. Boot-space hasn't changed at all. The 60:40 folding is good, but only the backrest can be folded, not the seat. So it is awkward to have luggage on the closed backrest, which will be like high-raised. Semi-useful!

Thread Starter #11
Congrats on bringing home the Xylis- pronounced as zylis. I think its a great nickname for your Xylo. Congrats once again and wishing you many more happy miles. Btw a question- how is the comfort compared to the likes of Innova and Aria?
Haven't traveled in Aria, so no comments. Innova's ride comfort is much better than Xylo and Innova feels & behaves like a big car. Xylo is certainly a MUV and not sure if this will be a right comparison. Xylo can do good amount of off-road rides, which Innova would not.
PS: I do have a Xylis watch :) Will look for a different nick name :)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
^^ You mean front bumper guard? It is not safe for the pedastrians and also for the front seat passengers in new age vehicles with Airbag
Agreed. Front bumper guard makes it a taxi :) Without any of those ornaments, the giant looks much personal/private. Pictures posted above should talk [:D]

Congratulations on your black xylo.Looks majestic.Wishing you many happy miles with it.
Dont get any guards for your ride, it harms the ride more at the collision rather then saving.
Post some better interior pictures.

Will post more pics over the weekend. I suppose you meant Xylo and not Xylophone :) NVH above 80 is a concern, especially the tyre noise coming in. Boot-space hasn't changed at all. The 60:40 folding is good, but only the backrest can be folded, not the seat. So it is awkward to have luggage on the closed backrest, which will be like high-raised. Semi-useful!
Thanks Arun for your reply,and yes you heard right -I called it Xylophone.I love to call it Xylophone than xylo[:D]

bhvm

Honoured Member
arun, Welcome and congrats for the beast!
Any special reason you went for the XYLO rather than scorpio, Safari, XUV??
I have extensively researched about XYLo before buying the XUV,

I am surprized you found the view to be good. In my opinion, the winscreen is very small and restrictive, also the seating and driving position looked to be optimized for small men.
Other problem is found is huge sway when cornering/overtaking and the perfromance above 120 is not good.

Any mods you've planned for the beast?
How about wide tyres and some neat headlamps etc?

Top Bottom