Airawat - My White Maruti Ertiga ZDi

Thread Starter #1
I have been a bike lover since my college days and enjoyed riding my fiery red Suzuki Fiero that my father bought for me in 2002. I have covered a lot of ground on my bike all these years, visited many places, and have a lot of fond memories of all those journeys. In 2005, when I relocated to Pune from Bangalore, I took my bike along and covered many places there as well. I brought the bike back to Bangalore with me in 2011 when I relocated back to Bangalore again. Over the years, the fiero has served me diligently, without any major breakdowns or issues.

Never in the past 12 years did I ever feel the need for a car except for the time when my parents or my in-laws visit us here in Bangalore. I never gave a second thought to it, because I used to hire a taxi whenever required and he was always a phone call away whenever his services were required. Till this date I consider hiring a taxi to be much more convenient & fuss free. You don’t have to worry about the mileage that you are getting, no maintenance, no EMIs, and since a taxi comes along with a driver, you need not care about your parking woes or traffic hassles. Lastly, you save yourself a lot of heartburn if a biker or a fellow car driver scrapes the car bumpers or bangs the ORVM at a traffic signal. Trust me when I tell you that this happens a lot in Bangalore, especially at the Silk Board signal.

Nevertheless, going out together as a family was gradually becoming a challenge for us. Even though I received numerous hints from parents, family and in-laws that it was time for me to buy a car, I didn’t pay much attention at the time. However, come 2014, the increasingly frequent requirements of going out together as a group, made me give this matter some serious thought and I started looking at the available car options.

But, before I could look at cars, I had to answer 2 primary questions myself:

Sedan or a Hatchback?
This was the biggest & the trickiest question for me to answer and I spent many sleepless hours trying to decide. My mind kept playing tricks and confused me a lot about this, one day I would decide that a hatchback would be good; the very next day my mind would vote in favour of the sedan. This indecisiveness irritated my family a lot, especially my wife, to whom I would keep telling all my reasons and explanations.

Petrol or Diesel?
Though a diesel-work horse suits you best when your daily running is more than 30 Km/day, the pickup and convenience of driving a petrol engine within city limits cannot be matched. The premium pricing of the diesel models also don’t help. Additionally, having been used to driving the Wagon-R, I still had to undergo the diesel engine driving curve. My daily office commute is about 23 kilometres both ways, which isn’t that great a distance to warrant a diesel work-horse. However, I concluded that going forward, my travels will increase and since I plan on keeping the car for the next 8-10 years, getting the diesel variant would make more sense.​

Which Car???
Once the above 2 questions about the car type & the fuel choice were answered, I began my search…

Since my father owns a 2006 Wagon R, the very first car that came to my mind when I began my search was the first-gen Wagon-R. To me, that vehicle represents comfort, convenience, space, and above all fuss-free ownership. I am sure that those who own that vehicle can vouch for what I am saying. All these years that we have owned that vehicle, there have never been any issues with that vehicle, except for routine wear & tear. That car is still going strong and we intend to keep it for as long as possible. However, please note that I am referring only to the first generation of Wagon-R’s, the one with the square-ish windows and reclining second row seats. The later iterations, especially the Sting-Ray were a huge disappointment to me. I still don’t understand why the designers at Maruti are hell bent on spoiling such a nice car. Anyways, since our first car was a Wagon-R, all my expectations & requirements from a car were derived with respect to the Wagon-R itself. In fact, so accustomed was I to that vehicle that I was seriously contemplating buying a pre-owned first-gen Wagon-R, but my wife and parents were dead against it. Two similar models in the same household didn’t make any sense to them. I’ve had numerous discussions with my parents & wife regarding this and each time I was out-voted 3 to 1. Finally I had to give in to their demands and look out for other models. However, even though my family had out-voted the Wagon-R, I would compare each & every car to it, be it a hatchback or a sedan. To be honest, I must admit that my judgement was totally biased towards the Wagon-R and other car model’s had very little chances of making it to my final list.

Since the Wagon-R was not an option anymore, I jotted down the following requirements as ‘compulsory’ & ‘must-have’ features, and started looking at the various options available in the market today:

1. Good interior space along with decent boot space
  2. All safety features compulsory (Airbags, ABS+EBD)
  3. Rear-defogger for rainy days
  4. Decent head space (Wagon-R effect)
  5. Good ground clearance
  6. Comfortable during long drives
  7. Power Windows
  8. Dead Pedal
  9. Excellent Mileage (approx. 15+ km/pl). Being an Indian, I find it hard to expect less)

Some other points which were ‘nice to have’ but not compulsory:

1. Bluetooth Calling
  2. Foldable ORVMs
  3. Steering mounted controls

I had read up a lot of ownership & official review threads on T-BHP and on TAI on a lot of cars and was very impressed with them; these threads made my decision making a lot easier, so much so that I ruled out a few of the car simply by reading their reviews online. I simply looked at their pros & cons list and compared them against my requirements. Though many people might frown upon this method of selection and may disagree with me on this point, but with the number of choices available in the market today it becomes difficult to try out each and every one of them.

I only looked and test drove the Ertiga, the Skoda Rapid, the Honda City and the Fiat Linea before making my choice. Don’t get me wrong, each of the 4 cars are excellent in their own right and our forum is full of all their plus points, I am only going to list down the reasons why I ended up rejecting them.

Skoda Rapid:
  1. I was and still am very impressed with the Rapid, but my parents and wife rejected that car outright due to the transmission hump in the rear seating area.
  2. The second reason for rejection was the outrageously priced spare parts.
  3. Last, and the biggest deal breaker - the scary Skoda After-Sales-Service. The A.S.S is the most important part of a car’s ownership. Simply buying a car is not enough; you need a good service framework to continue the car’s maintenance.
Honda City:
  1. I simply didn’t like the new design of the 2014 models. It seems that almost all auto makers are trying to imitate the fluidic design of the Hyundai Verna. I consider the pre-2014 design to the best design from Honda till date.
  2. Ground Clearance still not satisfactory – I live in Bangalore and it is a city of potholes and bumpers. Moreover, the area where I live, Vijaya Bank Layout, seems to be especially devoid of plain, tarred roads. My area has a lot of speed bumps immediately followed by deep potholes and construction debris strewn across in all directions; while taking a test drive, the car got scraped twice and each time, I could feel a slight aching sensation in my heart, even though the car was a test car.
Fiat Linea:
  1. Insufficient foot space between the clutch and the side wall. I tried to adjust my feet twice with different footwear but kept getting my foot stuck.
  2. Second row seating not sufficient for 3 people. There simply wasn’t enough shoulder space in the rear set when 3 people sit there. Furthermore, my head kept grazing the ceiling when I sat near the windows. Though I rarely sit in the rear seat, I kept wondering what would happen if I was sitting there and we went over a speed bump.

Taking all of the above points into account, the Ertiga seemed to be the only logical choice. Mind you, I did wait long enough for the Mobilio to be launched, but the outrageous price quoted for that car and the pathetic build quality made me change my mind. I don’t understand how and why did the people at Honda think that they could push such a crap product in the Indian market and get away with it. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the price when I buy something but I do expect the product to be worth the price being quoted for it. The Mobilio with its Brio lineage and Amaze like build quality didn’t really cut it for me.

Anyways, coming back to my car choice, the Ertiga felt almost like an extension of the Wagon-R in all respects with space for 2 more passengers and a diesel engine. Moreover, that vehicle seemed to tick almost all the right boxes in my requirement list. I could live with the missing Bluetooth calling facilities or the folding ORVMs, but the ZDi edition comes with the steering controls so I was happy.

Booking & Payment Decisions
Now that I had narrowed down the car, it was time to think about the payment mode. Though I had the cash to make an outright purchase, I didn’t want to spend that much cash in one go. I also contemplated taking a car loan but didn’t feel like paying interest while I had enough cash, hence, decided to go for a Car Overdraft Loan. For those who are aware of this facility would know how much relief it provides in the long run. The loan processing took all of 2 days and was processed from SBI.

All things done, I called up the Bimal Maruti guys on 29th September, 2014 and asked them to come and collect the booking amount. I paid Rs. 5000 towards the booking amount and thus began my wait…

While I was waiting for my car to come, I found the time between booking and the delivery date to be excruciatingly unbearable. Neither can you wait for your car to come, nor can you do anything to speed up the delivery process. Nevertheless, after a wait of nearly a month, I received a call from the sales guys at Bimal on 18th October, 2014 saying that my car has reached Bangalore and I could take delivery of the vehicle on the 20th. I was about to say yes to the guy, when I suddenly realised that I need to do a PDI of the car before I could get it registered to my name. Hence, I asked him to wait till I completed the PDI and carry out the registration only after I gave my go ahead. The next Monday, I went to Bimal Maruti’s stock yard with the TAI checklist and completed my PDI. To my surprise, the manufacturing date on the car’s VIN was October 2014 and the car had only 7 KMS on the odometer. I completed my PDI and gave my go ahead to the sales person to get the car registered. The finance dept. guys from Bimal had already completed all the loan formalities and I made the balance payment to them via cheque the same day itself.

Delivery
On 21st October, 2014, Dhanteras day, the SA brought the car along with the keys and all necessary documents for the delivery. Since my house has a temple right across the street, I asked him to take it there for the puja and I took delivery of the vehicle there. I did make a note of the odometer reading at the time and finished a detailed inspection of the vehicle before the puja as well. The odometer reading was 46 which was satisfactory given the distance between my house, the workshop and the RTO.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Initial Impressions
I have only completed ~1050 kms with Aerawat and got the first servicing done last week. So far, I haven’t been able to gauge the vehicle’s capabilities fully. Much has been said and written by fellow TAI members about this car’s features already, still I would like to share a few points about the car which could have been better:

1. Build Quality: This is one area wherein I felt Maruti could have improved a lot, a hell lot. It seems like the sheets are made out of very low quality, ultra-thin metal. I am afraid to put my hand on the bonnet lest I should dent it. The older Maruti’s (the 800, the Wagon-R) were much tougher, much more durable.
  2. Head Lamps: The stock HLs on the car could barely light a dark road. Numerous times I have tried to switch them on only to realize that they were already on. I eventually upgraded the lights to Hella Rally 100/90W.
  3. Interiors: Another area where Maruti should improve a lot. Beige interiors? Though the colour does bring an airy feeling, it’s very difficult to maintain. I also have an issue with the dash, why couldn’t Maruti provide a black dashboard? Both Swift & the Dzire come with black dashboards and have the same design; what could have stopped Maruti designer’s from slapping on the same colour combination here as well.
  4. Fit & Finish: The finishing needs to be improved a lot. The build qualities of the plastic components leave a lot of room for improvement. It’s high time that Maruti starts working on this point earnestly. Mind you, they do charge a bomb for those components but the quality can be improved a lot more.
  5. Music System: Though the stock HU is pretty competent, I feel that Maruti could have included a Bluetooth calling functionality. One might think that I have very high expectations from Maruti, but these days, the calling function should become a must have feature. Other than this, I am pretty satisfied with the sound quality; the player even recognizes an iPod.
  6. Driver Armrest: An armrest on the front row would be very useful, not only to rest your hands during long journeys but also to keep small knickknacks like coins and toll receipts.
  7. Glove Compartment: The glove box could have used a bit more size and depth. At its present size, its smaller than the one in our Wagon-R.
  8. Interior Lamps: Though the Ertiga comes with 2 interior lamps, I still feel that the second row could have been provided with one too. On a recent trip to Mysore, I sorely missed the lights in the second row when I dropped my keys.
  9. Charging Points: For such a big car, the Ertiga comes with just 1 charging point. A second charging point near the second row would have helped a lot.
  10. Distance to Empty: To be honest, I really didn’t understand the logic behind this feature. If you ask me, this should start working after the fuel warning light comes on and not the other way around. Providing the DTE feature while you have enough fuel in the tank kind of defeats the whole purpose of this feature.
  11. Cruise Control: For a car which is a people mover and most definitely will be used for long drives quite often, this feature is sorely missed.
Engine Performance
Having only driven a petrol car earlier, I found the initial driving experience to be very frustrating. A petrol car has a lot of pickup but a diesel car does not. Secondly, I still wasn’t accustomed to driving a diesel car and lastly, since I had read a lot about the infamous turbo lag issue, I think I was a bit too sceptical. But with time, I have managed to overcome those niggles and don’t find any issues driving to work. I don’t have anything further to add about the engine performance at the moment, as I am yet to cross the 2K kms mark. I have been strictly following the ‘engine running-in’ guidelines, and haven’t crossed the 100 kmph for more than 5-6 seconds.

The NVH levels in the car are also pretty low considering that this is a diesel engine. However, I am still planning to go with the 3M underbody coating which I have heard that it muffles the engine noise by a fair margin.

Thread Starter #3
Accessories Installed At the Moment

1. 3D Kagu Spider Mats: Bought from Konark’s Car Care for Rs. 6100
  2. MGA Seat Cover: Bought & installed from Kalyani Motor’s, Bannerghatta Road Rs. 6990. The seat cover quality is good but I am not satisfied with the fitting & finish. The cover's have already started tearing up from the corner's due to the bad fitting.
  3. Head Lamp Upgrade: Hella Rally H4 100/90W bulbs with Hella wiring harness & relay Rs. 1200. Installation carried out at Konark’s Car Care, Jayanagar, Bangalore.
  4. i-POP Steering Knob: Installed at Konark’s Car Care, Jayanagar, Bangalore. Rs. 550. Installation carried out at Konark’s Car Care, Jayanagar, Bangalore.
  5. Neck Cushion Pillow: Carrific Beige & Brown Car-Seat pillows online via e-Bay for Rs. 380

Accessories Planned going forward

1. Jabra Drive Bluetooth Speakerphone
  2. Auxillary Lamps for highways

[:)] Parting Note [:)]
This is my first review on any automotive kind of forum and is completely based on my thoughts & personal opinion. I hope it was interesting for everyone who read it and gave a different perspective to those who are looking to buy an ertiga and need some help/suggestions/advise.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Note: Thread now live. Excellent write-up and congrats on the new car!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congrats buddy on your.better buy. You did the right choice. When I read your whole write up I felt I were in your shoes was on same kind of situation when selecting a better buy. I had wagonr as my second car considering its build quality Ertiga is better. Also consider the H badge MPV you can see a better car and vfm product in ertiga.

1. Center arm rest can be fixed after market for 1k
2. Change the cabin lights to led I even have a roof led tv which has inbuilt led focus light which gives enough lighting in second row.
3. I felt glove box more than enough and wagonr is flimsy.
4. Extra chafging points I have fixed a 3 slot cigrate lighter for 300rs now I have 3 charging points.
5. DTE is always usefull. In highway rides you always can check when and where it need a refill. Considering in ford cars the dte goes blank once car low fuel light glows up and making driver panic of how long it can reach.

Nice review agd19682, and nice choice. I second to what Kinki bro said, as I too upgraded from WagonR to LUV last year [clap]

Congratulations on your airawat and wish you and your family many happy miles with it.
Regarding the dash rather then giving on the cng variant they should have given the black beige combo on all the variants of ertiga.It looks much better in that combination.

Congratulations !!!! your Airawat looks brilliant. Wish you a very happy and safe ownership experience.

Pankaj

Thread Starter #9
The ‘Kitna Deti Hai’ Question

I just realized, I haven’t mentioned the most important question that all Indian’s are entitled to and obsessed with, myself included [:D], the ‘Kitna Deti Hai’ figures. My review would be incomplete without those details. So, here goes, the initial mileage details are given below:

Mileage Figures.jpg

Please note that the above figures were simply taken off the odometer.

Headlight Pics post the Hella 100/90W Upgrade:
The pictures were taken while coming back from Mysore to Bangalore at a location where there were no street lights for a stretch of nearly a kilometer, Hence the grainy pictures.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The i-POP Steering Knob & Neck Rests

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Another pic of my 'Aerawat'

16.jpg

Last edited:
Truly a nice and handsome Airawat ji!
Welcome to the LUVerz club and wishing thousands of LUVly miles! [clap]
Nice review, although I do not agree with you regarding the build quality and plastic quality in the Ertiga.
Although not the best, the metal quality is definitely better than Honda's latest cars and moreover, no new model of any brand has a really tough and "bend proof" bonnet. It is definitely not as pathetic as you have mentioned. It requires at-least a firm push using a thumb. Also, compared to the Mobilio, the Ertiga's interior quality is way ahead and have a long-lasting and fine feel for most of the parts.
I agree that some metal sheets as on the rear-side panel around the tail-lamps are quite weak and the power-mirror controls are quite flimsy too. Also the All-beige interiors are a pain to keep clean. But such things don't really retract from the fact that it is a great package and way better than it's direct rivals.
Do share your experiences and lot more pics! [cheers]

Thread Starter #11
4. Extra chafging points I have fixed a 3 slot cigrate lighter for 300rs now I have 3 charging points.
Buddy can you post a picture of the charging points? I would like to take a look. Is it available at your thread?

Nice review agd19682, and nice choice. I second to what Kinki bro said, as I too upgraded from WagonR to LUV last year [clap]
Thanks Autorock, I guess the Ertiga has become the next upgrade point for those who own a Wagon-R [;)]

Congratulations on your airawat and wish you and your family many happy miles with it.
Regarding the dash rather then giving on the cng variant they should have given the black beige combo on all the variants of ertiga.It looks much better in that combination.
Thanks Vijay. My point exactly, the people at Maruti could have easily provided the black/beige combo on the dash. [frustration]

Congratulations !!!! your Airawat looks brilliant. Wish you a very happy and safe ownership experience.

Pankaj
Thanks Pankaj.

Thread Starter #12
Truly a nice and handsome Airawat ji!
Welcome to the LUVerz club and wishing thousands of LUVly miles! [clap]
Nice review, although I do not agree with you regarding the build quality and plastic quality in the Ertiga.
Although not the best, the metal quality is definitely better than Honda's latest cars and moreover, no new model of any brand has a really tough and "bend proof" bonnet. It is definitely not as pathetic as you have mentioned. It requires at-least a firm push using a thumb. Also, compared to the Mobilio, the Ertiga's interior quality is way ahead and have a long-lasting and fine feel for most of the parts.
I agree that some metal sheets as on the rear-side panel around the tail-lamps are quite weak and the power-mirror controls are quite flimsy too. Also the All-beige interiors are a pain to keep clean. But such things don't really retract from the fact that it is a great package and way better than it's direct rivals.
Do share your experiences and lot more pics! [cheers]
I definitely agree with you on the Ertiga's build quality being better than any other car from the same segment. However, I was comparing the build quality of Maruti cars with its previous generation models eg, the M800, the older Wagon-R etc.

The Ertiga is definitely a well-rounded & well-packaged product as compared to its competitors but it has a lot of room for improvements too being a 10L+ car. Just take a look at the Hyundai Grand i10; that car comes loaded with features to the hilt & the build qualities of the interiors seem really premium quality.

By the way, some latest pics from our 2 day trip: 231 kms round.
6 people on-board for most of the time and lots of shopping luggage. Bad traffic, good roads.

Attachments

Dont you think mileage figures are wrong on the pic [lol] ???

462 Kms covered in 35.76 ltrs mileage would be 12.9 km/ltr [clap]

Dont know how you calculated though [evil]

Thread Starter #15
Dont you think mileage figures are wrong on the pic [lol] ???

462 Kms covered in 35.76 ltrs mileage would be 12.9 km/ltr [clap]

Dont know how you calculated though [evil]
Not really Schimulkar, I am calculating the average based on the previous refill value. Take a look at the attached excel sheet, it will give you an idea on how I am calculating the average. But thanks for bringing this to my attention, I see that the previous image had the average details in the first cell itself. I have corrected that now and you can see the corrected one below:

Mileage Details.jpg

Attachments

Top Bottom