My First Car: Tata Zest XT QJD Pristine White

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I was not sure if to start my own thread or to continue with existing ownership review but here I am, with a new thread

This is going to be my first ownership review ever, hence bear with me and share your comments pls.

It all started 6 months back, when we (me and my wife) decided to buy our first car, I was super excited and was equally confused with so many options. Just like everybody, I was confused between a Petrol or a Diesel engine? Though my monthly run won`t be more than 1000km but looking at my Petrol car owner friends who don’t take their car out just because it would cost, I decided to go with Diesel engine, that too, now the Diesels being regularized just like petrol. I started the hunt by reading various Official Review / Ownership Review and Test drive Review from TAI and Team BHP (thanks to each one you, without which it would have been very difficult :)

After various research and TD`ing, I decided to go with Vista. Believe me, I decided to go with Vista above Polo. Somehow I felt VW overpriced their products even though their quality is unmatched. Many of my friends did not agree with my decision, because the perception TATA has created “Tata ?.... Woh taxi gaadi?” (believe me, I still get that questions). Somehow we overcome that and went ahead with our decision. We felt Vista was VFM, with so many feature and at a reasonable price. The hunt was closed, until my friend suggested to look at Amaze. Till then sub 4 meter was out of my mind. I agreed and asked the SA from Capital Honda for TD and I received a very good response from them. When I sat inside the car, I was in love immediately. Wow… what a caaaaaaar!

But few things did not made me to go with it like the NVH level, the build quality and features (though dashboard was of good quality, I still like the ‘tak’ sound when you close that AC vent). The decision to buy Amaze postponed. Vista was out of scope now, since we believed sub 4 meter makes sense, esp. when we are planning to have a long relation with our first car.

Waited for a month for Xcent to launch and after launch, I still preferred Amaze. Then came the news from TML launching sub 4 meter.
We were super excited after reading various features it hold and of course it’s TATA again. As it is said ‘all which starts well, ends well’, in my case, it started with TATA and end with TATA The wait was over on 12th August and I did the TD immediately. I won’t say I fell in love immediately but it was like Rahman`s music which you love over a period of listening.

We stopped our hunt on 30 Aug when we made the initial booking amount of 21k to Concorde Motors, Guindy, Chennai. Had very good experience with Concorde showroom, SA were polite and knowledge (I am not saying well knowledge here) but helped with all my queries and did not push for the purchase (I think, they might have seen the excitement on my face). Booking was done and expected date of delivery was 15th oct.

Came 9th oct and I got call from the showroom that my XT Diesel sky grey has arrived. Have already mentioned my first look experience at test drive thread.
After various discussion with my wife, we decided not to go with sky grey color, considering the safety during night drive. We informed our decision to the SA from Concorde motors and they were completely ok with it. They understood our concern and agreed to help as much as possible. The other color option we gave were white and silver.
They initially informed us that it would take another 8 weeks to get a new color but came a surprise call on 31st Oct when they had received a Prestine White Zest which was booked for another customer but since there was some delay from customer end, they were ok if I take up the car.

Again, I was super excited, took a day off from office, went to SBI bank, completed final formalities and there I go, all payments done on 31st. Being first car, we wanted in shubh din and that was 11th Nov (I know its long but I was not the deciding person here, being WE it had to be SHE). The day came, we went to the showroom, all docs were ready and the SA was waiting for our signature. All procedure completed in an hr time and during that time, they kept our car ready. Everything done with little delay and we drove off with a big smile, ofcourse not a single penny was reduced and no free accessories

One thing to point out….. pls pls…while performing pooja, do not put chandan anywhere in the car -specially on car body (I remember somebody pointed out this in earlier thread but I am re-iterating this). Mine being white, I am not able to remove it completely. Even 3M guys could not do so. What best you can do is, remove the chandan immediately after it is applied. I did the mistake by keeping it overnight.

Overall…. I am a happy customer and would rate 4/5 with my initial interaction with TATA motors. Frankly, i am continue to get the support from the showroom team even after the purchase. Special thanks to Shobana (TL) and Senthil (TSM) of Concorde Motors.

Accessories I opted for: Zest logo carpet, Mudflaps and Car cover. Have also opted for gold AMC and extended warranty. Haven`t got any booklet for extended warranty but I have received a receipt kind of thing, confirming extended warranty has been attached to my car They said, their system is updated and the ASS systems would also be updated. Hence, I don’t have to worry.

My input (both pros and cons) about this car other than what already has been said:-

#NVH is much far better than any other diesel car. Won`t say it is silent inside the cabin but its best in the segment.

#Have driven 200 km till now inside the city and haven’t felt any gear vibration (in all the gears)

#The ‘A’ pillar near the driver seat is pretty broad, that would create a blind spot when you take right.

#I felt, shifting to 3rd gear is not smooth, it was like shifting gear with half clutch.

#Reverse sensor are good. Both extreme side sensors covers the maximum possible angle

#I did not feel hot air coming in, when internal circulation was switched off

#Phone Bluetooth with the ICE works flawless

#Though the horn pad is little hard to press, I love the horn sound and is loud. I can feel the dual horn and is perfect for Chennai city.

#Putting reverse gear is little tricky than other gear. You have to press clutch complete down and have to pull the gear knob with little force, half gear though pull the car down but will create some noise

#After running 200km, I can see the clutch is not smooth, though is not something to worry about since it will be taken care during the first service

Liked the changes 1) 18 spoke alloy wheel (the one given for lower end model) is now given for XT variant; and 2) the pad color on the door was previously beige and brown and now it`s changed to complete brown. From the beginning I was wondering how to keep that place clean specially with light color.

The car cover provided by the showroom fits perfectly like a lamination sheet. About car cover:-

#Cover has space for both the mirrors. Hence you don’t have to close the mirror

#Antenna is covered perfectly

#Has TATA logo at back and Zest written on the front; and finally the part I love

#Car cover is equipped with a big zip at driver’s side . Which means, in case you want to get inside the car after car cover is placed, you don’t have to remove the cover completely, just upzip and you can open the door (great idea).

My plan is to keep this thread as active as possible for years to come. So that’s it.

Thanks again to all and would love to see other Zestians on road and will sure respond with some sign (might be two blink of a high beam) btw, haven’t seen a single Zest on Chennai highway yet. I am travelling daily 23 km from Velacherry to Perungalathur.

** If I have left anything to cover, pls let me know, would love to share up things.

Last edited:
Re: My first car-TATA ZEST XT QJD Prestine White

Very nicely written. your enthusiasm for car is visible in your review. wish you a lots of happy miles in your white beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My first car-TATA ZEST XT QJD Prestine White

Congrats for your acquisition. Very nice review. Wish you millions of happy miles...

Please post some pics.

a very hearty congrats on your smart buy. zest is a revolutionary product. tell something about touch screen response and engine. I heard it gets a little too hot

happy zillions of mile as with zest

Heartiest congratulations on your zest and wish you many happy miles with it.
Do share some pictures of your ride along with the accessories you choosed, along with the changes on doorpads as you mentioned.
Do ask for the extended warranty booklet or card even if they have updated their system.
I have been constantly asking this to members firstly to remove those ribbons and secondly about the puja marks, as with chemicals they are added would put stains on your new vehicles which gets very hard to remove.
Keep updating the ownership thread and post pictures of your ride.

Liked the changes 1) 18 spoke alloy wheel (the one given for lower end model) is now given for XT variant;
When does this started?
Last Sunday I visited AutoVikas to inquire about my Zest XT Revotron booking status and saw one XT getting ready for Delivery. It had 8 spoke alloy wheel. I even asked my SA if my XT alloy wheel get exchanged with lower model spoke wheel, to which he flatly refused.[frustration]
It would be very great if I too get the 18 spoke alloy as it looks perfect with dune beige color.
Did you bought insurance from dealer or outside?

Congrats to you !!!! Happy and Safe Drive always.
Please add some pics to the thread. The review says how much love with the car !!!

Congrats Sundar. I think it's wise decision to book Tata Zest over Honda Amaze. But one more thing is highly disappointing [frustration] me, which is no pics of your first car. Add loads and loads pics in your ownership thread.

Wish Happy miles[drive] ahead & Keep updating the thread.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Tata Zest. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
The Statement which you have given is wonderful and happening everywhere i believe

"deciding person here, being WE it had to be SHE"

@ Sudarmani, Let me congratulate you first for your Ride. Have a Pride and fuss free Ownership. This thread is incomplete with the photos. Upload it to make the thread more interesting.

Thread Starter #13
Thank each and we every one of you for your wonderful wishes and positive notes. I am sure I will keep this thread active with all your support but you know I haven't taken a single snap of my car�� but I will soon update this thread with my experience at 3M car care.

Hello Everyone,

Here is the next update on my car [:)]

After the purchase, the first thing in my mind was underbody anti corrosion paint and sun film (knowing it`s not legal) but can`t bare Chennai weather (hot all-round the year).

After analyzing and speaking with various dealers, I found 3M CR70 is the best available sun film and was within budget (looking at long term relation with my car). Enquired multiple 3M dealers and found cost of the film was just Rs. 500 less than 3M car care service. I went ahead and booked my appointment with 3M car care service at OMR. Reason why with 3M car care?
#Well professional team
#Ofcourse genuine products
#Gave warranty on their products
#They have anti-dust room, making sure no dust falls when sticking the film (not like others who do it on the road);
#They stick the film without removing the glass, unlike other accessory shop who operate on your car doors; and finally
#All the products they use are from 3M brand
It was Saturday morning and after so much of pain taking effort, I was as usual 1 hr. late, they accepted my apologies and went ahead with the process. During the talk with the owner and few bargain, I went ahead with the below services on my new car
# 5 year anti corrosion was not available, hence took with 2 year one with 4 free checkup. During checkup, if they find something is wrong, they will re paint it free of cost. With 5 year warranty, you have 10 free checkup (basically a checkup every 6 months).
The anti-corrosion paint I opted has a life of approx. 3 years.
# Initial plan was CR70 for windshield and RE70 for remaining glasses but end up CR70 on all sides. I know it’s going to be expensive but it`s worth it. The AC has become more effective. Now I run my car at fan speed 1 and temp at 27 degree. Can you believe that in Chennai weather? Also I drive without my goggles. I truly recommend CR70 to every one of you

Also, they did a brilliant job by pasting the film inside of the glass. This film has 70%VLT, 99.99% of UV rejection and just 9% of VLR. I doubt if Chennai cops would ever find it out (finger crossed)
Of course it comes with a 5 year warranty
They asked me to revisit their station after 2 days to make sure no bubbles are popped inside the film and everything is perfect.
Also, you can paste these film on rear glass, on top of defogger. I checked in online and asked the individual. He confirmed its safe and the defogger would work fine, though haven’t got chance to test it (God…. some rain in Chennai pls). The only issue would be when you want to remove the film, it should be removed by a pro making sure he does not break the defogger wiring.
# 3M Paint Sealant Program: This gives sealant protection to the paint surface from oxidation, pollutions and harmful UV rays. This program is specially done for cars which is less than 6 month old. For cars greater than 6 months, they provide a different service. This sealant has a life of 10 months.
This process takes around 2 hrs of time. They start with air gun wash, then water wash, then foam wash…………………….. till the last task is performed. During this process, they clean your car inside out end to end.
# Scotchgard Paint Protection Film (PPF): This is a colorless, thermoplastic urethane film which protects paints from scrapes and small scratches. In other words, it’s like a scratch guard for your mobile phone but of a much more high quality. This film cost around Rs. 500 / sq ft.
I requested them on my car mirrors, 4 door handles and door edges which was overall 5 sq ft. You can also apply on front / back bumpers and on car bonnet (if you do regular highway travel)
One thing to point out is, these services takes your whole day. I reached at 11 in the morning and left at 6.30 p.m. Though I could have left in between, but wanted to gain some knowledge on how these guys works and other small stuffs.
When I walked out, I was very happy with their service, of course with no money left on my card
One more thing to point out. These people keep taking snaps on all their work on all cars. One, to showcase to other customer and 2nd, to show it to the owner, so that you can see the difference.
What I carried along with my bill? 1) Warranty card for anti-corrosion paint with date for free check-up, 2) warranty card for sun film and 3) referral card. If I somehow make my friend to visit this station and spend min. of 1k, my car would get free foam wash and wax polish though my referred friend would get free water wash, not sure if foam wash is included.
I would really recommend my wealthy (or those who love their car more than their wives) friends to visit 3M Car Care service for professionalism these guys hold.
Various other services provided can be found in this link 3M Car Care
Check the photos. Again due to less battery in my mobile I restricted the numbers. I had to spend my full day there
Next update would be my search on seat cover…..

Thread Starter #15
a very hearty congrats on your smart buy . . zest is a revolutionary product .... tell something about touch screen response and engine..... I heard it gets a little too hot

happy zillions of mile as with zest
Even I thought the capacitive touch screen won't be good but believe me, it is good. You can't expect it to be like our mobile phone but it's smooth and good. It will sure last long.
About the engine, it's s proven engine and TATA been running this engine for a while now. Though you will hear some noise inside the cabin, but its what you get when you but a diesel car. Car is powerful and the pick up is good.
If you are looking some specific answer let me know, I will be more brief

Last edited:

Top Bottom