Hyundai Xcent (SX) CRDi Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
An upgrade was not extremely necessary but since new technologies and features had come a feature rich car was certainly on my mind.

My requirements:

a) It has to be a Diesel as the running would be 2000 km/month.
b) Must be feature rich
c) We have had 5 hatchbacks – so this could be a sedan.
d) The service network
e) Ample Space for 4

With the above requirements our search for a new car preferably a sedan started a month ago. I test drove Tata Zest, Hyundai Xcent, Chevrolet Sail, didn’t consider Maruti Suzuki Dzire as I have Swift at home. After lots of discussion here at TAI finalized Hyundai Xcent.

Went to Devaki Hyundai, Dhule on 6th of October to book Xcent SX(O) top end variant. Color options were Sleek Silver & Twilight Blue; white was not considered because we have used 5 cars out of which 4 were white so far, so mom & wife were against it. SE told us “Xcent is not readily available with us, the stock we have is already booked & therefore delivery will take 20-25 days”.
Dealer is our family friend so on the same day my father told him about this conversation with the SE. Dealer told us he can arrange the car for us at any time but will have to choose between “S” & “SX” variant as “SX(O)” variant was not readily available with him. The difference between SX & SX(O) was ABS & 15” Alloys. So went ahead with the SX variant. Luckily SX variant was available in Sleek Silver so told the dealer to finalized it. Did PDI on the same day according to the checklist on TAI.

Decided to take a loan from Central Bank of India (Me & my father are Panel Advocates of this Bank). On 7th of October me & my father went to the Bank at 10:30. Did all the procedure in just 3 Hrs including sanctioning the loan, making Bond & all the other formalities & paperwork. Got the D.D. by 1:30, went home to pick up my Mom & wife. Reached at the dealership by 2:30, did paperwork & took the delivery of the car.

Added some accessories as follows:
1) RTO approved Garware Sun Films 71% Heat Resistant: Rs. 2700/-
2) Jute Seat Covers: Rs. 4000/-
3) Full Matting: Rs. 1100/-
4) Mud Flaps: Rs. 250/-
5) 100/90 Philips Headlight Bulbs with relay: Rs. 1100/-
6) Roots Dual Tone Horn (Skoda type): Rs. 750/-

Total Damage: Rs. 9900/-

After spending 1 month & 1100 kms

What I Like:

The design:- Hyundai Xcent is based on the Hyundai Grand i10 hatchback and the resemblance is evident. But the boot has been integrated very nicely in the Hyundai Xcent. The rear of the car does look nice and proportionate and does not look like a slap on boot like some other compact sedans.

Boot:- Given the generous leg room there is no compromise on the boot. It is a well finished boot and the rear seat passengers do not have any issues on space, 407ltr boot space is biggest in segment.

Audio System:- Audio system is feature packed as well, it offers Aux input, USB, Bluetooth streaming, CD/ MP3 and FM connectivity and 813 MB (usable out of 1GB) storage. It has 4 speakers, Speed sensing volume.

Storage:- The front and rear doors have map pockets & bottle holders, the middle of the seats in front have space for a full size 1 ltr bottle, Rear armrest have 2 glass holders as well.

Loaded with features:- Auto Folding & electrically adjustable outside mirrors, Dual airbags, Keyless start & go, Reversing Camera with electro chromic mirror, Reverse Parking Sensors, Rear a/c vent, 12V DC outlet both at the front and the rear, cooled glove box (might have missed few)

ACC :- The Automatic climate control does a wonderful job of cooling the cabin and in good time.

F.E.:- I got 23 kmpl tank-full to tank-full method.

What I Don’t:-

The 3cyl, 71bhp, 180Nm, 1.1-litre turbo-diesel is the least powerful one as far its competition goes. Part throttle response is good, but a major chunk of power is available only between 2,000-3,500rpm. So overtaking on double lane road needs planning; you'll need to downshift a gear, but for the sedate driver like me its not a problem.

Auto-locking doors, this is sorely missed.

FE calculations on the MID and a dual tone horn, Sad to see these basic features missing on an otherwise feature loaded car!

The spare tire is a normal one not an alloy.

Interior- Front

The interiors wear a colour combination of black & beige. The seats are nicely designed bucket seats for comfortable drive, only the integrated neck restraints look out of place in such a feature-rich sedan. The driver side seat is adjustable for height and the adjustment range is very long. There are deep door pockets and integrated speakers on all four doors. The driver side door gets controls for power folding outside rear view mirrors which are also electrically adjustable. The 3 spoke steering wheel gets multi-function control including audio system control, phone controls and trip meter controls. The central console gets integrated audio system with Bluetooth, USB, Aux, CD and in-built media storage of 1 GB. The stereo has decent clarity by OEM standards. The audio volume is speed sensitive. There is automatic climate control system with ionizer for odor free air in cabin. There is also cooled glove box which is very useful for keeping the beverages cool on hot summer days. There is a 12 volt power socket just below the AC controls with USB and Aux-input controls.

The driver visibility is sufficient, including rearward vision when parking. The IRVM is electro chromic i.e. while driving at night IRVM automatically dims the reflection of the Head light focus of the vehicle behind you. The reverse camera display is located on the IRVM which makes it easy to park. 4 rear parking sensors are also provided which has audible feedback.

Interior - Rear

Rear legroom is adequate. I am 5'9'' and was comfortable sitting behind my own driving position. The seats are well cushioned. There is a rear AC vent for the comfort of passengers at rear & it does its job well. You can adjust the airflow direction on either side & When the backseat is empty, you can shut these blower vents off. There is a 12 volt power socket at the rear for charging phones, laptops etc. There is also a foldable arm-rest with cup-holders at the middle on the rear seat.

Small But Significant Things

The seat adjustment lever takes the shape of the seat on the edge.

Press the DISP button to turn off the screen to avoid distraction at night.

Front passenger door gets a request sensor too.

Boot open symbol on Instrument cluster

Nice integration of the windshield washer.

Attachments

Heartiest congratulations on your Xcent.
Nice crisp review of your car you shared.Loved the first picture of this stance.
Enjoy your ride and keep updating your ownership thread.
Take that dealers stickers off your cars rear.Spoils the looks.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Vijay...
You are right those dealer stickers are spoiling the looks, will remove them soon.

Congrats martand_d for your beauty.. Xcent looks fabulous in silver color and really complements the car.

FE of 23 KMPL looks really cool figure .

Teach me some trick to get this high FE as I also uses the Hyundai i20 Crdi and never ever got more than 14-15 [:)]

Cheers !!!

xs4deepak, congratulations on your i20.
Xcent and i20 are two different vehicles with different diesel engines under the hood.Yours is a power rocket mill that hyundai came out firstly with their getz and then to i20.
If the said FE is on your regular city driven conditions that its how much you would get.

Thread Starter #9
Congrats martand_d for your beauty.. Xcent looks fabulous in silver color and really complements the car.

FE of 23 KMPL looks really cool figure .

Teach me some trick to get this high FE as I also uses the Hyundai i20 Crdi and never ever got more than 14-15 [:)]

Cheers !!!
Thanks for the compliments xs4deepak..
xcent has 1.1ltr engine while i20 is packed with 1.4 ltr so the mileage figure is going to affect. As vijay said if you are getting 14-15 FE in city then its totally ok, on highways you will get 17-18 for sure.

Congratulations on your valued purchase !!Wish you many happy and safe miles.

Please update on rear bench space, ride quality, performance and recent FE.

Pankaj

Thread Starter #12
Thanks pankajdude & kukku_k for your wishes.
after 1st service I got FE of 22 kmpl tankful to tankful method. Though Xcent has 1.1 ltr. under hood it has nice Ride quality, even on the speed of 130 (which I thought was more than enough) car remains planted on ground, didnt notice any vibrations or anything unusual, just 1 thing after slowing down to take the 100+ mark this little 1.1 ltr motor takes lil time.

@ pankajdude: attaching rare bench leg space photo for your reference

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
Hello guys,
today I installed Rogerab to my Xcent, which is made up of polyether material. It Restores Car Height by 2.5" to 3" and improves car Suspension.

Attachments

Top Bottom