Mahindra Scorpio S10 (White): Introducing the Beastly Pegasus Jr.

Thread Starter #1
SECTION ONE:

Dear TAI-GERS, this is the First Introductory part of my Ownership Review and Experience, please enjoy the read and let me know (Damn I am Excited). [:D]

Honest Disclaimer: All the Opinions and Reviews are Entirely from my Personal Point of View, Sincere Apologies in Advance for any Mistake or Comments [cry]

Background and Detailed Buying Overview:

00.jpg

000.jpg

The review cannot start without mentioning my First Own Beast, Scorpio Sle (2012), (The Pegasus). Actually my craziness for cars, specially driving started way back, secretly taking the keys and crashing my dad’s car in the garage! (Lets not get into that).

I always had a thing for those Big, Butch cars that gives a beautiful all round view, and while driving you feel like King of the road due to the high seating position with a considerable road presence.

Thus, the segment of my Own car (and the ones to follow) was pre-decided, an SUV it is.

So finally when I came back from my first sail, started with a detailed research between the only Two sorted out choices to fit in my budget

1. Mahindra Scorpio Sle

2. TATA Safari

After few detailed and repeated test drives I finally went for option 1 because it checked all the boxes of my list of requirements. That’s the Birth of my Very Dear Pegasus on June 2012. Ownership of Pegasus was just 2 yrs, but she has been driven for only 1 year, covering Glorious 45000 Kms of Indian Highways. Actually I really didn’t have any plans to sell her off.

One fine morning I suddenly had a crazy idea to check the market value just in case I changed my mind, and try and test the XUV500. A casual advertisement was put up on OLX and QUICKR. Co-incidentally an e-mail came that night in my inbox.

Untitled.jpg

And this first look really made me crazy, so next day, the 15th I went to Shree Automotive, Topsia to know about the car and book for it, guess just became flattered by the teaser looks.

Reaching the showroom I realized that I was a bit too early as the sales staff went from the showroom to be briefed on the new changes and features available with the New Gen Scorpio.

So I Came back next day with high hopes and my chequebook, determined to book one in the first slot.

The Sales Executive greeted me with a smile, showed me the teaser pics, explained few of the available features.

Frankly I seemed to have got a special treatment because I took the Pegasus from the same showroom, so paid the initial booking amount (A fully refundable Rs.20,000) and just waited patiently for the live release webcast.

Saw the entire webcast and after a long explanation of the featured changes when they finally unveiled the beast, I had mixed feeling and the only thought in my mind was to see her in flesh, so I immediately rushed to the showroom, to attend the unveiling.

Had some snacks, a nice welcome dance was presented before the unveiling commenced, and finally the moment came to see the New Gen Scorpio in flesh. Few attached pictures of the unveiling.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

And that was it, Love at First Sight..for Me and my Wifey.[clap]

Saw the long queue in front of the Test Drive vehicle, so I snatched the sales executive from the crowd and told him to give me the cost break-up and book one immediately, before the other guys jumps on for booking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Re: MAHINDRA SCORPIO S10 (WHITE), Introducing the Beastly Pegasus Jr.

The Models and their Basic break-up provided to me initially were as Follows (He told will be amended further) :

Untitled 1.jpg

The Highlighted model in White was booked for me. (Also they didn’t had the S4 4X4 details with them)[frustration]

Thread Starter #3

QUICK FIRST LOOK AND SOME POINTERS FOR THE S10:

EXTERIORS AND DESIGN:

1. Aggressive looks, the curvaceous bonnet with bold lines and the projector headlamps coupled with “Wolverine Claw” mark highlights in the front grill really adds up to it.

2. The Honeycomb Grills, a good background for the frontal design elements.

3. The Big wheel arches compensated by the stunningly designed 17” Alloys.

4. Hydraulic-Assisted bonnet, housing the same old but refined MHAWK 2.2Ltr Heart of the car.

5. The bottom metallic wrap around in the front bumper looks tough and enhances the SUV look.

6. Silver finished Fender Bezel with a honeycomb design houses the Side Indicators and the Silver finish Scorpio Logo embedded in the side cladding together kills the monotony off the sides.

7. The stern, primarily looks to be overdone but it kind of grew on me.

8. The Two-tone Applique really breaks the monotony of the huge metallic stern door.

9. The LED tail lamps, indeed a treat to watch. The side puddle lamps are shifted from the footboard to below the door position which ensures better visibility.

10. Getting into the car seems to be a bit easier than my Pegasus Sr. (Dunno why?)[confused], U no longer feel like climbing onto the car, rather get into the car.

INTERIORS AND FEATURES (OH this is going to be a long list! ) [;)]:

1. The interior colors really give you a premium and refreshed feel with the Dark Gray-White dual toned dash.

2. A Big improvement in the Plastic Quality.

3. The seats felt to be wider with an extension providing good under thigh support.

4. Seat fabric seems to be of good quality, its smooth and very well finished.

5. The seating position felt to be same with a commanding view all around.

6. Gear knob was good to grip.

7. The A/C vents seems to be re-designed for better air-flow with classy chrome inserts and is easy to operate.

8. The Instrument cluster had a 3D effect with Cool Neon Blue highlights, looks sporty.

9. The instrument cluster had a lot of warning lamps (XUV style) with the digital driver MID in the center.

10. Finishing all throughout the interior was neat and upmarket, no scope to criticize really.

11. Power Window controls are now shifted to the driver side door (A Real Blessing)

12. The Steering feels really good to hold, design inspired by the XUV, with Cruise Control, Speed Up-Down, Volume adjustment, Call Reject-Receive and Source buttons on it.

13. Center console is adorned by the large 6” touchscreen infotainment system with a better touch response including features like Navigation, Bluetooth connectivity, CD-DVD player, Aux port, USB input and various information such as Tyretronics, Intellipark etc. (Similar to the XUV but felt better)

14. Middle row seems to be more comfortable due to the redesigned seats, other than that the legroom, headroom, boot space and every other detail remains similar to the outgoing Scorpio.

15. The middle row A/C vents seems to be wider and different with chrome inserts. The doors are provided with small cubbyholes to accommodate your cellphone.

MY VERDICT: Overall the Interiors seem to be very Premium, Classy, Comfortable, Fully loaded with Features and Dual Airbags for Driver and the Passenger.

Thread Starter #4

TEST DRIVE: [drive]

Now it was time for a detailed test drive of the beast. I did wait patiently for quite some time to get my hands on the vehicle but it was in vain, the queue seems to be a never ending one. So told my sales manager to arrange for a test drive whenever possible and left. To my surprise the very next day evening a guy calls me up informing that the test drive vehicle is ready at my doorstep, I just ran to the gate and hopped on the driver seat and strapped myself, just pressed the clutch and Vroom (Micro Hybrid Technology)…..the detailed Test Drive Begins

1. The Engine felt really quiet and smooth. (May be because of the brand new condition)

2. Cabin felt to be better insulated and silent than before.

3. Steering was comfortable to hold and felt bit more responsive.

4. The shorter gear shift ratios really helped in tackling city traffic, less shifting of gears in turn helps to reduce fatigue while driving.

5. The Height adjustment is indeed a good feature to help you achieve a high and commanding driving platform.

6. The Rear glass offered a bit less visibility compared to the outgoing car due to the smaller glass area.

7. Effects of the car being a tad bit lighter could be felt due to an increased pick up and the brakes really hold good, though the spongy feeling still remains but eventually you get used to the brakes while driving.

8. Drove the car through a severely damaged road under construction, and I was like WOW, that really feels comfortable and much better, a real improvement in ride comfort.

9. Next on list was the Body Roll test, drove the beast in variable speeds around the circular islands of Saltlake and it was indeed a striking reduction in body roll. The car was turning very efficiently hugging the road, frankly speaking I was actually trying to throw around the showroom guy seating behind, but could not do it effectively!![clap]

10. Overall satisfied, I went for a final High Speed Stability test and felt the improved ride quality and high speed stability, the car did not feel out of control anytime even while bouncing on the undulations of the road.

MY VERDICT: M&M really seems to have worked on the complaints and suggestions made by the existing Scorpio owners, Full Marks to the team.
One Very Important Point one should understand that the New Gen Scorpio is still a high car with a higher Center of Gravity placed on a ladder-on-frame chassis, so a residual body roll has to be there (That’s Science). Since I have been driving the outgoing model of Scorpio for past 2 years, I honestly could feel the drastic changes made to the vehicle from the Inside as well as on the Outside.

As per my conclusion goes, it can NOT be called as
“THE OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE”
instead should go well with:[/B]
“AN ERRAND CHILD GROWN UP, NOW MATURE AND WELL-BEHAVED” &
“ THE BEAST THOUGH VERY ANGRY IS NOW WELL TAMED”

Thread Starter #5

FEW CONS/EXPECTATIONS FROM THE S10 (NOT REALLY A DEAL BREAKER for me):

1. The Handle-Like plastic structures in the aft.

2. The black sidesteps, they could have retained the metallic sidesteps from the outgoing model

3. Rear drum brakes could have been replaced by Disc brakes.

4. Leather-wrapped seats and steering wheel.

5. Some more storage space and cubbyholes.

6. The Rearview Camera should have been a factory fitted accessory.

7. Electronically Foldable ORVM’s.

8. ORVM embedded side indicators.

9. Roof-Mounted blowers, or a better provision for 2nd and 3rd row cooling.

10. DRL EYEBROWS (Substituting the LED ones)

MY ANSWERS/ OWN EXPLANATIONS TO SOME OF THE YOUTUBE REVIEWS AND COMMENTS BY “AUTO EXPERTS”[surprise] :

1. “The driver’s seat Height adjuster is inaccessible while the door is closed”
Very True, but according to me, I feel that the seat height needs to be adjusted just prior you commence driving and once only if you are the one who is going to drive it.(It’s not like you are growing any taller or vice-versa!) Also the other advantage which I feel is that the valet parking guy won’t be able to mess around with the height adjustment feature !

2. “The designers seems to have gone overboard with the rear design” –
Looks to be a true statement at a first glance. Actually I feel the purpose behind the black applique is to break the monotonous look of the huge metallic door, which really doesn’t look bulky and huge now. Though the chunky Handle-like plastic bits could have been designed better but seems to be a good substitute for the long reflector panel.

3. What I personally feel that it would take an Ex-Scorpio Owner to actually well understand and review the changes made to the new gen Scorpio.

4. So, the Top 3 Video reviews according to me are:

a) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epJqtMGk4Jk

b) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBCFiBKjjsI

c) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7neXluBmA

Misguiding Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrWhi6vuoUE
(This smart guy seems to be a sedan guy and also I doubt, he has ever driven a Scorpio. Other thing is that he is not well briefed on the features, corrective actions taken for the New Scorpio).

WALKAROUND VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2sEQqASPU

TV COMMERCIAL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZHXclEj-Q

Actually I had asked for the delivery on Dhanteras but sadly it got delayed (the reason is really annoying but can’t really mention it in the forum), now waiting patiently for completion of the registration and delivery!

I feel very sad and miss my Pegasus Sr. every single day, but I do hope that the Pegasus Jr.(the S10) slowly makes up for my loss.

(POST DELIVERY PICS COMING SOON THIS WEDNESDAY NIGHT)

Hi Rohit,
Many reviewers too fell the same about the Rear Door design of Scorpio. Front seems to be more refreshed, but rear was kind of very different model to accept when we compare the old model.

Rohit,
Man congratulation for the new Scorpio and let me tell you I am in the same boat with you! Waiting patiently for my Red S10! Written a review of the buying process!
I like your style of writing! Shows your passion for the automobiles.
Being a Scorpio fan I can tell you only we understand this vehicle so our own experience counts more than any review or test drive. This s my second Scorpio as well and you can see my old beast in my review.
Waiting for pictures of the new beast! By the way your quotes are superb. Let me add one more
" The Tamed Pitbull"

3. What I personally feel that it would take an Ex-Scorpio Owner to actually well understand and review the changes made to the new gen Scorpio.
You are correct.

Being an ex-Scorpio owner myself, I can completely relate to what you say Rohit.[clap]

No wonder M&M has so many repeat customers for the Scorpio all over the place.

Also, when it comes to the ideal mix of fit and finish, reliability, features & fun-to-drive feel in its budget, "Nothing Else Will Do."[clap]

Here is one more video for your eyes.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ6b0q7KTd0

Happy Motoring and waiting for more pictures and details.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Congratulations rohit for booking NG Scorpio, get the delivery fast and post pictures.
Thank You Mukhesh! Pictures coming Up

Hi Rohit,
Many reviewers too fell the same about the Rear Door design of Scorpio. Front seems to be more refreshed, but rear was kind of very different model to accept when we compare the old model.
Very Correct, but the aft design was not strong enough for breaking the deal for me and truly speaking, it really grew on me now for which i would like to quote:
"We really adjust with the flaws of our loved ones and learn to grow with them!"

That was a hot catch [;)]
Hot Indeed , Thank You Vishnu.

Rohit,
Man congratulation for the new Scorpio and let me tell you I am in the same boat with you! Waiting patiently for my Red S10! Written a review of the buying process!
I like your style of writing! Shows your passion for the automobiles.
Being a Scorpio fan I can tell you only we understand this vehicle so our own experience counts more than any review or test drive. This s my second Scorpio as well and you can see my old beast in my review.
Waiting for pictures of the new beast! By the way your quotes are superb. Let me add one more
" The Tamed Pitbull"
Shijose Thank You So Much for those kind words, Your Quote fits just perfectly for the beast indeed. Its so true, the waiting period really makes you impatient. I just used to watch those youtube videos to control my patience, so i do understand your state of mind, but don't worry just a few more days for you to get your hand on the beast!

Congrats Rohit for your new Ride .. Looks stunning ..Did you consider / test driven the safari storme before finalizing your decision.
Thank You xs4Deepak. Yes I did 2 serious Test drives of the Storme, XUV, Duster and Terrano.
Frankly loved the Storme, true blue SUV, very spacious and premium. But the interiors and design really felt Dated, also there was a turbo lag before u feel the power kicking in (Not healthy for those bumper to bumper city traffic). Finally I felt the bulkiness of the car during every maneuver and the Tata ASS quality is well below average out here. So these factors contributed as a deal breaker for me (No Offense to the Proud Owners of the Awesome Vehicle). Others really didn't appeal to me as a proper SUV.

Congrats for the new arrival Rohit ! The new Scorpio looks brilliant inside out. Wish u miles of happy and safe motoring.
@Bruteforce Thank You

You are correct.
Being an ex-Scorpio owner myself, I can completely relate to what you say Rohit.No wonder M&M has so many repeat customers for the Scorpio all over the place.Also, when it comes to the ideal mix of fit and finish, reliability, features & fun-to-drive feel in its budget, "Nothing Else Will Do."
Happy Motoring and waiting for more pictures and details.
Thank You and :agree:with everything you said.

Look at Me, Really "Nothing Else did for Me"

Thread Starter #13
Finally TAI-GERS, today I got my Hands on the New-Gen Scorpio,
My Pegasus Jr.
Since I got delayed due to miscellaneous reasons the delivery was taken in the evening.
I will Upload Some After-Dark Pictures for all of you to enjoy, and believe me the beast looks more Ferocious at Night, because the other cars just made way when i was behind with Just the LED brows and Fog lamps ON..[evil]
Now Let Pictures do the talking

Please Excuse the Quality of the pics, its just the cellphone camera[frustration]
Will do a grand photo shoot Very Soon..!

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
Now, since you all have seen the beast most in the day time pics,
P R E S E N T I N G[clap]
The New-Gen Scorpio at Night
Wont U just Fall In Love? [;)]

Attachments

Top Bottom