Mahindra Bolero Special Edition 2014

Thread Starter #1
A Mahindra Bolero Special edition came home yesterday evening. My first four wheeler was a Chevy Beat which had run just over 70,000 kms. This was exchanged in for the Bolero, hereafter referred to as 'Panda'

So here goes the purchase & initial drive impressions

Mahindra Bolero has been in my dreams for a long long time, maybe since it's launch when I was in School. We guys in Kerala are sure blessed to see various jeeps due to the terrain.
My first car selection also started from Mahindra showroom, but unfortunately it never materialised & I brought home a Chevy Beat. Now again a car purchase spree rekindled after almost 3 years with the Beat. But this time, I didn't need any selection, zeroed in on Bolero.

I had heard about the Special edition Bolero launched around March 2014, which was in my mind since it came with 'Rear Abs', the only factor I could get my family convinced.

So one fine day went to Sireesh, Yelahanka for a test drive. Had previously called up the earlier day, so the test drive vehicle was ready. For my wifey, this was the first drive in a Bolero.(She was against the ride quality in 'Jeep' or maybe pampered by the softly sprung 'Beat')
Started the vehicle & test drove both in bad as well as the Airport road. To my surprise, there wasn't any comments on the ride quality as such. It is said to strike the iron while it's hot. I knew this was my chance & immediately started on the buying procedure, asked the Sireesh guys to evaluate my car. Since it being a Sunday, they promised to send their person the next day. The guys the next day, did the evaluation & came with a quote less than even in my dreams. So the process got hit by a hurdle. In between my bro in law had contacted Anant Cars to come to my office for evaluation which also ended up in a low quote. Dejected, I thought of postponing my buying. But one Sunday, I ended up in India Garage(IG) for their quote. Met Mr Prasanna, who was courteous enough & from whom we came to know that there are only 2 or 3 special edition vehicles available in Bangalore, 1 with IG & the rest with Sireesh. He convinced us so well that I ended up booking the vehicle on 14th Sep 2014. He promised the evaluator will reach my office on Monday & it didn't happen. Gave me a reason that the guy was busy at some place else. Then they turned up on Tuesday & had my car evaluated. They didn't immediately give me any price, waite for 2 days & then gave me a quote slightly above than other dealers. So wen ahead with the deal & started for the loan. Here I went with Kotak Mahindra for which the agreement papers everything was done on Saturday, 20. They told me a delivery within 1 week. They refused to give me the VIN number citing some silly excuse. Anyway decided on the vehicle, so left it as such.

On the 27th of Sep 2014, I, along with my family went there at India Garage & took delivery of my 'Panda'. The picz during delivery are shared above.

As far as my purchase is concerned, I'll give only average marks o India Garage since they made a lot of goof ups & even made me re think on my purchase a couple of times, all these because of the sales executive.

Initial Impression

The shade Pearl white looks good for the machine. It' quite a looker should I say. It came with Bridgestone Dueler shoes along with it. No alloys, came with wheel caps. Compared to normal ZLX bolero, this one came with black stepping boards. Also the graphics on the front sides are different & features checks. It has the special edition stickers on the sides & the spare tyre cover.Rest it is identical to any other Bolero.

Come inside & you have leather seats instead of fabric ones. The all digital display has odo, tacho, fuel gauge & temp gauge in addition to 2 trip meters. The MID on the central console above AC vents gives information on the date, time, day, gear position & buttons which can be pressed to toggle between the average fuel consumption & distance to empty. The seats are hard (compared to Beat), but the view from Drivers' seat is commanding even though it lacks height adjustment. As said umpteen times, the steering feels large in size & the front seats lack under thigh support. But You can adjust with this, within a couple of hour' drive. All the equipments seems to be ergonomically placed, along with the centrally placed power windows, which took some time to get used to. The middle row seat seems to be in generous with the under thigh support which resulted in lesser legroom for the middle row passengers. Still it isn't a problem for a family of people with shorter height.

Third row seats, I haven't used much other than for the luggage with the seats folded up. But still a short drive can be done with people upto 5'8'' max in the jump seats.

Start the ignition & you can here the 2.5l coming alive only if your windows are rolled down. The noise is so well insulated inside that even the horn seems to be meek. Slotting the gears initially was a task as I found difficult to engage 3rd. But eventually I learnt it. The gears throws are longer with short ratio which will be fun to drive in City. The clutch seems to be neither light nor heavy to operate. The power steering is good enough for rides upto 100kmph beyond which I haven't tested.
The engine sounds refined & power band starts early from around 1500 rpm. My first drive after delivery was into the peak traffic in Bangalore, felt comfortable immediately after 5 min. Less tiresome since you don't have to guess where the boot of the other vehicle ends, or what lies at the corner of the road. (compared to Beat) Had been keeping the vehicle under 2000 rpm for the initial period. Filled up diesel almost 60l (full capacity), 8l coupon given by Indian garage immediately after delivery.
Suspension seems to be on the harder side, but can munch up small speed breakers & pot holes smoothly.
The initial readings in MID show a mileage of around 15-16 if you drive at 70kmph. My first long trip is planned for Mookambika temple during Dussehra period. Hope to give an elaborate experience view of the vehicle by then.

Picz will be updated then & there.

Attachments

This was exchanged in for the Bolero, hereafter referred to as 'Panda'
A Bolero called "Panda"...!! Interesting.[lol]

Congratulations on the acquisition of one of India's best selling vehicles and a very rugged one at that.

Which variant is it and what is the price break up and what discounts did you get?

Any accessories planned?

Congrats on the new ride. Can you list out whats more special with this special edition (I mean, what are the changes w.r.t regular version)

Thread Starter #4
Thank you. I thought the name 'Panda' is synonymous to this lazy but capable enough machine.
I am yet to test all the functions in this machine. But as far the company goes, the various additions for this variant compared to other Bolero is
1. Different external graphics
2. Leather seats
3. Bluetooth enabled audio system
4. Blue vision headlamps ( nothing but blue coloured bulbs for parking lamps)
5. Rear Abs
6. Available only in pearl white shade

Thread Starter #7
Boss, As I mentioned these are the company's quotes for the variant details. From what I understand its a load sensing unit fitted to the rear wheels which comes to action when the rear wheels tend to lock up. Its even mentioned in the manual. I'll try to dig up and give you more details. I think certain trucks have this feature.

Thread Starter #9
Adding a few exterior picz...

Under the hood the 2.5l engine, the battery bay, the insulation material underneath & the radiator fan with a Tata stickering.

The rest of the picz as in the order:

Blue bulb for parking lamps
Special edition stickering on the sides & on the spare wheel cover
m2dicr - Common rail tech on DI engine in BS4 guise
Rear wash & wipe
The gap b/w the bumper & the body
Single horn provided

Attachments

Thread Starter #10
Interior picz to follow:

Right side switch gears - Headlight leveller, Engine on/off (Microhybrid tech as per Mahindra) & Foglamp switch

Kenwood Headunit with bluetooth & USB connectivity
ODO pic
MID on the central console first one with instant avg & the second with distance to empty
Cabin light with theatrical dimming effect
Front passenger vanity mirror
Defogger on the dash
Central locking control on the driver side (unlocked on the pic & locked in the second) - Opposite to normal car locks

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
Interior picz continued...

Driver side door pockets
ABC pedals
Rear legroom with driver seat adjusted for my driving
Special edition embroidered seats
Ignition key illumination - Funny thing is it illuminates only till the driver doors are open. So you have to insert the key before closing the door
Power windows, handbrake & cup holders on the central area
Key fob
Remote fuel lid opener & bonnet opener lever, underneath the steering,on the right side.
Rear seat belt - non retractable
Bluetooth microphone in b/w the drivers & front passenger roof

Attachments

Hi,
Congratulations on your New Panda. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues. Hope you are going to upgrade to alloys soon.

Thread Starter #13
Thankyou.

Recently did a 1500kms round trip to Mookambika temple, Mangalore, Murudeswar & Jog falls.

Panda performed well with 4 passengers & luggage. Since it was running in period, kept the rpm less than 2000 all through. Few of the observation about my ride:

Negatives

1) There were vibrations creeping in, at a certain rpm (around 1500 I gz) which went off once that rpm is crossed. It is more visible in 4th & 5th gears.
2) There was a creaking sound at full turns of steering wheel - need to check at first service (or is it urgent)
3) 2nd gear seems to be under powered - even if the momentum is there, vehicle seems to stall.

Positives

1) Comfortable ride, should I say, for a MUV
2) Mileage - On an avg could get 16-17km/l. (The MID showed a maximum of 22.5kmpl at highways @70kmph & the worst shown was 9.9kmpl @ ghat sections)
3) 3rd gear seems to act like automatic in ghat section irrespective of the gradient, of course with momentum.
4) Compared to a hatch, the vehicle dimensions are clear cut, in negotiating vehicles in village roads.

Distance covered till date ~ 2600kms

Last edited:
Since it was running in period, kept the rpm less than 2000 all through
Hey Rukesh congrats your panda looks awesome and is really a dream come true,
can you please tell us
1) How many kms is the running period for bolero and what is the max rpm that we can go in this tenture
2) How is the AC performance since it is october heat did you get a chance to make use of it

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Thank you Konkantrip.

I don't remember seeing any specific mentioning for running in period anywhere for Bolero. But as a thumb rule, I keep it under 2000 rpm or at a max speed of 70 - 80km/h in any vehicle.
This I judiciously follow for a minimum of 2000 kms.

All through the journey the AC was kept on with blower toggled between 1 & 2 speeds. This was more than enough to keep the cabin comfortable. Only when starting the vehicle, after parked under direct sun, I had used AC with blower speed at 3. Also the left knob, which is for controlling the temperature, was kept mid way all through the journey.

Top Bottom